Waitlist - What Happens?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alfie110

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

What happens when you're notified that you've been accepted off of the waitlist? ( either by e-mail, snail mail, or phone call)

-Do you have to accept/reject right away? (especially in the case of if they call you)
-Do they give you some time to think about if you want to accept or not?About how long are you given?
-If you accept right away, is there a deposit to pay like the regular acceptance students? Although you'd lose the deposit, could you choose another school if you are accepted off of the waitlist later on?

As I'm sitting on many waitlists, I just want to get a sense of how much time I'll have to decide where I want to go if I'm offered a spot off of more than one (I'm trying to remain positive!).

Any ideas? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

alfie110 said:
Hi Everyone,

What happens when you're notified that you've been accepted off of the waitlist? ( either by e-mail, snail mail, or phone call)

-Do you have to accept/reject right away? (especially in the case of if they call you)
-Do they give you some time to think about if you want to accept or not?About how long are you given?
-If you accept right away, is there a deposit to pay like the regular acceptance students? Although you'd lose the deposit, could you choose another school if you are accepted off of the waitlist later on?

As I'm sitting on many waitlists, I just want to get a sense of how much time I'll have to decide where I want to go if I'm offered a spot off of more than one (I'm trying to remain positive!).

Any ideas? Thanks :)

I think that the waitlist conditions vary for each school. For some schools, you have 48 hours to decide if they call you. You wouldn't even have time to see the financial aid package. You really need to know if you want to go there no matter what the terms are. As of May 15, you can only hold 1 spot, but you can keep all your waitlists. If you get pulled off the waitlist after May 15, you can't get back your desposit to the school that originally accepted you. The best thing is to call the schools to ask for their policy. Best of luck!