Navy Waiting for EMDP2 Navy Selection Board Results!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1) HMCM Hendricks took over during last cycle, but HMC told us not to hesitate to send people her way with questions, as she is still involved. Unless that’s changed in the last two months, she is definitely more talkative.

2) I can PM you with more details about my own package.

3) The program is great. They told us we would have the opportunity to go recruiting for it during breaks if we want, and I am definitely planning on it. This is a great program.

As far as living arrangements, you can live in the dorms if you want, but you pay rent. Most people live in town, because the rent for sizable houses is really low.

A typical day is like a typical day for any other student. Go to class, go home. Some people stay on campus and study, some people don’t. One day a week, we wear our uniforms.

There are some additional things that get thrown in there, and you still have to do your PRTs and annual cyber awareness trainings, but they give you a laptop so that you can access MNP from home (no need to go to USUHS).

Do you have HMC’s email?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have HMC’s email?
Chief (SW/FMF)
Khamvah Phetkhamyath
Defense Health Headquarters
Bureau of Medicine and Surgery
Special Pays (M13)
7700 Arlington Blvd
Falls Church, VA 22042-5115
(703) 681-9241
DSN: 761-9241
[email protected]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Chief (SW/FMF)
Khamvah Phetkhamyath
Defense Health Headquarters
Bureau of Medicine and Surgery
Special Pays (M13)
7700 Arlington Blvd
Falls Church, VA 22042-5115
(703) 681-9241
DSN: 761-9241
[email protected]

She’ll answer the phone, but she prefers email. I found her very helpful. She has taken a personal interest in the program even though she’s made Master Chief the primary contact.

Members don't see this ad :)
She’ll answer the phone, but she prefers email. I found her very helpful. She has taken a personal interest in the program even though she’s made Master Chief the primary contact.
I will second that! She also said that she personally informs people (via email / phone) when she receives the packages. I'm still waiting on my confirmation. Dang Postal System!

I will second that! She also said that she personally informs people (via email / phone) when she receives the packages. I'm still waiting on my confirmation. Dang Postal System!

The address on the instruction and the address in the post office computer were slightly different, and it almost gave me ulcers. I got signature confirmation, and the two days between someone signing for it and HMC emailing me were so nerve-racking. I thought it went to some random building where an intern chucked it in the trash haha.

The address on the instruction and the address in the post office computer were slightly different, and it almost gave me ulcers. I got signature confirmation, and the two days between someone signing for it and HMC emailing me were so nerve-racking. I thought it went to some random building where an intern chucked it in the trash haha.
Yes l was a nervous wreck when HMCM stated he didn’t receive my package even though tracking said it had been delivered

Yes l was a nervous wreck when HMCM stated he didn’t receive my package even though tracking said it had been delivered
Mine says delivered too. So much freaking out....LOL!

Mine says delivered too. So much freaking out....LOL!

Yeah it sometimes takes a few days to get to them. If it says it was delivered, you should be good to go.

Good luck. Not much you can do now except pray!

Yeah it sometimes takes a few days to get to them. If it says it was delivered, you should be good to go.

Good luck. Not much you can do now except pray!

Yes good luck to everyone who applied. It’s out of our hands now. I pray we make it! I’ll revisit this thread once the results release.

I applied for this FY18. How much does ACT/SAT score weigh on deciding between applicants versus the rest of your package i.e PS, LOR, HCE etc.?

The bad news is that it doesn't. You can't compare an engineer with some nursing courses to a corpsman who treats patients all day every day (or even one who works in a lab like two of our cohort members this year). Also, this year all five of us have significant medical experience.

However, the good news is that medical experience, while helpful in that it can get you good topics for your PS and good letters, doesn't seem to be required. This year, the Navy is the only branch where every member had medical experience. Half our cohort has none. Additionally, last year, three of the original five Navy selectees were not corpsmen, and one was an MM. He had to drop out of the program, but the alternate who replaced him was an HM--which means that MM beat out at least one corpsman.

I'll say it again. Email HMC. She will tell you flat out if you are competitive. However, with good scores and great letters and PS, you can get in with little to no experience. You just really have to sell it.
I emailed Chief and did not get a direct response as to whether or not my package was competitive. Her reply was very confusing

I applied for this FY18. How much does ACT/SAT score weigh on deciding between applicants versus the rest of your package i.e PS, LOR, HCE etc.?

We were told during orientation that your grades and scores get you through the door, then they rank you based on your experience, LORs, and PS. A 3.4 with glowing letters and a well-written PS will definitely have a good chance.

