Wake Forest Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Avalanche21 said:
Guess we'll all be taking trips to the doctor to get those health forms filled out...so we need a TB test done? How recent does it have to be? I can't seem to figure that out from the form.

Health care providers need one done every year, so if you've had one done within a year (from July 24th-ish) you should be fine.

Call them if you're not sure. They will give us our second TB test after we start...

Oh yeah - these health forms are a pain in the ass :D

My medical records are scattered to the 4 corners.

Members don't see this ad.

LabMonster said:
My medical records are scattered to the 4 corners.

Same here. For some reason the navy had my shot records prior to entry, but I didn't get them back on my way out?! So I have all the record of my recent shots (Hep B, etc), but nothing from my childhood. This should be fun. :barf:

Woohoo, how about that lucky win by the hurricanes last night? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Avalanche21 said:
Woohoo, how about that lucky win by the hurricanes last night? :)

Your screenname makes so much more sense now, but I still find hockey boring... maybe you can educate me to the finer sides of... it? next year.

LO281OK said:
Your screenname makes so much more sense now, but I still find hockey boring... maybe you can educate me to the finer sides of... it? next year.

It's all good, not everyone loves hockey. I never get to watch the games during school anyway :( But if have any questions, I'll see what I can do :thumbup:

Just for the record, the Avalanche is my #1 team. The hurricanes will be my #2 team

By the way, I've noticed that many people haven't heard of wake forest...for other out of staters, have you experienced the same thing?

Well, I just got back from a successful (and extremely busy) trip to Winston Salem. After much searching, found a good duplex to live in. Man... rent is cheap around the area. I was able to get a place triple the size of my current residence in the St. Paul for only $90 more per month. And it is only a mile from school. Good stuff.

Also, I found a good 'authentic' mexican restaurant. Me happy.

Anyway, the weather was nice, the people were great, and I am very excited get started this July.

Luck for those who are still hoping, and congrats for those who are coming to Wake.

LO281OK said:
You mean you haven't sent in a fingerprint card? Don't listen to JrsyGirl114, check out her post count. I can give you the straight shot. ;)

Actually I was just reading directly off the first letter Investigative Associates sent us where it clearly lists the states which require fingerprint cards. It also states that if a fingerprint card or any other additional paperwork is required it will be sent to you once they recieve and process your originial application. This was also the information I recieved when I called to double check I had sent them everything they needed for the background check. No motives other than trying to help out another classmate.

Avalanche21 said:
By the way, I've noticed that many people haven't heard of wake forest...for other out of staters, have you experienced the same thing?

Well, the school changed the name a few years back from the Bowman Gray School of Medicine at Wake Forest University (i believe), to WFUSM at the Bowman Gray Campus. Most of my relatives and friends from oustide NC know what I am saying when I say Bowman Gray, but they also recognize Wake Forest (even the ones in TX).

Having said that, I don't know why they took the Bowman Gray so far out of the name that it would never be used in any ordinary speech. I know that they wanted to bring more recognition to the University, but something like what USC or Chicago does with Keck and Pritzker, respectively, would be good. I think the Wake Forest University Bowman Gray School of Medicine would have been a better way to structure the name to hold onto tradition, yet get the university some recognition. Just pontificating and (although you cannot see me) gesticulating.

JrsyGirl114 said:
LO281OK said:
You mean you haven't sent in a fingerprint card? Don't listen to JrsyGirl114, check out her post count. I can give you the straight shot. ;)

Actually I was just reading directly off the first letter Investigative Associates sent us where it clearly lists the states which require fingerprint cards. It also states that if a fingerprint card or any other additional paperwork is required it will be sent to you once they recieve and process your originial application. This was also the information I recieved when I called to double check I had sent them everything they needed for the background check. No motives other than trying to help out another classmate.

I am sorry if that note came across as the slightest bit serious. I meant for it to be completely facetious. The part about your post count signifying anything about your ability to correctly guide our fellow classmate was supposed to seem proposterous. Again, sorry if you read it in any other way than a sarcastic poke ;) at Avalanche being overly worried :scared: about paperwork not being done.

