Waitlist Support Group 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am confused by your feelings. Which part strikes you as unethical?
I guess I feel like if his/her co-workers don't know about this or wouldn't approve of his information to students because it's unfair to other applicants then it could be unethical for me to even be here reading these posts.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I feel like if his/her co-workers don't know about this or wouldn't approve of his information to students because it's unfair to other applicants then it could be unethical for me to even be here reading these posts.
Then you should probably leave and not read his posts. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just hypocritical and/or disappointing. Adcomms want honesty and ethics but they may not actually practice it daily.
Exactly what does he post that is hypocritical? :confused: And exactly how is he not honest and ethical? o_O

Reactions: 1 users
Exactly what does he post that is hypocritical? :confused: And exactly how is he not honest and ethical? o_O
I'm also trying to wrap my mind around somebody trying to highroad an adcom member...is this troll? You're not contributing to the topic of the thread and just stroking your apparently superior sense of ethics, so please stop.

Also, somebody I knew got into UCLA mid-July a couple cycles ago, so I guess it's not so surprising that there's still movement. I'm guessing the UCLA candidate pool overlaps significantly with other top ranked programs so there's bound to be some shuffling up there that might not "trickle down."

Does anybody have any insight on people's experiences with getting in super late (like during orientation)? How does it work out logistically with regards to finding living arrangements, figuring out tuition/loans, and having to deal with the two while starting school?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
In the case he isn't being honest to his colleagues that he is giving advice and info to students? What do you think? Just want to make sure he's being ethical is all.

In the case he isn't being honest to his colleagues that he is giving advice and info to students? What do you think? Just want to make sure he's being ethical is all.

Knowing this information doesn't confer any actual advantage to any applicant that I can picture. Giving advice/info to students is the entire purpose of this website. You may be right that certain members of @gyngyn's adcomm would prefer they don't share this info but to 1. presume this and 2. to accuse them of an ethical violation on these grounds is extremely unprofessional.

Knowing this information doesn't confer any actual advantage to any applicant that I can picture. Giving advice/info to students is the entire purpose of this website. You may be right that certain members of @gyngyn's adcomm would prefer they don't share this info but to 1. presume this and 2. to accuse them of an ethical violation on these grounds is extremely unprofessional.
I didn't accuse. I was asked how this could be unethical and answered with possible circumstances. I merely asked if he could shed some light on this.

I didn't accuse. I was asked how this could be unethical and answered with possible circumstances. I merely asked if he could shed some light on this.

"Just hypocritical and/or disappointing. Adcomms want honesty and ethics but they may not actually practice it daily."
Your words.

"Just hypocritical and/or disappointing. Adcomms want honesty and ethics but they may not actually practice it daily."
Your words.
Let me clarify: just hypocritical and/or disappointing IF all other members of adcomm don't know. How is this a bad thing? Come on now. Just because we like his information doesn't mean we can't question how it's being given to us.

Let me clarify: just hypocritical and/or disappointing IF all other members of adcomm don't know. How is this a bad thing? Come on now. Just because we like his information doesn't mean we can't question how it's being given to us.
This information is not proprietary nor is there any need for it to be private. It is exclusively because it is the AAMC's (and the schools') prerogative to make the process opaque. As a former adcom member at my institution I can tell you that there is no obligation for secrecy and just because a particular committee may not like the information being shared doesn't make it immediately unethical. Furthermore, @gyngyn is simply providing information of things that have already occurred; they are not profiting in any way from sharing this information nor do they have any power over it.

So please don't "come on now" me.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm going to go with the assumption this is a troll. Nothing else makes sense.

This information is not proprietary nor is there any need for it to be private. It is exclusively because it is the AAMC's (and the schools') prerogative to make the process opaque. As a former adcom member at my institution I can tell you that there is no obligation for secrecy and just because a particular committee may not like the information being shared doesn't make it immediately unethical. Furthermore, @gyngyn is simply providing information of things that have already occurred; they are not profiting in any way from sharing this information nor do they have any power over it.

So please don't "come on now" me.
Stop harassing me. I asked the moderator whether his colleagues knew and I thought it could unethical if they didn't. Did you normally speak for other people when you were an adcomm member as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop harassing me. I asked the moderator whether his colleagues knew and I thought it could unethical if they didn't. Did you normally speak for other people when you were an adcomm member as well?
Know what? They have all the same info he has.

How is telling about waitlist movement he sees AFTER it has happened unethical?

Reactions: 1 user
I apologize if you feel I'm harassing you. I felt you, as someone who just joined the website today, were questioning and disparaging a valuable service a long-time member of the community is providing. As a member of this community I felt it was my place to defend said service. Had you instead asked @gyngyn whether their colleagues had known I would not have felt the need to intervene. I will gladly step away and will take a step back to evaluate whether my behavior was unnecessarily aggressive. I would ask for you to similarly re-evaluate our conversation in good faith.

Know what? They have all the same info he has.

How is telling about waitlist movement he sees AFTER it has happened unethical?
Knowing the info doesn't mean they're okay with him telling us. The time is not relevant. I'm just asking if they know and questioning the ethics if they don't.

