Waitlist Support Group 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom got a sticker for her car with the logo of a program I won’t make it off the ranked waitlist into. Hoping my friend gets in and it can be a gift for them. Haven’t asked mom if she ripped it into shreds from being mad yet lol. (She’s not extreme just has to get work emails weekly from my faculty interviewer and it annoys her)

I can’t decide if ranked waitlisted are a blessing or curse- I guess it’s helpful if you know you absolutely won’t be getting off, but what if you are in that in-between? Also, do all ranked programs tell you your rank or at least your general tier?

I have some med school stuff I need to give to friends as well at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I can’t decide if ranked waitlisted are a blessing or curse- I guess it’s helpful if you know you absolutely won’t be getting off, but what if you are in that in-between? Also, do all ranked programs tell you your rank or at least your general tier?

Some are exact rank, some are tier. I’m glad for the ranked ones honestly — if I’ve been waiting since October about where I am on a WL I am glad to know in March where I am instead of in May or June when you just have to give up.

Reactions: 1 users
FYI Maybe start finding housing at the acceptance now so there’s more options if you can. This would be best if your waitlist schools are cheaper, so losing the deposit at the current acceptance apartment isn’t a big deal in the long run if you make it in off the WL, and if you don’t make it in you get to live somewhere you actually want at the current acceptance.

Ahh that's a good idea, I hadn't thought about it like that. I'll probably begin looking for places at all 3 but probably will put down a deposit where my acceptance is. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)

For what it's worth, being on an unranked list means LOIs/updates and the sort are actually impactful from what I keep getting told

Reactions: 3 users
For what it's worth, being on an unranked list means LOIs/updates and the sort are actually impactful from what I keep getting told
This is true, but since waitlists which are ranked have the ranking done so at the end of all interviews, they're also meaningful there. Unranked WL is better for updates if your updates are about events after March or April I suppose, since a ranked WL would not accept it or care much at that point.

Reactions: 1 user
This is true, but since waitlists which are ranked have the ranking done so at the end of all interviews, they're also meaningful there. Unranked WL is better for updates if your updates are about events after March or April I suppose, since a ranked WL would not accept it or care much at that point.
I think it depends but in most cases, I don't think it matters, at least at all the schools I've talked to. Most schools that have a ranked list either don't accept LOIs/updates or don't really consider them since usually the committee ceases to meet after rankings are decided. Thus rankings rarely change. I'm sure there are cases where this doesn't apply. I know at some schools the dean has final say in who's admitted

I think it depends but in most cases, I don't think it matters, at least at all the schools I've talked to. Most schools that have a ranked list either don't accept LOIs/updates or don't really consider them since usually the committee ceases to meet after rankings are decided. Thus rankings rarely change. I'm sure there are cases where this doesn't apply. I know at some schools the dean has final say in who's admitted
My point was that if they accept updates, and you send them before the ranking is done, it could have an impact.
From my personal perspective, I know of 3 schools with ranked WL's, two accepted updates only during the interview and 1 allowed for online update submission by their portal with a set deadline in late Jan.

My point was that if they accept updates, and you send them before the ranking is done, it could have an impact.
From my personal perspective, I know of 3 schools with ranked WL's, two accepted updates only during the interview and 1 allowed for online update submission by their portal with a set deadline in late Jan.

I agree I think they have impact if you send them after an II but before the interview (before committee would meet to vote on you). Sending one after the interview could very well depend on timing/how long you wait or depend on when to committee ranks.
I always thought you got a "score" when voted on and that's your "rank" when put on list with other WL people. But if a school loves updates assume they look at them and I think that would have an impact at a school with an unranked WL as that's not static it seems

Ok I see what you mean now. Ya most schools are like that then. I think there's only a handful of schools with ranked WLs that factor in updates/LOIs after being placed on the list

Thanks for making this. I'm waitlisted at only one school (Albany). For anyone that is graduating this semester, look at the bright side! We get a whole year of not having to come home at the end of the day and still have to worry about school. Lets go get (or continue) full-time jobs, make some money, be home at 5pm and just watch netflix! We can start new hobbies and pick up old ones. We don't have to study for at least a year, and it will be a nice break to get us motivated for med school!

