waitlist question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkblue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got off the waitlist for a school i love (yay!). They called me and said htey are mailing me stuff, but did not give me a deadline to respond. When do I have to choose/withdraw from either teh school I planned on attending or teh school that just took me off the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, congratulations!

Here are the AAMC guidelines for Admissions Committees from the AAMC site:

"After May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), each school implement school-specific procedures for accepted applicants who, without adequate explanation, continue to hold one or more places at other schools. These procedures:

1. May require applicants to:
i. Respond to acceptance offers in less than two weeks.
ii. Submit a statement of intent, a deposit, or both.

2. Should recognize the problems of applicants with multiple acceptance offers, applicants who have not yet received an acceptance offer, and applicants who have not yet been informed about financial aid opportunities at schools to which they have been accepted.

3. Should permit accepted applicants to remain on other schools' waiting lists and to withdraw if they later receive an acceptance offer from a preferred school."

You could wait until you get the "materials" but I would just call the Admissions office, state that you are *very* interested in the school but want to make an informed decision based on financial aid & ask how long they generally permit. Good luck!

You'll need to call the first school too and let them know the situation. You generally have two weeks of grace to decide.