Waitlistitis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

izzyfine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,
In tribute to the approaching May 15th deadline I thought it would be beneficial to take a moment and check for the warning signs of waitlistitis. This syndrome affects hundreds of people a year and is currently without a vaccine.

The following questionaire may be used for self-diagnoses:

1. Have you let your dream school know that they are your top choice...daily?
2. Have you let your friends and family know which school is your top choice?3. Have you told random strangers on the street which school is your top choice?
4. Do you try not to offend anyone fearing that they might somehow have some pull with the adcoms?
5. Have you been reminded by family and friends that mail only comes once a day?
6. Have you been reminded by mailmen that mail only comes once a day?
7. Have you picked a fight with your significant other for no apparent reason?
8. Have you read or reread all of your rejection letters checking for any loopholes?
9. Have you been flipping through your Kaplan MCAT review books just to be "on the safe side."
10. Do you ritualistically m@*terb@te to US News and World report?
11. Do you check your email every hour on the hour?
12. If accepted do you promise to light a candle in remembrance for all of your fallen premed brothers that "didn't make it"?
13. Have you sent all of your thank you letters certified mail return receipt requested?
14. Do you have dreams with consistent themes of judgement and imbending doom?
15. Have you checked with your old H.S. Bio teacher to make sure that "there is nothing else they can do."
16. Have you checked with your old H.S. custodian to make sure that "there is nothing else they can do"?
17. Have you watched the Matrix only to discover that in fact Neo's journey is in many ways analogous to your experience with med. school admissions?
18. Do you call up your dream school from a pay phone, hang up, and then scream into the dial tone "please take me"? :scared:

Well if you have answered yes to any 2 of the above questions then you indeed do have waitlistitis. The prognosis is poor with worsening symptoms over the next 13 days or so, after which point you will either be (eventually) accepted, rejected, or spontaneously explode. :)

Members don't see this ad.

you need to add some more...

19. do you send flowers and candy to the admission's staff in hopes they remember you?

20. do you get online and try to put down your top school so other people will drop their acceptance/waitlist spot?

21. do you KNOW the phone number or address of your top school by memory?

treatment options: sleep from now until may 15th, if you wake up, go back to sleep. :oops:

AlexOt3 said:
you need to add some more...

19. do you send flowers and candy to the admission's staff in hopes they remember you?

20. do you get online and try to put down your top school so other people will drop their acceptance/waitlist spot?

21. do you KNOW the phone number or address of your top school by memory?

treatment options: sleep from now until may 15th, if you wake up, go back to sleep. :oops:

Is there a pill for this? Where do I get one?

Maybe I should just take Paxil :scared: :scared: :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting for waitlists is teh sux. The worst part about it is that the vast majority of waitlistees eventually see no action. So depressing. Toss me a Paxil, dockev.

TheFlash said:
Waiting for waitlists is teh sux. The worst part about it is that the vast majority of waitlistees eventually see no action. So depressing. Toss me a Paxil, dockev.

Paxil for everyone! :idea:

TheFlash said:

wow, do you really think the VAST majority see no action? that's kinda depressing.

TheFlash said:

I don't have any statistics, but I suspect that more than half of those on waitlists now see action. This includes people who area already hoolding at least one acceptance and not waiting for their first.

I'll think of an example from my own situation to illustrate how one person's decision moves several people. If I give up an emory spot to choose MCG instead in a few days, someone already in at MCG but waitlisted at Emory might take the emory acceptance. But now that they gave up MCG, someone currently waitlisted at MCG but accepted at Mercer might move into the MCG slot, leaving a spot open for someone currently waitlisted at Mercer. So out of all of this shuffling, four different waitlistees did see action, but only new spot was opened up. I think that's pretty typical.

TheFlash said:

If you are really anxious about the waitlist movement that may nor may not occur in a few weeks, paxi/effexor/prozac will be next to useless for that. Try the best you can to pin your most anxious moments down to a 6-7 day period, and then load up on xanax or klonopin(if you can get them) for that time period. Then stop taking them

I'm just kidding about the Paxil (I hope you are too, Eraserhead)... and as far as the vast majority seeing no action-- I'm just talking about for a particular school's waitlist. For example, School X might have a list of 500 and only take 20 off of it. I'm sure if you're sitting on 5+ waitlists, your chances are actually quite good to get into at least one school from the lot.

Good luck everyone! :horns:

TheFlash said:
I'm just kidding about the Paxil (I hope you are too, Eraserhead)... and as far as the vast majority seeing no action-- I'm just talking about for a particular school's waitlist. For example, School X might have a list of 500 and only take 20 off of it. I'm sure if you're sitting on 5+ waitlists, your chances are actually quite good to get into at least one school from the lot.

Good luck everyone! :horns:

I was just kidding. meanderson brings up a good point though for those actually considering medicating themselves.

izzyfine said:
7. Have you picked a fight with your significant other for no apparent reason?

I don't know about this one... but wouldn't most women be halfway on their way to waitlistitis right off the bat...?

*note to all feminists and/or men-bashers: I love my girlfriend very much! But hey, it happens... and sometimes very frequently.... =P

here's another one: (btw, it's freaky how many of those already listed that i do....yes, i know the address of the school i'm waitlisted at by heart...that one scared me...)

22. You check SDN 6+ times a day, just to see if there are any "waitlist updates"....

camstah said:
here's another one: (btw, it's freaky how many of those already listed that i do....yes, i know the address of the school i'm waitlisted at by heart...that one scared me...)

22. You check SDN 6+ times a day, just to see if there are any "waitlist updates"....

LOL, if I could limit myself to 6 checks a day, they might release me from the psych ward!