MD WAMC: 504/3.73c/3.57sc, FL URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sports_science

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Submitted and verified. Received most secondaries. Just looking for some extra tips thanks y'all! Good luck and blessings to you! URM-AA

• Year in school: Gap Year
  • Country/state of residence: Florida
  • Schools:CMU; UCLA; FIU;FSU; Howard University; Loma Linda; Meharry; Michigan State; Oregon Health and Science University; Penn State; The University of Miami; UAB; UA-Tuscon; UCF; UF University of Illinois at Chicago; University of Michigan; UNC; University of South Carolina; WVU
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.73
  • Science GPA: 3.57
  • MCAT Scores: 1st: 493 (123/123/124/123) 2nd: 504 (125/126/127/126)
  • Research – 400 hours- Done through UIC. Breast Cancer research on Tamoxifen resistant cells. Presented research at symposium.
  • Volunteering (clinical) – 51 hours- Free Clinic
  • Physician shadowing – 24 (Ortho); 6 (Hem/Onco);5 (Gen Surg); 5 (Rehab Med)
  • Non-clinical volunteering- 120 hours (AIDS Home in Jamaica)
  • Extracurricular activities- 1 Year of Intercollegiate athletics, 4 years of music orchestra and traveling select choir on music scholarship, 3 Years Tri Beta Biological National Honor Society (1 year treasurer; 1 year president); 2 years Alpha Chi National Honor Society (1 year treasurer); Mayo Clinic enrichment program (Summer); University of Michigan Summer Enrichment (Summer); Going abroad from September 2017-December 2017 for Spanish language immersion program.
  • Employment history- 12 hours per week for 4 years I worked in the Bio department. Year 1: Lab Worker; Year 2/3: Gen Bio Lab Instructor/TA; Year 4: Human Gross Anatomy TA; Lifeguard
  • Immediate family members in medicine: No
  • Specialty of interest: Pediatrics (Unsure of specialty)
  • Graduate degrees: N/A
  • Interest in rural health: No

Members don't see this ad.

Which URM group do you belong to? If Hispanic are you fluent in Spanish?
OP is African-American.

OP, Delete Loma Linda unless you are SDA or a devout Christian.
Delete ORHS, U MI, UAz-T, and U ILL,

Add IU, UCLA/Drew, Morehouse, ALL FL schools, the Philly Triplets, Wake, SLU. MCW, Creighton, Tulane

I can't recommend Penn State

Members don't see this ad :)
OP is African-American.

OP, Delete Loma Linda unless you are SDA or a devout Christian.
Delete ORHS, U MI, UAz-T, and U ILL,

Add IU, UCLA/Drew, Morehouse, ALL FL schools, the Philly Triplets, Wake, SLU. MCW, Creighton, Tulane

I can't recommend Penn State

Ok, thank you Goro. Just wondering why you suggested some of those skills since a few are public and out of my range.

Ok, thank you Goro. Just wondering why you suggested some of those skills since a few are public and out of my range.
I make my suggestions for AA applicants based upon the success of other AA SDNers.

Do NOT underestimate the need for AA doctors....hence, you get viewed in a different prism, despite the wailing and gnashing of teeth of hyperachievers.

Reactions: 1 user
I make my suggestions for AA applicants based upon the success of other AA SDNers.

Do NOT underestimate the need for AA doctors....hence, you get viewed in a different prism, despite the wailing and gnashing of teeth of hyperachievers.
Ahhh understood. Wow and yeah you hit the nail on the head with that last statement.

Does UMI not accept as many AA'S? I live in MI and I am AA, this is one of my top choices.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

Does UMI not accept as many AA'S? I live in MI and I am AA, this is one of my top choices.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk
Well, there aren't too many AA SDNers, or at least those who share with me where they get IIs.

Last year only some 500 AAs were accepted to MD schools nationwide. This is around the same number as 20 years ago.

U MI has 14 AA students in a class of 172 (8%). Yet 15% of the state is black or African-American. Hence, you should apply!

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I should update! @Goro Interviews at Iowa, Central Michigan, Meharry, South Carolina, West Virginia, and Loma Linda so far.

Accepted University of South Carolina. I'm thankful!

Reactions: 3 users
Are you shocked about the UConn acceptance since UConn isnt friendly to out of state applicants ?
I think that’s a misconception. I was surrounded by other oos people at my interview. Also, many people I know in the class are oos.