Waitlist Support Group 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ergo432

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would start a new thread for MD applicants who have been waitlisted for the 2017-2018 application cycle. I saw some waitlist groups for earlier years, and I thought it might be helpful to have some mutual support in a time of stress. It doesn't matter if you've been waitlisted once or 9 times, if you have no acceptances right now or are waiting for your dream school, please feel free to comment & share advice.

Here's hoping to a lot of movement this year, and good luck to all of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
Waitlisted at a school I'd love to attend, checking in. The hardest part is deciding when to throw the towel in and move forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Couldn't count the number of waitlists I'm on... this is a very long and treacherous process

Reactions: 1 users
This process really does drive you crazy. Does anybody know whether waitlisted applicants can attend Second Look (like if you happen to be in the area)?

Reactions: 2 users
This process really does drive you crazy. Does anybody know whether waitlisted applicants can attend Second Look (like if you happen to be in the area)?
Each school is different, you’d have to call and see. I *think* second look weekends are traditionally for accepted students, but it’s school specific.

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted at 2 schools. Really hoping there's some movement soon. Trying to stay positive in purgatory.

Always try to keep in mind that being wait-listed is also an accomplishment and there are people who've been rejected everywhere that wish they were in our spot.
My sister got into medical school off the wait list in June 10 years ago, so I'm hoping that'll be me soon.

Good luck to everyone. If it doesn't work out this cycle, maybe it will next! Believe in yourselves and try not to overthink. I was reading an article written by an attending MD, talking about their biggest regrets through med school/residency. They said one of their biggest regrets was tying all their self-worth into their med school stuff. You're more just your acceptances/waitlists/rejections or how you do in school. It's good to be proud of those things, but don't let it destroy you if things don't work out. Stay healthy and enjoy your lives. Peace. <3

Reactions: 19 users
Yall got room for one more in here? Waitlisted at two MDs and waiting to hear back post interview from two others :horns:

Reactions: 3 users
I'm waitlisted at 5, thankfully accepted to 1, and waiting to hear back from 1 more. I have absolutely no idea where I am going to be in 4 months, and that's driving me crazy.

Update - accepted to 2!!!!! Feeling a little better, but still no idea where I'm going to be lol

Second Update - accepted off the waitlist to my top choice! OFFICIALLY know where I'm going to be!

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
As someone who is now on 7 waitlists, I totally get it. :(

Reactions: 14 users
2 waitlists. Have a few acceptances but so far away from where I live.

Hey all! Current MS4 at UCSF who had the WORST application cycle a few years ago. After nearly a year of feeling absolutely terrible about myself and doubling every decision I had ever made, I was accepted off the waitlist. I feel your pain! Reply or message me if you are looking for advice or a pep talk.

Waitlisted at 2 schools. Really hoping there's some movement soon. Trying to stay positive in purgatory.

Always try to keep in mind that being wait-listed is also an accomplishment and there are people who've been rejected everywhere that wish they were in our spot.
My sister got into medical school off the wait list in June 10 years ago, so I'm hoping that'll be me soon.

G Good luck to everyone. If it doesn't work out this cycle, maybe it will next! Believe in yourselves and try not to overthink. I was reading an article written by an attending MD, talking about their biggest regrets through med school/residency. They said one of their biggest regrets was tying all their self-worth into their med school stuff. You're more just your acceptances/waitlists/rejections or how you do in school. It's good to be proud of those things, but don't let it destroy you if things don't work out. Stay healthy and enjoy your lives. Peace. <3

I LOVE this and completely agree to not tie up all of your self-worth to academia! You are all unique and have so much more to offer outside of what society deems worthy of reverence and recognition.

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On four waitlist, would love to stay w my state school (and with my SO). But thankful to have an acceptance in hand nonetheless.