Beacuse I am rooting for you! NJ is a tough state for med school as is CA and New York. I hope you get off the waitlist but if you don’t- you will get in next year with higher MCAT scores. If you still want to go this year, look at Sackler- its affiliated with New York State- is a fabulous program and you can still go this year instead of waiting next year - you would have to apply now as the deadline is approaching! All the very Best to you!
Thank you for the support! I actually received two more interviews in 2 days at the new schools so I'm hoping those work out :)
However, I'm also retaking my MCAT this weekend which I've improved on significantly. Thanks, I looked into the Sackler program but it looks like it's not US accredited, but is accredited by Israel. I'm hoping to get into AAMC accredited US MD schools or DO if I need to reapply! Thanks for the information though.

Last edited:
I'm in need of some advice. I currently am sitting on 4 waitlists and am super stressed about it. My MCAT is a 508, and I will definitely be applying again next year if I don't get in off a waitlist.

Should I start studying for an MCAT retake? If I get at least a 509 on my retake, I can apply to an early decision program at my state school that would pretty much guarantee me an acceptance next year.

I guess I'm just not too sure how common it is for someone to get off a waitlist (or 4, for what it's worth). Maybe I'm just stressing & overthinking the whole thing. What are all of you waitlisters doing to potentially prepare for another cycle?
I have an acceptance so not another 100% WL-er but I don't think I would retake a 508. It is very lucrative to do EDP at your school, but I feel like retaking is kind of a risk.. I guess it depends how much time you have to study again for the MCAT and how you have improved your application already during this cycle. For instance, if you had weaker ECs before like 10 shadowing hours when you applied and now have 80, and had 50 volunteer hours in hospice and now have 300, I think that would make the difference to get you in next year and save you study time and $300 on the exam. You're in a really unique situation and should consider starting your own thread for recommendations.
I have been accepted off 1 WL and was ranked high 40s on another, so being on WL's varies greatly. You can be at the top of one and at the bottom of another. I've seen a motto on here similar to 'don't assume you'll get in off the WL' which is true since I know a program with 60 seats who waitlisted 150 people, and obviously only 10-20 of those will get in (so 90% of WL-er's at that school won't make the cutoff). Having a 10% odds of getting in at 4 programs increases your chance to get in, but it is still unfortunately not great from a statistical viewpoint. I hope you find some type of rank out from those programs soon! Best of luck.

Edit: Maybe retaking MCAT is your best bet if you can allot the proper study time. Taking the test for $300 and applying EDP will save you thousands of dollars if you get into the state school by EDP as compared to re-applying to 10-12 programs by doing regular admissions. Even with a good bump in EC's, you should reapply broadly for regular admission which will cost you. Look into how you fit with successful EDP applicants in areas besides MCAT score to double check it's as much of a sure thing as you said it was.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in need of some advice. I currently am sitting on 4 waitlists and am super stressed about it. My MCAT is a 508, and I will definitely be applying again next year if I don't get in off a waitlist.

Should I start studying for an MCAT retake? If I get at least a 509 on my retake, I can apply to an early decision program at my state school that would pretty much guarantee me an acceptance next year.

I guess I'm just not too sure how common it is for someone to get off a waitlist (or 4, for what it's worth). Maybe I'm just stressing & overthinking the whole thing. What are all of you waitlisters doing to potentially prepare for another cycle?
You’re likely to get off one of them, but I wouldn’t even think about retaking it unless you could get a 512+. I just can’t imagine it making a big enough difference otherwise

Retaking the MCAT is a tricky (and painful) option. I agree with the above post that if you score above a 512 then it will significantly improve your application. On the other hand, a 509 won't significantly improve your chances at schools other than the one you mentioned. Then there's always the worst case scenario in which you could get a sub 508 (which I think would have a greater negative effect than the positive effect from a 512). I would play it by ear and only sit for the test if you're confident in getting a 510+ after studying for a month.

Are there any other portions of your application that will have changed significantly? Like the above poster mentioned, increase in clinical exposure, volunteering, any other life changing experiences will give you something to write/talk about when schools ask "how has your application changed from when you last applied?"

In terms of waitlist odds, do you have stats on any of the schools? Have you already written letter of intents/interests to the schools? If you haven't already, I would do it for each school ASAP. Unfortunately, there's not much else you can do but try to sane. Best of luck and I'm hoping things work out for you!

Joining in on the fun here! Have an acceptance to a school I love so not 100% WL'ed, but on a WL for an IS one with much cheaper tuition. Setting June 1st as the day I drop off the waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
2 WEEKS TILL TRAFFIC DAY! Then all of our dreams will come true. Or they will not.

