WAMC - *Need help reducing/finalizing school list!!!*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lickerwhicker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted for anonymity

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it's way too top heavy. I'd remove some top tier schools and add in a few mid range private schools that are out of state friendly.

Reactions: 1 user
3,78 is an average for ucla med school that cool. Try removing the "Maybe" and if you want remove the ones that aren't in California. You should be able to get into about 5 I think. applying to 10 med schools is enough.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not an expert, but I'd say you have a good chance at #18-35. I would actually leave Miami and BU because they are mid-tier schools that fit your professional goals. UVA also has a lot of opportunities for people interested in refugee health/health disparities. I don't know much about UVermont, so I can't comment. If you want to trim, I would remove schools such as Wash U, U Chicago, NYU, Vandy which have median MCATs >520 unless you have a specific reason for applying. I would also check out Tulane given your interest in urban health, it might be a better option than OUWB, although you are quite a bit above their median.

Lol. Do not apply to just 10 schools as a Californian.

For things like diversity/urban & minority health, look at maybe switching out some top places and consider a few lower ranked programs like Iowa (Carver), GWU, Tufts, Tulane, Vermont. Jefferson has a lot going on in those areas. Maybe Rush too.

UCD and UCR have very specific missions so only apply if you meet those (for ex, UCR wants people with connections to Inland Empire and a commitment to severing the underserved).

Of the top tiers you've included, places that strike me offhand as having lots of opportunities in your interests: Harvard, Duke, Sinai, Emory, Columbia, UChicago, JHU

3,78 is an average for ucla med school that cool. Try removing the "Maybe" and if you want remove the ones that aren't in California. You should be able to get into about 5 I think. applying to 10 med schools is enough.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I suggest:

1. Columbia
  2. Duke
  3. Harvard
  4. Johns Hopkins
  5. UPenn
  6. Stanford
  7. Yale
  8. WashU
  9. UChicago
  10. Mt. Sinai
  11. NYU
  12. Northwestern
  13. Cornell
  14. Vandy
  15. Pittsburgh
  16. Case Western
  17. UMichigan
  18. Emory
  19. USC-Keck
  20. Albert Einstein
  21. Rochester
  22. Dartmouth
  23. UVA
  24. UMiami
  25. Hofstra
  26. Boston University
  27. UC Davis
  28. UC Irvine
  29. UC Los Angeles
  30. UC Riverside (ONLY if you're from the Inland Empire)
  31. UC San Diego
  32. UC San Francisco
IF you need to cull more, start in this order: U MI, U Chicago, WashU, U Penn

I suggest:

1. Columbia
  2. Duke
  3. Harvard
  4. Johns Hopkins
  5. UPenn
  6. Stanford
  7. Yale
  8. WashU
  9. UChicago
  10. Mt. Sinai
  11. NYU
  12. Northwestern
  13. Cornell
  14. Vandy
  15. Pittsburgh
  16. Case Western
  17. UMichigan
  18. Emory
  19. USC-Keck
  20. Albert Einstein
  21. Rochester
  22. Dartmouth
  23. UVA
  24. UMiami
  25. Hofstra
  26. Boston University
  27. UC Davis
  28. UC Irvine
  29. UC Los Angeles
  30. UC Riverside (ONLY if you're from the Inland Empire)
  31. UC San Diego
  32. UC San Francisco
IF you need to cull more, start in this order: U MI, U Chicago, WashU, U Penn

Would you recommend that I remove UC Riverside and WashU and replace them with Jefferson and Tulane? I've read that Jefferson and Tulane are "low-yield" schools, so I'm not sure if I should add those to my list or not..

Lol. Do not apply to just 10 schools as a Californian.

For things like diversity/urban & minority health, look at maybe switching out some top places and consider a few lower ranked programs like Iowa (Carver), GWU, Tufts, Tulane, Vermont. Jefferson has a lot going on in those areas. Maybe Rush too.

UCD and UCR have very specific missions so only apply if you meet those (for ex, UCR wants people with connections to Inland Empire and a commitment to severing the underserved).

Of the top tiers you've included, places that strike me offhand as having lots of opportunities in your interests: Harvard, Duke, Sinai, Emory, Columbia, UChicago, JHU

Do you know what UCD's specific mission is? I looked at MSAR but it didn't seem they were super restrictive like UCR?

Would you recommend that I remove UC Riverside and WashU and replace them with Jefferson and Tulane? I've read that Jefferson and Tulane are "low-yield" schools, so I'm not sure if I should add those to my list or not..
According to the wise gyngyn, UCD's mission is to serve the Middle Valley.

Tulane and Jeff would be low yield. U AZ is worth a shot. Also consider Mayo

Of note, I had no connections to Inland Empire/did not attend UCR for undergrad and was accepted to UCR's SOM. However, I did highlight my experiences with underserved communities and my desire to practice in a diverse/underserved area like the IE. I had no connections to Middle Valley and was not even sent a secondary from UCD.

If you really like Jeff and its new curriculum program, then it might fine to send an app...they have a lot of apps but are definitely responsive if you make it clear you are super interested. Just my experience.

Do you know what UCD's specific mission is? I looked at MSAR but it didn't seem they were super restrictive like UCR?