Waitlisted everywhere - Why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sophie

Lead Foot
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out I've been waitlisted at Albert Einstein, which now brings me to a total of 3 waitlists, 1 hold, and 1 pending (I'm still waiting on BU). I've been trying to analyze my application to figure out my weak points, so that if I do end up not being accepted anywhere I'll know what to work on for the next round of applications, and I'd really appreciate feedback.

Me, briefly (for more details see my mdapps profile):

25 years old, Caucasian, from CA
3.64 GPA, 3.65 BCPM
34Q MCAT

- Have been working full-time since August for the gov't doing clinical research
- 4 years research experience (This includes 3 different projects, 2 of which involved leadership/supervision of other research assistants. 1 poster, 1 2nd author publication.)
- Ran a small company for 1 year (Had 2 full-time employees and 40+ independent contractors)
- 2 years as a part-time bookkeeper while attending school full-time
- Shadowed a doctor for 1.5 years, roughly 3 hrs every 2 weeks
- Volunteered at a hospital for half a year (roughly 50 hours)
- Literacy tutor (6 months, 1hr/wk)
- Teacher (6 months, 2hrs/wk, for refugee kids)
- Coach of a children's OM team (1 season, roughly 8hrs/wk)

I did a postbacc for 1 year at UCSD because I needed to take almost all of my science pre-reqs (I decided after graduating that I was interested in medicine). At my postbacc I took all of my O Chem, Physics, Bio, and some Chem, and Biochem, in one tough year, while working 20hrs/wk, shadowing, doing research, and volunteering.

I think my interviews were decent. One went amazing (I thought), and one was dismal, and I'm waitlisted at both of those schools. The rest were fine - not bad, not phenomenal.

I did only fill out secondaries for 14 schools, and they're all top schools, so I know that's something that has to change for next time around. However, I still find it odd that 6 out of 14 would give me interviews, and (possibly) all would decide to waitlist me.

Any comments, criticism, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry my post is so long, but if you made it this far you're done! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get waitlisted at Einstein or were u put into that favorable review category?

Did you apply late in the cycle? Also - there is still a lot of time left for movement on waitlists - don't get down yet, it isn't even May!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got this from my school:

The most common reasons why some individuals fail to gain admission to medical school are:

1. too many applications from other competitive applicants
2. poor academic record (GPA, especially science GPA; MCAT or both)
3. insufficient clinical exposure and inadequate demonstration of a sustained interest in medicine
4. unconvincing performance at the interview
5. incomplete, late or sloppy application (non-compelling personal statement, generic letters of reference, scarce extra curricular activities, late application submission, etc.)

You sound great on paper (seriously, you have some cool non-academic experiences!), so I'm thinking there are 3 potential problems: interviews, your PS (and secondary essays), and LORs. For the PS and interviews, you don't really know how you were perceived by the schools, so it would help to have some objective feedback (did you have a prof read your PS? Did you do a mock interview? etc). As for LORs, how positive are you that they are all strong? Since you did successfully get a lot of interviews, it's possible that your not great, but not bad interviews weren't enough to make you stand out. You did have quite a few super-competitive schools on your list, but honestly, I'm surprised you don't have an acceptance yet. If I were you, I'd probably send an update letter/letter of interest to all schools where you're waitlisted, and a letter of intent to your first choice.

Anyway, that's just my non-expert opinion. Best of luck getting off those waitlists!

Honestly, if every place you interviewed at waitlisted you, I think that suggests that your interviewing skills are possibly not as good as you perceive them to be. It's certainly a red flag that it's an area on which you might want to focus your efforts.

I don't know what your PS was like, or your LORs, but those are potential areas to look at as well.

As you said, you did apply to a lot of highly ranked schools, so that may be part of the issue, though 6/14 interview offers isn't bad. Also, I'm curious about why you withdrew from Dartmouth?

Anyway, I know this is no comfort, but this process really is a crapshoot. Hopefully, you'll be the beneficiary of some good waitlist movement.