Take care, smile and have a great day! :D

It looks like I will be in town this weekend (June 10th-11th). Does anybody wanna meet for lunch, or maybe a dinner, movie, etc. Saturday evening? :thumbup:

Out of curiosity, where did you come up with "LO281OK?"

Anyway, I probably won't be able to make it into W-S until the day before orientation :-( Such is life though

Avalanche21 said:
Out of curiosity, where did you come up with "LO281OK?"

Anyway, I probably won't be able to make it into W-S until the day before orientation :-( Such is life though

It is a morphism of my old bike frame. LOOK KG281. Is that a word? Morphism?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if I misread your post, its sometimes hard to distinguish serious comments from jokes over the computer. glad yours was the latter. enjoy your time in W-S this weekend :)

Ahem...in case anyone was wondering, the hurricanes won game 2, so they're up 2-0 against the oilers :cool:

Avalanche21 said:
Ahem...in case anyone was wondering, the hurricanes won game 2, so they're up 2-0 against the oilers :cool:

Domination!

Although I am not (yet :mad: ) a part of WFU 2010, I couldn't resist posting here. This is the only mention I have seen on these boards of hockey and the 'Canes. Go Hurricanes!

registered user said:
Domination!

Although I am not (yet :mad: ) a part of WFU 2010, I couldn't resist posting here. This is the only mention I have seen on these boards of hockey and the 'Canes. Go Hurricanes!

Hey Reg User, good to see you here. When do they say you could find out about Wake? I really hope you can join us, good luck man!!!
BTW, I've been toying with a macho idea of one day going up Everest. What do you (as an alpinist) think?

Multilocularis said:
Hey Reg User, good to see you here. When do they say you could find out about Wake? I really hope you can join us, good luck man!!!
BTW, I've been toying with a macho idea of one day going up Everest. What do you (as an alpinist) think?

As to WFU, they told me to keep waiting :mad: . It might be a while. I haven't explicitly told them they are my "first choice" and all that. I am waiting to talk to the Dean at UNC about why waitlist spot there before I do anything else with the Wake waitlist. We'll see, but I think I probably will end up in Philadelphia, which isn't bad.
Now to Everest. While the idea of standing on the highest point on Earth has a certain appeal, the route to the top, at least to me, has none. It has been characterized as a "long walk", not particularly challenging. Add to this that most of the camps are high altitude garbage dumps and it becomes less appealling. Top it all of with the real possibility of dying trying and I say "no thanks". Its a beautiful mountain and the idea of climbing to the highest point possible is enthralling, but I don't have much interest in it.
Better to stick with smaller, more manageable peaks that have fun, interesting routes. Get scared, but not so scared you never want to do it again. Pick something beautiful and a good partner and have fun.
Hopefully I will see you (and all the others on this thread) in the fall. It would be cool to be near the NC mtns with all the inherently available recreational opportunities.

registered user said:
As to WFU, they told me to keep waiting :mad: . It might be a while. I haven't explicitly told them they are my "first choice" and all that. I am waiting to talk to the Dean at UNC about why waitlist spot there before I do anything else with the Wake waitlist. We'll see, but I think I probably will end up in Philadelphia, which isn't bad.
Now to Everest. While the idea of standing on the highest point on Earth has a certain appeal, the route to the top, at least to me, has none. It has been characterized as a "long walk", not particularly challenging. Add to this that most of the camps are high altitude garbage dumps and it becomes less appealling. Top it all of with the real possibility of dying trying and I say "no thanks". Its a beautiful mountain and the idea of climbing to the highest point possible is enthralling, but I don't have much interest in it.
Better to stick with smaller, more manageable peaks that have fun, interesting routes. Get scared, but not so scared you never want to do it again. Pick something beautiful and a good partner and have fun.
Hopefully I will see you (and all the others on this thread) in the fall. It would be cool to be near the NC mtns with all the inherently available recreational opportunities.