I emailed Chief and did not get a direct response as to whether or not my package was competitive. Her reply was very confusing

Weird. I asked her whether my SAT and GPA were competitive and she gave me a very direct, five word answer.

If you want to PM me your scores, I can tell you how they stack up against my cohort. Obviously it all depends on your application year, but I can give you some idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope it wasn't "Sorry dingus - no WAY dude!"

Edit: and, if you know the filter, you know for what word "dingus" is substituted.

I’m in cohort 4, so it was more like “yes your scores are competitive.” But what you said is what I was expecting!

Reactions: 1 users
New to the thread heard some good things are passed. Here to pick brains and assist where I can applied FY18.

New to the thread heard some good things are passed. Here to pick brains and assist where I can applied FY18.

Welcome. I’m in cohort 4 and check this forum fairly regularly. Feel free to ask any questions. I will say that it’s an amazing program.

Reactions: 2 users
Welcome. I’m in cohort 4 and check this forum fairly regularly. Feel free to ask any questions. I will say that it’s an amazing program.
Can you talk about your experience in the program a little more? There's lots of discussio regarding the application process, but I'm sure many are interested in what your average day looks like. Things like courseload, military demands while in school, time spent studying, resources available to you from the program, working with your shipmates in the program, MCAT preparation, shadowing time, PT, GMT requirements (annual turkey fryer training ;)), brag sheets/midterms/evals (since many PO1's just received theirs), CoC for the Navy (are you 5 your own division? Or are all Navy from both cohorts in the same division? LPO/LCPO/DIVO/DH? Are you all considered TAD to GMU from USU for muster purposes?) Support from the CoC while in the program?

Those are just a few that popped into my head (sorry if some are silly). But if there is more you'd like to share, I'm sure the many looking into this awesome program would be very interested to read about how the program is structured and what their expectations should be in the event they are selected.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Can you talk about your experience in the program a little more?

Absolutely!

There's lots of questions on the application process, but I'm sure many are interested in what your average day looks like. Things like courseload, military demands while in school, time spent studying, resources available to you from the program, working with your shipmates in the program, MCAT preparation, shadowing time, PT, GMT requirements (annual turkey fryer training ;)), brag sheets/midterms/evals (since many PO1's just received theirs), CoC for the Navy (are you 5 your own division? Or are all Navy from both cohorts in the same division? LPO/LCPO/DIVO/DH? Are you all considered TAD to GMU from USU for muster purposes?) Support from the CoC while on the program?

1. Courseload starts out light and ramps up. First semester, we have cell structure (which is a bio course mixed with biochem geared towards the MCAT) and lab, physics and lab, and gen chem I with lab. We are on campus every day, but we are only required to be on campus for class. We email muster by responding to a muster email three days per week.

Next semester we have genetics and lab, physics and lab, gen chem II and lab, calc I, and an in person Kaplan MCAT course.

The summer is 8 weeks long with 4 weeks each of orgo I and II.

For breaks, it depends on the break, but we just had a 5 day weekend for thanksgiving.

2. Time spent studying depends on the individual. We are a large cohort (24), so rather than study all together, we have formed smaller groups that study together.

As far as resources, we have office hours with the profs, recitation hours with the graduate TAs, and a tutor who is on campus 2 days per week that we can use. Some people go to all these things, some people don’t go to any. None of it is mandatory.

3. Military stuff: we have to wear our uniform once per week, and otherwise we just have to look like we aren’t homeless and shave.

No mandatory PT, but you still have to pass your prt.

Chain of command is an actual thing, but once you start class, you never see any of them. They have come down here like twice, and they were both announced, planned visits. No one drops in to check up on you, as you’re like 60-90 mins from them.

Your chain of command day to day is your service leader (the highest ranking person in your branch) and your class leader. That’s it.

Only annual training is IA and I think one other NKO, but they give you a laptop with CAC access so that you can do them from home. No safety standdowns or anything.

You do have to do evals. You will get a P. But it doesn’t matter, because they all go away when you commission.

I will say that the CoC from USUHS is as helpful as they can be, but you are far away, and there’s only so much they can do. We’ve had a couple people with issues that took a while to resolve.

4. As far as cohesion, we all work great together mostly. You will find the couple people you can’t stand and the couple people you super click with, and the rest will be people you get along with.

At the end of the day, you are getting paid to be a student. It’s awesome. I’m getting paid E-6 pay with all the benefits to go to school 30 hours per week, and I am going to be a doctor.

