• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

hds4216

2+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Year in school: Senior (applying next cycle, some hours are projected based on current and past trends)
Country/state of residence: Wyoming
GPA: 3.87 cGPA, 3.82 sGPA. Physiology major, minors in chemistry and molecular biology. Large state school. GPA majorly brought down by a C in a dual-enrollment trig class my sophomore year of HS. Only C on transcript.
MCAT: 520 (129/131/130/130)
Research: 1500 hours in a neural lab that studies conversion of experiences to long-term memory. One first author pub in a low-impact journal, one sixth author pub in a higher impact, two poster presentations.
Clinical Volunteering:
  • Volunteer at local free clinic helping get patients' weight, vitals, etc: 500 hours
  • Student hospital clerk volunteer and patient helper: 200 hrs
Physician shadowing:
  • 100 hours family medicine, 50 hours internal medicine, 50 hrs dermatologist. 200 hrs total.
Non-clinical volunteering:
  • Volunteer at my city's animal shelter and my college town's animal shelter since freshman year of HS. Only counting college hours, about 600 hours here.
  • Volunteer at Interfaith Good Samaritan, helping run the food pantry to provide services to those in need, as well as run the soup kitchen. 600 hours here as well.
  • School-organized service organization. Worked to run student organizations and assist with on-campus events. (100 hrs)
Extracurricular activities:
  • President of the pre-med club
  • Senator for student government, substantial time commitment. Done all four years, named outstanding first-year senator and then two years later outstanding senator of the year. Worked to promote LGBT-inclusive policies, including establishment of a fund to help those seeking a name-change.
  • Worked on a special project through student government to build a large greenhouse that provided free, organic, healthy fruits and veggies to local food banks and food pantries, as well as hungry students. I managed it for much of its life, but it later became too big a thing for one already busy student and it was handed over to the Botany department.
Employment history:
  • Hospital scribe, paid: 250 hrs (part-time one summer)
  • CNA, paid. 250 hours. (Part-time a different summer.)
Specialty of interest: No idea, keeping options open.
Graduate degrees: None
School list: Harvard, Hopkins, NYU, Cornell, Penn, Columbia, Stanford, Mayo-MN, Pritzker, Feinberg, Sinai, Case, Emory, Brown, Cincinnati, Rochester, UWashington, Colorado, Boston U, Franklin, EVMS, Einstein, Tufts, OHSU, Vandy. Still in flux.
Interest in rural health: No thanks.
Thanks for the input! I'm a white male if that helps.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.