Good luck wherever you choose to go :thumbup:

Wake Forest, Class of 2010: Move-in Dates
2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000 - july 10th, i think
Herman Bloom
jimsteele - Just moved in last Monday -barely got internet
JrsyGirl114
LabMonster - I'm already here
LO281OK -- July __th? :thumbup:
MGatWake--July 14th.
MN81 - July 1
Multilocularis--scheduled arrival July 1st
newguy357[/QUOTE]

LO281OK - I don't know if you'll get this - but if you're in town - lunch or dinner sounds good.

For everyone else, if any of you need a place to stay while you're checking things out in WS - just ask - it's fine with me unless family comes to visit. Man it's nice to have the internet again!

Guys I was recently accepted, and I'm totally confused about everything. I'm out of the country until July 21st and I'm not sure when classes start, I'm worried that I might miss important dates. I'm also looking for 1 to 2 bedroom apartment that are close to school. Can anyone help!!

superseif said:
Guys I was recently accepted, and I'm totally confused about everything. I'm out of the country until July 21st and I'm not sure when classes start, I'm worried that I might miss important dates. I'm also looking for 1 to 2 bedroom apartment that are close to school. Can anyone help!!

Classes start on July 31st but there is a mandatory orientation on July 24th. They say that they will give up your spot if you're not there - they seem serious about that as well. About the one to two bedroom apartment - I'm not sure about the good places for that, but the WF website has an area for housing that may be useful - others may have a better idea of where good apartments are located.

Does anyone know how the grading system is... Also how's the curriculum like... Do you guys know if it is easy to do rotations for 3rd and 4th years in California... Thanks

superseif said:
Does anyone know how the grading system is... Also how's the curriculum like... Do you guys know if it is easy to do rotations for 3rd and 4th years in California... Thanks

Grading system is 0-3. I believe 0 is fail, 1 is low pass, 2 is pass, 3 is honors. Anyone confirm this?

By the way, the hurricanes lost tonight :(

But look on the bright side. If they win the next two games, their last win will be in Carolina. Winning at home is always better than winning on the road.

Hey. The 0-3 grading system is pretty accurate. For an idea of the curriculum, check out wake's website; there's a pretty good breakdown of each year. If you have specific questions about each part, post here or PM me. As for 3rd and 4th year rotations, i'm not sure if you can do away rotations 3rd year (although i'm sure people have and it can be arranged) but i do know that people do away rotations 4th year. Personally, i plan on doing one rotation in CA or OR. It's totally doable but you can only do 1 or 2 away rotations so you have to pick wisely. Anyway, hope you all are having a great summer. I can't wait to meet you all. Take care!!

Wake Class of 2010 Specialty Interests
2010WFUdoc
Alegria - already in Winston / Endo? (where I work now - I love it, but I know that my mind will probably change millions of times)
Avalanche21 - ped. (general or specialized?), anesthesiology?
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
JrsyGirl114- peds of some sort, and I'm moving to NC July 15th
LabMonster
LO281OK - rads, gas, ortho, path
MGatWake
MN81 - neonatology, peds, anesthesiology, oncology (all over the board)
Multilocularis - Interv. Cardio, GI, Urology, maybe Int. Rads
newguy357
SassyDoc- peds/dermatology/
TheAmbientMan-Anesthesiology, Radiology

To add my specialty interest/location :rolleyes: .

Wake Class of 2010 Specialty Interests
2010WFUdoc-already in W/S- Peds neurology
Alegria - already in Winston / Endo? (where I work now - I love it, but I know that my mind will probably change millions of times)
Avalanche21 - ped. (general or specialized?), anesthesiology?
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
JrsyGirl114- peds of some sort, and I'm moving to NC July 15th
LabMonster
LO281OK - rads, gas, ortho, path
MGatWake
MN81 - neonatology, peds, anesthesiology, oncology (all over the board)
Multilocularis - Interv. Cardio, GI, Urology, maybe Int. Rads
newguy357
SassyDoc- peds/dermatology/

In being consistant with my updates, just thought I'd let you guys know that carolina won tonight...which means they're up 3-1. For you non hockey-buffs, this means that carolina needs to win just 1 more game!!

