1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Waitlist Etiquette

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SomeRandomName, Apr 24, 2007.

1. SomeRandomName

2+ Year Member

I have a question for those of you on waitlists or current med students who were accepted off of waitlists: How much effort have you (or did you) put into letting the admissions office know that you were interested/eager/etc.? I sent a letter of intent along with a update of what I've been up to during the last several months. However, I don't know if I should be sending more emails, making phone calls, or doing other things to show my interest. At what point does contacting them seem obnoxious? Thanks for any help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

I wrote a LOI before decisions were sent out. After getting my waitlist decision, I sent the dean of admissions a short email just saying that the school was still my first choice, and then I sent another update/LOI at the end of April (because I knew decisions would be made in early May). I ended up getting off the waitlist May 16th. I'd say if you don't have anything new to update them on right now, just see how things play out in the next couple of weeks and whether or not you find yourself in the first bunch of ppl that get an acceptance. If you're not, then you could be a little more aggressive and send another letter/email/call/whatever.

4. SomeRandomName

2+ Year Member

thanks for the help

5. khadija

khadija Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i really feel like writing a LOI isn't enough. I don't want to get buried on some secetary's desk. Would it be rude to call to school and want to talk to the dean?

6. sona1128

2+ Year Member

Does anyone know if it is appropriate to contact your interviewer after you have been waitlisted? What is your interviewer is on the admissions committee (the final decision committee)?

7. sona1128

2+ Year Member

Does anyone know if it is appropriate to contact your interviewer after you have been waitlisted? What is your interviewer is on the admissions committee (the final decision committee)?

8. lina123321

lina123321 ralph: im a unitard
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    loi-->email or snail mail...which do u think is better?:confused:

9. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

I think if you address the envelope (and letter) to the dean, they will read it. Don't just address it to "Office of Admissions" or something.

10. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

It probably wouldn't hurt, especially if you feel you had a good interview. But, depending upon the school, sending a letter to the dean might have more of an effect. Or you could send essentially the same letter to both.

11. pennybridge

pennybridge Membership Revoked
    Removed

noodz

it's the only way.

unless you're an uggo. then send giftbaskets full of edible underwear and money.

12. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

I personally preferred snail mail because I could give the letter a nice header and print it on nice paper. But if you want it to get there fast, email is probably better. I would recommend not attaching it, though, or at least including the text in the email and as an attachment, because it would really suck if whoever got the email couldn't open the attachment.

13. Rumplestilskin

Rumplestilskin To B Rare is An Advantage
    7+ Year Member

What if you are on hold? Would it be best to send a letter, etc.?

14. Tired

Tired Fading away
    7+ Year Member

Daily calls. Badger them until they accept you just to get you off their back.

15. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

If you want to get off hold, yes. Send a letter. It certainly can't hurt.

16. RayhanS1282

RayhanS1282 perpetually percolated
    10+ Year Member

I am one and a half day away from doing that. Stupid weekends, cutting into precious badgering time.

17. senioritaelena

senioritaelena Let's go
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have contact both my interviewers at my top choice that I am waitlisted at. The one was a student and he has helped me out by giving me advice to get off the waitlist and the faculty who interviewed me and is on the ad comm hasn't replied to my LOI and email. I have currently sent out 2 letters and an email to the interviewer/ ad comm. Hoping this helps. I will likely send out another letter as soon as my grades fromthis term are released (about May 12)

18. Queenshawtii

10+ Year Member

I haven't done anything yet, I'm hoping to get into Toledo and i have no clue how i should express my interest.

19. RayhanS1282

RayhanS1282 perpetually percolated
    10+ Year Member

Talk about the good things the school has to offer and how it personally benefits you. Anyone can cut and paste from their website but it's important to get across how these things are personally influencing your decision.

Bottom line: take no prisoners as far as the LOI is concerned.

Best of luck to you.

20. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    At some places, it's like sending a letter to Santa Claus. In those cases, the LOI never gets past a desk secretary who puts in a file that nobody sees.

Badgering does help at others, and I've even heard of a place that will pick students off of the wait list as late as August by selecting the waitlister who lives nearest so as to not disrupt somebody's life too much.

Wait lists are generally part voo-doo. They don't always straight rank students. If a URM or oos student gives up a spot, for instance, they may pick the best replacement. If someone with a high MCAT gives up a spot, they may try to replace with the highest MCAT that they have available to minimize damage to the average.

21. Goldenhair

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am also thinking to contact my interviewers. At my first choice school, I had one regular interview and a meeting with a researcher which was my own initiative. Both were extremely nice and spent over an hour each with me. The researcher asked to let him know later if he can help me. I was waitlisted at the school, in the part of the waitlist that has practically no chances. I am thinking to contact both but don't know which way to contact them. I had already wrote to both of them nice thank you letters and also wrote about my impressions to the dean of admissions on the next day after my interview. The school is really competitive but my MCAT score is 3 points below average :( for that school (well, this is compensated by other things in my application I hope!:) ), which I think may be the reason they have not offered me acceptance or a better place on the waitlist.
    Please advice how I should contact them: in person, by regular mail, by email or by phone???

22. instigata

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How about updating with letters of recommendation? Do you guys think this is effective?

23. I'm sending two MD LORs.

24. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

i did all of those, plus sent a fax. didn't get me anywhere. i'm of the feeling that if they plan on eventually accepting you they will, and if they don't, you're wasting your time. too bad there's really no way to figure out which situation applies...

25. etsuprinthead

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    i doubt it could hurt to contact your interviewer -- the worst that could happen is they ignore you or they don't have a say any more. i'd send an LOI to the dean of admissions, too, just in case, if you haven't done that already.