Waitlist Support Group 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Each school has a system in which institutional goals are supported in waitlist selection.
Thank you! It sounds like things like LOIs aren't very important in waitlist selection - would you generally consider this the case? (Except at Columbia where anecdotally it seems to matter)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
3647C20C-F816-4F8E-836A-985F1F2F62BB.jpeg

Reactions: 15 users
Thank you! It sounds like things like LOIs aren't very important in waitlist selection - would you generally consider this the case? (Except at Columbia where anecdotally it seems to matter)
It might make a difference if you are are already accepted to a "better" or cheaper school and would prefer the school where you are waitlisted.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It might make a difference if you are are already accepted to a "better" or cheaper school and would prefer the school where you are waitlisted.

Would you say that sending in updates (if you have any significant ones, that is) can make a greater difference post waitlist decision at schools with an unranked waitlist. Of course, I understand that there are other factors at play here depending on what each school is looking for...

Would you say that sending in updates (if you have any significant ones, that is) can make a greater difference post waitlist decision at schools with an unranked waitlist. Of course, I understand that there are other factors at play here depending on what each school is looking for...
Most "updates" have little effect on an outcome in my experience.

Reactions: 2 users
I think they see this April 1st(?)

They say stronger app and/or better fit = more likely to be accepted from waitlist but imo more IIs is also correlated with stronger app since the whole app is looked at again for making post-II decisions and WL positions. This has been my experience stalking old application threads on here for WL movement at least but it's not absolute obviously.

I don't doubt your observation that more II --> stronger app --> more likely to get off WL. but could it bc probabilistically, if you're on more WL, you're more likely to get off a WL?

Most "updates" have little effect on an outcome in my experience.

Interesting. I thought I read that new grades and publications were something worth updating schools on, especially post interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Interesting. I thought I read that new grades and publications were something worth updating schools on, especially post interview.
Perhaps at some point and at some schools this is true. At this point in the cycle, when committees have largely disbanded (except for a subset, perhaps) it's hard to imagine that more data would have a detectable effect.

When the waitlist is ranked, is it usually by academic factors such as GPA or MCAT? Is D.O. school waitlist movement similar to M.D movement? Are there any major differences? Thank you.
The only thing I can tell you about ranked waitlists is what I learned from the LCME: any criteria can be used, but once the list is agreed upon, there can be no deviation.

I am not familiar with the management of DO waitlists, sorry.

Checking in--waitlisted at 5/6 schools where I interviewed. Luckily I came out with one acceptance, but both of my top 2 were in the waitlist category.

When the waitlist is ranked, is it usually by academic factors such as GPA or MCAT? Is D.O. school waitlist movement similar to M.D movement? Are there any major differences? Thank you.
Our Dean likes MCAT scores. Our Emily old Admissions Dean has a different criteria, one designed to maximize yield, in his opinion. The Adcom doesn't care for his strategy though.

well everyone, I scheduled a new MCAT though I know its a small fix to my app its something I am positive I can bring up since I took it in community college and now I've actually taken Biochem, Genetics and several other courses instead of self-teaching I can bring it up from a 511 to something more competitive. I will be extremely happy should I have to cancel my test date but I'm a "plan for the worst and hope for the best" type of person. plus it would be just my luck to hear back from schools after I've already registered to take the MCAT again lol.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I have been chosen... Farewell my friends, I go on to a better place... (as Sid the first semester looks at me hungrily)

Reactions: 22 users
Congrats! Where to??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’ve made too many people angry with my defense of nursing so I don’t want to say, but
let’s just say... A very well known mid-tier MD. I also got 4 D.O. Acceptances, but... not having to take two sets of boards, not having to pay high private tuition... Unfortunately not much choice there!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know of the list of schools that start accepting waitlisted applicants before 4/30? Does such information exist anywhere?

Does anyone know of the list of schools that start accepting waitlisted applicants before 4/30? Does such information exist anywhere?
My friend got into Western Michigan Univ. off the waitlist a month ago, but that is an unranked list and they explicitly say it is re-reviewed at every admissions meeting so it is one of the few that keeps looking into it.

I am waitlisted at UMN but how they define the waitlist is essentially a deferred decision, they say 'you can be accepted, rejected or placed on ranked alternate list anytime before 5/15'. For your schools, I would try to look into the specific conditions/setup of the waitlist. But that might not be out there :/

Wake has accepted a couple students off the waitlist over the last couple months as seats open up.

Wake has accepted a couple students off the waitlist over the last couple months as seats open up.
At my interview at wake (3/5) they said they probably won't be taking any more students off the waitlist until after April 30th, but they recommend letters of intent if you were waitlisted and are serious about Wake.

I know Tulane does!

At my interview at wake (3/5) they said they probably won't be taking any more students off the waitlist until after April 30th, but they recommend letters of intent if you were waitlisted and are serious about Wake.
461FBDCD-72A3-4571-8958-A04664F5DFFF.jpeg

sorry for the bad meme

Jumping in here. I'm on one WL (MD), waiting to hear from 2 other schools (one MD, one DO). Going a bit stir crazy wondering if I'll be in school this fall.

lol my bad if i am, i just remember reading posts about LOI's (here, here, and here) and wasn't sure how useful they would be, but i guess since Wake said they want one then I'll send it! thanks for letting me know!
I wrote one to my top choice after calling and asking if they accept LOI's. If you are unsure, I'd just call and ask. Wake definitely takes them and I don't think it'd hurt, even if you don't have an acceptance anywhere else. Good luck!