Waitlisted 2 places, waiting back on 4 others. And my wife has to accept/decline her PhD program offers by April 15th. Good thing Traffic Day is April 30th. Oh wait

Reactions: 7 users
Waitlisted 2 places, waiting back on 4 others. And my wife has to accept/decline her PhD program offers by April 15th. Good thing Traffic Day is April 30th. Oh wait
Has she tried reaching out to the programs to let them know her situation?

Has she tried reaching out to the programs to let them know her situation?
She will. I am decently high up on one of the waitlists (they tell you your rank at Iowa) and so we are just waiting for another couple weeks before we contact any schools. I'm sure schools have dealt with these types of situations before, it just adds stress to the already stressful situation. Is/has anyone else in/been in a similar situation?

She will. I am decently high up on one of the waitlists (they tell you your rank at Iowa) and so we are just waiting for another couple weeks before we contact any schools. I'm sure schools have dealt with these types of situations before, it just adds stress to the already stressful situation. Is/has anyone else in/been in a similar situation?
If it were me I wouldnt wait, i think its better to inform schools of your situation so they can plan accordingly. Whats the benefit of waiting?

If it were me I wouldnt wait, i think its better to inform schools of your situation so they can plan accordingly. Whats the benefit of waiting?
Yeah you are right, we will contact them asap. About why we are waiting though: she has interviewed and been accepted to like all the schools I've interviewed at, and a couple of those schools are supposed to get back to me next week, so we were hoping that we'd hear good news soon. There is no benefit to waiting, we are both just drained from this process haha

Placed on waitlist for one school, still waiting to hear from another school. Having a dilemma though - the waitlist school requires a Human Physiology course which I would need to have completed by end of June, but I don't know if I will even be pulled off the waitlist and the class is over $1K to take online. The school typically takes 0-10 off the waitlist (unranked) and they have said the class is already full at this time. Debating on whether I should drop $1K for this class if for some miraculous reason I get pulled off the waitlist...sigh.

I feel so awful for those of you with SOs whose choices also depend on your waitlist results. It makes a fairly stressful situation even worse...

Reactions: 6 users
4 IIs, 3 WLs. These IIs came within 1-2 months of my app completion so obviously they saw something but seems like I'm good enough for all my interviewers to like me but jsut not good enough for the admissions committee to like me

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Just wondering how long will everyone plan on waiting for the waitlist?

The DO school that I currently have deposit at start school and white coat towards the end of July (28th-31st)... And the MD school I got waitlisted say that they will continue to pull students all the way until a week before school starts (early August).

Is it possible that you already been to the white coat at the DO school and have the option to go to the MD school if they pull you off the waitlist that late?

4 IIs 1 WL 3 waitings applicant reporting in.

The DO school that I currently have deposit at start school and white coat towards the end of July (28th-31st)... And the MD school I got waitlisted say that they will continue to pull students all the way until a week before school starts (early August).

Is it possible that you already been to the white coat at the DO school and have the option to go to the MD school if they pull you off the waitlist that late?
That's an interesting question. I know for MD schools it's against AAMC rules to pull an applicant from the waiting list once they've matriculated at another school. But I believe that is tracked through AMCAS, and so DO schools wouldn't really count.

I guess it's up to you as to what you're willing to give up at that point. Rent? Deposits? A semester tuition?

That's an interesting question. I know for MD schools it's against AAMC rules to pull an applicant from the waiting list once they've matriculated at another school. But I believe that is tracked through AMCAS, and so DO schools wouldn't really count.

I guess it's up to you as to what you're willing to give up at that point. Rent? Deposits? A semester tuition?

When are you technically considered matriculated?

I think I read from @gonnif or another Adcom that you are officially a student of that school when you attend first day of class. Therefore, you can attend the DO white coat and still accept the MD school if pulled off its waitlist. Although you will likely lose the DO deposit.

Official SDN waitlist mascot/emotional support animal checking in.