Questions please

1) When you recieve your notice of amounts of loans and such from the financial aid office, you have you sign it and send it back. I thought I remember it saying that you will receive an email confirmation when they receive it. I sent mine last week and have not received an email. I called today, but they don't seem to answer their phones or return messages (is this a busy time or something?). Did you guys get confirmation emails?

2) Are we all in the same classes? Do they put all 108 in the same calss or divide us up? Do we register at all or do they take care of it for us?

Thanks

Avalanche21 said:
Questions please

1) When you recieve your notice of amounts of loans and such from the financial aid office, you have you sign it and send it back. I thought I remember it saying that you will receive an email confirmation when they receive it. I sent mine last week and have not received an email. I called today, but they don't seem to answer their phones or return messages (is this a busy time or something?). Did you guys get confirmation emails?

2) Are we all in the same classes? Do they put all 108 in the same calss or divide us up? Do we register at all or do they take care of it for us?

Thanks

1] I sent mine in around the last week of May and got an email with instructions for signing the master promissary note June 8th. Probably should give it a couple of days...

2] I assume we are all in the same class? but a firm answer from c/o 2009 would be nice. Thanks :thumbup:

:thumbup: World Cup > Hockey :thumbdown: :sleep:

Just picking... :laugh:

TheAmbientMan said:

My pre-MS1 specialty choice twin! Well, sort of... same top two, flipped. Where are you coming from? Have you figured out when you are arriving, where you want to live? We just found a rental near the hospital... excited :D . Anyway, welcome aboard!

Hey guys,

Does anyone know what to do if I have already signed a master promissory note with another school that I'm no longer going to, do I need to sign another one? ... I haven't received my packet from Wake yet, but I will be attending this fall!!! I look forward to meeting all of you.... I think I wanna do Anesthesia or Cardiac Surgery :)

I'm a North Carolinian, from NCSU there are a lot of us this year
I just got in off the waitlist and hopefully will be looking for an apartment this week....
The only doctors I've really spent any time with have been anesthesiologists so I'm leaning that way, buy who really knows until year three...
oh well, I'm just glad to be posting in the allopathic thread instead of pre allo

TheAmbientMan said:
oh well, I'm just glad to be posting in the allopathic thread instead of pre allo

Amen! Looking back at that board just frustrates me with all the repetition and "Hey I'm too lazy to look for myself" questions... :idea:

LO281OK said:
Amen! Looking back at that board just frustrates me with all the repetition and "Hey I'm too lazy to look for myself" questions... :idea:

I remember asking some of those questions (I didn't know there was a search function - though I should have) and it feels pretty damn good to be on this side of the fence.

I'm waiting for one titer-then my damn health paperwork is done, WHOOOHOO :D

I know we'll all most likely take the insurance through Baptist, but if you need a family physician for your, er, uh family - I've got a great recommendation for you!

BTW -> Hanging rock is very cool. The park is very popular, but the two waterfalls (yes - you can 'get in there') swimming area, and hanging rock were a lot of fun. So if you're on the fence concerning the camping weekend, join us!

Also, Mt. Rogers rec area (state park) in southern Virginia is also a nice place. We hit that last weekend (good elevation changes - gorgeous scencery) - just thought I'd let you other hikers know ;)

Avalanche21 said:
Questions please

Thanks

yep! You are all in the same class together. Both the lecture halls and the anatomy/histology/pathology labs can accomodate all 108 of you. So that means you all take the same class at the same time. There is no class registration. You take all the ones planned in the curriculum. The paper in your interview packets or online that outline the curriculum will give you an idea of what you are taking. If you won't a general description of your Phase IA courses, I would be happy to oblige. Now, the clinics they do have to splt you up. Have the class does clinical stuff on Tuesdays, the other half does it Wednesday. That is because thsoe little patient interview rooms can only accomodate so many and the hospital floors can't deal with all 108 students at one time. :) Take care! I can't wait to meet you all!

jllander said:
yep! You are all in the same class together. Both the lecture halls and the anatomy/histology/pathology labs can accomodate all 108 of you. So that means you all take the same class at the same time. There is no class registration. You take all the ones planned in the curriculum. The paper in your interview packets or online that outline the curriculum will give you an idea of what you are taking. If you won't a general description of your Phase IA courses, I would be happy to oblige. Now, the clinics they do have to splt you up. Have the class does clinical stuff on Tuesdays, the other half does it Wednesday. That is because thsoe little patient interview rooms can only accomodate so many and the hospital floors can't deal with all 108 students at one time. :) Take care! I can't wait to meet you all!