The professors do a LOT to make sure everyone is doing well. The program makes it really hard to fail, and essentially the only thing you’re on your own for is the MCAT.

I think cohort 3 had a 100% success rate in officially being accepted to USUHS. We are hoping for the same, but it’s really on you. If you take it seriously and put in the time to study, you will make it.

Those are just a few that popped into my head (sorry if some are silly). But if there is more you'd like to share, I'm sure the many looking into this awesome program would be very interested to read about how the program is structured and what their expectations should be in the event they are selected.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Let me know if I missed anything!

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely!

1. Courseload starts out light and ramps up. First semester, we have cell structure (which is a bio course mixed with biochem geared towards the MCAT) and lab, physics and lab, and gen chem I with lab. We are on campus every day, but we are only required to be on campus for class. We email muster by responding to a muster email three days per week.

Next semester we have genetics and lab, physics and lab, gen chem II and lab, calc I, and an in person Kaplan MCAT course.

The summer is 8 weeks long with 4 weeks each of orgo I and II.

For breaks, it depends on the break, but we just had a 5 day weekend for thanksgiving.

2. Time spent studying depends on the individual. We are a large cohort (24), so rather than study all together, we have formed smaller groups that study together.

As far as resources, we have office hours with the profs, recitation hours with the graduate TAs, and a tutor who is on campus 2 days per week that we can use. Some people go to all these things, some people don’t go to any. None of it is mandatory.

3. Military stuff: we have to wear our uniform once per week, and otherwise we just have to look like we aren’t homeless and shave.

No mandatory PT, but you still have to pass your prt.

Chain of command is an actual thing, but once you start class, you never see any of them. They have come down here like twice, and they were both announced, planned visits. No one drops in to check up on you, as you’re like 60-90 mins from them.

Your chain of command day to day is your service leader (the highest ranking person in your branch) and your class leader. That’s it.

Only annual training is IA and I think one other NKO, but they give you a laptop with CAC access so that you can do them from home. No safety standdowns or anything.

You do have to do evals. You will get a P. But it doesn’t matter, because they all go away when you commission.

I will say that the CoC from USUHS is as helpful as they can be, but you are far away, and there’s only so much they can do. We’ve had a couple people with issues that took a while to resolve.

4. As far as cohesion, we all work great together mostly. You will find the couple people you can’t stand and the couple people you super click with, and the rest will be people you get along with.

At the end of the day, you are getting paid to be a student. It’s awesome. I’m getting paid E-6 pay with all the benefits to go to school 30 hours per week, and I am going to be a doctor.

The professors do a LOT to make sure everyone is doing well. The program makes it really hard to fail, and essentially the only thing you’re on your own for is the MCAT.

I think cohort 3 had a 100% success rate in officially being accepted to USUHS. We are hoping for the same, but it’s really on you. If you take it seriously and put in the time to study, you will make it.

Let me know if I missed anything!
Great info!
You mentioned the Masters option, can you talk about that?
you will earn a masters through Emdp2 if you decide to do the research component in the second year. Not everyone does it, as it is extra work and completely optional.
Most people don’t do the masters. Once you get here and realize it’s really superfluous, there’s a good chance you’ll decide against it.
Is the Masters from GMU? Or is it from Georgetown? Would completing this Masters help when applying for residency?

Also, is ODS done in the summer at the completion of 2nd year, prior to med school?

Thanks for the feedback! I'm sure many people who Google the program will find their way to this thread and will be very glad they did.

Great info!
You mentioned the Masters option, can you talk about that?

The masters is optional. It is a masters in biology. You take 24 graduate credits (which you do with or without the masters) plus two research seminars and a thesis. You then have to defend the thesis to a 3 member committee.

Is the Masters from GMU? Or is it from Georgetown? Would completing this Masters help when applying for residency?

It’s from GMU. I’m sure it won’t hurt. They give you bonus points in the JGMESB (military match) for research, but I’m not sure how much an MS helps. If you get any pubs, it will.

Also, is ODS done in the summer at the completion of 2nd year, prior to med school?

Thanks for the feedback! I'm sure many people who Google the program will find their way to this thread and will be very glad they did.

Yes. Summer after second year before M1.

Reactions: 3 users

I didn’t get a direct answer either. All she asked was did i send my package in. Once I replied yes, she repiled with “Fantastic”

I didn’t get a direct answer either. All she asked was did i send my package in. Once I replied yes, she repiled with “Fantastic”

You can PM me your scores if you want. I can tell you if you’d have been competitive in the last year or two. Also, once you meet the minimums, it really is holistic. Your letters and PS matter.

