(WAMC) What are my chances for matching into Dermatology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I want to think you'll match and probably at a pretty good program. Hard to say how the visa will affect you, and I only say that because I know of great applicants in other competitive fields who didn't match and the only reason seemed to be the visa. I still have a hard time believing you wouldn't though. Just apply a bit more broadly than you otherwise would.

I would also recommend applying to/strongly targeting/favoring programs that have taken residents with work visas. Your stats are otherwise obviously good enough to match.

Members don't see this ad.

Will the DO merger result in it being easier to match into dermatology as a result of the increased spots? I'm a current M3 in bad shape for derm (244, 0 pubs, having trouble getting anything more than a pass for clerkships) and I'm moving towards giving up on my goal of going into derm. However...if competitiveness decreases a bit I could still have a good shot if I take a research year.

Will the DO merger result in it being easier to match into dermatology as a result of the increased spots? I'm a current M3 in bad shape for derm (244, 0 pubs, having trouble getting anything more than a pass for clerkships) and I'm moving towards giving up on my goal of going into derm. However...if competitiveness decreases a bit I could still have a good shot if I take a research year.

I don't think it will make things any easier as there will be more students going for the increased # of spots.

In terms of how competitive you are, I think a research year would definitely be a good idea in your case. Whether or not it is worth it versus opting for another field is obviously a personal decision you'll have to make.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Throwaway account, current 3rd year, just trying to get an idea where I stand. Interested in academics.

School:
Top 10
Step 1: 260
Step 2: Not taken yet.
Class rank: Probably upper 1/3
Clinic: No grades yet, honors in 2 of 2 medicine sub-rotations so far
Research:
22 publications, including submitted papers. 13 first author.
21 abstracts/posters/oral presentations.
None derm related.
Extras: Nothing of note. Intramural sports, working out.

Updated below. Wondering how many programs to apply to. Currently at 60 and wondering if this is too few. No geographic preference.

School: Top 10
Step 2: score available Sep. 6
Class rank: upper 1/3
Clinic: 4/6 honors in core rotations
Research: >55 ERAS publications/presentations/abstracts
Extras: assorted stuff but nothing too noteworthy

Should I take a year for research?
In third year
School- top 20
Step1 - low 260s
Clerkship grades- IDK prob average maybe like 2-3 honors rest HP
Current research- did basic science in m1/2, didn't get papers but got 2 posters, one of the posters resulted from abstract submitted to SID 2017 and resulting poster was presented there, also got an ASA grant for my research; doing clinical research right now potentially 1 first auth paper will be submitted; another case report is in the process (not first auth) but its more of a PRS/ortho one; 2 non derm posters from undergrad in basic science

Your stats look good enough to match without a research year. That being said, if you have a passion for research, a research year never hurts.

Updated below. Wondering how many programs to apply to. Currently at 60 and wondering if this is too few. No geographic preference.

School: Top 10
Step 2: score available Sep. 6
Class rank: upper 1/3
Clinic: 4/6 honors in core rotations
Research: >55 ERAS publications/presentations/abstracts
Extras: assorted stuff but nothing too noteworthy

You should be fine. I would apply to as many as you can (or can afford) and narrow the list down after interviews.

Aside from the financial hit, I don't think students ever regret applying to "too many" programs.

What are many chances to match into derm with a couples match??
I'm a third year medical student with a Step 1 score of 256, GPA all honors (honors-pass-fail), and some volunteering. I haven't done any research before because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and didn't think my Step 1 score was going to be competitive enough for Derm. I'm willing to put in time to get research in during M3 year even if that means coming in on weekends or working late. I am doing a couples match with my husband who plans to do psychiatry. What should I do to improve my chances of matching? Is this even a viable option?

It sounds like you're in good shape for derm if you get research going this year and do well on clerkships. Luckily psychiatry isn't that competitive, so couples matching will be not as stressful as say, derm/ortho or derm/ENT. That said, couples matching always makes things harder. Your best bet would be your home institution, so I would try to get plugged in with them ASAP

What are many chances to match into derm with a couples match??
I'm a third year medical student with a Step 1 score of 256, GPA all honors (honors-pass-fail), and some volunteering. I haven't done any research before because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and didn't think my Step 1 score was going to be competitive enough for Derm. I'm willing to put in time to get research in during M3 year even if that means coming in on weekends or working late. I am doing a couples match with my husband who plans to do psychiatry. What should I do to improve my chances of matching? Is this even a viable option?