The waitlist game is a brutal process. I wish it wasn't like this. My advice is to please try not to make the same mistake I made, which is to allow your self worth to become inextricably tied up in your medical school application. I know very well how hard it is to see the big picture when you are going through it yourself, and I didn't believe people when they said that you are more than your medical school application, but I will reiterate it anyway: you are more than your medical school application. I'm well aware of how trite this sounds from somebody who isn't going through it right now, but it is true.

I recommend iced coffee prn, and not to let yourself get sucked into SDN too much (speaking from experience of...my...friend).

Reactions: 33 users
6 waitlists and no acceptances. Still waiting to hear back from one school :help:

1 WL waiting on 2 post-II decisions prob in april from late Feb interviews, I applied almost a year ago!

My advice is to please try not to make the same mistake I made, which is to allow your self worth to become inextricably tied up in your medical school application.
Ugh, I've already done this. Last cycle, I got in nowhere after receiving 5 interviews, and it just completely crushed my confidence. This cycle didn't go that much better, but I did get into a DO program with a scholarship so great that there's a high chance I would choose to go there even if I did come off an MD waitlist. I feel like I can't really be that excited about the fact that I'm going to be a doctor now because the whole application process has just smashed every ounce of confidence out of me, and I just feel like such an imposter who slipped through the cracks. I had this whole vision of how on top of the moon I would feel post-acceptance, and now I'm just unable to snap out of all of this self-doubt. I hope this feeling dissipates over time.

MD schools may accept you after matriculation to a DO school.
We cannot accept a student who has begun orientation (or a pre-matriculation progam) at an MD school.

Reactions: 5 users
I think I read from @gonnif or another Adcom that you are officially a student of that school when you attend first day of class. Therefore, you can attend the DO white coat and still accept the MD school if pulled off its waitlist. Although you will likely lose the DO deposit.
MD schools may accept you after matriculation to a DO school.
We cannot accept a student who has begun orientation (or a pre-matriculation progam) at an MD school.
There is one big caveat to the above. While there is no connection between AMCAS and AACOMAS that would prevent you from accepting a WL from MD after you have started a DO program, you are paying from the same GradPlus and Private Loans. So, the DO school could legally claim the full tuition leaving you with no way to pay for the MD. However, most schools have some process that allows you early in the term without tuition penalty. Also, if I am not mistaken, the disbursement of money from these loans cannot begin until some 15 or 30 days after you formally matriculate/start classes (NOTE: please check/confirm this statement).

you need to check with financial aid office before starting classes. Financial aid is not may area of expertise, so perhaps one of other admin may have better info on this.

3 MD waitlists and still waiting on 1 post-II decision that will most likely turn into a WL as well. Luckily I will know about my last school right before my pre-health committee application is due for this upcoming cycle, so I can still submit it last minute if needed. I also have things lined up for me next year so I don't have to worry about what I need to do during a 2nd gap year, but it's still stressful and my parents aren't making it any easier.

I have definitely made my whole life and self-worth attached to the med school process for the last 2 years and I'm hopefully going to start changing that very soon, regardless of whether I get accepted or not. I've been getting involved in my religious community again and spending more time with my kid brothers!

3 MD waitlists and still waiting on 1 post-II decision that will most likely turn into a WL as well. Luckily I will know about my last school right before my pre-health committee application is due for this upcoming cycle, so I can still submit it last minute if needed. I also have things lined up for me next year so I don't have to worry about what I need to do during a 2nd gap year, but it's still stressful and my parents aren't making it any easier.

I have definitely made my whole life and self-worth attached to the med school process for the last 2 years and I'm hopefully going to start changing that very soon, regardless of whether I get accepted or not. I've been getting involved in my religious community again and spending more time with my kid brothers!

You still might get off one of those Waitlists, keep your head up!

Are LOIs worth sending to schools that have a ranked waitlist? Would schools be willing to pick you over higher but similarly ranked individuals if you express intent or is it likely futile? @gyngyn

Are LOIs worth sending to schools that have a ranked waitlist? Would schools be willing to pick you over higher but similarly ranked individuals if you express intent or is it likely futile? @gyngyn
If they have told the LCME that they use a ranked waitlist, they may not deviate from the order given by the committee. Thus, LOI's can have no effect.