@Lakerlebron90210 Dude, we are here on this thread to support one another who are on the waitlist. The info gyngyn provided us is something we could ask our pre-med friends whether they have been accepted on their waitlists or not, assuming any of us has a big social network and lot of time to do so. No one is harm in the process nor getting "unethical" advantage of knowing the waitlist is moving.

Let's keep the atmosphere positive as being on the waitlist is already stressful enough for many of us on this thread. If you feel like this absolutely must be answered, you can create your own thread "The ethics of sharing waitlist movement" on SDN.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Maybe for bringing bad juju to a support thread and derailing it by insisting his "ethical concerns" are legitimate or matter at all. Seems like the type of person who tries to constantly contradict a professor during a lecture because s/he enjoys the sound of her/his own voice.

Re-railing, however, I'm am still quite curious about what I posted above:

Does anybody have any insight on people's experiences with getting in super late (like during orientation)? How does it work out logistically with regards to finding living arrangements, figuring out tuition/loans, and having to deal with the two while starting school?

Maybe this is just anecdotal, or maybe it’s an indication of low WL movement this year: only one of my 12 waitlists turned into an acceptance. I was assured so many times that it would be a higher proportion.

Reactions: 12 users
also interested in learning about the answer to this question

Maybe this is just anecdotal, or maybe it’s an indication of low WL movement this year: only one of my 12 waitlists turned into an acceptance. I was assured so many times that it would be a higher proportion.

1>0!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
What proportion were you assured?

Anyone know if NYU in the past has tended to give waitlist acceptances late in the cycle? Obviously not getting my hopes up, but just curious. Thanks!

Hypothetically, what happens if im accepted at one school, and then get accepted to another school the day before orientation? Do I not show up to orientation and just go to the other school?

Hypothetically, what happens if im accepted at one school, and then get accepted to another school the day before orientation? Do I not show up to orientation and just go to the other school?
You inform the school you will not be attending and affirm that you will attend at the other.

That's probably the most waitlists I've ever seen.

1/3 by several med students

That’s the consensus percentage for acceptances/interviews. P(accepted|waitlisted) is much less than P(accepted|interviewed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You inform the school you will not be attending and affirm that you will attend at the other.
So say its Sunday and the school's admissions office is closed, would an email be sufficient?

Is waitlist movement still happening? I would assume very little since some schools start in mid July and that people who start in August have secured their living arrangements and stuff

Is waitlist movement still happening? I would assume very little since some schools start in mid July and that people who start in August have secured their living arrangements and stuff

WWWWW.gif

Reactions: 17 users
Never thought I'd be one of the lucky ones that get to post this, but just got accepted to my NUMBER ONE!!!!! My first MD acceptance! It ain't over til it's over boys and girls!

Reactions: 52 users
Officially rejected from my only waitlist today. It's been a truly humbling application cycle and I cannot thank you all enough for your support. Good luck to everyone else that will be reapplying this cycle! And to those of you still waitlisted- hang in there, I hope good news will be coming soon!!

Reactions: 21 users
Officially rejected from my only waitlist today. It's been a truly humbling application cycle and I cannot thank you all enough for your support. Good luck to everyone else that will be reapplying this cycle! And to those of you still waitlisted- hang in there, I hope good news will be coming soon!!
Man. I didn’t realize they could reject you then too. At least you’re not in suspense anymore. Are you reapplying too?

I haven't been posting or lurking here for the past several months but just wanna ask how many of you are still sitting on NO acceptances? I interviewed at 9 schools by early April and got put on a total of 7 waitlists. I was hopeful up until my graduation in May but since then I've kinda forgotten about all of it so now I'm just trying to take it one day at a time. Don't really think I will be getting more acceptances soon and even if I do, there would be no financial aid anyways because all the grants have likely been given away so I just want to know how you all are holding up. Thanks!

I haven't been posting or lurking here for the past several months but just wanna ask how many of you are still sitting on NO acceptances? I interviewed at 9 schools by early April and got put on a total of 7 waitlists. I was hopeful up until my graduation in May but since then I've kinda forgotten about all of it so now I'm just trying to take it one day at a time. Don't really think I will be getting more acceptances soon and even if I do, there would be no financial aid anyways because all the grants have likely been given away so I just want to know how you all are holding up. Thanks!
4 interviews, 3 WL, and 0 acceptances here

Me! Currently reapplying for this cycle. I know this may sound silly but there's a part of me that's hoping to not get an acceptance from last cycle due to how last minute everything would be. You'd have to apply for all those loans, have little hope of scholarhips, have to find last minute housing and figure out how to move all your stuff across the country etc. There's also the fact that I've regained my optimism for this cycle now that I'm fully committed to this cycle and also dropped $3k on apps so there's that too. I'm on 3 WL but only really have a chance at 1 of them now. I get this may come off as petty and I would be happy to go to any of the schools I'm WL at, but just my 2 cents

I would call some of your schools and ask them what the likelihood is of getting off. Waitlist movement seems to be all over the map this cycle. At least then you will have a little more information. I feel for you, 7 waitlists is a lot!

Man. I didn’t realize they could reject you then too. At least you’re not in suspense anymore. Are you reapplying too?
It's comforting to not be in suspense anymore and to be able to finalize my living arrangements for this next year. Yes I will be reapplying! I'm hoping this next application cycle will bring good news!

Status
Not open for further replies.