As blackblue stated, you are in good shape. I would add some research if you can. I would do all the things normally recommended on this forum. I still recommend applying as broadly as possible but since psychiatry isn't as competitive a match, hopefully couples matching won't be too difficult for you.

Get plenty of research on your resume and make friends with/suck up to, if you have to, your Program Director. My daughter had a 265 Step 1, all honors in her clerkships, finished 1st in her class, but had mimimal research and only got four interviews and DID NOT match. Don't rely on your scores/grades alone. She, like you, didn't decide on derm until mid 3rd year and didn't have enough time to do enough research and, unfortunately, listened to her advisor who told her she was a "strong candidate" for derm with her application. Good luck to you.

Already submitted my apps, just asking to see approximately what I can expect this cycle...

Top 15 medical school
Step 1: 260+
Step 2CK: not taken
Step 2CS: not taken
Grades: Majority H, few HP
AOA: sadly no
Research: Published research from undergrad in unrelated field, not first author on a published paper during med school in different field. Several submitted papers, oral and poster presentations in dermatology. Not taking a year off.

Got involved in derm fairly late and I don't know the quality of my letters.

I applied *very* broadly. Any thought on approximate number of interviews I could expect? I'm already mentally preparing myself to not match and reapply so brutal honesty is appreciated.

Already submitted my apps, just asking to see approximately what I can expect this cycle...

Top 15 medical school
Step 1: 260+
Step 2CK: not taken
Step 2CS: not taken
Grades: Majority H, few HP
AOA: sadly no
Research: Published research from undergrad in unrelated field, not first author on a published paper during med school in different field. Several submitted papers, oral and poster presentations in dermatology. Not taking a year off.

Got involved in derm fairly late and I don't know the quality of my letters.

I applied *very* broadly. Any thought on approximate number of interviews I could expect? I'm already mentally preparing myself to not match and reapply so brutal honesty is appreciated.

You should be in good shape, your stats look fine

Guessing # of interviews is always a difficult game. I always tell people it only take 1 program to match anyway. I wouldn't worry about the # of interviews. Applying broadly helps. I would accept all interviews if feasible. I would rank all programs unless you truly couldn't see yourself spending 3 years there.

You should be in good shape, your stats look fine

Guessing # of interviews is always a difficult game. I always tell people it only take 1 program to match anyway. I wouldn't worry about the # of interviews. Applying broadly helps. I would accept all interviews if feasible. I would rank all programs unless you truly couldn't see yourself spending 3 years there.

Thanks for your thoughts. That's relieving to hear!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm about a quarter of the way through third year. Worried my interest might be too late in the game and that my research isn't derm-related. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Low tier school in Mid-West
Step 1: 253
Step 2: not yet taken
Grades: preclinical mostly H, two HP; clinical one H, one HP so far
Research: 7 papers (5 in a surgical field, 2 in genetics; 5 first author), 9 abstracts (mostly surgical), 2 oral presentations (both surgical); I have 4-5 more papers under review/being written, but nothing derm-related

I'm about a quarter of the way through third year. Worried my interest might be too late in the game and that my research isn't derm-related. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Low tier school in Mid-West
Step 1: 253
Step 2: not yet taken
Grades: preclinical mostly H, two HP; clinical one H, one HP so far
Research: 7 papers (5 in a surgical field, 2 in genetics; 5 first author), 9 abstracts (mostly surgical), 2 oral presentations (both surgical); I have 4-5 more papers under review/being written, but nothing derm-related

Sorry I must have missed this one

You are in good shape. Your Step 1 should get you past most filters. I would definitely work on introducing yourself to your home department (if you have one) and trying to latch onto some research projects

Currently in third year and thinking derm. Will try to get involved in derm research soon. How much research should I actually aim for? And what's the best way to get to know home department? Thanks!

