Waitlist Support Group 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
6II's 2WL 2R's and 2 waiting to hear back still. my SO and I are both going crazy wondering if/when I'll catch a break and wondering If/when/where we'll be moving to as both of our careers are on the line. this process is more than a little soul crushing. I'm tempted to dust off my application and start over if I can afford to.

Following your application cycle - I’m really hoping you get in and can be with your SO!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed at a lot of top 10s/20s, and so far waitlisted/rejected at all of them--accepted at my safeties though. I'm trying really hard not to fall into bad habits but I've been so sad this entire cycle (since it started off with a lot of hope, and ended in a lot disappointment. Also the realization that there is no possible way I will be accepted to a school nearby where my long term partner is working).

Any healthy habits outside of exercising to keep me from just brooding in my own self-pity?

Reactions: 9 users
Following your application cycle - I’m really hoping you get in and can be with your SO!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
thanks so much! i currently have two more to hear back from so we'll see I'm hanging in there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed at a lot of top 10s/20s, and so far waitlisted/rejected at all of them--accepted at my safeties though. I'm trying really hard not to fall into bad habits but I've been so sad this entire cycle (since it started off with a lot of hope, and ended in a lot disappointment. Also the realization that there is no possible way I will be accepted to a school nearby where my long term partner is working).

Any healthy habits outside of exercising to keep me from just brooding in my own self-pity?

I’ve found watching comedic tv shows on Netflix and Hulu to be quite helpful in brooding avoidance.

I’ve also been trying to learn how to cook healthy and cheap meals. I started playing my viola again, too, and it’s really fun. If you don’t know a musical instrument maybe try taking one up. I think just doing anything creative is emotionally satisfying.

I’m sorry to hear about not getting in near your partner. This process can be really draining. Hopefully things work out! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted at Wright State.

Reactions: 1 user

I hear you. I feel that I should be thankful for receiving so many interviews at top schools, but it is always disappointing when things don't work out the way you hoped. I was also pretty down for the past couple of weeks, partly because of med school and also partly because I'm in a foreign country this year so I don't have the social support I would have had in the U.S. That was actually why I started this thread.

I suggest you keep active- have projects, work, outings, hobbies, trips, etc. so that you can take your mind briefly off the med school process. Surround yourself with people who will support you. Since med school (I imagine) will be super busy, this might be a great time to spend some quality time with your family, partner, etc. It will get better!

Reactions: 4 users
Also waitlisted at my top choice. Waited so long to hear back, and I guess I just gotta wait some more.

1 WL and 1 to hear from in 6-8 weeks. Stacked a TON of pre II rejections but hopefully some others come through clutch with those last minute IIs.

Anyone else feeling down because their first choice has very little WL movement?
.....WHY :shrug:

Reactions: 9 users
Welp, time for me to join you all. Rejected by 2 of my 3 top choices post-interview, and just waitlisted at the third. Very glad to have a few acceptances, but completely heartbroken and disappointed over the responses from most schools. This past month has been horrible.

I feel you -- I will most likely be moving into a different timezone from my SO, who doesn't seem super thrilled by looking for jobs in my new city. One habit that I started in January and feel has really helped me is practicing mindfulness. It's made me more "zen" and in touch with my feelings, so when I feel sad, I can identify why exactly I'm upset, accept it, and move on rather than having it ruin my mood for the rest of the day. It doesn't even have to be a huge commitment -- when I started using the Headspace app, I was at three minutes a day haha.

As @bananafish94 said, I hope y'all (myself included) don't conflate the results of your application cycle with your self-worth. I've gotten to know a lot of you during this cycle and can confirm that you are accomplished and amazing people who will go on to be great physicians -- no matter what medical school you end up attending (especially you @bootsandspooky ;)). Having sat on the other side of the table during interviews for various organizations, I can say that many of your interviewers probably enjoyed your conversations and truly wished that you could attend their school. Unfortunately, with the number of applicants per available seat, there is much more politics at play that have less to do with you as it does with the needs of the organizations at that moment in time. I wish you all the best, and hope there is better news to come in the future :)

Reactions: 6 users
Waitlisted at 1 school, and hoping for a waitlist at my top choice by the end of this month. (rejections/waitlists go out then, acceptances are over)

Really hoping for the best. I wanted to spend this year relaxing and stuff before med school but it has honestly been one of the most emotionally draining years of my life. Thanks for the support in the previous posts.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Welp, time for me to join you all. Rejected by 2 of my 3 top choices post-interview, and just waitlisted at the third. Very glad to have a few acceptances, but completely heartbroken and disappointed over the responses from most schools. This past month has been horrible.
Can't find a hug emoji so here's a gif of two dogs doing the doggo equivalent of a hug.