Good luck! :luck:

Hi Sophie-

congrats on your interviews, and sorry for your waitlists. don't count yourself out just yet, waitlist season hasn't even begun.

in any case, to answer your question... your application is obviously gaining you interviews, the thing you may want to sit down and evaluate is your interviewing style. have you had anyone give you a mock interview? if you haven't, that's what i would suggest. your perception of how your interview went might be completely different from the person who interviewed you. i know i thought i interviewed well until i went to have a mock interview. they told me i was ok and gave me a bunch of great pointers as to my mannerisms, etc. i know for a fact this helped me when it came to my real interviews (well the ones i wasn't super nervous for). anyway, that's my suggestion. if you don't have a career office that will interview you, ask your advisor or a friend that will interview you (critically). if you're brave enough videotape it and watch it afterwards. you'll hate every minute of watching yourself, but you'll get a feel for exactly how you come off.

good luck with the rest of this cycle, hopefully you won't need to deal with all of this again!

MollyMalone said:
Honestly, if every place you interviewed at waitlisted you, I think that suggests that your interviewing skills are possibly not as good as you perceive them to be. It's certainly a red flag that it's an area on which you might want to focus your efforts.

I don't think this is always a fair assessment. There are schools that interview over 1000 candidates -- you really think everyone they waitlist/reject has poor interview skills?

Sophie said:
I just found out I've been waitlisted at Albert Einstein, which now brings me to a total of 3 waitlists, 1 hold, and 1 pending (I'm still waiting on BU). I've been trying to analyze my application to figure out my weak points, so that if I do end up not being accepted anywhere I'll know what to work on for the next round of applications, and I'd really appreciate feedback.

3.64 GPA, 3.65 BCPM
34Q MCAT

- Have been working full-time since August for the gov't doing clinical research
- 4 years research experience (This includes 3 different projects, 2 of which involved leadership/supervision of other research assistants. 1 poster, 1 2nd author publication.)
- Ran a small company for 1 year (Had 2 full-time employees and 40+ independent contractors)

I did a postbacc for 1 year at UCSD because I needed to take almost all of my science pre-reqs (I decided after graduating that I was interested in medicine). At my postbacc I took all of my O Chem, Physics, Bio, and some Chem, and Biochem, in one tough year, while working 20hrs/wk, shadowing, doing research, and volunteering.

I think my interviews were decent. One went amazing (I thought), and one was dismal, and I'm waitlisted at both of those schools. The rest were fine - not bad, not phenomenal.

I did only fill out secondaries for 14 schools, and they're all top schools, so I know that's something that has to change for next time around. However, I still find it odd that 6 out of 14 would give me interviews, and (possibly) all would decide to waitlist me.

Any comments, criticism, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry my post is so long, but if you made it this far you're done! :)

mmm, you seem to have a very well-rounded application and did everything relatively early. was it your PS? or your secondaries that may have been the problem? i know for sure that i wrote a couple really crappy secondaries (my first ones) to columbia and u of chicago and i got rejected post sec.

good luck, i hope you hear good news from boston!

ND2005 said:
I don't think this is always a fair assessment. There are schools that interview over 1000 candidates -- you really think everyone they waitlist/reject has poor interview skills?

Of course not. But when you get waitlisted at every place you interview at, that changes the picture a little. The OP asked for feedback about what areas she should improve, and I gave my opinion.

happydays said:

The most common reasons why some individuals fail to gain admission to medical school are:

3. insufficient clinical exposure and inadequate demonstration of a sustained interest in medicine
5. incomplete, late or sloppy application (non-compelling personal statement, generic letters of reference, scarce extra curricular activities, late application submission, etc.)

I strongly believe that 1,2,3, and 5 are reasons to not get interviews. I am for number four (althought not necessarily for you Sophie) being the thing that can kill/waitlist your app. They already determined that everything about your app was cool/great before interviewing you. You really have to go in there being knowledgable about medicine, explain your interests/experiences well, enthusiastic as f#ck (genuinely interested) about their specific school and medicine, and a generally interesting person. Half of the interview is determining whether you understand the profession and what your getting into. The other half is convincing them that the school is for you.

MollyMalone said:
Of course not. But when you get waitlisted at every place you interview at, that changes the picture a little. The OP asked for feedback about what areas she should improve, and I gave my opinion.
I agree with you Molly - if the application got your foot in the door, the interview is what you do once your foot is there. If EVERY place that you interview quickly waitlists you, it suggests (although does not prove) that there is an opportunity to improve on what you are saying in the interview.