Top 50 medical school
Step 1: Mid 270s
Step 2CK: not taken yet
Grades: All A's preclinical, Clinical: grades aren't out yet
Class rank: Top 5%
AOA: selection hasn't happened yet
Research: 4 small papers, 3 presentations, in unrelated field.
Extra: decent EC's/leadership and volunteering

As much as you can reasonable tackle. Obviously you've done very well for yourself thus far in med school. I would take on as much research as you can without the rest of your school work suffering.

In terms of introducing yourself to the department, do you have an opportunity to rotate as a 3rd year? If not, perhaps shadow? You can always reach out to 4th year students or those who have recently matched to see what would be the best way at your particular home department.

Hello all, long-time lurker and was hoping for some advice. I'm currently a MS3 and my biggest worry is my clinical grades. Thanks for the advice!

Top 15 medical school
Step 1: 263
Step 2: not taken yet
Preclinical: not graded, all passed
Clinical: HP all (my biggest worry is this, but I do have 2 more rotations left)
Research: 6 dermatology papers, and 2 dermatology presentations

Hello all, long-time lurker and was hoping for some advice. I'm currently a MS3 and my biggest worry is my clinical grades. Thanks for the advice!

Top 15 medical school
Step 1: 263
Step 2: not taken yet
Preclinical: not graded, all passed
Clinical: HP all (my biggest worry is this, but I do have 2 more rotations left)
Research: 6 dermatology papers, and 2 dermatology presentations

I think you'll be OK given the rest of your CV

FWIW, I matched despite coming from a lower tier medical school, a lower Step 1 score, and less research. That being said, interviews were few and far in between for me so I would still recommend applying broadly, interviewing everywhere you are offered an interview, and only eliminating programs from your match list if you really cannot see yourself at that program for 3 years

I think you'll be OK given the rest of your CV

FWIW, I matched despite coming from a lower tier medical school, a lower Step 1 score, and less research. That being said, interviews were few and far in between for me so I would still recommend applying broadly, interviewing everywhere you are offered an interview, and only eliminating programs from your match list if you really cannot see yourself at that program for 3 years
Just wondering, how much does school rank count in derm? I've heard for most specialties it really isn't a consideration but from your statement and from others, I gather derm cares more.

Just wondering, how much does school rank count in derm? I've heard for most specialties it really isn't a consideration but from your statement and from others, I gather derm cares more.

I think it depends from program to program.

Anecdotally, those in academics in derm are just as competitive as the students trying to get in. If they're in a position to interview for the residency program, they want students with the best Step scores from the best schools.

I don't think anyone can come out and verify it but I'm certain the "lower tier" nature of my med school combined with my below average (for derm) clinical grades eliminated me from most of the "top tier" derm programs.

I think it depends from program to program.

Anecdotally, those in academics in derm are just as competitive as the students trying to get in. If they're in a position to interview for the residency program, they want students with the best Step scores from the best schools.

I don't think anyone can come out and verify it but I'm certain the "lower tier" nature of my med school combined with my below average (for derm) clinical grades eliminated me from most of the "top tier" derm programs.
Unfortunately, makes sense. I'm sorry, I should have asked in the same post, but I've also heard derm is one of the few specialties that does actually care about your pre-clinical grades. Any insight on that one?

Unfortunately, makes sense. I'm sorry, I should have asked in the same post, but I've also heard derm is one of the few specialties that does actually care about your pre-clinical grades. Any insight on that one?

I'm sure some programs will look that deeply but in general, clinical grades will count more. I think what derm programs are looking for is a pattern of sustained academic excellence. That starts with good pre-clinical grades, progresses into a high Step 1 score, and then good clinical grades.

I've noticed there seems to be a concern (perhaps overly emphasized) about residents passing the certification exam. I guess the thinking is that students who have always been excellent academically are likely to have fewer problems with the certification exam (although in looking at pass rates when I took it, I don't see an issue)

Hey all, currently an M3. Currently struggling between anesthesia v considering derm. Do I have a shot if I do some research (not sure how much I can do at this point. no home derm program, will need to cold e-mail to look for a PI at another institution)? Will I need a gap year? Almost done with 3rd year, have 8 weeks dedicated to research in 4th year.

School: new, unranked MD school (no AOA at my school)
Step 1: 255+
Grades: 3 H, 1 HP so far. my last 2 rotations should be at least HP, hopefully H. will be top quartile of class.
Research: 1 first-author paper (not derm related). 2 poster conferences (not derm related).

any tips?

