WAMC/ School list help Low GPA High MCAT MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctortrafalgarlaw

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on here. I am currently a senior rn about to graduate undergrad.

Stats/info:
CA resident ORM (inland empire)
Strong ties to Illinois (i think, i have tons of family and have been going there alot of summers/winter breaks since I was a kid, and wouldnt mind living there)
3.4 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA (pretty strong upward trend w the exception of spring/ winter quarter last year when pandemic first hit), averaged 3.8 this year on all upper div sciences if that counts for something
508 MCAT ->519

Clinicals:
330 hours as cope health scholar volunteering thru various departments, will work another 150ish during gap year
100 hours volunteering in international clinic for refugees in Bangladesh (population I am passionate about working with and want to go back and continue thru the years)
30 hours free clinic in IE (was cut off do to COVID but hopefully restarting soon and thru my gap year)
70 hours in free clinics for indigenous population in Guatemala (another population I want to continue working with in future)
40 hours part of free clinic organization on campus for South east Asian immigrants living in Inland empire
just got accepted for clinical internship program where I will be doing a mix of clinic work and health education for low income residents of IE (appprox 250 over gap year)

Non clinical volunteering:
150 hours helping with organization that puts together clothing and food resources for refugees and ships it overseas
130ish hours helping with food distribution for unhoused individuals in my city through mosque
60 hours over the last 8 months working as food delivery driver/food bank helper for feeding with America (did it as a safe way to volunteer during covid), will continue over gap year for about 100-150 more hours projected

Research:
Never became interested until last year
Got accepted for research internship for spring 2020 then 2021 but both were canceled
Just got accepted into professors stem cell research lab who I thought had very interesting work and will be working starting summer ish and throughout gap year

Leadership:

Cofounder of NPO/club on dedicated to helping lower income premed students get resources for MCAT and building a community for it, currently in the works of spearheading new chapter opening of this org on different campus

Department coordinator for COPE program which means that I am in charge of all the volunteers who are working in my department. In charge of training, scheduling, evaluations and helping them navigate thru their rotation for my department.

Shadowing:
60 hours pulmonologist shadowing
45 hours psychiatrist shadowing
30 hours and counting for ophthalmologist (continuing)

Realistic about school list due to GPA and sGPA so I know I forsure need DOs. Also I know that my late interest and participation in research throws me away for a lot of top shot research schools. Please add any MD/DO schools you think I would be good for, or schools I should completely cross off. Thank you SDN gurus!!

Working School list:
  • UCR
  • California Northstate
  • CUSOM
  • Tulane
  • U Miami
  • Rush Medical
  • UIC
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Loyola
  • UCI
  • UC Davis
  • Oakland
  • NYMC
  • Wake Forest

Members don't see this ad.

You could add any of these MD schools:
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
You should also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
DMU-COM
CCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM
PCOM
Touro-NY

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You could add any of these MD schools:
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
You should also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
DMU-COM
CCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM
PCOM
Touro-NY
Thank you very much for your input! Is there any schools I should exclude from my current list?