Hello all,

New to the thread, I’m so glad I found this. I submitted my package for FY18 as well. I have the same questions with GPA and ACT requirements and how strict they are with it.

Hello all,

New to the thread, I’m so glad I found this. I submitted my package for FY18 as well. I have the same questions with GPA and ACT requirements and how strict they are with it.
They are strict about meeting the minimums, but as was mentioned, it seems to be pretty holistic beyond that. It doesn't hurt to have stronger GPA and ACT, but your personal statement overall package are much more representative of you.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Hello all,

They are strict about meeting the minimums, but as was mentioned, it seems to be pretty holistic beyond that. It doesn't hurt to have stronger GPA and ACT, but your personal statement overall package are much more representative of you.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Agree with my learned colleague here. At orientation, we were told that numbers get you past the front gate, but the rest of your app gets you in the door.

The minimums are the minimums. My application year had 3 people who did not meet them, and they weren’t considered. If you’re short on the SAT/ACT, study and retake. If it’s gpa, you will just have to try to take more courses. Additionally, they are now considering graduate gpa in lieu of undergrad, so you could start a masters and meet the minimums that way as well.

Thank y’all,

My GPA is 3.56 it’s my act score that’s below the minimum so I’m hoping they do take in consideration everything else. I still have an active LPN liscense which I hope is going to help me as far as experience.

Thank y’all,

My GPA is 3.56 it’s my act score that’s below the minimum so I’m hoping they do take in consideration everything else. I still have an active LPN liscense which I hope is going to help me as far as experience.

Hope for the best, but honestly, the program is getting more and more competitive every year. I would plan on retaking it and reapplying next year. We don't have anyone in our cohort who was below the minimums. There were a number of applicants who met the minimums, so they had plenty of people to pick from without having to dip into people who didn't meet the minimum numbers.

Your GPA is good. I'm sure if you study ahead of time and go take the SAT, you'll hit the minimum.

Hope for the best, but honestly, the program is getting more and more competitive every year. I would plan on retaking it and reapplying next year. We don't have anyone in our cohort who was below the minimums. There were a number of applicants who met the minimums, so they had plenty of people to pick from without having to dip into people who didn't meet the minimum numbers.

Your GPA is good. I'm sure if you study ahead of time and go take the SAT, you'll hit the minimum.
I know a girl from the 2016 cohort that was under the minimum on ACT. I also know a girl in 2017 cohort that was under the ACT minimum

I know a girl from the 2016 cohort that was under the minimum on ACT. I also know a girl in 2017 cohort that was under the ACT minimum

I’m in the 2017 cohort (cohort 4). There are only two Navy females, and they both took the SAT and met the minimums. One of them had the second highest GPA in our cohort. I’m not saying you have no shot. I’m just saying with as many people that are applying, they can afford to pick only people who have met the minimums. My year had twice the number of applicants as the year before.

You don’t have to take my advice, but I’ve successfully applied, been accepted, and am finishing my first semester. I’ve met with the people who pick who gets selected, so I’m not pulling this info out of my ass.

I’m in the 2017 cohort (cohort 4). There are only two Navy females, and they both took the SAT and met the minimums. One of them had the second highest GPA in our cohort. I’m not saying you have no shot. I’m just saying with as many people that are applying, they can afford to pick only people who have met the minimums. My year had twice the number of applicants as the year before.

You don’t have to take my advice, but I’ve successfully applied, been accepted, and am finishing my first semester. I’ve met with the people who pick who gets selected, so I’m not pulling this info out of my ass.
I appreciate the information your putting out and I’m not questioning any of it. I just don’t know why they told me personally otherwise. All I can do is hope at this point.
I am glad you made it into the program. How are classes going for you?

I appreciate the information your putting out and I’m not questioning any of it. I just don’t know why they told me personally otherwise. All I can do is hope at this point.
I am glad you made it into the program. How are classes going for you?

Not sure who you talked to. You can PM me if you want. I don't know about cohort 3, but we were specifically told for cohort 4 there were dozens of applicants, so the few that didn't qualify per the instructions were not considered. I don't want to bog this thread down anymore arguing over how hard they consider the minimums to be, but I will just say once again that the selection message for cohort 4 said that one of the issues some people had was not meeting all the requirements, which was reiterated during orientation.

You can't hit the ball if you don't swing, so it's still worth applying. You never know. They could see something great in you and make an exception. However, they also do appreciate persistence. We have a couple people in our cohort who applied twice to get in. They will remember you, so if you don't make it this year, definitely either retake the ACT or take the SAT and knock it out of the park. With your medical experience, if you have good letters and a good PS, you'll have a good shot.