Last edited:
Hey all, currently an M3. Currently struggling between anesthesia v considering derm. Do I have a shot if I do some research (not sure how much I can do at this point. no home derm program, will need to cold e-mail to look for a PI at another institution)? Will I need a gap year? Almost done with 3rd year, have 8 weeks dedicated to research in 4th year.

School: new, unranked MD school (no AOA at my school)
Step 1: 256
Grades: 3 H (psych, FM, peds), 1 HP (surg) so far. my last 2 rotations should be at least HP, hopefully H in IM, and H OB/GYN. will be top quartile of class.
Research: 1 first-author paper (not derm related). 2 poster conferences (not derm related).

any tips?

I think you should be fine. It certainly hurts to not have a home program but hopefully you've signed up for a few (at least 2) away rotations to get some derm experience and it sounds like you'll have a good 8 weeks for derm research as well.

I don't think you'll need a gap year but it never hurts particularly if you are interested in research

Halfway through 3rd year and clinical grades, being the subjective, often utter BS they are, are hitting me with unlucky after unlucky swings. At mid-tier state school, currently have HPs in Peds and IM (ouch), no Ps or Hs yet. My school however uses a point system to determine "Comprehensive 3rd year honors" through which if you get an H in 1 rotation, and HP in every other one (with no Ps), you will earn that distinction. How would this be viewed by residencies? If I were to earn only 1-2 H (in say, Ob/Gyn + Psych) and rest HPs but had "comprehensive 3rd years honors" distinction?

Halfway through 3rd year and clinical grades, being the subjective, often utter BS they are, are hitting me with unlucky after unlucky swings. At mid-tier state school, currently have HPs in Peds and IM (ouch), no Ps or Hs yet. My school however uses a point system to determine "Comprehensive 3rd year honors" through which if you get an H in 1 rotation, and HP in every other one (with no Ps), you will earn that distinction. How would this be viewed by residencies? If I were to earn only 1-2 H (in say, Ob/Gyn + Psych) and rest HPs but had "comprehensive 3rd years honors" distinction?

It depends where that distinction is listed and how closely they review your application. If someone really has to dig through your transcript or Dean's letter to find it, it may not benefit you as much.

Still, it would be better to have it than not.

I would look to the students who are consistently getting honors and try to figure out what they're doing.

Hi all, wondering what my chances are

Top 40 med school
Step 1: 265+
Clinical Grades: 2H in Peds and Ob-GYN, rest are HP's.
Research: 15 publications, 8 first author; but none in derm.
10+ presentations at national conferences, also not in derm.
Probably 50 total research items.
Extras: Various interspersed scholarship, leadership, and awards
AOA: Depends on how the rest of the year goes.

I have a home derm department, and I would highly consider doing a research year in derm if I have a shot at this specialty. Assuming I don't get AOA, do I still have a shot?

Last edited:

Top 40 med school

I have a home derm department, and I would highly consider doing a research year in derm if I have a shot at this specialty. Assuming I don't get AOA, do I still have a shot?

I don't claim to be an expert, but are you able to get one more honors in clinical grades? I hear some schools have cut-offs of 3 honors

Top 40 med school

I think you definitely have a shot, your stats look great. I don't think a research year is necessary but obviously wouldn't hurt.

What field is all your research in? I would work on adding derm research and have a good answer as to why you are making the transition from interest in a previous field and now into dermatology.

Top 40 school
Clinical grades: H in IM, 3 HP (Peds, Obgyn, FM) so far
Research: One small derm chart review in progress, nothing else however
AOA: No

I was pretty disappointed in the HP trend/lack of AOA and wondering if that would affect my chances. I am deciding between a noncompetitive specialty and derm right now, and would definitely take a research year for derm. Any thoughts?

Top 40 school
Clinical grades: H in IM, 3 HP (Peds, Obgyn, FM) so far
Research: One small derm chart review in progress, nothing else however
AOA: No

I was pretty disappointed in the HP trend/lack of AOA and wondering if that would affect my chances. I am deciding between a noncompetitive specialty and derm right now, and would definitely take a research year for derm. Any thoughts?

