Waitlist Support Group 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re totally playing the wrong game, everyone knows that fortnite is what gets all the likes now :D
Overwatch forever

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Overwatch forever
I beat GTA 5 a couple weeks before the MCAT and that went well, hoping the video games make the wait go by faster. Is fortnite like the more animated, colorful, building version of PUBG?

4 II's, 3 waitlists, 1 post-II rejection. Fun times. And seeing the new MSAR MCAT medians is just the cherry on top.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
4 II's, 3 waitlists, 1 post-II rejection. Fun times. And seeing the new MSAR MCAT medians is just the cherry on top.
It would of been really helpful seeing the 2017 data before applying this year. Some MCAT medians really changed from 2016 to 2017 and none seemed to go down.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got my first solo win on PUBG a few days ago, some good things do happen on the waitlist

I got so tilted with the whole process that I decided to try learning league of legends. I got even more tilted.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an email from my number 1 choice, where I'm waitlisted...inviting me to watch their live webcast of second look :dead:

Almost had a heart attack.

Reactions: 6 users
It would of been really helpful seeing the 2017 data before applying this year. Some MCAT medians really changed from 2016 to 2017 and none seemed to go down.

Maybe this caused medical schools to receive much more applications than usual? I know I wouldn't have applied to schools that now have a 517+ matriculant MCAT whereas before they had a 512.

Just got an email from my number 1 choice, where I'm waitlisted...inviting me to watch their live webcast of second look :dead:

This could constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 9 users

It could mean you’re at the top of the WL. What does the school specific forum say about other people being invited or not?

But yeah the racing heartrate is real from any post II schools email popping up.

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlists are the WORST, especially when the notification comes like six months after you interview at a school. At that point, you've had so much time to imagine what your life will be like there, only to be disappointed. It gets even worse when you realize that schools accept 1.5-2x the number of seats available up front, so, in order to get off a waitlist, you have to wait for all of those extra people to first decline before they start pulling names from a list...(a list of literally hundreds of interviewees). :bang:

I'm grateful for the acceptances that I have, but am holding out for places that will make it easier for my significant other to join me. It's sad to hear from Goro that LOIs generally have little to no effect. Does anyone have tips for getting off waitlists? Or should we just mentally move on and then be pleasantly surprised if we become one of the chosen few?

Last edited:
It could mean you’re at the top of the WL. What does the school specific forum say about other people being invited or not?

But yeah the racing heartrate is real from any post II schools email popping up.
Haha, I hope it means I'm at the top of the WL! That would be fantastic news. The school-specific forum hasn't said anything about it--but then it really just happened.

To those who have multiple waitlists and one or more acceptances: did y'all think your interview was better at the accepted school? If better, in what ways/how did you improve from previous interviews?

I'm grateful for the acceptances that I have, but am holding out for places that will make it easier for my significant other to join me. It's sad to hear from Goro that LOIs generally have little to no effect. Does anyone have tips for getting off waitlists? Or do should we just mentally move on and then be pleasantly surprised if we become one of the chosen few?

I know how you feel. I would say do what you can and then stop thinking about it (I know, easier said than done). So send your LOIs or updates if you have them (it can't hurt right?) I guess that's the best you can do, and then at least you'll be satisfied that you've done everything in your power to make your case. Whatever happens next is no longer in your control.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who have multiple waitlists and one or more acceptances: did y'all think your interview was better at the accepted school? If better, in what ways/how did you improve from previous interviews?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. In my own experience, I do not think the interviews significantly influenced my acceptance/waitlist outcome. At the majority of places where I interviewed, the interviews were very conversational. The places where I was accepted, I got the sense that when I walked into the room the interviewer already had a positive bias toward my application because they happened to really like my unusual and non-traditional background. They "got" who I am and what I am about, and this was reflected in the types of perceptive questions they asked me. In many of the places where I was waitlisted/rejected, the questions the interviewers asked me indicated they were more perplexed by my background, and I found it difficult to overcome that feeling. Multiple interviewers were so hung up on my age, how many years I've been out of undergrad, what my significant other's plans were, etc. that we had little time to talk about anything else. Maybe others with more charisma or adept interview skills could have turned the tables, but that's just my experience.