Try doing some mock interviews with brutally honest friends. Videotape them, and then watch yourself. Are you coming across as "fake" (biggest problem). Are your answers intelligent and well thought out? Are you demonstrating the necessary maturity? Are you boring? Are you too interesting / controversial? Are you wearing the wrong outfit? Did you send a thank you card? (yeah - not a BIG deal, but still a nice touch).

Depends on when you submitted your AMCAS. If you have everything else going for you, the only thing could be the time of submission, because the later you submit your applications, the more people you compete with for the remaining slots. But keep in mind that you were not rejected outright, there is still hope. I am in a similar situation, though I am not waitlisted EVERYWHERE.

My August scores held me back a few weeks, but I did several mock interviews with my premed advisor and other supervisors. They thought my "interview" was awesome; I felt prepared.

One of my coworkers applied for 2005 and was waitlisted everywhere. She had great interviews, but she had to reapply simply because everything was late. She applied early decision to her first choice the second time, and she was accepted.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your application; I know nothing about your interviews; but I wish you the best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! Thanks for all of the replies. I didn't expect this many so quickly.

Rafael: The woman on the phone said I was waitlisted, so I haven't seen the letter yet, but that sounds like I was not put in the favorable review category.

Flopotomist: Thanks for the encouragement. I know it's still early, but with a pattern like this you can't help but feel that something is amiss. I was complete at most of my schools in October - it would've been much earlier, but I was waiting on LORs.

happydays: Thanks for the tips. Those are all useful, and unfortunately several probably apply to me.

Thundrstorm: My PS was read by roughly 15 colleagues/acquaintances and an English professor, and went through many many drafts, so I don't think it was too shabby. The secondaries could be a problem, because I did whip them out quickly, and didn't have anyone read them over. This is one area I could definitely improve a little in, however, writing is one of my strengths, so I'm sure they weren't bad.

I did not do a mock interview with anyone, and am seriously regretting that now. My perception of my interview skills comes from feedback I've received from job interviews, but I guess med school interviews are quite different. As for LORs, I saw 2 before they were sent and they were very strong, 1 was from someone I trust and he told me it was great, 1 was from a former research P.I. but I'm not sure about the quality (I think it was good, but she's busy so she might have used a form letter), and 1 was from a prof I didn't even know (to fulfill science req. I know this is bad, but I was desperate after the one science prof I was counting on for a LOR dissapeared).

I will definitely be sending update letters, letters of interest, and one letter of intent. I'm going to be aggressive about the waitlists, and hopefully that'll make up for whatever was lacking.

Molly: My interviewing ability was my first thought, too. I'm seriously kicking myself for not having done a mock interview.

Regarding Dartmouth, I like the school, but I hated Hanover and could not see myself living there. I'm very much a city person. Also, I'm engaged, and my fiance needs to be in a city for his profession, so if I did attend Dartmouth we'd have to live apart.

I'm going to respond to everyone (and thank you so much for your replies!), but I have to get a report to my boss by 1pm. :oops: I'll be back afterwards.

It's possible that your background put you in the bottom half of all your interview pools, but I don't think that was the problem, considering you have pretty good numbers and ECs. May have been the interview.

As we've all probably come to realize, numbers and ECs matter long after the interview--you can nail the interview and still get stuck on the waitlist if you were the weakest applicant to get an interview, although this probably depends on the school. But like I said, I don't think that's true in your case.

Really though, no worries! If you end up with six waitlists, you're probably in good shape, even if they all only move a moderate amount.

I find it highly unlikely that with 6 waitlists you won't get in anywhere.

However, should you have to apply, my advice to you is this:

1.) Have all your secondaries checked by your family members before you send them.

2.) Apply early, of course.

3.) Retake the MCAT if you think you can boost it to the 38+ range.

4.) Get a clinical job (not just shadowing), like clinical research coordinator, or something like that.

These things can only boost an already robust application whose numbers are good but are not outstanding.

Otherwise, it sounds like interviews were the biggest problem. Were you too stressed? The first time I applied, I was so stressed that I was shaking, fidgeting, flushed, etc. You need to assume a relaxed approach and with confidence 'present your case.'

You applied to too many highly competative schools, period. Good luck.

