Waitlist Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RayneeDeigh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came home from a meeting with my advisor where we talked about follow-up studies for my honours thesis, and I had a message on my machine from a school whose waitlist I'm on. He said he'll call back to give me an update on my status. I'm assuming this means my status changed from "waiting" to either "sorry we have no space for you" or "we'd like to offer you admission". Now if it's the former, I'll just say "okay thank you for letting me know and reviewing my application" yadda yadda yadda. But if it's the latter... there's only one week before April 15th. Does this mean that I have one week to decide if I'm going there or not? Or do waitlist people have to decide immediately if they're going or not? I'm kind of scared for this guy to call back 'cause I'll be sort of backed into a corner if he has an offer.

Isn't it stupid that now I'm worrying about GETTING an offer? You all can tell me to shut up if you'd like. lol

Another question that I keep meaning to ask is about internship in the US. Does anybody know if you need to be an american citizen to do internships for a PhD (and afterwards) in the US? This is why I'm kind of wary of this school accepting me, because it's in Canada and I sort of had my heart setting on studying in the US since I thought it would make it easier to get a US internship later. But if Canadian citizens have to do theirs in Canada anyway, that'll help my decision-making. So if anybody knows the answer I'd really appreciate it. Google isn't being nice to me today.

Members don't see this ad.

Does this mean that I have one week to decide if I'm going there or not? Or do waitlist people have to decide immediately if they're going or not? I'm kind of scared for this guy to call back 'cause I'll be sort of backed into a corner if he has an offer.

I believe you still only have 1 week to decide. Even though that's soon, I wouldn't be worried about giving him the generic "thank you, I'll let you know what I decide" answer if you get an offer. And btw, the fact that he called you as opposed to sending an email is a good sign...good luck!

I think it was in the Canadian thread where someone mentioned something about Canadian acreditation differences (from the APA) I'm not sure where you want to do your internship and/or practice....but if it is in the US, make sure to inquire about this.

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm thanks guys.

I just read something that said it's often much easier for canadians to get US internships if they've already done their grad school work in the US.

So I guess if he calls back and offers me a spot, I have a really crappy decision to make. lol I can take a year off to apply to US schools again so that I can do what I've always wanted to with the rest of my life (i.e., move to the US), or I can accept this offer just to get in somewhere because the guy's research really is exactly what I want to do except it's in my country where I don't want to stay.

Who wants to pick for me? :D

Hmm thanks guys.

I just read something that said it's often much easier for canadians to get US internships if they've already done their grad school work in the US.

So I guess if he calls back and offers me a spot, I have a really crappy decision to make. lol I can take a year off to apply to US schools again so that I can do what I've always wanted to with the rest of my life (i.e., move to the US), or I can accept this offer just to get in somewhere because the guy's research really is exactly what I want to do except it's in my country where I don't want to stay.

Who wants to pick for me? :D

Pfft, I can't pick decisions for myself. Tell you what--I pick for you if you'll pick for me. :D

Pfft, I can't pick decisions for myself. Tell you what--I pick for you if you'll pick for me. :D

Sounds good :laugh:

I swear, all these life decisions are giving me an ulcer.

I'm also getting bitter about the Canada/US border. Canadians have to jump through so many hoops. I may as well just do it Mexican-style and build an underground tunnel.

ooooohh...this gets dangerous though! If we all start picking for each other, probably the same person who is holdling all the offers will wind up making the decisions for everyone!! :cool:

I think I'm getting a little paranoid! :laugh:

I think it could be quite therapeutic. Whenever you have a bad day, just blame the person on the board who selected for you!

:laugh:

You know what's really fun?

I decided to give the 3 schools I'm waiting on a phonecall, to see if they could at least tell me if a decision had been reached on my application. None of 'em are answering their phones.

Do admissions secretaries hide from ringing phones until April 15th? lol

I do feel sorry for those of you going through the process of being an "international" student in the US.

