This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sasukeuchiha33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I just finished up my first year of college and started clinical volunteering last month. I have already amassed about 20 hours, which I know isn’t really that much, but if I do around 20 hours every month over the next 2 years that will leave me with well over 400 hours in the clinic.

My question has to do with where I should volunteer. I hate to sound like one of those people who is just volunteering for the applications, but I want to do what is best. I am currently volunteering in a free clinic. Would medical schools prefer if I also volunteered at a hospital, or volunteered at a hospital instead of this clinic? I really love the clinic I’m volunteering at, and would love to show serious commitment to it by doing all my clinical volunteering there, but if med schools want to see variety then that’s a different story. Anyway, please let me know what you think! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to pre-allo where this is more appropriate.

And schools won't care so long has you have experience in a medical setting.

It doesn't matter where you do it as long as you do it. If you like the free clinic then stay there. But if you want a change of scenery then try the hospital out. You'll likely get to do more in a free clinic than in the hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
It doesn't matter where you do it as long as you do it. If you like the free clinic then stay there. But if you want a change of scenery then try the hospital out. You'll likely get to do more in a free clinic than in the hospital.
I agree. And if in a few years you'd like to broaden your experience/try something new, you could consider a hospital, skilled-level nursing home, hospice, etc, for a different venue.

Reactions: 1 users