Volunteering/Leadership Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ljree1613

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I was involved in a volunteering activity that I became a leader of my junior year. I spent about half my time with the planning, organizing, scheduling the activity and then the other half actually volunteering. If I want to count this as a "volunteer-medical" activity, how should I count the hours on AMCAS? My total hours for this org will be very different from my actual volunteering hours (and I don't have space to separate them into two activities).

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I was involved in a volunteering activity that I became a leader of my junior year. I spent about half my time with the planning, organizing, scheduling the activity and then the other half actually volunteering. If I want to count this as a "volunteer-medical" activity, how should I count the hours on AMCAS? My total hours for this org will be very different from my actual volunteering hours (and I don't have space to separate them into two activities).
Presumably, you aren't getting paid for the leadership component and all the time dedicated to this organization are volunteer hours, right? Options:

-Tag is as Volunteer - Medical, name the activity something that evokes both the volunteer position and the leadership roles, put the total for both components in the Total Hours box, but then in the description of each role (I gather that the leadership aspect is totally not clinical), state the % of the time that goes toward each, the dates that the leadership spanned, and that leadership hours are included above (in the total Hours box).

-OR, put only the clinical volunteer hours in the total hours box, but then add in the narrative box that Leadership hours are not included above, but total is xx.

-OR tag it as Other, as then it's OK to have multiple components without adding a disclaimer. But don't do this if you have no other clinical entry.

-Alternatively, you could group one of the two components with another similar activity and give the second role its own space, taking care not to double count the hours.

Thank you @Catalystik !! I think I will go with your first option and split up the hours in my description as a "NOTE"

Reactions: 1 user