It obviously would look better if you had all honors and AOA but I don't see anything that would be seriously damaging to your chances.

I wouldn't pick a specialty based on how competitive it is. I would figure out what you really want to do. Shadow physicians in both fields. Shadow them in an academic setting. Shadow some in a private practice setting. Flip through the journals of both specialties to see if this is material you would enjoy reading.

Once you decide what you want, a research year never hurts and would set you up nicely for derm.

If you decide against derm, you'll have everyone in the "noncompetitive" specialty trying to woo you to come to their program (it's a nice feeling, not one you get often in dermatology. I've had colleague pick other fields because of this)

Good luck!

Thank you for the feedback. I had been leaning towards derm for a while but a core rotation I initially had no strong feelings about took me by surprise and I ended up loving it (neuro). For the past few weeks I’ve been really conflicted. I definitely should try to shadow and gain more exposure before deciding on a research year.

It obviously would look better if you had all honors and AOA but I don't see anything that would be seriously damaging to your chances.

I wouldn't pick a specialty based on how competitive it is. I would figure out what you really want to do. Shadow physicians in both fields. Shadow them in an academic setting. Shadow some in a private practice setting. Flip through the journals of both specialties to see if this is material you would enjoy reading.

Once you decide what you want, a research year never hurts and would set you up nicely for derm.

If you decide against derm, you'll have everyone in the "noncompetitive" specialty trying to woo you to come to their program (it's a nice feeling, not one you get often in dermatology. I've had colleague pick other fields because of this)

Good luck!

Have a great passion for derm. Extensive derm research experience. Unfortunately, no publications yet.

Top 10 med school
Step 1: 227
Step 2: will take this summer (plan on acing it)
Clinical grades: pass and high passes (all positive reviews)

I am willing to go to any program anywhere. What are my chances?
Thanks.

Have a great passion for derm. Extensive derm research experience. Unfortunately, no publications yet.

Top 10 med school

Thanks.

Are you planning on doing a research year? What does your extensive derm research experience entail? Does that mean you've already taken a research year?

I'm sure you already know the big black mark on your CV will be your Step 1 score, to the point it will likely get you caught in many programs' Step 1 filter.

Coming from a top 10 med school will help, I would definitely take Step 2 early and crush it. If you haven't already done so, I think a research year would help, ideally one where you publish prolifically and get connected with some big name faculty members. I would also be sure to apply broadly to get hopefully get your foot in the door at as many places as possible. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Are you planning on doing a research year? What does your extensive derm research experience entail? Does that mean you've already taken a research year?

I'm sure you already know the big black mark on your CV will be your Step 1 score, to the point it will likely get you caught in many programs' Step 1 filter.

Coming from a top 10 med school will help, I would definitely take Step 2 early and crush it. If you haven't already done so, I think a research year would help, ideally one where you publish prolifically and get connected with some big name faculty members. I would also be sure to apply broadly to get hopefully get your foot in the door at as many places as possible. Good luck!

Hi There!

Thank you so much for your quick response! I did one year of basic science research during undergrad and two years prior to starting medical school. Since it was all basic science, none of the projects that I worked on made it to publications. Do you think I will still need to do more research?

I will take step 2 in May and I plan on crushing it.

The program director at my home program knows me very well as I have been involved with lots of things in their department and we have a good relationship. I am worried that my score might scare them off. Do you think I should tell them my score now or just hope for the best and apply?

I just want to be realistic and not to apply to a field that I might have no chance in :( But at the same time, I cannot imagine myself in any other field!!

Hi There!

Thank you so much for your quick response! I did one year of basic science research during undergrad and two years prior to starting medical school. Since it was all basic science, none of the projects that I worked on made it to publications. Do you think I will still need to do more research?

I will take step 2 in May and I plan on crushing it.

The program director at my home program knows me very well as I have been involved with lots of things in their department and we have a good relationship. I am worried that my score might scare them off. Do you think I should tell them my score now or just hope for the best and apply?

I just want to be realistic and not to apply to a field that I might have no chance in :( But at the same time, I cannot imagine myself in any other field!!