I also think that I got a lot of interviews at "top" schools because I have an unusual background, but that, when it comes down to brass tax, I lack the hundreds/thousands of clinical/research hours that some other candidates have. In other words, I think your application can sometimes be competitive enough to get an interview somewhere, but not competitive enough to get an outright acceptance (assuming decisions are made holistically, with the interview only being one factor). Certainty, behaving unprofessionally would have a huge impact on your application, but if you are articulate, professional, and poised (like 99.9% of other applicants that I saw), I don't see how the interviews can really sway the decisions one way or another.

Again, this is just my opinion. I'd be curious to hear about the experience of others on this!

My best interview (absolute slam dunk, couldn’t have asked for it to be better) resulted in a WL.

The frustrating thing is that I think many schools weight scores, apps/PS, and interview evenly.

Reactions: 5 users
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. In my own experience, I do not think the interviews significantly influenced my acceptance/waitlist outcome. At the majority of places where I interviewed, the interviews were very conversational. The places where I was accepted, I got the sense that when I walked into the room the interviewer already had a positive bias toward my application because they happened to really like my unusual and non-traditional background. They "got" who I am and what I am about, and this was reflected in the types of perceptive questions they asked me. In many of the places where I was waitlisted/rejected, the questions the interviewers asked me indicated they were more perplexed by my background, and I found it difficult to overcome that feeling. Multiple interviewers were so hung up on my age, how many years I've been out of undergrad, what my significant other's plans were, etc. that we had little time to talk about anything else. Maybe others with more charisma or adept interview skills could have turned the tables, but that's just my experience.

I also think that I got a lot of interviews at "top" schools because I have an unusual background, but that, when it comes down to brass tax, I lack the hundreds/thousands of clinical/research hours that some other candidates have. In other words, I think your application can sometimes be competitive enough to get an interview somewhere, but not competitive enough to get an outright acceptance (assuming decisions are made holistically, with the interview only being one factor). Certainty, behaving unprofessionally would have a huge impact on your application, but if you are articulate, professional, and poised (like 99.9% of other applicants that I saw), I don't see how the interviews can really sway the decisions one way or another.

Again, this is just my opinion. I'd be curious to hear about the experience of others on this!
Honestly, that's exactly how I feel. My first two interviews I didn't feel like I answered a couple questions right but overall good, was wait listed at both. Next one felt like I bombed, wait listed. Then next one, was amazing, wait listed. Last interview which I felt was amazing too, no idea what to expect at this point. Probably wait list lol.

This. I have really similar cycle results and totally feel what you're saying about being good enough to interview, but not being desirable enough to be their first choice. My best interview in my mind actually ended up in a rejection, but this school rejects ~50% of applicants post-II, so I don't think I'm completely misunderstanding my performance.

At the few schools where I got in, the interviewers were much more impressed with my app than other interviewers were. Coincidentally, these schools were also less selective than most other schools I visited. Likely, the adcoms at those schools were more impressed too. The common theme is that the interview is just one part of the equation.

I think in some cases the interview can have a significant effect if you are at the borderline of what the school wants to accept. If you have a stellar interview, you can get in or be WL'd. If you have a poor interview, you can be rejected or WL'd. I'd wager that "bad" interviews more commonly fall under the category of not expressing interest in the school, especially for mid/low tiers, rather than coming off as rude, incompetent, or unprofessional.

I agree with you in general, though. Most people probably interview at least decently well, especially at schools where the interviews are designed to be conversational.

Last edited:
Does anyone have tips for getting off waitlists?
Here's my advice:

Don't stop doing anything that you've been doing. Continue to maintain high grades, all of your volunteering, etc.

