VSAS and Radiology aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steve_Zissou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! So I'm two weeks into third year and realize that I have no idea how the VSAS timeline works, if it's working with COVID, and what the general guidelines are for away rotations in Radiology. I'm really interested in a couple of the Northwest programs and am wondering if I should apply for away rotations to my top program or all the programs I want to rotate at. Also, when do we send that application out?

Thanks all, this is a crazy year.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

I'm a current 4rth year DO student going into DR and have been grappling with VSAS. Are you trying to get away rotations this year? Or for your 4rth year?

If it's for your 4rth year, you should probably start at least kinda looking around in February for what programs you want to rotate at and what their requirements are.

If you are looking for stuff this year, it has been VERY difficult to snag rads rotations in the fall for us 4rth years because of the increased requirements for rotating at different institutions (e.g. on program in particular I wanted to rotate at required you be in a bordering state with no home radiology program and attend an LCME-accredited school (so... an MD school... despite being a very DO-friendly program.)) I've had success with one rotation on VSAS for radiology in my home state where I have close personal ties. Aside from this, I have only been able to secure a rotation because I knew someone in the scheduling department at a university here in the KC, MO.

I do think as the year progresses, it will become much easier to snag away rotations (e.g. January & beyond) because less 4rth years are going to be applying for those if you are looking for stuff in that time range. If you are looking for something like this, applications are open now at a lot of places and you should probably be applying for them so you can secure them.

As to what the guidelines are with COVID & radiology rotations, it is completely program-dependent so you'll have to go onto the programs' websites you are interested in, go to their "visiting students" section, & read what they have about COVID on there. If you have any questions, they usually have a coordinators' contact information you can use to reach out.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s too early to worry about this right now. Start looking into it in December. Maybe then schools will actually have a plan in place for all of this. Your school will send you info sometime this semester with what you need to get into VSAS.

A lot of programs that are even currently on VSAS now have already cancelled their rads rotations for the year. It’s an absolute mess. The only rotation I was fortunate enough to land was from outside VSAS.

The radiology away isn’t actually super important for your app. Plenty of DOs match university programs by just rotating with community preceptors and getting generic letters from them so as long as you can at least achieve that it should be okay.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like December is when I should start looking then. I’m not looking to do it this year, it would be for earlyish 4th year, maybe closer to the match, I’m not sure yet. The program I’m shooting for has only 1 DO on their roster and is a large university program.

I also have no idea what my rotation schedule is even going to be for the next year, so I guess I can’t really start planning much yet.