Reactions: 6 users
On 4 WL's. So how are we supposed to "keep in touch/provide updates" to Admissions as multiple medical students have told me during interview day if there is nothing significant to update them with? I know it is debatable whether updates/LOI's do anything, but I interviewed at one school 6 months ago and I would like to remind them that I still exist and am interested (which I guess my application means). When in doubt, do nothing?

Joining you guys, waitlisted at 3/3 of my top choices, and for one there's barely ever any movement. Very happy to be accepted at fantastic places but can't help but feel a little bit disappointed.

Competition is super tough, esp at the top schools :(

Joining in here. Just got rejected from my in state school post-II yesterday. Hanging on the multiple WL-ride...

Hey guys, asking for opinions. I'm on the waitlist for a T-20 and T-30.

Would 2 first-author pubs, 400 additional research hours, 100 additional clinical hours, and new grades of B,A,A,A,A+,A+ (all science) be good enough to convince them to take me? I am matriculating to another mid-20s school, does that play a role at all?

edit: I heard elsewhere they don't care about these things and I am getting conflicting advice. My friend interviewed at USC and was told not to send updates for the waitlist "even if you get a Nobel prize".

Last edited:

Would 2 first-author pubs, 400 additional research hours, 100 additional clinical hours, and new grades of B,A,A,A,A+,A+ (all science) be good enough to convince them to take me? I am matriculating to another mid-20s school, does that play a role at all?

Is there a question in here? The you worded this seems like bragging. Obviously you should update a school you're really interested in with whatever information you can.

Reactions: 13 users

The classic humble brag

Reactions: 8 users
Is there a question in here? The you worded this seems like bragging. Obviously you should update a school you're really interested in with whatever information you can.

I heard elsewhere they don't care about these things and I am getting conflicting advice though. My friend interviewed at USC and was told not to send updates for the waitlist "even if you get a Nobel prize"

I heard elsewhere they don't care about these things and I am getting conflicting advice though. My friend interviewed at USC and was told not to send updates for the waitlist "even if you get a Nobel prize"

Unless the school has specifically advised against sending updates, publications and grades are two things you DEFINITELY want to send in to waitlisted schools. Call the office and ask about their policy.

I asked this question in the school specific spread but didnt get a response so thought I'd ask here (I'm on one WL and pending 2 post-interview decisions)

**also disclaimer not a humblebrag (if it qualifies as one) bc I think this is a legit question because I'm not accepted anywhere haha**

I sent an update last week after my interview (late Feb) with a lot of stuff like 100+ volunteering hours, a publication and international abstract, a new grade from post bac class, and 2000 more hrs of research (full time) etc. This was the only update I sent to this school since I applied in August.

Yesterday I found out a paper I am second author got published and is online. I assume sending an update a week later is too soon? They told my group mid to late April we would hear but idk what to do haha should I wait to send another one in a few weeks and then I'd have more volunteering too?

I asked this question in the school specific spread but didnt get a response so thought I'd ask here (I'm on one WL and pending 2 post-interview decisions)

**also disclaimer not a humblebrag (if it qualifies as one) bc I think this is a legit question because I'm not accepted anywhere haha**

I sent an update last week after my interview (late Feb) with a lot of stuff like 100+ volunteering hours, a publication and international abstract, a new grade from post bac class, and 2000 more hrs of research (full time) etc. This was the only update I sent to this school since I applied in August.

Yesterday I found out a paper I am second author got published and is online. I assume sending an update a week later is too soon? They told my group mid to late April we would hear but idk what to do haha should I wait to send another one in a few weeks and then I'd have more volunteering too?

I've been looking for you so I could reply! I was up early this morning and reading SDN but something came up... anyways. I would send it in. If that publication can get you bumped to the top of the waitlist, I would do it.

An update is more likely to be seen by adcoms pre decision than post, so I would send it in personally (assuming the pub you talked about in the original update isn't the same one you're talking about)

The other thing you could do is save it for a combined LOIntent/Update if you are waitlisted, but I'd only do this if it's an unranked waitlist school

Unless the school has specifically advised against sending updates, publications and grades are two things you DEFINITELY want to send in to waitlisted schools. Call the office and ask about their policy.

Thanks, I'm just really taken aback that some places don't care what you do in your gap time, especially if they are things that would have been valuable if it had been on the original application! I'm guessing the front office most likely don't have the time or manpower to handle a flood of updates.

Checking in. Waitlisted at Duke which has been my dream school for years now. Really gave it my all. I know there's little movement but I am going to hold on to a sliver of hope

Reactions: 5 users
Chiming in. Waitlisted at one and awaiting two decisions. Should hear back this week from both. I have a feeling however, that both will be rejections. Second year applying and don't know if I can afford another year.

I've been looking for you so I could reply! I was up early this morning and reading SDN but something came up... anyways. I would send it in. If that publication can get you bumped to the top of the waitlist, I would do it.

