WAMC/School List- 510/ 3.6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NaDaniel

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Demographics
  • white male
  • 27yo
  • TN resident
  • from rural area
Education
  • graduated from state school in 2014
  • B.s. in Biochemistry
Stats
  • GPA 3.6
  • MCAT- 510 (125/128/127/130)
ECs
  • TA for four semesters for A&P, chemistry, and biology (~25hrs/wk)
  • worked retail all through undergrad to pay for school/living expenses (~30hr/wk)
  • tutored chemistry (~5hrs/wk)
  • Clinical volunteer work- RAM Clinic (12 hours), Emergency Department Volunteer (~30 hrs)
  • Environmental Lab work (1 yr at 40hrs/wk)
  • Forensics Lab work (1 yr at 40+hrs/wk)
  • Research assistant in Proteomics lab at Vanderbilt (6 mo at 40hrs/wk- current)
  • Started a contracting company to pay my way through my first few semesters at community college before transferring to state school.
  • Dean's list six semesters

I know I am lacking in ECs and my stats aren't too impressive. I'm hoping that as a non-trad, my life experience will make up for the lack of ECs- maybe this is an erroneous assumption?
What MD programs do I have a shot at?
Thanks!
 
You need to get in a lot more patient contact experience. My own student interviewers would eat you alive.

I recommend:
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rochester
U WV
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons
Quillen
U TN
 
You need to get in a lot more patient contact experience. My own student interviewers would eat you alive.

I recommend:
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rochester
U WV
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons
Quillen
U TN
Thank you so much for the advice. Are you saying that you would strongly advise against applying this cycle?