Contact the school and ask them if they are receptive to updates or letters of intent. If they are, I would a letter of intent detailing the specific aspects of the school that you like, why you are a good fit, etc. Then, a little closer to when the big waitlist movement begins, write an update on everything you've done since the original application/interview.

Some may disagree with this, but I personally recommend calling the admissions occasionally (like, one a month during waitlist season) to check in on your status. You will in all likelihood not get any additional information from this, but it does keep your name circulating a little bit and could very well help (if they have to accept someone the day before school begins for some reason, I imagine they're going to go for somebody who has clearly demonstrated continuous enthusiasm rather than somebody who got their waitlist notification and never contacted them again).

Obviously, none of these things are going to cause a major shift in the odds. But they may bring your odds from low to slightly-less-low, which is sometimes all you need in life.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm on one wait-list at the Medical University of South Carolina and have an acceptance at one MD school and one DO school. The MSAR says MUSC's wait-list usually has 25-30 people on it and they take 20 people off. Really hoping to be taken off in April. The wait is killing me

Interviewed on 10/20 or something - the second interview day at Western Michigan University - and got off today.
Just a friendly reminder that it happens :) chin up people of the Waitlist game

Reactions: 28 users
One of my favorite schools that I'm waitlisted at invited me to participate in their Second Look day. From what I understand, this is usually for accepted students to learn more about the school when making a decision. What does it mean to be offered a second visit as a waitlisted student? Is this worth going to, and if so how should I prepare for it?

One of my favorite schools that I'm waitlisted at invited me to participate in their Second Look day. From what I understand, this is usually for accepted students to learn more about the school when making a decision. What does it mean to be offered a second visit as a waitlisted student? Is this worth going to, and if so how should I prepare for it?

For one of my schools' second look registration email, it said that they offer (my) seat to highly ranked waitlisted applicants if I decline to attend. Probably not the case for all schools but you could call the office and ask to confirm! Hopefully it bodes well for you :)

For one of my schools' second look registration email, it said that they offer (my) seat to highly ranked waitlisted applicants if I decline to attend. Probably not the case for all schools but you could call the office and ask to confirm! Hopefully it bodes well for you :)
They can't take your seat away unless you fail to reduce to a single acceptance on April 30th.

They can't take your seat away unless you fail to reduce to a single acceptance on April 30th.
I think they mean the seat to attend second look

I'm definitely feeling the sentiment here that all factors are evenly weighted after the interviews.

Interview outcomes:
MD: 2 R, 1 WL
DO: 3 A

Really don't think I was that different in the interviews (except for the one MD interview that grilled me on ECs)... so with relatively equal performance being considered, it really seems like the interviews don't mean crap in general. My ECs were too weak for MD but my stats were strong for DO; no coincidence I got in DO but not MD. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd say they invited you because they expect the list to move enough to put you in the class. Since it's one of your favorite schools, you should definitely go! I wouldn't expect anything you do or say to impact your decision, but just be polite and personally thank somebody in admissions for inviting you to attend the day from the waitlist.

How much do final senior semester grades matter for waitlists? I have already sent in updates and letters of interest to all the schools that waitlisted me. Can’t I just not send my final grades until if and when I’m accepted? I’m not looking at failing a class or anything. Just maybe a couple Bs this semester

How much do final senior semester grades matter for waitlists? I have already sent in updates and letters of interest to all the schools that waitlisted me. Can’t I just not send my final grades until if and when I’m accepted? I’m not looking at failing a class or anything. Just maybe a couple Bs this semester
Yeah I don’t think the grades matter at all unless you fail a prerequisite, then they might. Your gpa shouldn’t change enough over the semester for the school to care. If I was WL at any schools that accepted unofficial transcripts I’d send it then at the end of the semester to show interest, but I doubt it would make a difference (so if you could do this but have a bad grade, just don’t do it. No one will think much if you don’t send in those grades)

Just found out about this thread, and I'm joining in. Thank goodness for my one DO acceptance, or I would be a nervous wreck right now...