An update is more likely to be seen by adcoms pre decision than post, so I would send it in personally (assuming the pub you talked about in the original update isn't the same one you're talking about)

The other thing you could do is save it for a combined LOIntent/Update if you are waitlisted, but I'd only do this if it's an unranked waitlist school

Thanks guys yea that makes sense I was just hesitant because its so soon after- I might wait a week and then send I'm just like paranoid they'll think I'm annoying sending another update 10 days later even if its relevant

Chiming in. Waitlisted at one and awaiting two decisions. Should hear back this week from both. I have a feeling however, that both will be rejections. Second year applying and don't know if I can afford another year.

What makes you think they will be rejections? Just a negative feeling after the interview or do you think your stats aren't up to par?

What makes you think they will be rejections? Just a negative feeling after the interview or do you think your stats aren't up to par?
A mixture of both. Both schools have interesting processes when selecting applicants and by the trends I have observed I feel like I don't stand a chance. I could be wrong and be surprised, but I'm preparing for the worst.

Thanks guys yea that makes sense I was just hesitant because its so soon after- I might wait a week and then send I'm just like paranoid they'll think I'm annoying sending another update 10 days later even if its relevant
You don’t want to send it in too late, and it might be able to just be added to the other one if they’re close together. But them going through a second update at a later date could be to your advantage maybe?

If I were you, I’d probably send the update ASAP, perhaps in reply to the original update email. You could address the potential awkward maybe by being like “A few days after my last email, I was surprised to learn X happened faster than anticipated so I have an additional update” or something similar..

You don’t want to send it in too late, and it might be able to just be added to the other one if they’re close together. But them going through a second update at a later date could be to your advantage maybe?

If I were you, I’d probably send the update ASAP, perhaps in reply to the original update email. You could address the potential awkward maybe by being like “A few days after my last email, I was surprised to learn X happened faster than anticipated so I have an additional update” or something similar..

That's a good idea I'll probably respond to the original one this week with the new info and just say this came to light in the past few days so it could not be included in the previous update but I wanted to send it asap nonetheless

I’m rooting for you man!!!!!

Waitlists suck but post interview rejections hurt the soul.

Reactions: 25 users
Joining the pit of misery. Waitlisted at my top choice. Dilly Dilly!

Last edited:
Waitlisted for USF SELECT but everyone in the past 3 months has been waitlisted by USF so Idk about my chances

Waitlisted for USF SELECT but everyone in the past 3 months has been waitlisted by USF so Idk about my chances

I should be gettting one soon too- I actually wonder if they review people fully (reject people who clearly stand out) or do it automatically and review everyone for real in April

7 II - 2 R's, 3 WL, waiting to hear from 2. Really hoping something goes my way :xf::xf:

Reactions: 7 users
had a random thought and was wondering if you guys knew the answer or how to calculate it: how many people get their first MD acceptance after April 30th or on the legendary traffic day? is there a way to run some stats on the applications process as a whole. I think it would be cool to analyze this. could any of you tell me where to get the information if there are such places? thanks and good luck everyone. I hope we all get off the waitlist boat soon

I can't remember where I heard this, but is it true that schools can see if you've been accepted to other schools on March 15th? And if so, can anyone speak to how this may affect your ranked waitlist position? For example, would someone who has 0 acceptances elsewhere be placed higher on a waitlist compared to someone with similar stats that already has 1+ acceptances?

I think there is likely little use in speculation at this point, but I would imagine the thinking that an MD state school not accepting someone off a waitlist because they were accepted at a T20 would be analogous to a DO school not accepting someone with an MD acceptance.

Would be cool to see one of the experts chime in.

Either way, good luck to everyone on this thread!!

I can't remember where I heard this, but is it true that schools can see if you've been accepted to other schools on March 15th? And if so, can anyone speak to how this may affect your ranked waitlist position? For example, would someone who has 0 acceptances elsewhere be placed higher on a waitlist compared to someone with similar stats that already has 1+ acceptances?

I think they see this April 1st(?)

They say stronger app and/or better fit = more likely to be accepted from waitlist but imo more IIs is also correlated with stronger app since the whole app is looked at again for making post-II decisions and WL positions. This has been my experience stalking old application threads on here for WL movement at least but it's not absolute obviously.

I believe that an unranked waitlist is used to balance a class based on the people who drop out by metrics such as MCAT average, gpa average, diversity, male/female ratio, IS vs OOS and etc. I don’t have a clue how a ranked waitlist works which is the kind of waitlist I’m on.
They are required to just march right through it without regard to any other variable.

They are required to just march right through it without regard to any other variable.
Could you speak to how an unranked waitlist moves? I've also assumed that committees use it to balance variables to maintain a diverse student body.

Could you speak to how an unranked waitlist moves? I've also assumed that committees use it to balance variables to maintain a diverse student body.
Each school has a system in which institutional goals are supported in waitlist selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.