Wake Forest Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LabMonster said:
I'll be on vacation - sounds interesting though.
Lab Monster, I think you spilled some Ethidium Bromide on your avatar :D

Members don't see this ad.

We're closing on June 5th, but we're going to move out there mid-June, so looks like we'll be helping a lot of you unpack. Pre-matriculation? Hmmm. If everything works out (getting to WS before it starts) as we plan and there are still slots available, I'm in. We'll be living east of Ebert and just south of Ardmore (if everything goes through as expected).

P.S. - If anyone else is looking for housing, we used a realtor mentioned before (Ellen Stockton - see page 2 or 3) and she was great to work with.

So is this prematriculation class something the admissions office will invite us to or should I ask about it? When does it start and what does it entail? :confused:

jimsteele said:
We're closing on June 5th, but we're going to move out there mid-June, so looks like we'll be helping a lot of you unpack. Pre-matriculation? Hmmm. If everything works out (getting to WS before it starts) as we plan and there are still slots available, I'm in. We'll be living east of Ebert and just south of Ardmore (if everything goes through as expected).

P.S. - If anyone else is looking for housing, we used a realtor mentioned before (Ellen Stockton - see page 2 or 3) and she was great to work with.

Members don't see this ad :)
LO281OK said:
So is this prematriculation class something the admissions office will invite us to or should I ask about it? When does it start and what does it entail? :confused:
I got a letter from School, inviting us to participate. It is only 8 days, starting July 6th. It's basically a "get comfortable with your new surroundings" session. I figured it won't hurt

Woohoo, I'm psyched to join the thread!!! Now I only need a financial aid package and housing...

Avalanche21 said:
Woohoo, I'm psyched to join the thread!!! Now I only need a financial aid package and housing...ahem, anyone looking for a male roommate (who has a place already or who might be willing to get a place with me?)

Rock on!!!! Welcome

Avalanche21 said:
Woohoo, I'm psyched to join the thread!!! Now I only need a financial aid package and housing...

From where are you coming to us?

LO281OK said:
From where are you coming to us?

From CO...not as bad as cali, but still a ways away.

Avalanche21 said:
From CO...not as bad as cali, but still a ways away.

Congratulations Avalanche21. Glad to have you.

Where is MN81? I think we need another role call.

Wake Forest, Class of 2010:
2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
JrsyGirl114
LabMonster
LO281OK
MGatWake
MN81
Multilocularis
newguy357

MN81 said:
2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
JrsyGirl114
LabMonster
LO281OK
MGatWake
MN81
Multilocularis
newguy357

While we're at it, why not use MN81's post and append when you'll be moving in and if you'd like help moving? We should start coordinating the parties, err I mean the moving help :D

2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
JrsyGirl114
LabMonster - I'm already here :D
LO281OK
MGatWake
MN81
Multilocularis
newguy357

Oh yeah - throwing a party on Saturday if anyone is in town. It will be family (housewarming) but if anyone is around it would be great to see you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey LabMonster, glad to see you back posting--I was beginning to think that you just decided to spend the last 2-3 months before school in the mountains :)

2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
JrsyGirl114
LabMonster - I'm already here
LO281OK
MGatWake
MN81
Multilocularis--scheduled arrival July 1st
newguy357

2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
JrsyGirl114
LO281OK
MGatWake--July 14th.
MN81
newguy357

2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
JrsyGirl114
LO281OK -- July __th? :thumbup:
MGatWake--July 14th.
MN81
newguy357

PS - I have tons of moving experience (Navy) and can throw one heckuva cookout/moving party!! Look forward to seeing y'all and helping those who come after us. ;)

Multilocularis said:
BTW, has anyone noticed how incredibly high is the number of people who smoke in Winston-Salem?

It's the whole state. When you guys do your CPE in October you'll end up seeing a lot of smokers.

Medikit said:
It's the whole state. When you guys do your CPE in October you'll end up seeing a lot of smokers.

Is it that so many ppl smoke in NC or that the people that smoke are more likely to have health problems? ;)

Also, where did you do your CPEs and did they let you make a wish list for where you would like to go? Do they set-up housing, etc.? Lots of questions, sorry. :confused:

Sorry...uhh..what is CPE?

Thanks, I should probably be more on the ball with things like that.

