This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prairiemusic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I had a rough final semester and I'm not sure what to do next. I'm at a 3.0 cGPA and 2.9 sGPA, with a 516 MCAT. I've finished all the prereqs but I took Biochem instead of Orgo II. I'm a black lesbian and my ECs are average atm, so I'm planning to take two gap years and boost them, and maybe take some more classes. I've been advised to do an SMP this year but reading some of the posts here, it seems that it might not be necessary? Is my MCAT enough to make up for my GPA? I'd rather avoid spending that much on a program if I have a chance without it (unless doing well in the SMP could open the door for scholarships???). I'd love to hear from anyone in a similar situation, feel free to PM me if you don't want to post on here!

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT is really good. Good job :) How old is it? It can help compensate for your gpa, but some schools have cutoffs for gpa so even with the high MCAT you need to work on boosting it. I am biased against SMPs unless you have the money and they are connected to an actual MD/DO program. I believe there are some like this, but you will have to research them. The AAMC tries to keep tabs on postbac programs here, but go to the programs directly for specifics. You can do your own postbac by taking all the upper level science courses that you may not have before (e.g. Orgo II) and any other BCPM courses offered at your state school. There are also a few schools that view graduate bio work favorably (though it will not replace your current gpa) so I'd research those too.

All that being said, if you personally have no qualms about where you go (location, MD/DO, etc.) then I think you would even have a shot at a few newer or lower tier schools. Even if you have average ECs and just raise your gpa a little. It kind of depends on where you want to end up but be mindful of your MCATs expiration date (3 yrs?) and make sure your putting in work to volunteer (clinical and non-clinical) to show your commitment.

Reactions: 1 user
I would suggest doing a DIY Post-Bacc and get your GPA up. If you can get a 4.0 for a year or so then that will definitely help you out. If you decide to do an SMP program, then find one with linkage and your MCAT might even automatically qualify you for an interview/acceptance they are very expensive though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT is really good. Good job :) How old is it? It can help compensate for your gpa, but some schools have cutoffs for gpa so even with the high MCAT you need to work on boosting it. I am biased against SMPs unless you have the money and they are connected to an actual MD/DO program. I believe there are some like this, but you will have to research them. The AAMC tries to keep tabs on postbac programs here, but go to the programs directly for specifics. You can do your own postbac by taking all the upper level science courses that you may not have before (e.g. Orgo II) and any other BCPM courses offered at your state school. There are also a few schools that view graduate bio work favorably (though it will not replace your current gpa) so I'd research those too.

All that being said, if you personally have no qualms about where you go (location, MD/DO, etc.) then I think you would even have a shot at a few newer or lower tier schools. Even if you have average ECs and just raise your gpa a little. It kind of depends on where you want to end up but be mindful of your MCATs expiration date (3 yrs?) and make sure your putting in work to volunteer (clinical and non-clinical) to show your commitment.

Yeah, I was advised by a med school dean who trains admissions committees to just go for it this cycle :eek: currently putting the finishing touches on my personal statement. My sGPA should hit 3.0 after I finish the anatomy class I'm in right now (it's going very well). Do you have any school suggestions? My MCAT is from January 2018. I have a decent amount of volunteering and will have a lot more by the end of the gap year. I also just scored a clinical job that'll boost those hours. So we'll see what happens.

I would suggest doing a DIY Post-Bacc and get your GPA up. If you can get a 4.0 for a year or so then that will definitely help you out. If you decide to do an SMP program, then find one with linkage and your MCAT might even automatically qualify you for an interview/acceptance they are very expensive though.

I was really considering SMPs but they're so expensive. If I have a shot at newer/lower tier schools I'll just take that at this point.

Yeah, I was advised by a med school dean who trains admissions committees to just go for it this cycle :eek: currently putting the finishing touches on my personal statement. My sGPA should hit 3.0 after I finish the anatomy class I'm in right now (it's going very well). Do you have any school suggestions? My MCAT is from January 2018. I have a decent amount of volunteering and will have a lot more by the end of the gap year. I also just scored a clinical job that'll boost those hours. So we'll see what happens.