I would definitely listen to those have been in the process and accepted. I have spoke with HMCM multiple times while completing my package and he stated repeatedly that You must meet the minimum or they wont even consider you. Before they send the packages to the board they take out the ones which do not meet the requirements.

I would definitely listen to those have been in the process and accepted. I have spoke with HMCM multiple times while completing my package and he stated repeatedly that You must meet the minimum or they wont even consider you. Before they send the packages to the board they take out the ones which do not meet the requirements.
I am listening to all three members who have been accepted. Thank you for the advice. Good luck on your finals I’m sure you will do great!

I am listening to all three members who have been accepted. Thank you for the advice. Good luck on your finals I’m sure you will do great!

We'll see. I'm studying like:

finals-are-here-and-so-are-the-memes-xx-photos-5.jpg

That's what he (and HMC) told us at orientation.

Good info as always. Thank you guys for taking the time to reply during your busy schedule. Good luck on finals. Grind it out!

Hey Guys,

Question: Do you still participate in the advancement examinations, say for the Chief's exam this upcoming January? The BUMEDINST says that eligibility is maintained for advancement IAW with the Navy Advancement Manual; however, I know the Navy Advancement Manual speaks only to MECP, STA-21, and the IPP. The NAVADMIN for the Chief's exam effectively quotes the NAM with regard to MECP, STA-21, and the IPP.
Any additional info would be much appreciated because I have learned that this program has been included into a number of references for a variety of things (i.e., SRB, Re-Enlistments, etc.) due to how recently it was established. Thanks again!

Hey Guys,

Question: Do you still participate in the advancement examinations, say for the Chief's exam this upcoming January? The BUMEDINST says that eligibility is maintained for advancement IAW with the Navy Advancement Manual; however, I know the Navy Advancement Manual speaks only to MECP, STA-21, and the IPP. The NAVADMIN for the Chief's exam effectively quotes the NAM with regard to MECP, STA-21, and the IPP.
Any additional info would be much appreciated because I have learned that this program has been included into a number of references for a variety of things (i.e., SRB, Re-Enlistments, etc.) due to how recently it was established. Thanks again!

Yes, you are required to participate in advancement exams. If you are eligible during the program, you will go to USUHS to take the exam that day. Advancement doesn’t change your eligibility. I advanced to E-6 after the selection message had been written, and we had multiple people advanced to E-7 after the program started. Just means more pay during the EMDP2.

Yes, you are required to participate in advancement exams. If you are eligible during the program, you will go to USUHS to take the exam that day. Advancement doesn’t change your eligibility. I advanced to E-6 after the selection message had been written, and we had multiple people advanced to E-7 after the program started. Just means more pay during the EMDP2.
Thanks, man! Good info, as always.

Speaking of advancing to E-7, does anyone know how Chief's Season works while within the program?

Speaking of advancing to E-7, does anyone know how Chief's Season works while within the program?

No one from my cohort is even eligible for Chief. Since you are required to be at classes except for emergencies or the occasional sick day, compounded with the fact that even if you make Chief, you’ll be commissioning less than two years later anyway, I doubt you’ll participate. You’d probably just be advanced—they may have you go to the pinning at USUHS or do something small at GMU. Not sure there, but we have done a couple awards presentations at GMU.

The couple people who advanced to E-7 in my cohort just put it on one day, but they were in other services, so I’m not sure if they have a “season.”

No one from my cohort is even eligible for Chief. Since you are required to be at classes except for emergencies or the occasional sick day, compounded with the fact that even if you make Chief, you’ll be commissioning less than two years later anyway, I doubt you’ll participate. You’d probably just be advanced—they may have you go to the pinning at USUHS or do something small at GMU. Not sure there, but we have done a couple awards presentations at GMU.

The couple people who advanced to E-7 in my cohort just put it on one day, but they were in other services, so I’m not sure if they have a “season.”
Hello all,
I know results came out really late this year. Did any of you get an email from chief letting you know results will be out in January?

Hello all,
I know results came out really late this year. Did any of you get an email from chief letting you know results will be out in January?

They came out super late last year. But I would take any timeline with a grain of salt, unfortunately. We were told a couple different dates. They will come out eventually. Just be patient.

They came out super late last year. But I would take any timeline with a grain of salt, unfortunately. We were told a couple different dates. They will come out eventually. Just be patient.
I know, I’m just anxious planning around a family and my husband and my PRD. The detailers don’t know what to do with us either lol