October application is a big hurdle to overcome. Remember, when you apply that late, a good number of the class spots are already filled. I was holding my first ACCEPTANCE in November - and my numbers are not as good as yours. By the time you got to the interview stage, there were so few slots left, that they often waitlist everybody but the amazing superheroes. I still want to say that it is too early to panic. Many people are holding multiple acceptances, and will let some go as the cycle progresses (look for major movement after May 15th when each applicant can only hold one acceptance).

mercaptovizadeh said:
3.) Retake the MCAT if you think you can boost it to the 38+ range.

NO - To the OP: DO NOT RETAKE AN MCAT WHEN YOU GOT A 34! EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU COULD DO BETTER. This is not why you didn't get accepted. If the stats were high enough to get you into a lot of interviews, then they were plenty high. You got in the door, now you need to learn how to improve the interview to stay there. (Assuming none of the waitlists come through for you, which is still a possibility). My suggestions are to practice interviewing in front of anyone you can find who is willing. Have a list of good questions to ask. Be enthusiastic. Sell yourself. And don't assume you can tell a good interview from a bad one -- most applicants can't.
If you end up a reapplicant, you also want to apply more broadly, and have a few lower ranked schools on your list. Your stats are good, but certainly not pushing to top of the envelope for the top schools. Good luck.

ditto everything Law2Doc said... in fact, I think I am just going to run around the forums saying "ditto to Law2Doc" He always says what I am thinking but in a much more reasoned, logical, well thought out kinda way. Law2Doc for President.

Hey Sophie, I don't have much to add, however I also did a postbac program at UCSD. When did you do yours, I just finished mine last year and am applying to school now as well. I wondner if we know each other?

LT2: Videotaping myself interviewing won't be fun, but that sounds like a great idea. I'll have to ask my school if they'll give me a mock interview even though I graduated years ago.

kirexhana: It might've been my secondaries. If I do do this all over again this coming year I'll pay a lot more attention to those.

Elastase: Crap. I don't think I was persuasive during my interviews at all. I'm nice, but I'm no salesperson.

etudiante: Yeah, I didn't realize how much of an impact applying late can have. I'll have everything in as early as possible next time.

mercapto: #1 & #2 I will definitely do. I think my MCAT score is actually one of the most solid parts of my application, so I'm going to leave that alone. #4 I'm doing right now - I'm a clinical researcher dealing with patients much of the day. In my interviews I was nervous, but not cripplingly so.

Not all applicants with great GPA and MCAT, gret interviewing skills, great ECs and LORs and great everything else you can think of will get admitted. I know it is deep... :laugh:

OP, you are, I suspect "average" at the schools where you applied. You were, I'm guessing, "average" in the interviews (about 80% of the interviewees are "average" -- it's not a slam).

The schools start out chasing the "above average" who have excellent interviews. Of course, those applicants have multiple offers and must decline many of them. Then the schools go to the waitlist for the people who are "average" for the school. You can hardly blame the school for not making an offer to the 4.0/39/Mr. Personality who makes an applicantion and shows up for an interview (on what basis would he be denied, that he seemed to smart, too nice, for Average College of Medicine??) And Average College of Medicine isn't at all surprised when Mr. Perfect decides to matriculate at UCSF or HMS.

Had you applied more broadly, and applied to schools where you might have been "above average" you might have had an offer by now as well as the waitlists.

Don't lose heart. As another poster mentioned, it isn't even waitlist season yet.

If you'd had your app in by July you'd be accepted by now. But with 6 waitlists and your excellent stats I would be extremely surprised if you don't have an acceptance by May! :) If you have to reapply just work on your personal statement and your interviewing skills. Do not in a million years retake the MCAT.

Good luck

LizzyM said:
OP, you are, I suspect "average" at the schools where you applied. You were, I'm guessing, "average" in the interviews (about 80% of the interviewees are "average" -- it's not a slam).

The schools start out chasing the "above average" who have excellent interviews. Of course, those applicants have multiple offers and must decline many of them. Then the schools go to the waitlist for the people who are "average" for the school. You can hardly blame the school for not making an offer to the 4.0/39/Mr. Personality who makes an applicantion and shows up for an interview (on what basis would he be denied, that he seemed to smart, too nice, for Average College of Medicine??) And Average College of Medicine isn't at all surprised when Mr. Perfect decides to matriculate at UCSF or HMS.

