MD & DO WAMC/School list: GPA 3.75, MCAT: 510

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgeryalltheway

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • GPA: cGPA 3.75; sGPA 3.66
  • MCAT: 510 (130/126/125/129)
  • State of Residency: TX
  • Ethnicity/Race: Asian
  • Undergrad Institution: State university
  • Clinical Experience: 243, still accumulating but already applied with 145 and included projected hours on planned activities.
  • Research: RA at state medical school's neuro lab, name is on a manuscript in progress; working on manuscript at undergrad institution, one poster presentation; former RA in a psych lab
  • Shadowing: 130 - sleep medicine, oculofacial plastics, OBYN, orthopedic surgery, bariatric surgery, general surgery, ENT surgery, plastic surgery
  • NC Volunteering: 100 hours, still accumulating and included on projected hours
  • EC's: violinist in orchestra, worked as a barista at Starbucks for two years, member of alpha epsilon delta - premedical honors society (president May 2018 - May 2019)
  • LOR writers: undergrad dept dean, knows me well and took a class with her; surgeon I shadowed; TA for anatomy who knows me very well; PI for psych lab
  • Applying for EY2019 at: Texas A&M, Texas Tech (both), McGovern, UTSW, UTRGV, Long SOM, UTMB, Baylor, Columbia, Brown, UMich, Oklahoma, UNT. Looking to improve this list, interested in out of state schools as well!

Members don't see this ad.

The OOS schools are far reaches with your MCAT. You should receive several interviews from your Texas schools. For OOS schools the only realistic ones are the newer schools such as Seton Hall, NOVA MD, Quinnipiac, Oakland Beaumont and Western Michigan. Tulane also accepts a few Texas residents.

The OOS schools are far reaches with your MCAT. You should receive several interviews from your Texas schools. For OOS schools the only realistic ones are the newer schools such as Seton Hall, NOVA MD, Quinnipiac, Oakland Beaumont and Western Michigan. Tulane also accepts a few Texas residents.
Do you think I'd fare well with TX schools? Is there anything else I could work on, starting to get pretty nervous since I'm an average/slightly below applicant for TX schools