The other half of the class goes on Thursday, not Wednesday (Someone must've been a Tuesday gal....)

It's nice if you have yours on Thursday because then you don't have to show up in anatomy lab in your nice clothes. (There is never lab on Thursday and no "real" classes, just Pop Epi and MAAP). It was always funny to see the people who had patient interview class (DPR) on Tuesday because they would be the ones wearing button up shirts w/ a tie or high heels and skirts while cutting open some guys abdomen or playing with brains in the lab. It's quite the picture.

DrThom said:
The other half of the class goes on Thursday, not Wednesday (Someone must've been a Tuesday gal....)

It's nice if you have yours on Thursday because then you don't have to show up in anatomy lab in your nice clothes. (There is never lab on Thursday and no "real" classes, just Pop Epi and MAAP). It was always funny to see the people who had patient interview class (DPR) on Tuesday because they would be the ones wearing button up shirts w/ a tie or high heels and skirts while cutting open some guys abdomen or playing with brains in the lab. It's quite the picture.

Any method to who gets assigned to what group (Tu vs. Th)? Alphabetical, seniority, best fit, sadistic madman pairings, anatomy groups? :scared:

LO281OK said:
Any method to who gets assigned to what group (Tu vs. Th)? Alphabetical, seniority, best fit, sadistic madman pairings, anatomy groups? :scared:

The third years I toured with told me it is alphabetical, same as rotations. It seemed like the same group is together through the whole process.

LabMonster said:
The third years I toured with told me it is alphabetical, same as rotations. It seemed like the same group is together through the whole process.

Hong Kong Phooey! Looks like I'll prolly be on Tuesday! :thumbdown: :thumbup: :confused:

LO281OK said:
Hong Kong Phooey! Looks like I'll prolly be on Tuesday! :thumbdown: :thumbup: :confused:

Hmm... which letter is the midpoint in English ABC? (OK, I know I can look it up, but now on Allo side I don't have too :laugh: )

Hello everyone! A little late catching on, but wanted to say hi to all. I'm psyched about meeting you guys in July! :D Cheerio!

Hey does anyone know what grades we need to get in our last quarter or semester to maintain our spot...

LabMonster said:

Hmmm, this might've been true in the past but not anymore. I was a Thursday kid and I had many letters in my group like C (I'm a C), T, K, and S. They make an effort to try and mix groups up.

And don't get me wrong, there are advantages to going on Tuesday as well (like have Thursday afternoon free to study for a test on Friday rather having to practice PE or interview a standardized patient)

DrThom said:
Hmmm, this might've been true in the past but not anymore. I was a Thursday kid and I had many letters in my group like C (I'm a C), T, K, and S. They make an effort to try and mix groups up.

And don't get me wrong, there are advantages to going on Tuesday as well (like have Thursday afternoon free to study for a test on Friday rather having to practice PE or interview a standardized patient)

Also, you anatomy groups are different than your DPR/PE groups. Then, after Phase 1A, your case/anatomy group changes. Then after Phase 1B, they switch yet again.

jllander said:
Also, you anatomy groups are different than your DPR/PE groups. Then, after Phase 1A, your case/anatomy group changes. Then after Phase 1B, they switch yet again.

Thanks guys (Dr. Thom)

Dr House, season 1, there is a scene where House is in his office and the mean-old-baddy moneybags man wants to see him. He comes in to House doing "air-piano" to the Who's "Teenage Wasteland."

Anyone? Anyone?

For almost two bloody years I can't get the sight out of my mind, nor the song that follows.

I'm listening to it now. Loud.

help