Had you applied more broadly, and applied to schools where you might have been "above average" you might have had an offer by now as well as the waitlists.

Don't lose heart. As another poster mentioned, it isn't even waitlist season yet.

Hi LizzM.

You may have addressed this on another thread. But would you be able to describe how a non-ranked waitlist works? Is everyone on the waitlist on "equal footing" before waitlist season starts? Also, do schools often accept double the class size right off the bat and then only move to the waitlist once over half drop their aceptances?

Thanks for any help...

medhacker said:
Not all applicants with great GPA and MCAT, gret interviewing skills, great ECs and LORs and great everything else you can think of will get admitted. I know it is deep... :laugh:
Unfortunately, I don't think it's as simple as "you're great on paper, but not AS great in person." Frankly, I've heard a variety of things about how much interviews really matter. More than that, I've also heard that a lot of schools will waitlist candidates that they perceive to be OVER-qualified. Perhaps a lot of these schools think that with your record, you would choose to go elsewhere. have you written letters of intent?

i have a good feeling you'll move off one of those waitlists (knock on wood). just make sure you write a letter of intent to whichever would be your first choice and make sure the other schools don't forget you. i'm with everyone else on it probably being the interview though.

allisonbk said:
Hi LizzM.

You may have addressed this on another thread. But would you be able to describe how a non-ranked waitlist works? Is everyone on the waitlist on "equal footing" before waitlist season starts? Also, do schools often accept double the class size right off the bat and then only move to the waitlist once over half drop their aceptances?

Thanks for any help...

As I understand it (and I don't have anything to do with this portion of admissions), everyone is equal and the person most likely to get the call is the person who seems most ready to come. That means a letter of interest now and a follow-up every time you have some thing new to report. Let the office hear from you so that there is no doubt that you are interested and you will come if you get the call. And hey, if you get into your dream school, let the other places where you are waitlisted know that you are no longer interested. It could be annoying if after filing away your 20 cards & letters, when you are called you say, "sorry, I got off the waitlist at Harvard & I'm going there".

LizzyM said:
As I understand it (and I don't have anything to do with this portion of admissions), everyone is equal and the person most likely to get the call is the person who seems most ready to come. That means a letter of interest now and a follow-up every time you have some thing new to report. Let the office hear from you so that there is no doubt that you are interested and you will come if you get the call. And hey, if you get into your dream school, let the other places where you are waitlisted know that you are no longer interested. It could be annoying if after filing away your 20 cards & letters, when you are called you say, "sorry, I got off the waitlist at Harvard & I'm going there".

Thanks! If this is true, this is great news :)

Thundrstorm said:
You sound great on paper (seriously, you have some cool non-academic experiences!), so I'm thinking there are 3 potential problems: interviews, your PS (and secondary essays), and LORs. For the PS and interviews, you don't really know how you were perceived by the schools, so it would help to have some objective feedback (did you have a prof read your PS? Did you do a mock interview? etc). As for LORs, how positive are you that they are all strong? Since you did successfully get a lot of interviews, it's possible that your not great, but not bad interviews weren't enough to make you stand out. You did have quite a few super-competitive schools on your list, but honestly, I'm surprised you don't have an acceptance yet. If I were you, I'd probably send an update letter/letter of interest to all schools where you're waitlisted, and a letter of intent to your first choice.

Anyway, that's just my non-expert opinion. Best of luck getting off those waitlists!

I agree. Waitlists will have LOR's and PS big ones. As well as the interviews.

Any LOR's you can update these schools with to show your avid interest?

After reading all this, I think your interview/waitlist ratio is more a function of the schools competititiveness compared with your application than a function of your interviewing. Here is why I say this:
I am a similar applicant with a 33 MCAT and 3.5ish GPA (can't remember exactly what, how is that for over it?)
When I applied to the top US News schools, I found that I was rejected pre-interview to 5, and interviewed at 4 with one acceptance, two waitlists and one not heard yet.
When I applied to the next ten schools, I found I was rejected pre-interview to 3, interviewed at 4 with 3 acceptances and one waitlist. I didn't interview better or differently, but I think I was a borderline interviewee at the top schools and a stronger interviewee at the second ten schools and so my acceptance /waitlist ratio improved in that group.
I agree that you should get into at least one if not several of your waitlist schools, but if you don't (which I doubt) just apply EARLY EARLY EARLY and more broadly and you will be very successful next year.
But please post when you get in this cycle, I have confidence that you will.
Wishing you the best of luck (because you clearly have everything else that it takes, otherwise you would not be waitlisted at so many schools - it means they want you but don't have enough room...yet)!

