MD & DO WAMC, school list help? c3.45, s3.28, 509

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firelordazula

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Applying for the 2021-2022 cycle. Long time lurker and it's so surreal to finally be posting my own.

GPA: c3.45, s3.28(U shaped--high start, low middle, high end). This includes my post-bacc year getting a Certificate in Biomedical Science with a 3.83 gpa in 32 credits of science courses.
MCAT: 501-->509 (125/129/128/127)
State: Illinois, ties to Iowa and California
Ethnicity/race: White, Latina
Undergrad: University of Iowa
Clinical experience: Paid: at time of app ~800 hours as an ophthalmic technician. 3 years hospital volunteering, at least 150 hours.
Research: none!!
Shadowing: ~45 hours in the OR, orthopedic peds, family medicine, ED
Non-clinical volunteering: ~75 hours at a senior pet shelter over 3 years, ~40 hours (will be higher at time of app) transcribing genealogical records, ~40 hours orientation leader, 3 years as a diversity pen pal ~20 hrs
Other extracurricular activities: 4 years in a sorority with 5 leadership positions, was on exec of two political clubs (unsure of how to include this on my app without introducing bias). Paid employment: 400 hours for a summer as a day camp counselor. 355 hours over two summers as a day camp counselor for kids with special needs/disabilities. 170 hours as a Lead Instructor at a STEM day camp. 500 hours over two years at an after school program. Hobby wise I’m really into genealogy and love to read (I have a “bookstagram” account I run)
Relevant honors or awards: Dean’s List 7/10 semesters, inducted into two Greek honor societies for academics/leadership.
Anything else not listed you think might be important: I know my GPA and lack of research are the biggest hurdles. I tried to craft my list around schools that don’t have a huge emphasis on research (and threw some in there as a reach). In college, I started out strong and then sophomore and junior year I was incredibly depressed/unhappy at my school and my grades dropped. They picked up a lot senior year and then I did a post-bacc year where I did well. I’m also an idiot and took the MCAT the first time thinking I could wing it like the ACT.
Overall, I think I’m decently competitive for DO. Just throwing in some MD schools too as a reach because why not. I’m worried because I’m such a basic applicant plus low stats and I don’t have a compelling story. My goal is peds, if you can't tell by all my work with kids!
I would greatly appreciate any advice.
Rough Draft School List:
DO: DMU, CCOM, KYCOM, ATSU, KCU, Oklahoma State, Ohio Heritage, UNECOM, NYIT-LI and Jonesboro, Edward Via (3 campuses), MUCOM, Campbell, PCOM
MD: Southern Illinois, MCW, Vermont, Creighton, Oakland, Wright State, TCU UNTHSC, Toledo, U of I Chicago, Eastern Virginia, UA-Tucson, Geisinger, Rosalind Franklin?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you fluent in Spanish ? What is your Hispanic origin (Mexican American, Puerto Rican, etc.)
I would say I'm at an advanced Spanish level since I'm pretty rusty, not fluent. And Argentine

I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Illinois
Southern Illinois
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Iowa
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Wright State
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
For DO schools I suggest these:
CCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
LECOM (all schools)

I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Illinois
Southern Illinois
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Iowa
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Wright State
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
For DO schools I suggest these:
CCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
LECOM (all schools)
Thanks so much for the input! You included some schools there I thought I had absolutely no chance at; I'll have to take another look at them.

Hi @Goro , just trying one more time for your expert opinion that I'd be very appreciative of!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @Goro , just trying one more time for your expert opinion that I'd be very appreciative of!
I'm a bit less sanguine than the learned Faha, mostly due to the MCAT score.

I suggest:
Nova MD

Wake Forest

GWU

VCU

Rush

NYMC

Gtown

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

Miami

MCW

SLU

Wayne State

Tulane

Loyola

Netter

Hackensack Meridian

EVMS

Gtown

TCU/UNT

U ILL

SIU ONLY if you're from southern ILL

Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend ARCOM, RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.

I'm a bit less sanguine than the learned Faha, mostly due to the MCAT score.

I suggest:
Nova MD

Wake Forest

GWU

VCU

Rush

NYMC

Gtown

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

Miami

MCW

SLU

Wayne State

Tulane

Loyola

Netter

Hackensack Meridian

EVMS

Gtown

TCU/UNT

U ILL

SIU ONLY if you're from southern ILL

Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend ARCOM, RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.
Thank you so much!!!!!! I'll look into your suggestions. It's like a rite of passage to get a Goro school-list-lookover :)

Reactions: 1 user