Reactions: 8 users
Just found out about this thread, and I'm joining in. Thank goodness for my one DO acceptance, or I would be a nervous wreck right now...
Yeah I got waitlisted DO along with MD and it’s not fun lol

Hey everyone!

I too am also stuck in this unfortunate state of uncertainty!

5 II, 5 WL

I’m doing my best to remain hopeful, but I’m also preparing for reapplication. The tension and stress that the application process places upon applicants is stunning imo. I never thought it would be THIS stressful!

With that being said though, I truly hope that each and every one of us hears back with fantastic news :) While I wish we weren’t in this situation, it’s nice to be able to have a support group to look to for encouragement!

Good luck to you all!

hi friends, so one year ago, I was exactly where y'all are right now. Keep your head up and hope for the best, get those LOIs/updates in and never give up. This might be a bit early, but I've been doing a crapton of writeups for the only reason I will be going to medical school in the fall, so I thought I would advertise here too. For those of you interested in applying again in the future via the postbac/SMP route, I suggest you check out the ACLP at Tulane SOM. It is a one-year program with extremely high linkage rates to Tulane (100% '18, 87% '17). Though unlike similar programs, it requires applicants to have been currently waitlisted at an accredited U.S. medical school (MD/DO). The current year's application thread can be found here: Tulane ACLP 2018-2019

but of course if you get in off the waitlist somewhere please take that LOL rooting for everyone!!!

Joining the club—I’m only sitting on 1 WL, but it’s from what was one of my top schools going into the cycle. The frustrating part is that the WL does have movement, but it tends to be later in the summer when I’ll probably be unable to make the move there due to personal/family factors :oops:

Glad to have an acceptance to my state school though, and my fingers are crossed that things might work out!

Does anyone have any idea how High Priority Waitlists Work? Because it’s technically not ranked but there are two seperate waitlists.

Does anyone have any idea how High Priority Waitlists Work? Because it’s technically not ranked but there are two seperate waitlists.
Really depends what school. The one I’m most familiar with doesn’t reveal rank within the high priority pool, but likely has one. Or they do a continuous review of it when a new seat opens up and consider everyone in the high priority pool. Some programs, all of the high priority gets in because they save the last 1/3 of the classes seats for the last 3-4 months of interviews but don’t accept anyone after mid december interviews, so at that particular program it’s mostly a deferred acceptance. Like I said, totally depends by school.

In the past week I Got put on 2 WL (so 4 total now— I’m only staying on one list though) for schools I interviewed at late this cycle that were among my top choices... really puts a damper on that feeling of “omg I can’t believe I got an interview there!”

Anyway, I’m lucky enough to have been accepted already this time, but I’m a Re-Applicant who rode the waitlist express previously. It’s just a terrible feeling to put so much hard work into these applications and wait for so long only to be told to MAAAAAYBE hold on and wait a few more months...

So anyway good luck to y’all still waiting.

Really depends what school. The one I’m most familiar with doesn’t reveal rank within the high priority pool, but likely has one. Or they do a continuous review of it when a new seat opens up and consider everyone in the high priority pool. Some programs, all of the high priority gets in because they save the last 1/3 of the classes seats for the last 3-4 months of interviews but don’t accept anyone after mid december interviews, so at that particular program it’s mostly a deferred acceptance. Like I said, totally depends by school.
Wow thank you so much for that detailed response! Hopefully the HPWL that I’m on is a deferred acceptance one. I was waitlisted at Albert Einstein, so fingers crossed!

Just out of curiosity, can one attempt to sustain contact with the admissions staff to maintain a level of demonstrated interest (aside from LOCIs), perhaps increase the prospect of attending that institution? Wondering if the semantics are at all equal/related, as I am in the process of doing this myself as an undergraduate applicant yet I totally acknowledge the massive disparity in the formalities of both communities. Sure, being overzealous wouldn't help but if the interest is sincere, could it really hurt?