Hi- You are not alone, I have 5 waitlists so far (I recevied 11 interviews, heard back from 5, and have yet to go on 3)-- A few of my interviews have been really great and I was still waitlisted, so I don't know exactly why I keep getting waitlisted, but I do think that I am probably not one of the top applicants to interview at most of the schools I have interviewed, especially because I was pretty surprised to get some of them. I think I have a really good personal statement and a few really great LORs, which is probably why I'm getting the interviews, but my MCAT isn't the strongest. So... I'm not sure what it is for you either, but I really hope the month pf May turns things around for you:) Good luck! :luck: :luck: :luck:

waitlisted at columbia, duke and MSSM...

Sophie said:

3.64 GPA, 3.65 BCPM
34Q MCAT

you'll get accepted soon...just hang in there!
:) :) :)

happydays said:

I would like to add "too long out of the classroom" to that list.

Sophie said:

3.64 GPA, 3.65 BCPM
34Q MCAT

Hi! My application is almost identical to yours and I am on a lot of waitlists, too. Female, caucasian, CA same gpa little higher mcat, post bacc, clinical research since august. I so feel your pain. This process is really crappy. About interview skills, I got one waitlist letter telling me I was a"very strong candidate" and that both my interviewers gave me "strong recommendations" so obviously I was not waitlisted because of the interview. I think there is something else going on. Maybe there are too many applicants like us? That is what I keep telling myself. My ec's are great, leadership, clinical and non clinical research, lots of patient interaction, needle exchange, HIV and sex worker outreach, clinic volunteer,shadowing, psych ward employee, leadership, good letters of rec. etc etc This process is so frustrating! Best of luck to you!!!!! I also applied to top schools, got a bunch of interviews, and thank goodness, an acceptance from a school I want to go to. Hang in there! You will get in somewhere. Seriously this site is harsh seeing people with multiple acceptances. To put it in perspective, I have 2 friends who applied this cycle and got none/ only one interview. SDN is really skewed. Really, I feel your pain and hope for the best for you.

MissMD'10 said:
I got one waitlist letter telling me I was a"very strong candidate" and that both my interviewers gave me "strong recommendations" so obviously I was not waitlisted because of the interview. .

Was that the waitlist letter from USC? Because that is what mine said

JohnyWalker said:
Was that the waitlist letter from USC? Because that is what mine said

Uh, yeah, it was, but unless the people who interviewed me LIED to me, I know they wrote really good things about me. They both said they hoped I got in and wanted to see me in the fall, and the doc said, I like you so much, I am going to write all good things about you and nothing bad. So the interview at USC obviously doesnt mean s--t or I would have gotten in. One of my other interviews was similar and I got waitlisted. At the end the doc shook my hand and said you are going to make an amazing doctor, and then, waitlist. The interview does not mean that much. It is up to the admissions commitee and they look at your whole file. I think I am getting waitlisted b/c of my undergrad grades. who knows? Even when the interviewers love you you can still get waitlisted. The OP is probably just having bad luck.

i'm in the same boat as you...waitlisted at all the places i interviewed at. my premed advisor told me that this year was an especially deep pool of applicants. some schools had 10,000+ applications to sift through. hopefully, that makes you feel a bit better....although it doesn't take away from the complete suckiness of not being accepted...

Flopotomist: It's actually really nice to hear that being complete in October could be a significant factor as to why I haven't been accepted, since that's something I can easily change next time around.

Law2Doc: I completely agree. My MCAT score is one thing I'm not worried about. And if I do end up reapplying I will definitely expand my school list, and practice interviewing A LOT.