I'm kind of with your adviser because I think your MCAT is that good but make sure you apply smart. My suggestions (from a lowly acceptee):
  • Apply to ALL of the schools in your state(s) of residence (past or present), any states that you are in anyway familiar with (e.g. visited a lot or have family/friends there; makes for interesting secondaries), and any schools in your region (e.g. the Southwest). Schools take that close-ties thing seriously for the most-part, but any tie gets your app a closer look in my experience. I got interviewed at schools well above my MCAT & gpa as an OOS due to writing about a personal tie in my secondary & having a very thorough primary application.
  • The MSAR can be your best friend, but also your biggest naysayer. You already know you may be a long shot so use definitely use it but don't be as deterred by the gpa percentiles. However, go to every school's website (or contact Admissions personally) about their gpa cut off. You need to know this so you are not wasting your time or money so find out if they have a hard line as far as gpa
  • Realize that your high MCAT may also screen you out (not sure how to phrase that) of lower-tier programs too. You might seem like the kind of applicant that "would not attend if accepted" on paper so make sure to emphasize your reasons for wanting to do medicine, your humbleness, and how both these things are reflected in your service or other ECs. The lower-tiers need to kind of be wooed too, so show them you are eager and willing at every step (but don't go over the top of course;))
  • Again, scan the MSAR for any schools that might give you a shot
  • Apply DO. I can't really tell you much about this, but I know they publish a stats too like in the MSAR. Maybe here & here? I personally know of a great one in my area that really values reinvention and adversity so PM about that if you want, but apply to a few just to be safe.
  • Have your app in early (June/July) & make it as thorough as possible. I know some people talk about not adding too much, but honestly I think the opposite. Especially if you do not have very many ECs. These people have never met you in real life so your primary app is your introduction, CV, biography, etc. to them. It doesn't have to drag on or be boring, but make it real, personal, and informative.
  • Really craft your personal statement. I rewrote mine a bunch of times on my own and had two friends read final drafts just to make sure I answered the questions "Why medicine?" & "Why me?" well. I think it works best when it is someone outside of bio/medicine but do what you feel and have access to.
  • Start working on secondaries early. Even if you think you won't get one. It saves time & gets your writing juices flowing for the schools that will give you a secondary.
  • Practice with some interview questions like these or these & be prepared to talk about yourself A LOT before this cycle is over
  • Address the low gpa. It might/probably will come up, but schools know you can hack it based on your score. They just might want to know why those classes were trouble and if you can reflect well on that now.
I think that's it. I think you'll be fine. Also, if you don't mind sharing, what kind of activities or service do you have? About how many hours?

Also, if you choose the CA residency, then you also get points for being a CA resident as schools know how competitive it is there. You would do well at places like SLU, or in Chicago, or along the East coast.

EDIT: Don't ignore the schools mission or values. This plays into a schools "personality" and will come into play when they consider whether or not you will fulfill their mission (e.g. underserved, diversity, women's health, etc.).

