WAMC, Low Stat MD/DO, 511 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drink-more-water

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all

I am a non-traditional applicant in need of some guidance for the 2021 application cycle.

I recently recalculated my AMCAS/AACOMAS GPA using an online calculator, and it is lower than I initially calculated when first submitting my apps. cGPA: 3.48/ sGPA AMCAS: 2.97 (I know...) / sGPA AACOMAS: 3.46 (Large sGPA discrepancy because AACOMAs does not include math, but DOES include Biobehavioral Health courses, which was my major for the latter and better half of my schooling)

**I do show an upward trend, additionally most of my poor grades were earned while dealing with a serious medical issue that required a year of medical leave in the middle of my undergraduate edu. That said, I still assume responsibility for these grades. Additionally, I have a C- in a prerequisite course that I took at a university in high school (talk about past mistake haunting you).

Taking a bit of a DIY post-bacc taking masters-level science courses while I'm working full time at a university. Additionally, planning to retake that C- in gen.chem I (confident I will get an A at this point in my life, MCAT whipped me into shape)

MCAT: 511 (127/127/128/129)

I'm 2 years out from graduating, and have grown alot since college, especially since my poor fresh/soph grades. I also decided I wanted to pursue medical school much later in my college career and therefor lacked the head start on many ECs.

ECs:

3000+ hours Research experience at top 10 research university

500+ clinical hours

100 hours volunteering at community harm reduction clinic

50 hours volunteering with homeless individuals in my community

5 semesters of biology lab TA experience

40 hours shadowing (25 MD, 15 DO)

strong letters of rec including ones from PI and MD I shadowed
--
I've already unfortunately submitted my AMCAS applications (applied broadly to 32 low-tier and state MD schools), however wondering my chances for DO schools, and where best to apply.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, especially @Goro @WedgeDawg @gyngyn

Thank you ◡̈
What are your year by year GPAs?

Where is your state of residence ? Which schools did you apply to ?

I am from PA.

MD schools:
Albany Medical College
Carle Illinois College of Medicine
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Creighton University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine Medical College of Wisconsin
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine New York Medical College
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences
University of Louisville School of Medicine
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine
West Virginia University School of Medicine

DO Schools I am considering:
PCOM
LECOM
OUCOM
MSUCOM
NYITCOM
MarianCOM

What are your year by year GPAs?

For cumulative over time:

F: 2.73 cGPA / 1.92 sGPA AMCAS / 1.82 sGPA AACOMAS
So: 3.21 cGPA / 2.67 sGPA AMCAS / 3.14 sGPA AACOMAS
J: 3.47 cGPA / 2.92 sGPA AMCAS / 3.50 sGPA AACOMAS
S: 3.48 cGPA / 2.97 sGPA AMCAS / 3.45 sGPA AACOMAS

For Individual Years

So: 3.64 cGPA / 3.34 sGPA AMCAS / 3.5 sGPA AACOMAS
J: 3.89 cGPA / 3.64 sGPA AMCAS / 3.87 sGPA AACOMAS
S: 3.52 cGPA / 3.07 sGPA AMCAS / 3.34 sGPA AACOMAS

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
UNECOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
You may receive interviews at some of your PA MD schools. You have 10+ state public schools on your MD list that accept few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state.

I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
UNECOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
You may receive interviews at some of your PA MD schools. You have 10+ state public schools on your MD list that accept few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state.

would you recommend I save my money and skip the secondaries for those schools?

would you recommend I save my money and skip the secondaries for those schools?
Yes, skip the secondaries for these schools:
Carle Illinois College of Medicine
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine New York Medical College
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences
University of Louisville School of Medicine
University of Maryland School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine

Reactions: 1 user
For cumulative over time:

So: 3.21 cGPA / 2.67 sGPA AMCAS / 3.14 sGPA AACOMAS
J: 3.47 cGPA / 2.92 sGPA AMCAS / 3.50 sGPA AACOMAS
S: 3.48 cGPA / 2.97 sGPA AMCAS / 3.45 sGPA AACOMAS

For Individual Years

So: 3.64 cGPA / 3.34 sGPA AMCAS / 3.5 sGPA AACOMAS
J: 3.89 cGPA / 3.64 sGPA AMCAS / 3.87 sGPA AACOMAS
S: 3.52 cGPA / 3.07 sGPA AMCAS / 3.34 sGPA AACOMAS
The drop in your SR year is concerning. You only have a single strong year.

You should have luck with DO schools, but I fear MD is out of reach.

Reactions: 1 users
The drop in your SR year is concerning. You only have a single strong year.

You should have luck with DO schools, but I fear MD is out of reach.

Does AMCAS have credit cut offs for class designations? The class pulling down my senior GPAs could arguably be classified as junior year (by semester) or senior year (by credit volume). Assuming they only care about semester standing my junior GPA would take a small hit, but the senior GPA would then be the greatest, giving me a bonafide upward trend.

Not sure if that matters...my semester standings got a bit complicated when I took a few semesters off but took classes at home intermittenly.

Does AMCAS have credit cut offs for class designations? The class pulling down my senior GPAs could arguably be classified as junior year (by semester) or senior year (by credit volume). Assuming they only care about semester standing my junior GPA would take a small hit, but the senior GPA would then be the greatest, giving me a bonafide upward trend.

Not sure if that matters...my semester standings got a bit complicated when I took a few semesters off but took classes at home intermittenly.
Have no idea

In my experience, they will assign them so that your first three years have approximately 30 credits, and the rest will go into the senior classification. I'd base any assumptions off of credit volume vs term/year.

But, you won't really know until you're verified. Since you already submitted, all you can really do is wait.

AACOMAS will be completely different should you go that route. They reassigned my classes such that my sophomore year only consisted of two quarters (??). Odd, but not a big enough deal to bug them about it.

Hello! I have very similar stats (511, sGPA <3), and am in the process of reapplying. I also have a somewhat botched SMP, though I'll be doing a DIY post-bacc at my local state college.

While I did not have luck in getting any acceptances this past cycle, I was on two waitlists for DO schools, which makes me believe there may be hope for people like us! That being said, with your AACOMAS sGPA being so much higher, I can't help but feel optimistic for you.

Hello! I have very similar stats (511, sGPA <3), and am in the process of reapplying. I also have a somewhat botched SMP, though I'll be doing a DIY post-bacc at my local state college.

While I did not have luck in getting any acceptances this past cycle, I was on two waitlists for DO schools, which makes me believe there may be hope for people like us! That being said, with your AACOMAS sGPA being so much higher, I can't help but feel optimistic for you.
Thank you, sorry to hear you had a rough cycle, but I’m sure you’ll have better luck after a post-bacc!