Reactions: 22 users
2 WEEKS TILL TRAFFIC DAY! Then all of our dreams will come true. Or they will not.
I hope so . It'll probably get worse before it gets better since we'll all have to intensify our neurotic portal checking even more

Reactions: 6 users
DO Acceptance with a couple MD Waitlist, one that I'm specifically praying the hardest for. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
2 IIs. 1 WL and 1 deferred (idk if thats good or not for that school). BUT at least Ill know my WL position soon after traffic day which is nice I guess.

Is there a lot of movement on May 1st, or is it usually scattered throughout may/june?

Most movement seems to happen from April 23ish - June 1. The first few days after the 30th will see a lot and around may 15, we'll see a lot to but it also depends on the school

iirc students who get a waitlist offer on traffic day have 2 weeks to decide, so that is probably the significance (my timeline might be off though)
I think it’s just 5 days, also not sure. But for the school to contact another person or for the WL-acceptee’s other(pre4/30) acceptance to fill the spot they’re leaving takes a few days I am guessing too.

Why may 15? Is that a significant day or something??

As someone else mentioned, one reason is that it takes a while to go through the list, especially in a non ranked list. Some schools also allow for extensions past traffic day (usually 2 weeks) so for some people, 'traffic day' is around mid may .

May 15th is when it gets a little harder to accept a waitlist if you're already accepted at another program.

From AMCAS traffic rules:

"After May 15, any school that plans to make an acceptance offer to an applicant already known to have been accepted to or granted a deferral by another school or program for that entering class ensure that the other school or program is advised of this offer at the time that an offer of acceptance, either written or verbal, has been communicated to an applicant. This notification should be made immediately by telephone and email by the close of business on the same day. The communication should contain the applicants name and AAMC ID number, the program being offered (MD only, joint program) and the date through which the offer is valid. Schools and programs should communicate fully with each other with respect to anticipated late roster changes in order to minimize inter-school miscommunication and misunderstanding, as well as the possibility of unintended vacant positions in a school's first-year entering class"

Reactions: 8 users
tfw you keep reminding yourself of your 8 waitlists/1A to cushion the blow of the endless end-of-cycle rejections that are pouring into your sad inbox

Well, officially on 5 waitlists with one more to hear back from. Praying for good news to follow traffic day!!

Anyone else having dreams that they have been accepted to a particular program? I want to take it as a premonition....but I know better.

Reactions: 10 users
I die on the inside a little more each and every day....when will this end

Reactions: 13 users
I die on the inside a little more each and every day....when will this end
Solid +1 right there. It’s the not knowing and thinking you’re not good enough that’s killing everyone you poured your heart and soul into that app of yours and it’s hard not to think that they fundamentally don’t like you and reject the person you are I get that and I experience it some times BUT I recommend going outside. Go camping. Go to the gym. Get off of SDN because it only feeds the neuroticism. I’m hoping we all hear good news. we need to have patience and hold off our gratification until any news comes. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Jumping on this thread. I had one interview at a top 20 school in late September (II ~2 weeks after application submission) and only silence and rejections since. Unfortunately, its a school that doesn't waitlist until early May and doesn't officially reject until early/mid-June with a "class is full" email. As the cycle comes to a close though, I've pretty much accepted that I will not be getting, even though I still have about 2 months I could still be accepted. I have good stats (LM 75) and a lot of good ECs, but there were definitely some problems with my application (essays, descriptions, timing of submission) since I had to rush my application a bit due to unforeseen circumstances. I've already made a lot of progress on another AMCAS application and have set plans in motion for a gap year that I am very excited about. Hoping I can somehow get in, as the school I'm waiting on would easily be one of, if not my top choice, next cycle. Nonetheless, just wanted to share my story and say that even though it's really tough, I'm sure it'll happen for me and hopefully all of you at some point. I'm viewing the potential time off as a time to recharge and explore my interests. I know this won't apply to everyone, but for those that had planned on matriculating right after undergrad like me, try to view the time off as a positive and a chance to gain experiences you otherwise would not have gotten. If you've made it this far and are passionate enough to be on a thread like this I'm sure the you have what it takes to be a good doctor. Good luck to everyone as traffic day approaches!