I think in your case, taking a year off for derm research would be worthwhile. Research done before medical school typically isn't counted (particularly if it isn't in dermatology)

If you have a good relationship with your home program PD, I think it is worth an honest discussion to see what he/she thinks. Sometimes, having a good relationship with the PD is all you need. I wouldn't count on a guarantee of matching from the PD but if they are upbeat about your chances, you have a good shot of matching at your home program.

If he/she recommends a research year, I would definitely do one. It might be worthwhile to explore that option at your home program since that is statistically the most likely place for you to match.

I don't think you have zero shot but with a Step 1 score that is markedly below average for derm applicants, you are going to need an advantage to catch back up to the pack.

School: Lower tier
Step 1: low 250s
Step 2: n/a
Clinic: So far all honrs
Research: 1 1st author manuscript, 2 poster presentations in non derm related field.

Currently trying to do some Derm research. Would rather not take a year. Do I stand any chance?

Top 10 med school

Thanks.

Hi there,

I don't know if you saw this thread recently, but I think it is very relevant and fits your situation.

Derm hopeful to Just trying to graduate

Basically this student had pretty much your exact same stats, but with a research year and great derm involvement. Despite all that he/she only received 3 interviews total and is very unlikely to match. A 227 Step 1 is likely to get screened out at most places that use a screen. Also the lack of any honors at all, and just passing some rotations doesn't look good. Ideally it's best to HP or H as much as possible.

The point I'm trying to make is that even if you do a research year your odds of becoming a dermatologist are very very low because of your step score. Pedigree only gets you so far, and while a top 10 school has its advantages they only go so far and it's hard to believe that programs will take you over the plethora of candidates with 250+ from top and low tier schools.

I would 100% talk to your PD as soon as possible. He/she will be able to give you an objective assessment.

Reactions: 1 users
Clinic: So far all honors
Research: 1 1st author manuscript, 2 poster presentations in non derm related field.

Currently trying to do some Derm research. Would rather not take a year. Do I stand any chance?

Sorry, half my message deleted. Additional info: Unsure of my ranking, AOA has not yet been decided. Preclinical grades is a mix of honors and HP (some passes in first year). I have leadership, volunteer and all those extras. Thank you so much for your advice & help.

Clinic: So far all honrs

You should be fine. Your Step 1 score should get you past almost all the filters. Seems like you are a strong student clinically. I would agree with trying to add in some derm research during your lighter MS3 and MS4 rotations. And then same advice, apply broadly, take as many interviews as you can, rank all the places you can see yourself (ideally all the places you've interviewed at), and good luck!

Hi,
I've been interested in Dermatology since before starting medical school but it is known to be very competitive so I'm asking what pretty much everyone else is asking. What are my chances?

I am an IMG, my away electives are in Derm, abdominal/thoracic surgery, clinical immunology (all those are in the USA), and then ICU and Family med in Canada. I'm still studying for the USMLEs so at least at the moment there is still potential to get a good score. I'm also set to do an MPH while finishing my STEPs and applying for residency. Any advice? I also have Micro research from my undergrad...if that helps...

I would also like to clarify the path through Derm residency (USA). Do you apply directly into derm or do one year of Internal Med (or surgery, family etc...) and then apply to derm for PGY2?

Hi,
I've been interested in Dermatology since before starting medical school but it is known to be very competitive so I'm asking what pretty much everyone else is asking. What are my chances?

I am an IMG, my away electives are in Derm, abdominal/thoracic surgery, clinical immunology (all those are in the USA), and then ICU and Family med in Canada. I'm still studying for the USMLEs so at least at the moment there is still potential to get a good score. I'm also set to do an MPH while finishing my STEPs and applying for residency. Any advice? I also have Micro research from my undergrad...if that helps...

I would also like to clarify the path through Derm residency (USA). Do you apply directly into derm or do one year of Internal Med (or surgery, family etc...) and then apply to derm for PGY2?

You'll be fighting an uphill battle.

I would ace your USMLEs. You are going to need some research in dermatology as well. I would recommend doing a derm research fellowship. You will want to pick a place that has a history of matching its research fellows and specifically, places that have matched IMG research fellows. I think finding a good mentor who can help guide you with many of these issues (including the matching process detailed below) is going to be very important.

The pathway to matching is that you apply for a PGY1 year (typically in preliminary medicine, preliminary surgery, or a transitional year) and a dermatology residency (PGY2 - 4) at the same time.