Johny: I was at UCSD from June 2003 to August 2004. It sounds like I was there a year before you, although it's possible we overlapped on a class or two.

medhacker: I'm sure luck does have a lot to do with it, but unfortunately that's not something I can change. :p

LizzyM: Average or below average. I was very surprised to receive interview invitations to two of the schools I interviewed at. I would have been less confused if I'd only received 1 or 2 interview invitations - then I would chalk it up to not being competitive enough at those schools, and know what I had to change. That does make sense, of course, that they'd choose the most competitive interviewees first, and waitlist the less competitive. I'm enough of an optimist that I won't lose heart until at least June.

skypilot: Thank you. :)

tiffany: I really appreciate your comments, although I don't think that my record is superb enough to make schools believe I'll ditch them for better schools should they accept me. I will be writing several letters of interest, and one letter of intent, in the near future, so possibly that will help.

badlydrawnvik: I will, and thanks. I hope your good feeling is actually an omen.

mshheaddoc: I'm planning to ask one of the nurses I work with for a letter soon. Unfortunately it's a little complicated, since she has a lot of health issues and is not feeling well at the moment.

CaliPlease: Thanks for the encouragement. Your theory makes sense, and (if necessary) next time I'll apply much more broadly.

BrettBachelor: Mostly due to money, which I'm extremely short on, and also due to a lack of time to fill out extra secondaries. For a few of the schools I just felt that my chances of being accepted were so low that it was not worth the effort (and money). I really should have weeded these schools out before submitting the primary application, but at that point I was avoiding thinking about money.

butmylipshurt and kasha: Good luck to you both! :luck:

Passion: Thanks. :)

adcomm: Do you think that is affecting my application as well? I was under the assumption that it's not an issue unless you've been out of school for many years, and I've only been out for 1 year and 8 months, but if that's a possible negative I'm open to taking more classes.

MissMD: Congratulations on your acceptance, and thanks for your comments. You sound like a great applicant. Interestingly, USC was what I considered my best interview. It went near perfectly, as well as I'm able to judge, and I was SURE I was going to get in. It's too bad they don't seem to weigh the interview very highly.

el1984: Good luck. Hopefully we'll both have good news to report in May.

Sophie, I feel for you. Don't let the process get you down. I'm in a similar boat as you. Thought I had a great app (40+ MCAT - I'm paranoid of being identified if I give the exact number away - 3.65+ GPA, 3.75+ science GPA, great LOR's, PS, etc., though not incredible extracurricular). So I applied to 12 top name schools and 1 safety. I ended up with 5 interviews: 1 post-interview rejection, 1 waitlist, 1 "favorably reviewed" waitlist, 1 acceptance (Downstate - my safety), and 1 pending. NYU is my top-choice and that's where I'm waitlisted. I felt that all my interviews went fine, except for the one from where I got rejected. The NYU interview I thought went great (we went to the same college). But I chalk it up to the incredible competition at these top schools. You're shooting for the top, so it won't be easy. But you should be proud of your waitlists, and be aggressive in getting your name off the list for an acceptance. Best of luck!

Hey, for what it's worth, I wouldn't put all the blame on your interviewing (and not that much yourself either for that matter). I was rejected post interview somewhere (a reach), only to have the interviewer call me afterwards, tell me what a great interview he thought it was, hoping that we could keep in touch professionally and let him know how things were going in my medical education.
It seemed to me like if they were going to reject me on the basis of what's on my application, they could have done that before I flew across the country, and if they were going to reject me on the basis of my interview, well, what the hell?

I think sometimes some people just have some bad luck. Here's to hoping it improves for you.

unfrozencaveman said:
I was rejected post interview somewhere (a reach), only to have the interviewer call me afterwards, tell me what a great interview he thought it was, hoping that we could keep in touch professionally and let him know how things were going in my medical education.

Are you sure it wasn't a pick up line?

LizzyM said:

I feel this happened to me as well, so don't feel bad. I'm lucky to have a few acceptances, but I have more waitlists. My interviews all went pretty well in my opinion and I even received positive feedback in some cases, but most were nothing spectacular and probably didn't compensate for the fact that although my GPA is above average and I have what is probably the average extracurriculars, my MCAT is 2-3 points below the average of most of the schools I applied to. I was led to believe that if you made it to the interview, you were on equal footing as the other applicants, which I now know is totally not the case. The rest of your application is probably still more important...most of my interviewers weren't even on the admissions committees...in fact, I don't think any were. They just fill out a form or write a paragraph about you and send it on its way, sadly.