Waitlist Support Group 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I recognize you from the Pitt thread! Here is what's posted on MSAR although it looks like they got rid of the 2-tier WL system.

Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle
Varies
Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist
Waitlist procedures and information
Applicants placed on a 2-tier waitlist depending on Committee ranking. Applicants taken off waitlist as seats in class become available.

Hi! Thanks so much for that! It's annoying that the MSAR for Pitt has to be taken with a grain of salt since they changed up their tier system. But I appreciate you posting this :)

Members don't see this ad.

FYI. If you're using chrome or firefox, you can use shift+delete to remove the suggested autofill entry. You can find several tutorials/info posts online if you need help.
Any idea of how to do this on Chrome? Even if I just type in "MSAR" it automatically goes to that website.

Would anyone be kind enough to disclose MSAR information regarding VCU's and/or OUWB's waitlist please? Hopefully this will give me some peace of mind lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would anyone be kind enough to disclose MSAR information regarding VCU's and/or OUWB's waitlist please? Hopefully this will give me some peace of mind lol

VCU

Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle: 100
Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist: 75
Waitlist procedures and information: Wait list is active from April 1-Aug (First day of Orientation)

Oakland (sorry this isn't that helpful)

Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle: Varies by cycle
Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist: Not Provided
Waitlist procedures and information:
Once all applications have been reviewed by committee (late March/early April), remaining applicants are placed on a three-tier waitlist. We notify the students of their tier placement.

Went on 4 Interviews (1 in December & 3 in January), got wait listed by all 4. It's been months that feel like years and I'm losing all hope.

Reactions: 5 users
Went on 4 Interviews (1 in December & 3 in January), got wait listed by all 4. It's been months that feel like years and I'm losing all hope.
You have pretty good odds, but it's still hard to wait.

We will get an answer soon. I would like to advise you to distract yourself, but I can't, given that I check my email 1000x/day hoping to see a message that isn't there.

Do schools ever officially release/reject people from the waitlist or is the assumption that we are rejected when school starts?

Do schools ever officially release/reject people from the waitlist or is the assumption that we are rejected when school starts?
From last year's thread, I saw some schools cut down their waitlist halfway through the summer when they have a better idea of their class and know they won't have to go too deep to fill the last minute openings. For other schools, I saw them send out a mass rejection right before school starts. So I think it definitely depends. Some schools may never tell you.

From last year's thread, I saw some schools cut down their waitlist halfway through the summer when they have a better idea of their class and know they won't have to go too deep to fill the last minute openings. For other schools, I saw them send out a mass rejection right before school starts. So I think it definitely depends. Some schools may never tell you.
I thought that they were required to send us an answer, whether it be an acceptance or rejection

I thought that they were required to send us an answer, whether it be an acceptance or rejection
They probably are and do, but people didn't post. I was just going off what I saw on SDN.

what are the waitlist stats for UC Davis, UCSD, and/or USC? please and thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
what are the waitlist stats for UC Davis, UCSD, and/or USC? please and thank you :)

USC is completely unhelpful, and UCSD is oddly specific. 27 people have a chance to get off the waitlist (hoping that was an actual number from that year)

UC Davis

100-150
Not Provided
The number of offers from the wait list varies year to year. Offers from the wait list begin in May.

UCSD

Applicants are typically informed of the admission committee's decision on their application within three weeks of their interview. Those on the waitlist are re-evaluated for possible admission.

USC
variable
Not Provided
Waitlisted applicants holding other acceptances may inform the Admissions Office of their desire to attend on or after May 1.

Reactions: 3 users
USC is completely unhelpful, and UCSD is oddly specific. 27 people have a chance to get off the waitlist (hoping that was an actual number from that year)

UC Davis

100-150
Not Provided
The number of offers from the wait list varies year to year. Offers from the wait list begin in May.

UCSD

Applicants are typically informed of the admission committee's decision on their application within three weeks of their interview. Those on the waitlist are re-evaluated for possible admission.

USC

variable
Not Provided
Waitlisted applicants holding other acceptances may inform the Admissions Office of their desire to attend on or after May 1.

Thank you!!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
So regarding the April 30th and the May 15th deadlines, if I am on the waitlist can I expect the most movement to happen between April 30 - May 15th?

Last edited:
Has anyone actually gotten off the waitlist this week?