JUST GOT AN ACCEPTANCE TO MY TOP SCHOOL!!!!! IM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!

Reactions: 29 users
JUST GOT AN ACCEPTANCE TO MY TOP SCHOOL!!!!! IM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!

Update that sig boiiii :) congrats! It takes a while to set in but it's so nice knowing the premed days are over!

I thought a letter of intent could only be taken seriously if you had another acceptance that you are using as leverage

I don't think so. Schools don't know if you've been accepted elsewhere until they accept you. Letters of intent are just meant to communicate that if accepted, you will attend their school.

I don't think so. Schools don't know if you've been accepted elsewhere until they accept you. Letters of intent are just meant to communicate that if accepted, you will attend their school.
I think after April 1st all schools will be able to see all of your acceptances. Pleasure to meet you folks btw, I have a few more waitlists left too

If a school sees you have no other acceptances, are they more likely to offer an acceptance off the waitlist since you'll more likely accept, or are they less likely to accept you since you're not a desirable candidate?

If a school sees you have no other acceptances, are they more likely to offer an acceptance off the waitlist since you'll more likely accept, or are they less likely to accept you since you're not a desirable candidate?
This has been asked in various threads before, and I've seen 'experts' like Goro say it doesn't really make a difference. They still accept who they like best/who fits the school's mission best.

Doubt they care lol. But they won't feel bad if you got nowhere else to go.

On 4 wait lists, so scared that the next one will be wait list too. Also losing motivation for the interviews I have left :(

I've asked this to a number of people but I seem to get conflicting responses. What is the consensus on getting another letter of recommendation to help get off the waitlist? This letter would comment on an area that hasn't been previously commented on by other letter writers of course.

Jumping on this thread.
2/3 WLs so far and waiting since early November for the 3rd school I interviewed at. The 2 schools I've been wait listed at are both with very very few number of post-interview rejections (one with no post-interview rejects) so I have no idea where I stand... What a process!

Jumping on this thread.
2/3 WLs so far and waiting since early November for the 3rd school I interviewed at. The 2 schools I've been wait listed at are both with very very few number of post-interview rejections (one with no post-interview rejects) so I have no idea where I stand... What a process!
Ugh I’ve never tried to look at post interview rejection rates, but that doesn’t make sense how one would not reject anybody soon after the interview. Unless they only interview 1.5-2x the size of the matriculating class, that is a lot of extra people hanging on the fringes. It’s not nice to never narrow it down to something realistic.

Jumping on this thread.
Same thing happened to me with a DO school back in August, good luck to us both lol

Ugh I’ve never tried to look at post interview rejection rates, but that doesn’t make sense how one would not reject anybody soon after the interview. Unless they only interview 1.5-2x the size of the matriculating class, that is a lot of extra people hanging on the fringes. It’s not nice to never narrow it down to something realistic.
Yeah I agree. Unfortunately, the school without any rejections is a new school (Nova) that stated that they don't know their yield to reject anyone yet... While they're interviewing 6x the class size I think (not sure but ~300 for 50 seats). The other is a state school who used to have a completely different cycle the last several years and has it drastically changed this year where only 1-3ish post interview rejections reported on SDN and not as many acceptances as previous years with tons of wait listed applicants.

Some schools like Vandy don’t do post II rejections and just waitlist everybody not accepted. That way they have a large pool of people to draw from.

In part having no rejections post II makes sense, because when you’re already interviewing all really great candidates it’s hard enough to choose.

And like that new school, that makes a lot of sense since they’re likely to lose some people since they’re new, and they just don’t know how many people will pick them over other schools.

FYI, Seton Hall just started accepting primaries today for next year's matriculating class. There is no secondary, and review for II's is done only off primaries. Worth a shot for those still not accepted and those with ties to NY-NJ area.

Not a shill but they are also offering 30% off tuition...

FYI, Seton Hall just started accepting primaries today for next year's matriculating class. There is no secondary, and review for II's is done only off primaries. Worth a shot for those still not accepted and those with ties to NY-NJ area.

Not a shill but they are also offering 30% off tuition...
Do you know if they are offering government financial aid?

Accepted to an amazing DO school and waitlisted at my state school. It’s a great feeling to know I’m going to be a doctor but it’d be nice to have half the debt and stay close to home :D Crossing my fingers for movement!

Reactions: 13 users
I am so grateful for this thread lol

I just got my first waitlist letter from the last school I was waiting to hear back from. ECU's BSOM does not rank their waitlist so does anyone have any advice for me on how to get off this waitlist??

Just got my first solo win on PUBG a few days ago, some good things do happen on the waitlist

Reactions: 12 users
Just got my first solo win on PUBG a few days ago, some good things do happen on the waitlist

You’re totally playing the wrong game, everyone knows that fortnite is what gets all the likes now :D

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.