You'll be fighting an uphill battle.

I would ace your USMLEs. You are going to need some research in dermatology as well. I would recommend doing a derm research fellowship. You will want to pick a place that has a history of matching its research fellows and specifically, places that have matched IMG research fellows. I think finding a good mentor who can help guide you with many of these issues (including the matching process detailed below) is going to be very important.

The pathway to matching is that you apply for a PGY1 year (typically in preliminary medicine, preliminary surgery, or a transitional year) and a dermatology residency (PGY2 - 4) at the same time.

Thank you for your response! This might be a silly question but would "preliminary surgery" for example, be different than applying to "surgery"? Also just to clarify, if you apply for both the PGY1 year (in one of the above) and PGY2 Dermatology at the same time (lets say in the 2019 match), wouldnt the PGY2 Dermatology require you to be enrolled as a PGY1? or at least only accept you under the condition that you will complete PGY1 in one of the appropriate programs?

Thanks for your help and I hope those questions ^ aren't tooo annoying haha.

Thank you for your response! This might be a silly question but would "preliminary surgery" for example, be different than applying to "surgery"? Also just to clarify, if you apply for both the PGY1 year (in one of the above) and PGY2 Dermatology at the same time (lets say in the 2019 match), wouldnt the PGY2 Dermatology require you to be enrolled as a PGY1? or at least only accept you under the condition that you will complete PGY1 in one of the appropriate programs?

Thanks for your help and I hope those questions ^ aren't tooo annoying haha.

Yes, a preliminary surgery year (PGY1) is different from a categorical surgery position (PGY1 - 5). Again, this is where a mentor is going to be helpful (even if he/she isn't derm specific) as this can be a very confusing maze to navigate.

You apply for both the prelim and the dermatology residency at the same time. If/when you match, the dermatology program is aware that you will have to serve as a PGY1 first before matriculating into their program.

Hi guys,

I could also use your advice.
I’m in my third year, towards the end of clerkships now, and I want to explore dermatology but I’m worried it’s too late given what I’ve read and how outstanding everyone sounds.

I was thinking of going into primary care during my initial years of medical school but then I had my family medicine rotation and loved the derm that walked in the door the most. I also have a family that’s been pretty hard hit by skin cancer so Its gotten personal now.

I’d like to take a derm elective
In 4th year, but I’m not sure it’s possible for me to consider derm seriously. What do you think?

Here are my stats:

Step 1: 249

Research: 1 summer research experience between MS1 and MS2, mostly clinical research ; 2 abstracts and 2 posters (associated with the said abstracts); and 1 lay article publication based off our research in one of the abstracts.

Volunteerism : had a leadership role at my school and organized several volunteer events

Grades: mix of several HP, 1 honor and 2 passes during the first/second year; third year: I passed in internal med and surgery (ouch! I know); honor in family med and psych. Pending for Neuro, ob (completed but waiting on final grades); pending for peds and anesthesia.

I’m really worried abt grades and reasearch. I’m planning on doing an elective early, and based on that trying to do some research over the summer and/or volunteering for skin checks and other events (volunteer work is pretty important to me) .

Also when do people generally take step 2 Cs and CK if they are applying to derm and when do they do away rotations?

Thank you for your help!

Hi guys,

I could also use your advice.
I’m in my third year, towards the end of clerkships now, and I want to explore dermatology but I’m worried it’s too late given what I’ve read and how outstanding everyone sounds.

I was thinking of going into primary care during my initial years of medical school but then I had my family medicine rotation and loved the derm that walked in the door the most. I also have a family that’s been pretty hard hit by skin cancer so Its gotten personal now.

I’d like to take a derm elective
In 4th year, but I’m not sure it’s possible for me to consider derm seriously. What do you think?

Here are my stats:

Step 1: 249

Research: 1 summer research experience between MS1 and MS2, mostly clinical research ; 2 abstracts and 2 posters (associated with the said abstracts); and 1 lay article publication based off our research in one of the abstracts.

Volunteerism : had a leadership role at my school and organized several volunteer events

Grades: mix of several HP, 1 honor and 2 passes during the first/second year; third year: I passed in internal med and surgery (ouch! I know); honor in family med and psych. Pending for Neuro, ob (completed but waiting on final grades); pending for peds and anesthesia.