I feel like I can't really be that excited about the fact that I'm going to be a doctor now because the whole application process has just smashed every ounce of confidence out of me, and I just feel like such an imposter who slipped through the cracks.
Lots of people have imposter syndrome. I think that the important thing to remember is that once medical school starts, literally none of this matters. Not a single thing! How many interviews you got, what you got on the MCAT, your GPA, how many tries it took to get in, how many waitlists you're on, it's all completely and totally irrelevant. Everybody starts over anew. Some of the smartest people I know in my class came in off the waitlist and some took more than one cycle to get in. You are just as capable and deserving as everybody else.

Reactions: 21 users
Lots of people have imposter syndrome. I think that the important thing to remember is that once medical school starts, literally none of this matters. Not a single thing! How many interviews you got, what you got on the MCAT, your GPA, how many tries it took to get in, how many waitlists you're on, it's all completely and totally irrelevant. Everybody starts over anew. Some of the smartest people I know in my class came in off the waitlist and some took more than one cycle to get in. You are just as capable and deserving as everybody else.
See, I logically get all of that, but my brain is just like, "No, don't you go and be excited! Imposter! Imposter! " Of course, since I'm going to a DO school, seeing all of the people who also have DO acceptances but speak as though it's the same thing as having zero acceptances gets into my head as well. Like, logically I know I'll be a doctor and that's all that matters. Emotionally is another story. I'll snap out of it eventually haha. I really appreciate all of your encouragement!

How do unranked waitlists work? Is it based off of who is most likely to attend if given an acceptance? For example if you have 5 people with similar experiences, scores, interviews etc how do they pick who to offer to? (Lets say everyone is OOS for a public school)

The reason I'm asking is because I have a feeling I'm going to end up on 3 waitlists (because of late Feb interviews and it seems the norm for these schools) and I have ties to all of the schools, very significant ties to one of them, but I know 2/3 are unranked I believe

Last edited:
How do unranked waitlists work? Is it based off of who is most likely to attend if given an acceptance? For example if you have 5 people with similar experiences, scores, interviews etc how do they pick who to offer to? (Lets say everyone is OOS for a public school)

The reason I'm asking is because Ihave a feeling I'm going to end up on 3 waitlists and I have ties to all of the schools but I know 2/3 are unranked I believe

My general understand is that unranked waitlists are reviewed after the committee knows how many spots are open in their class, and are used to redistribute the class balance. For instance, if they have 20 spots open, and of their current accepted students there is a 70/30 split male/female, then they are going to adjust that balance with the waitlist. Same goes for any other measure of diversity, experience, or other metric.

That's not to say who you are has no bearing. But who turns them down might be important too.

Reactions: 4 users

The reason I'm asking is because I have a feeling I'm going to end up on 3 waitlists (because of late Feb interviews and it seems the norm for these schools) and I have ties to all of the schools, very significant ties to one of them, but I know 2/3 are unranked I believe
My understanding is that when the time comes all of the applications are re-reviewed and judged on their individual merit, and they will pick applicants based on what they happen to need in their class. As opposed to a ranked waitlist where there's a fixed order in which people come off.

Reactions: 3 users
3 IIs, waitlisted at 1, and still waiting to hear back from the other 2. I also applied to the Georgetown SMP and should be hearing back from them soon too!

Waitlisted at 5 schools, including my top 3 choices. I'm extremely grateful to have an acceptance at a wonderful school, but at the same time, these were painful to experience. I'm really hoping I can get off the waitlist at one of those 3 I really care about - here's to hoping!

Reactions: 5 users
6II's 2WL 2R's and 2 waiting to hear back still. my SO and I are both going crazy wondering if/when I'll catch a break and wondering If/when/where we'll be moving to as both of our careers are on the line. this process is more than a little soul crushing. I'm tempted to dust off my application and start over if I can afford to.

Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.