Solid +1 right there. It’s the not knowing and thinking you’re not good enough that’s killing everyone you poured your heart and soul into that app of yours and it’s hard not to think that they fundamentally don’t like you and reject the person you are I get that and I experience it some times BUT I recommend going outside. Go camping. Go to the gym. Get off of SDN because it only feeds the neuroticism. I’m hoping we all hear good news. we need to have patience and hold off our gratification until any news comes. Good luck everyone!
That was my plan - to stay active and clear my mind for the next few months - until I tore my Achilles’ tendon last week. Now I’m stuck indoors with the option of checking SDN every hour. So if anyone has any recommendations on shows or movies to watch, feel free to reply or PM me. I have access to Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, and Amazon Prime. Thanks in advance!

So I've officially been rejected by all the other schools I originally applied to (recently applied to Seton Hall, not expecting much) so now I basically just have 2 WLs to go on. I think the fear/panic is settling in now even worse then before. The next few weeks are gonna be torturous

Gonna type up a LOI to my deferred school and hope for the best (I enjoyed my experience at the school and the WL school deosnt take LOIs or updates)
So I've officially been rejected by all the other schools I originally applied to (recently applied to Seton Hall, not expecting much) so now I basically just have 2 WLs to go on. I think the fear/panic is settling in now even worse then before. The next few weeks are gonna be torturous
Are you setting up to reapply this cycle?

That was my plan - to stay active and clear my mind for the next few months - until I tore my Achilles’ tendon last week. Now I’m stuck indoors with the option of checking SDN every hour. So if anyone has any recommendations on shows or movies to watch, feel free to reply or PM me. I have access to Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, and Amazon Prime. Thanks in advance!
For Netflix:
-gilmore girls, atypical, call the midwife, girlfriends guide to divorce, drop dead diva, crazy ex girlfriend (half musical) and parenthood are feel goods but could get boring at times
-comedies: new girl, the office
-stuff like GoT: the last kingdom, Marco Polo, the Tudors, the borgias
-dramas: scandal, revenge, alias grace, mindhunter, better call saul, white collar, the OA
-fantasy: Lost girl, zoo
If you have any recommendations in return lmk!
(Edit: bold are my top picks)

I'm trying to write some LOIs and updates (for my four waitlists :() atm and have a silly question: What do I write in the subject line of the email? I feel like "Letter of interest" is a little too forward haha.

Atlanta is a pretty dope comedy on Hulu!
Santa Clarita Diet and Series of Unfortunate Events just came out with season 2 on Netflix if you’re looking for something new lol

Officially eight WLs now...this is brutal.

Reactions: 4 users
Gonna type up a LOI to my deferred school and hope for the best (I enjoyed my experience at the school and the WL school deosnt take LOIs or updates)

Are you setting up to reapply this cycle?
Ya, not sure how though. I'm trying to set a date for when I should officially begin focusing on reapplication but I'm too optimistic for my own good haha. I'm thinking June 1. Just trying to put it off as long as possible to avoid doing this all over again

Atlanta is a pretty dope comedy on Hulu!
Santa Clarita Diet and Series of Unfortunate Events just came out with season 2 on Netflix if you’re looking for something new lol
For Netflix:
-gilmore girls, atypical, call the midwife, girlfriends guide to divorce, drop dead diva, crazy ex girlfriend (half musical) and parenthood are feel goods but could get boring at times
-dramas: scandal, revenge, alias grace, mindhunter, better call saul, white collar, the OA

Thank you guys!! I need all the recommendations I can get, it's going to be a long couple months for me! I'll send out my recommendations once the pain meds wear off and I can think straight.

Dang that sucks, I feel your pain- a few years ago in the summer I tore both of my patellar tendons and watched the World Cup all day long for a few weeks. I never was really interested in soccer before that but its actually fun to watch. Lucky for you that was 4 years ago so the world cup is back again this summer!

Dang that sucks, I feel your pain- a few years ago in the summer I tore both of my patellar tendons and watched the World Cup all day long for a few weeks. I never was really interested in soccer before that but its actually fun to watch. Lucky for you that was 4 years ago so the world cup is back again this summer!
Ha, perfect! I'll make sure to tune in! Currently have the NHL playoffs to look forward to every night!

Thank you guys!! I need all the recommendations I can get, it's going to be a long couple months for me! I'll send out my recommendations once the pain meds wear off and I can think straight.
godless is also a really good one, especially if you're trying to binge, i just finished mad men, and community is my go-to when i don't know what else to watch!

For Netflix:

Ooooo good picks. For netflix I would add the Good Place. And if you have Hulu, I'd add Brooklyn 99. Some solid one liners.

Status
Not open for further replies.