WAMC? School List Included! Native/3.98/30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSDGM

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All! Applying this upcoming round and I've been working really hard to get an idea of what my school list should be. I've primarily been using the LizzyM score and WARS to guide me. I could use some feedback please :)

Please note that I took the MCAT in January 2015. This means it is the old version, and the number of schools that will still accept is is limited, but I'm happy with the options I have!

-3.98 cGPA
-30 MCAT (11 ver/9 bio/10 phys)
-IA Resident
-Native American
-small private (not well-known) liberal arts college
-extensive clinical experience w/ patient contact (131 hours as NICU volunteer, 120 hours volunteer labor support as a doula, 30 hours sexual assault advocate in ER
-minimal shadowing (20 hrs OBGYN, 8 pediatric endocrinologist/genetic counselors)
-two research experiences (both summer. First one was summer after freshman year of college at a midwestern research facility. Second one was summer after sophomore year at an Ivy League medical school).
-No publications but extensive conference poster presentations, both local and national.
-2 years as a biology tutor in college
-3 leadership positions in college (one in student affairs, one in health promotion, one in Indigenous community on campus)
-what I've done with my gap years (graduated May '15): professional childcare initially. Now I'm a full-time sexual health educator. I also work part-time in adult residential mental health care. Some non-clinical volunteering also.

Here's my possible list of schools I've developed thus far:

-Rutgers
-Boston University*
-George Washington
-Georgetown
-Loyola
-Tufts
-Tulane
-University of Minnesota
-University of South Dakota
-University of Washington
-Central Michigan
-University of Iowa
-Wake Forest
-Oakland
-Quinnipiac
-Toledo
-Indiana
-SUNY Downstate
-Vermont
-University of Wisconsin
-U of Virginia*
-Rochester
-Albert Einstein*
-Emory*
-Vanderbilt*
-Northwestern*
-Michigan
-Yale*
-Duke*

notes:
-I have very close ties to MN and SD.
-* indicates my MCAT is below that school's 10th percentile
-I wasn't exactly sure which level I would be considered under the WARS system. I made this under the assumption that I'd be considered a C level applicant with a LizzyM score of 69.8

-questions:
-any I should remove?
-any I should add? (school must accept old MCAT)
-I received a letter inviting me to apply to apply from Northwestern, so does that mean I should even though my MCAT is lower than their 10th percentile?
-do I need this many or can afford to remove a few?

Members don't see this ad.

It is likely you'll need to retake the MCAT. :(

Scratch U Washington. Not sure about other state schools in terms on OOS friendliness.

Reactions: 1 user
It is likely you'll need to retake the MCAT. :(

Scratch U Washington. Not sure about other state schools in terms on OOS friendliness.

Oh no :(

Members don't see this ad :)
U of WA has a long history of inclusion of Native Peoples.
If you are a registered member of a tribe, and that is your only MCAT you will do fine with that list as long as they accept the old MCAT. I'm pretty sure many of them will not.

Reactions: 2 users
If you are a registered member of a tribe, and that is your only MCAT you will do fine with that list as long as they accept the old MCAT. I'm pretty sure many of them will not.

These schools, according to the AAMC, will all take the old MCAT (they put out an official 2015 MCAT policy list). I'm calling to verify as well though, just to be sure.

Yes, I'm enrolled in a federally-recognized tribe, I have a CDIB, I speak my language (elementary proficiency).

These schools, according to the AAMC, will all take the old MCAT (they put out an official 2015 MCAT policy list). I'm calling to verify as well though, just to be sure.

Yes, I'm enrolled in a federally-recognized tribe, I have a CDIB, I speak my language (elementary proficiency).
You're in business!

Aim for any school you want to, except the NJ schools if you're not a NJ resident. Have ORHS on the list.

I would definitely have ORHS on the list (especially since I have close ties to the state) but they're not accepting the old MCAT anymore.

I'll edit out the NJ schools, thank you! :)

Hi Gyn Gyn,

I was wondering if you know how adcoms verify tribal enrollment? Like on interview day are they going to ask me to show them my tribal ID? I can do that but just trying to prepare for interviews. Here's the post I made looking for help on this issue if you have time to take a look.

Thanks!

Hi Gyn Gyn,

I was wondering if you know how adcoms verify tribal enrollment? Like on interview day are they going to ask me to show them my tribal ID? I can do that but just trying to prepare for interviews. Here's the post I made looking for help on this issue if you have time to take a look.

Thanks!
Have it handy, but don't offer if they don't ask for it.

Reactions: 1 users