Last edited:
I'm kind of with your adviser because I think your MCAT is that good but make sure you apply smart. My suggestions (from a lowly acceptee):
  • Apply to ALL of the schools in your state(s) of residence (past or present), any states that you are in anyway familiar with (e.g. visited a lot or have family/friends there; makes for interesting secondaries), and any schools in your region (e.g. the Southwest). Schools take that close-ties thing seriously for the most-part, but any tie gets your app a closer look in my experience. I got interviewed at schools well above my MCAT & gpa as an OOS due to writing about a personal tie in my secondary & having a very thorough primary application.
  • The MSAR can be your best friend, but also your biggest naysayer. You already know you may be a long shot so use definitely use it but don't be as deterred by the gpa percentiles. However, go to every school's website (or contact Admissions personally) about their gpa cut off. You need to know this so you are not wasting your time or money so find out if they have a hard line as far as gpa
  • Realize that your high MCAT may also screen you out (not sure how to phrase that) of lower-tier programs too. You might seem like the kind of applicant that "would not attend if accepted" on paper so make sure to emphasize your reasons for wanting to do medicine, your humbleness, and how both these things are reflected in your service or other ECs. The lower-tiers need to kind of be wooed too, so show them you are eager and willing at every step (but don't go over the top of course;))
  • Again, scan the MSAR for any schools that might give you a shot
  • Apply DO. I can't really tell you much about this, but I know they publish a stats too like in the MSAR. Maybe here & here? I personally know of a great one in my area that really values reinvention and adversity so PM about that if you want, but apply to a few just to be safe.
  • Have your app in early (June/July) & make it as thorough as possible. I know some people talk about not adding too much, but honestly I think the opposite. Especially if you do not have very many ECs. These people have never met you in real life so your primary app is your introduction, CV, biography, etc. to them. It doesn't have to drag on or be boring, but make it real, personal, and informative.
  • Really craft your personal statement. I rewrote mine a bunch of times on my own and had two friends read final drafts just to make sure I answered the questions "Why medicine?" & "Why me?" well. I think it works best when it is someone outside of bio/medicine but do what you feel and have access to.
  • Start working on secondaries early. Even if you think you won't get one. It saves time & gets your writing juices flowing for the schools that will give you a secondary.
  • Practice with some interview questions like these or these & be prepared to talk about yourself A LOT before this cycle is over
  • Address the low gpa. It might/probably will come up, but schools know you can hack it based on your score. They just might want to know why those classes were trouble and if you can reflect well on that now.
I think that's it. I think you'll be fine. Also, if you don't mind sharing, what kind of activities or service do you have? About how many hours?

Also, if you choose the CA residency, then you also get points for being a CA resident as schools know how competitive it is there. You would do well at places like SLU, or in Chicago, or along the East coast.

EDIT: Don't ignore the schools mission or values. This plays into a schools "personality" and will come into play when they consider whether or not you will fulfill their mission (e.g. underserved, diversity, women's health, etc.).

WOW thank you so much for all of this advice!!! I really appreciate it. I have a ton of hours from playing an instrument and then about 200 non-clinical volunteering, 75 shadowing, about 250 in SMDEP/SHPEP, 500 from a club I co-founded for LGBT people in STEM, and then about 400 paid employment. For my gap year I've started clinical volunteering and got a job at a plasma donation center which I think counts as clinical, so with future hours I'll have about 400 volunteering and 1500 paid clinical.

I have minimal ties to CA at best, my signature is saying I'm from a state that isn't CA or TX haha. I am very interested in women's health - didn't know there were schools with that kind of focus, do you know which ones?

WOW thank you so much for all of this advice!!! I really appreciate it. I have a ton of hours from playing an instrument and then about 200 non-clinical volunteering, 75 shadowing, about 250 in SMDEP/SHPEP, 500 from a club I co-founded for LGBT people in STEM, and then about 400 paid employment. For my gap year I've started clinical volunteering and got a job at a plasma donation center which I think counts as clinical, so with future hours I'll have about 400 volunteering and 1500 paid clinical.

I have minimal ties to CA at best, my signature is saying I'm from a state that isn't CA or TX haha. I am very interested in women's health - didn't know there were schools with that kind of focus, do you know which ones?

Your hours look great so I would really think about focusing some of your app on schools that appreciate your clinical experience or service more. & my bad. I glanced at it & thought you hadn't picked a residence state yet lol

I'm not sure which schools specifically focus on that but I thought I remembered reading one mission that mentioned women on the MSAR (I read that thing multiple times for every school I applied to). You might have to search for that one, but many schools can give you experience with that though some schools may not offer education/clincals/training in more controversial women's stuff (e.g. abortions, sterilizations) due to religious reasons. I guess that will be something for you to consider too.

Oh, also use the LizzyM calculator to see where you might fall in line. Along, with @WedgeDawg 's rating system. These, along with the MSAR, really helped me build a great application list.