Just out of curiosity, can one attempt to sustain contact with the admissions staff to maintain a level of demonstrated interest (aside from LOCIs), perhaps increase the prospect of attending that institution? Wondering if the semantics are at all equal/related, as I am in the process of doing this myself as an undergraduate applicant yet I totally acknowledge the massive disparity in the formalities of both communities. Sure, being overzealous wouldn't help but if the interest is sincere, could it really hurt?
At my undergrad institution, the pre-med club president does this because someone in the medical school connected to it is the club's advisor. I don't know a natural way for you to have that much contact besides something like this, or by doing research in someone's lab in the med school and hoping they are on the admissions committee next year. In regards to your last sentence, just make sure it's not annoying - you could have a ton of sincere interest but if you're talking to them all the time and asking the same exact questions, they might not like it.

Does last years class gender distribution hint anything about future WL movement? I know I saw somewhere, for example, if the class after April 30th was all male they would probably take all females off WL.

One WL I have was 70% female last year and I'm a male so idk if that means they might take more males of the WL this time if it happens again!

I think there is a fine line between showing demonstrated interest and just being outright annoying and personally, I wouldn't want to test to see where that line is

Does last years class gender distribution hint anything about future WL movement? I know I saw somewhere, for example, if the class after April 30th was all male they would probably take all females off WL.

One WL I have was 70% female last year and I'm a male so idk if that means they might take more males of the WL this time if it happens again!
1- Is WL ranked or unranked? Because if its ranked they cant really change it like that for gender (unless thats how they made their rankings)
2- I think they try to balance out the class each year for most schools so its weird a class was 70% female last year, but maybe being higher in females works towards the schools mission and gender diversity is the only type of diversity they're getting. I don't think schools look at their previous classes when setting up the incoming class because each cycle is its own new random group of individuals, but it could happen I suppose.

1II --> 1 post-II hold.
I could use ALL of your good vibes right now. :shy:

Reactions: 16 users
Happy Easter everyone!! Joining the waitlist train. 5 II, 2 WL, 1 Hold, 1 Post II R

Waitlisted at my top choice now, and sitting on another waitlist. Crossing my fingers I want to go sooo bad!!!!

Did anyone else receive an email from the AAMC talking about recommendations for applicants? I thought it was interesting that it stated that it is courteous for accepted applicants to notify schools as soon as they can about not attending their institution so that other applicants may be able to be accepted sooner. I really hope that others read that as well. It certainly would help me out, lol!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Did anyone else receive an email from the AAMC talking about recommendations for applicants? I though it was interesting that it stated that it is courteous for accepted applicants to notify schools as soon as they can about not attending their institution so that other applicants may be able to be accepted sooner. I really hope that others read that as well. It certainly would help me out, lol!
I hope they read it too but I also lament the fact that they need to be reminded that their decisions affect their peers.

4 waitlists now. Let's hope Traffic Day treats us well

Reactions: 8 users
I think I read from @gonnif or another Adcom that you are officially a student of that school when you attend first day of class. Therefore, you can attend the DO white coat and still accept the MD school if pulled off its waitlist. Although you will likely lose the DO deposit.
Former Director of Admissions here...If you have begun a pre-matriculation program, an orientation program or matriculated or enrolled/registered or started classes, another school is NOT supposed to make an offer to you. Your "acceptance" is reported to AAMC and schools will have that information. The school that is about to offer you a seat is required to notify the school where you are holding a seat by phone. At that time, the Dean of the school who wants to make you an offer would be advised of your status with them and wouldn't (shouldn't!) make you the offer. If the rule was violated, school A could/should report school B. The responder is correct in that the allopathic and osteopathic schools do not share their databases, but the applicant/student is held to a high standard of integrity. If you "played the system" of one school against the other and were discovered, both offers could be rescinded. This is a good time to follow the rules. I am working with a client right now in that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.