Waitlist Support Group 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been posting or lurking here for the past several months but just wanna ask how many of you are still sitting on NO acceptances? I interviewed at 9 schools by early April and got put on a total of 7 waitlists. I was hopeful up until my graduation in May but since then I've kinda forgotten about all of it so now I'm just trying to take it one day at a time. Don't really think I will be getting more acceptances soon and even if I do, there would be no financial aid anyways because all the grants have likely been given away so I just want to know how you all are holding up. Thanks!

Waiting on one WL right now at GW and yeah it's definitely rough to consider a move so last minute for such a stressful journey but I'm still hopeful however started my applications for this cycle as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1/3 by several med students

That sounds about right. This is my first application cycle and I had:
4 total inteviews
1 post II rejection
3 WL
And now waiting on 1 school for an acceptance before starting an MBS program in late August.

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard of people who get accepted a few days before orientation, but that made me think of a potential problem. Three of the five waitlists I'm on are at schools located in cities that both are far from where I live and likely require me to have a car. I played around on Google Maps and realized that it would take me at least 6 days to drive to Pittsburgh, 7 days to drive to Rochester, NY, and 8 days to drive to Worcester, MA, on very rushed road trips (I live in Southern California). Thus, would it look bad if I withdrew from the waitlist at schools to which I plan to reapply in the future, or would they understand that I withdrew because I physically couldn't make it even if I were lucky enough to get accepted? I don't want to make it seem that I lost interest in these schools because that's definitely not the case. (I'm not withdrawing now or any time soon, of course; just asking about when it gets uncomfortably close to the orientation date at each of these schools.). Thanks!

I've heard of people who get accepted a few days before orientation, but that made me think of a potential problem. Three of the five waitlists I'm on are at schools located in cities that both are far from where I live and likely require me to have a car. I played around on Google Maps and realized that it would take me at least 6 days to drive to Pittsburgh, 7 days to drive to Rochester, NY, and 8 days to drive to Worcester, MA, on very rushed road trips (I live in Southern California). Thus, would it look bad if I withdrew from the waitlist at schools to which I plan to reapply in the future, or would they understand that I withdrew because I physically couldn't make it even if I were lucky enough to get accepted? I don't want to make it seem that I lost interest in these schools because that's definitely not the case. (I'm not withdrawing now or any time soon, of course; just asking about when it gets uncomfortably close to the orientation date at each of these schools.). Thanks!
Just ride it out.

Reactions: 3 users

Honestly, you just spend a lot of money in a short period of time. You pay for the flight, you rent a car for a month, and you ship your car/furniture when you have time. It isn't easy but you can justify it to yourself that you get a whole extra year of physician salary.

Reactions: 8 users
Honestly, you just spend a lot of money in a short period of time. You pay for the flight, you rent a car for a month, and you ship your car/furniture when you have time. It isn't easy but you can justify it to yourself that you get a whole extra year of physician salary.
Last minute housing is a pain to find though too but ya I guess the salary at the end makes it better

I am in a similar situation as you. Last minute is not ideal, but personally I will take the acceptance if offered and make it work!
My WL schools are all out of state and the MBS program I am accepted to already is in Scranton (i'm in SoCal). Either way Im gonna have to scramble.

If you wind up getting accepted to Pittsburgh and I wind up going to Scranton, we could carpool together. LOL Just a thought!

Last minute housing is a pain to find though too but ya I guess the salary at the end makes it better
You might have to consider AirBnb or a longer stay hotel type place at the beginning if you do find yourself in that situation FYI :)

I was hoping for some input. I am on the waitlist at a school in the east coast but I live on the west coast. I know my chances are low since its so late in the cycle, but do you think admissions would consider my location negatively when considering sending me an acceptance close to the start date of class, and would sending a LOI help my situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was hoping for some input. I am on the waitlist at a school in the east coast but I live on the west coast. I know my chances are low since its so late in the cycle, but do you think admissions would consider my location negatively when considering sending me an acceptance close to the start date of class, and would sending a LOI help my situation?
Are you holding any acceptances?

I am in a similar situation as you. Last minute is not ideal, but personally I will take the acceptance if offered and make it work!
My WL schools are all out of state and the MBS program I am accepted to already is in Scranton (i'm in SoCal). Either way Im gonna have to scramble.