I’m really worried abt grades and reasearch. I’m planning on doing an elective early, and based on that trying to do some research over the summer and/or volunteering for skin checks and other events (volunteer work is pretty important to me) .

Also when do people generally take step 2 Cs and CK if they are applying to derm and when do they do away rotations?

Thank you for your help!

It's not too late at all, your Step 1 is fine. Clinical grades could be better but nothing you can do at this point other than improve on your remaining rotations.

I think if you are interested, it would be worth shadowing as soon as possible. If it's something you still like after shadowing, then yes, I would work immediately to start with some research (introduce yourself to your home department if you have one)

You'll also want to work on away rotations soon as well. I believe there is a system called VSAS in place now so you'll want to talk with your home department, current students interested in derm, and your academic dean to see what the timing is for applying for visiting rotations through VSAS.

If you are a good taker and feel confident you'll improve on your Step 1 score, I would knock out Step 2 CS and CK as soon as you can. Your Step 1 score is good enough where if you don't feel confident, you can certainly delay it as long as your school will allow. There are more programs now requiring Step 2 CK before they'll review your application so you'll need to peruse the list of programs you plan to apply to, see if they require CK, and adjust accordingly.

Good luck!

It's not too late at all, your Step 1 is fine. Clinical grades could be better but nothing you can do at this point other than improve on your remaining rotations.

I think if you are interested, it would be worth shadowing as soon as possible. If it's something you still like after shadowing, then yes, I would work immediately to start with some research (introduce yourself to your home department if you have one)

You'll also want to work on away rotations soon as well. I believe there is a system called VSAS in place now so you'll want to talk with your home department, current students interested in derm, and your academic dean to see what the timing is for applying for visiting rotations through VSAS.

If you are a good taker and feel confident you'll improve on your Step 1 score, I would knock out Step 2 CS and CK as soon as you can. Your Step 1 score is good enough where if you don't feel confident, you can certainly delay it as long as your school will allow. There are more programs now requiring Step 2 CK before they'll review your application so you'll need to peruse the list of programs you plan to apply to, see if they require CK, and adjust accordingly.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for your good advice and encouragement!

Hi everyone,
I’ve enjoyed reading through this thread and was hoping I could get some advice for myself. I am not 100% certain, but I’ve recently decided that I would like to pursue dermatology. I have already participated in a 2 week elective course early in my M3 year and am scheduled to do a 4 week at my home institution in July.

Top 40 medical school
Step 1: 250
Step 2: haven’t taken
Class percentile: top 25%
AOA: invited to apply, still waiting to hear back

Clinical Grades: Our school does top 15% H, the next 25% HP
H in neuro, inpatient IM/outpatient IM, OBGYN, Family Med and my elective courses
HP in psych, surgery
P in Peds

Research: Currently have 2 first author pubs (both surgical oncology), 2 submitted second author pubs (1 surg onc and 1 basic science onc). Also have 2 oral presentations, 2 poster presentations, and 4 abstracts (these presentations/abstracts are from the publications above), and one research award given to the top research project at my school. I am currently working on another surgical onc paper that should yield me a 1st or 2nd author pub. Additionally, I recently met with my home department and will be getting involved in a dermatology project in the upcoming months.

Extracurricular- decent volunteering/leadership/involvement within the medical school

I am planning to do a home rotation, a home research rotation, and 2 aways. Given my stats, what are my chances? I understand my scores aren’t extremely high and would like to know which schools (top 10, top 20, etc) are out of reach for me. Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Been wanting to do derm for a while now, do you think I have a shot?

Currently an M3
School: mid-rank US MD
Step 1: 251
Step 2: have not taken yet
Pre-clinical grades: 3.8 GPA (All honors except for 2 HP)
Clinical grades: 1 H, 3 HP so far
Research: 4 published articles (1 first author), 1 book chapter, a 5-figure research grant (the resulting research will be submitted for publication in a few weeks and I am 1st author), 2 pending case reports, and currently working on another project.
Hopefully will have a total of 9 solid pubs by summer time (all derm-related).

I also have volunteering and extracurriculars.