When I applied to York and Waterloo, I talked to a friend of mine who moved from the US to Canada last year to go to University of Toronto.

He said the process for being an international student in Canada involves filling out a single piece of paper, and mailing it in. Apparently its easier to move into another Canada as an international student than to renew a US driver's license!

:laugh:

You know what's really fun?

I decided to give the 3 schools I'm waiting on a phonecall, to see if they could at least tell me if a decision had been reached on my application. None of 'em are answering their phones.

Do admissions secretaries hide from ringing phones until April 15th? lol

Hehehe, today's a holiday sweety. No one is working...

As for your original question as to wait or take the offer in Canada... I think that your hesitation says it all - wait till next year.

If you want to move to the States, work in the States, do your internship in the States, why are you going to sell 5 years of your life to a Canadian University?

You are still very young so taking a year off of school may be a good thing for you. Help you decide/refine where your interests are and what you are wanting to do. I just finished my masters and my interests changed dramatically from undergrad as well as throughout my program.

More practically, if this is the route you decide to take... You GRE scores are awesome as is your GPA. I know that you have research experience which is great... What about publications? Honestly, I think that if you get a few publications behind you (or a few more depending on if you already have them), have an additional year of research or psych related activity and age a year (some schools are biased against the young) you shouldn't have a problem getting in.

K, let me say though that this isn't to discourage you from going to the Canadian uni, just that it sounds ilke you really have your heart set on something else. I'd also like to say that I have no vested in USask as I didn't apply there (just in case it seems like I'm trying to get you out of the way or something :p )

Let us know what the prof says and what you decide!

S

Slight correction:
No ADMINSTRATIVE staff is working.
At least here, research folks, professors, etc. are working. Some even worked yesterday;)

As for your original question as to wait or take the offer in Canada... I think that your hesitation says it all - wait till next year.

If you want to move to the States, work in the States, do your internship in the States, why are you going to sell 5 years of your life to a Canadian University?

You are still very young so taking a year off of school may be a good thing for you. Help you decide/refine where your interests are and what you are wanting to do. I just finished my masters and my interests changed dramatically from undergrad as well as throughout my program.

More practically, if this is the route you decide to take... You GRE scores are awesome as is your GPA. I know that you have research experience which is great... What about publications? Honestly, I think that if you get a few publications behind you (or a few more depending on if you already have them), have an additional year of research or psych related activity and age a year (some schools are biased against the young) you shouldn't have a problem getting in.

K, let me say though that this isn't to discourage you from going to the Canadian uni, just that it sounds ilke you really have your heart set on something else. I'd also like to say that I have no vested in USask as I didn't apply there (just in case it seems like I'm trying to get you out of the way or something :p )

Let us know what the prof says and what you decide!

S

The grad secretaries at my school worked today so I thought maybe UBCs would have. Lazy bums. :D

Thanks for your advice! That sounds a lot like what my mom just said to me, which makes me feel better about what will most likely be my decision to take a year off. I'm doing conference presentations and submitting stuff for publication so I'm hoping I'll be a much stronger applicant for the next round of US schools. Plus you're absolutely right, my interests have expanded just from looking at what profs are studying. I'm sure that in a year's time I'll have a much better idea of what I want to spend the next five years studying.

I do feel sorry for those of you going through the process of being an "international" student in the US.

When I applied to York and Waterloo, I talked to a friend of mine who moved from the US to Canada last year to go to University of Toronto.

He said the process for being an international student in Canada involves filling out a single piece of paper, and mailing it in. Apparently its easier to move into another Canada as an international student than to renew a US driver's license!

It's a HORRIBLE process. lol. And looking into the paperwork involved in getting a job in the US, it makes me just wanna curl up in a ball and recite poetry while I wait for death. haha.

I also forgot to say thank you for inflating my ego. :D I've spent the past few hours worrying about how stupid I'll look if I don't get in anywhere next year. I'm glad someone believes in me. lol