2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000- july 10 i think.
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
JrsyGirl114
LO281OK
MGatWake--July 14th.
MN81
newguy357

Hey everyone!! I hope your summer is going well. Enjoy these last few months. CPE is Community Practice Experience. You shadow a primary care physician somewhere in the state of NC three separate times: Ocotober of your first year (1 week), summer after your first year (2 weeks) and October of your second year (1 week). In the first few weeks of school, you will be asked to fill out an info. sheet. That is where you get to rank your preference for the 4 primary care specilties (peds, ob/gyn, internal, family). You also get to request an area of NC that you'd like to shadow in. You aren't guaranteed that area but they try their best. The school will give you free housing but gas and food are your responsibility. If you have family somewhere in NC, the school would prefer to put you there b/c then they don't have to pay for your housing. I requested the coast and was lucky enough to get placed with a family medicine physician in Wilmington. Consequently, my housing was decent (I lived in an apt. complex). I have some friends though who went to really backwoods NC and actually live in their doctor's homes. It's a really unique experience and definitely gets you comfortable with talking to patients and doing the physical exam. It can be kind of tedious if primary care isn't your thing (like for me) but still, it's a good learning experience. PM me if any of you have questions. Take care; see you all soon.

jllander said:
Hey everyone!! ... Take care; see you all soon.

Awesome! Thanks for the info... :thumbup:

Multilocularis said:
Hey LabMonster, glad to see you back posting--I was beginning to think that you just decided to spend the last 2-3 months before school in the mountains :)

Not a bad idea! ;) :D

jllander said:
It can be kind of tedious if primary care isn't your thing (like for me) but still, it's a good learning experience

Out of curiosity, where does your interest lie?

So I want to fast-forward to late July...hmm...maybe I'll just see how many SDN posts I can get in between then

Avalanche21 said:
Out of curiosity, where does your interest lie?

Currently I'm leaning towards emergency medicine.

jllander said:
Currently I'm leaning towards emergency medicine.

Anybody else have a shortlist? no idea? a list of 'definitely nots'? for specialties...

Maybe we could list them the same way we are doing the move date list? I know these could change WILDLY by the time we match, just thought it would be fun during this deadtime... So don't be scared... tell us what kind of doctor you want to be (for now):

2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
JrsyGirl114
LabMonster
LO281OK - rads, gas, ortho, path
MGatWake
MN81
Multilocularis
newguy357

note: to keep the bolding hit 'Reply' to this thread and remove the quote tags.

2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
JrsyGirl114
LabMonster
MGatWake
MN81
Multilocularis - Interv. Cardio, GI, Urology, maybe Int. Rads
newguy357

2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21 - ped. (general or specialized?), anesthesiology?
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
JrsyGirl114
LabMonster
MGatWake
MN81
newguy357

2010WFUdoc
Alegria
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
JrsyGirl114- peds of some sort, and I'm moving to NC July 15th :)
LabMonster
MGatWake
MN81
newguy357

Glad to see some new people on the Wake thread. Congrats and looking forward to meeting everyone in July!

LO281OK said:
Is it that so many ppl smoke in NC or that the people that smoke are more likely to have health problems? ;)

Also, where did you do your CPEs and did they let you make a wish list for where you would like to go? Do they set-up housing, etc.? Lots of questions, sorry. :confused:

I did get to say where I wanted to go but not everyone got sent where they wanted. My girlfriend (also c/o 2009) stayed here in Winston because she doesn't have a car. I didn't specify a place to go so I ended up in Hickory, NC. The place I stayed smelled like ass and looked pretty shabby. Fortunetly the place where the girls were staying in the same complex was much nicer and my Hickory roommate and I spent a lot of time over there watching television. From what I understand everyone's place is a little different. If you happen to be staying in Boone or Ashville I recommend white water rafting during the weekend between your two weeks of summer CPE.

Feel free to ask any more questions, I'm doing research at school over the summer and it's been pretty slow recently. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys when you come.

2010WFUdoc
Alegria - already in Winston / Endo? (where I work now - I love it, but I know that my mind will probably change millions of times)
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
LabMonster
MGatWake
MN81
newguy357

Can't wait to meet everyone - hope you are all doing well and having a happy summer!

Wake Class of 2010 Specialty Interests
2010WFUdoc
Alegria - already in Winston / Endo? (where I work now - I love it, but I know that my mind will probably change millions of times)
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
LabMonster
MGatWake
MN81 - neonatology, peds, anesthesiology, oncology (all over the board)
newguy357

Wake Forest, Class of 2010: Move-in Dates
2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000 - july 10th, i think
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
JrsyGirl114
LO281OK -- July __th? :thumbup:
MGatWake--July 14th.
MN81 - July 1
newguy357

LO281OK said:
Anybody else have a shortlist? no idea? a list of 'definitely nots'? for specialties...

Definitely NOT: Psych, OB/GYN, Peds, FP/GP, Surg - anything (not enough time ;))

Hopefully an IM sub-specialty, ID, Endo, Nephr...

I'm going in with an open mind, but going into surgery has definitely passed "the opportune moment."

Hey guys, I was wondering how long the background check takes (assuming they let you know when they're done). They asked that all materials be in by May 15 to prevent not being able to enroll, but I was not accepted until afterwards...just a little worried I guess. Any thoughts?

