Waitlists for Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echostation

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone phoned any of the schools like A&M or Tech or UT Houston or anyone else about waitlists...any updates?

Members don't see this ad.

I called TAMU today. They still have not ranked it. They now say call after May 1st. Last year no one was accepted off the waitlist :eek: :(

you won't be hearing from school regarding waitlists until mid-May (more than likely).

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess IF I get in off the alternate list at TAMU, I should play the lottery! :p

hello,

i applied to texas medical schools last year. that TAMU did not accept anyone off their waistlist last year cannot be true. i gave up my TAMU acceptance sometime in may of 2003, and an SDNer posted a few days later reporting that he/she had just been accepted off the TAMU waitlist. i presume that it was the spot that i gave up, and was very pleased for him/her!

good luck to everyone! i hope that all of you recieve what you hope for! if you have any questions, please let me know.

askoogi

my question is: when a tx resident gives up their spot, why would they do it? does that mean they are going out of state? where did you end up going? anyone know how many people at tamu made it last year?

[
QUOTE=askoogi]hello,

i applied to texas medical schools last year. that TAMU did not accept anyone off their waistlist last year cannot be true. i gave up my TAMU acceptance sometime in may of 2003, and an SDNer posted a few days later reporting that he/she had just been accepted off the TAMU waitlist. i presume that it was the spot that i gave up, and was very pleased for him/her!

good luck to everyone! i hope that all of you recieve what you hope for! if you have any questions, please let me know.

askoogi[/QUOTE]

Most likely it means the applicant is going out of state. Also, if the applicant got into a school below their first choice, acceptance to their first choice (due to waitlist movement) might encourage that applicant to withdraw from their current school. Remember, with the Texas match, you are automatically withdrawn from the choices below the school where you matched, but your application remains with the school you matched at and above choices.

Therefore, waitlist movement at any school has a trickle-down effect. As applicants withdraw from schools, those who have matched elsewhere could be offered an acceptance.

There....that's my long-winded response....

hi dookbloo,

for waitlist movement to occur at TMDSAS schools, an accepted applicant to a TMDSAS school must have decided to go to a non-TMDSAS school, or have decided to defer entry for one year.

let me illustrate this with an example:

john is accepted to UT-Houston and has been holding a spot there since february. yesterday, he was accepted to his dream school Harvard and decides to give up his UT-Houston acceptance. suzy, who is on the UT-Houston waitlist, is accepted off UT-Houston's waitlist in order to fill the spot vacated by john. suzy, however, has been holding an acceptance to TAMU since february. she gives up her TAMU spot, and now TAMU now needs fill in suzy's spot with another student, who will come off TAMU's waitlist. etc, etc, etc..

ultimately, the process of texas school waitlist movement depends initially on an accepted applicant choosing to attend a NON-TMDSAS school. it is in essence a trickle-down effect.

i decided to attend Tulane in New Orleans.

i hope i have not confused you! good luck!

askoogi

EIther they are out of state or went to Baylor. Or deferred a year.