If you wind up getting accepted to Pittsburgh and I wind up going to Scranton, we could carpool together. LOL Just a thought!

LOL That's one huge if, but no joke if it happens I'm down.

Unfortunately, I am not accepted elsewhere.

Then an "LOI" would not help. They already know you will come.

Hello, I’m in a similar boat except that I do have an acceptance (though not at a “better” school). Can sending an LOI to the east coast school hurt?

Hello, I’m in a similar boat except that I do have an acceptance (though not at a “better” school). Can sending an LOI to the east coast school hurt?
If they accept them, it won't hurt, but it is unlikely to help in this cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Officially throwing in the towel. The school I was holding out for has already begun classes. It's been a tough few months but this thread has helped! Good luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 10 users
Hello to everyone,

I just got an acceptance off of one of my waitlists - I was just about ready to throw in the towel, but I guess you should never say never. Keep hanging in there to those still on wait lists, and good luck to everyone, either in med school or future cycles.

Reactions: 32 users
Hello to everyone,

I just got an acceptance off of one of my waitlists - I was just about ready to throw in the towel, but I guess you should never say never. Keep hanging in there to those still on wait lists, and good luck to everyone, either in med school or future cycles.

congrats!!! which school?

Send me a PM and I'll be happy to let you know.
If someone clicks your name they can view your post history, maybe you want to change your profile settings if you’re that concerned about privacy :)

Guys...I started orientation this week at a medical school (the only MD acceptance I received) and the same day I got a call from my top choice about an opening in the class. I swear...this application process has been insane.

Reactions: 14 users
Guys...I started orientation this week at a medical school (the only MD acceptance I received) and the same day I got a call from my top choice about an opening in the class. I swear...this application process has been insane.

I'm not too knowledgeable about the rules here. Does that mean it's too late to take the spot at your top choice?

I'm not too knowledgeable about the rules here. Does that mean it's too late to take the spot at your top choice?
I've talked to both school and no, it's not too late because I haven't paid any fees to the school I went to orientation at. I'd have to stop attending the school ASAP though

I've talked to both school and no, it's not too late because I haven't paid any fees to the school I went to orientation at. I'd have to stop attending the school ASAP though
So will you be able to attend your top choice? Also I thought as long as you matriculated such as attended orientation/started classes you are unable to take other acceptance offers?

So will you be able to attend your top choice? Also I thought as long as you matriculated such as attended orientation/started classes you are unable to take other acceptance offers?
...until the abolition of traffic rules.

This has since been superseded, I'm afraid, with an essential free for all.
The wording on accepting matriculants is now some namby pamby like "schools may have difficulty filling their class if students are accepted after matriculation." I have the actual wording at the office, will post later.
The document says its effective until the end of the 2018 application on September 2018.

Im all for the new rules, just don't want to get my hopes up.

Yes, I know. A subsequent document was issued detailing the changes, effective immediately.
I still don't understand why the AAMC thought this would be a great idea. It's just mass chaos for everyone involved.

I officially just changed schools. Turned everything in at the school I was originally accepted to and just paid the deposit at my top choice. Life is crazy

Reactions: 16 users
No, more likely, for not taking from the waitlist someone who had already accepted an offer elsewhere but before classes started. That would be collusion.
Now it doesn't matter whether they have started classes or not. There are no rules, just "suggestions.".

This thread's been dead recently but I just got my first acceptance today. So happy!! Too bad I spent my summer finding a job and re-applying to schools...but now class starts in two weeks. This is crazy! :laugh:

Thank you everyone here for your help and support and good luck with your future plans.

Reactions: 28 users
This thread's been dead recently but I just got my first acceptance today. So happy!! Too bad I spent my summer finding a job and re-applying to schools...but now class starts in two weeks. This is crazy! :laugh:
I need this luck!

Reactions: 2 users

Thank you everyone here for your help and support and good luck with your future plans.
Congrats man, I've been seeing you around SDN for some time and am glad you finally got in!!! If you dont mind, what school was it?

Congrats man, I've been seeing you around SDN for some time and am glad you finally got in!!! If you dont mind, what school was it?
Upstate. I saw you got accepted there last week, and now me too!

Status
Not open for further replies.