Volunteering Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpa15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last week, I realized that I have accumulated over 200 hours volunteering in the hospital. I have worked in the psych ward, at the info booth, and for the past 6 months in the ER.

I was wondering what you thought: is there any point in continuing? I mean, would it be that much better if I had 300, 400 hours? I was thinking of trying to volunteer in another area (not in a hospital)...

Members don't see this ad.

I think continuing to volunteer yeah after year shows commitment. I would say switch it up and volunteer somewhere else, unless you enjoy being at the psych ward, etc. Definitely find a place you are genuinely interested in. Sometimes it takes trying a couple of places out.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you still like it and think that you are getting something out of it, stay. If it's getting old and you pretty much know how things go, volunteer somewhere else. You've been there long enough that switching places won't make you indecisive or something. But similarly you won't be faulted for staying in the same place if you like it better. You don't have to have like 5 different hospitals you've volunteered at or something on your AMCAS. It's more quality vs. quantity.

Some schools want more. The University of Colorado, for example, prefers 500 hours (combination of volunteering and shadowing).

Some schools want more. The University of Colorado, for example, prefers 500 hours (combination of volunteering and shadowing).

:thumbup:

Schools vary. Denver is definitely high on hours but their former dean of admissions (who set that rule in the first place) is now one of the top guys at the AAMC. His influence may (or may not) push other schools to push for more hours from applicants as well. 200 hours is on the low but acceptable side, though, if that's your primary for clinical experience. I'd continue. It shows commitment and the quality of your experience (as well as your clinical LOR) is likely to increase if you stay in 1 dept longer....