Still waiting on my financial aid / loan letters :scared:

Avalanche21 said:
Hey guys, I was wondering how long the background check takes (assuming they let you know when they're done). They asked that all materials be in by May 15 to prevent not being able to enroll, but I was not accepted until afterwards...just a little worried I guess. Any thoughts?

Hmm, now I am concerned too... I have not heard back from them either :confused:

Avalanche21 said:

Call the financial aid office. I did and the lady sent my stuff out that afternoon. Also, I can't imagine they would keep you out of the class if you do your due diligence in getting the bg check forms in quickly.

LO281OK said:
Call the financial aid office. I did and the lady sent my stuff out that afternoon. Also, I can't imagine they would keep you out of the class if you do your due diligence in getting the bg check forms in quickly.

Got the letter today :)

Ya, I sent the bg form in the day I got it and I sent the cheque the day I was notified of the amount. Looks like things will be ok :cool:

Avalanche21 said:
Got the letter today :)

Ya, I sent the bg form in the day I got it and I sent the cheque the day I was notified of the amount. Looks like things will be ok :cool:

I still have to get a fingerprint card done! I've been sitting on it for about a week. But it shouldn't take long. They probably just get a report on your id from the states you listed.

hey y'all ;)

Glad to be heading back to Winston-Salem to join the WFUSM class of 2010! I went to WFU as an undergrad, and after graduating in May 2005, I've been living in Atlanta.

I'd be happy to help out as much as I can with any questions people have about Winston-Salem. It really is a great place to live, very affordable and tons of southern charm!

I can recommend an AMAZING realtor if anyone needs one. Just ask!

Added myself to the move-in lists and specialty interests below. As far as specialty interests goes, I am just going to keep an open mind.

Wake Forest, Class of 2010: Move-in Dates
2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000 - july 10th, i think
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
JrsyGirl114
LO281OK -- July __th?
MGatWake--July 14th.
MN81 - July 1
newguy357
SassyDoc-- arriving June 27th, closing on house June 28th

Wake Class of 2010 Specialty Interests
2010WFUdoc
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
JrsyGirl114- peds of some sort, and I'm moving to NC July 15th
LabMonster
MGatWake
MN81 - neonatology, peds, anesthesiology, oncology (all over the board)
newguy357
SassyDoc- peds/dermatology/family practice/anything else

LO281OK said:
I still have to get a fingerprint card done! I've been sitting on it for about a week. But it shouldn't take long. They probably just get a report on your id from the states you listed.

Uh, fingerprint card? Was I supposed to get one of those? :confused:

Avalanche21 said:
Uh, fingerprint card? Was I supposed to get one of those? :confused:

Only certain states require fingerprints with background checks, so not everyone will recieve fingerprint cards :)

JrsyGirl114 said:
Only certain states require fingerprints with background checks, so not everyone will recieve fingerprint cards :)

Oh, ok, sweet. I almost had my bubble burst thinking I had all my forms in :D

Avalanche21 said:
Oh, ok, sweet. I almost had my bubble burst thinking I had all my forms in :D

You mean you haven't sent in a fingerprint card? Don't listen to JrsyGirl114, check out her post count. I can give you the straight shot. ;) You are going to have to go down to your local police department and pay around $30 to have two fingerprint cards made. Make sure you get this taken care of tomorrow. You may want to send it express mail to the investigation co., but priority mail might do... :scared: Oh yeah, and don't let your guard down when med school starts. Wake likes to put up this lovey-dovey facade, but once classes start it is one of the most cut-throat schools in the country. The laptops were actually an effort by the school to reduce the amount of hoarding of texts and necessary pages being ripped out of other students books. ;) ;) :laugh: :laugh:

LO281OK said:
You mean you haven't sent in a fingerprint card? Don't listen to JrsyGirl114, check out her post count. I can give you the straight shot. ;) You are going to have to go down to your local police department and pay around $30 to have two fingerprint cards made. Make sure you get this taken care of tomorrow. You may want to send it express mail to the investigation co., but priority mail might do... :scared: Oh yeah, and don't let your guard down when med school starts. Wake likes to put up this lovey-dovey facade, but once classes start it is one of the most cut-throat schools in the country. The laptops were actually an effort by the school to reduce the amount of hoarding of texts and necessary pages being ripped out of other students books. ;) ;) :laugh: :laugh:

I knew it!!! It's all a conspiracy to prevent me from attending and graduating from wake!! :eek:

Avalanche21 said:
I knew it!!! It's all a conspiracy to prevent me from attending and graduating from wake!! :eek:

I shoulda known you were a wise man. Look at that post count! :thumbup: ;)

Guess we'll all be taking trips to the doctor to get those health forms filled out...so we need a TB test done? How recent does it have to be? I can't seem to figure that out from the form.