Someone on reddit made a waitlist acceptance tracker if y'all want to fill it out!

Reactions: 4 users
I was just rejected from number two of my three schools that I interviewed at. I'm sitting on the waitlist at my final school and praying that next week I hear good news. I can't apply for a third time...

I was just rejected from number two of my three schools that I interviewed at. I'm sitting on the waitlist at my final school and praying that next week I hear good news. I can't apply for a third time...
Maybe I read this wrong. Rejected before or after you were on the waitlist?

Whelp! Another long silent day.

Reactions: 6 users
I wish I could hibernate for like 5 days and wake up on May 1

Reactions: 14 users
Sitting on 12 waitlists with no acceptances is driving me absolutely bananas, guys. I hope we all get movement in the next couple weeks.

Reactions: 6 users
Sitting on 12 waitlists with no acceptances is driving me absolutely bananas, guys. I hope we all get movement in the next couple weeks.

Not sure if this is helpful, but the odds are definitely in your favor with 12 waitlisted. Hope you hear back SOON.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

im confused by this. are the years a typo?

I think the implication is that Shapley is a reapplicant and did not get in during the first application cycle.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Woke up at 4am to work a free clinic. Love the event, hate how much longer my day is gonna be. More time to worry about this stuff. Definitely not hibernating but wish I could

I'm wondering the same thing. Barely anyone has been posting
If you get off a WL this week you only have until 4/30 to decide if you want it if you have one acceptance. For anyone with an acceptance, you probably don’t want to get off a waitlist today because you would have 3 days to pick a school. If you’re exclusively on waitlists, this isn’t an issue unfortunately so schools that may be waitihg so people aren’t in the few days to pick situation is just dragging it out for you.

My WL school sent out rankings yesterday and I didnt get one. Gotta call and get it today cuz my email has been weird the whole cycle and not always getting emails. Bit still.....lets hope for that low number!

If you get off a WL this week you only have until 4/30 to decide if you want it if you have one acceptance. For anyone with an acceptance, you probably don’t want to get off a waitlist today because you would have 3 days to pick a school. If you’re exclusively on waitlists, this isn’t an issue unfortunately so schools that may be waitihg so people aren’t in the few days to pick situation is just dragging it out for you.
I could be wrong but this isn't a set date is it? I remember hearing about how people last cycle didn't give up their spots until mid May

I could be wrong but this isn't a set date is it? I remember hearing about how people last cycle didn't give up their spots until mid May
You lose your deposit if you don’t give up your spot by that date, not sure if there’s any other repercussions

My WL school sent out rankings yesterday and I didnt get one. Gotta call and get it today cuz my email has been weird the whole cycle and not always getting emails. Bit still.....lets hope for that low number!
Updating this: WL spot is 90. This rank is before doing the survey that confirms if you wanna stay on the WL or not. Last year the WL went from 240 to 114 after the survey and they took up to #120 on the initial WL ranking. SO heres to more waiting (but at least more optimistic now!)

Reactions: 14 users
Updating this: WL spot is 90. This rank is before doing the survey that confirms if you wanna stay on the WL or not. Last year the WL went from 240 to 114 after the survey and they took up to #120 on the initial WL ranking. SO heres to more waiting (but at least more optimistic now!)
that's good that that many people drop off of it, I've always wondered how many people sit on a WL who "forget" to withdraw from it and would never end up going but at least that school makes a point to get rid off people who have no interest

that's good that that many people drop off of it, I've always wondered how many people sit on a WL who "forget" to withdraw from it and would never end up going but at least that school makes a point to get rid off people who have no interest
Well you have to submit the survey. If you dont, you are taken off after may 11th. But this WL movement is late cuz they have a large BS/MD student body s they have to wait and see how many of them meet the requirement (I think you need a 3.7/500 to stay in the program but like 34 ACT to get in to the program initially)

Accepted off of my first MD WL this morning. Goodluck to everyone here in the coming weeks, Im sure you'll all hear good news!

Last edited:
Reactions: 53 users
Accepted off of my first MD WL this morning. Goodluck to everyone here in the coming weeks, Im sure you'll all here good news!
Congratulations! Time to celebrate and relax :soexcited:

My waitlist has barely moved. Wouldn’t it be assumed that most movement would be today since monday they’ll lose their deposit??

Status
Not open for further replies.