*~*WAMC (what are my chances?) Megathread*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
a. Schools you are applying to..NOT SURE I WILL YET
b. Overall GPA...3.1
c. Math/Science GPA 2.57 :(
d. GPA in last one or two school years 3.1
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) HAVEN'T GOT YET...TOOK IT IN JUNE
f. Pharmacy experience obtained 1 YEAR
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) STILL DECIDING IF I SHOULD APPLY

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs 3 FROM PHARMACISTS 1 FROM A PROFESSOR
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience 4 YEARS HOSPITAL (NOT PHARMACY RELATED)
j. Self-perception of interview skills DECENT....WORKING ON IT
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality DECENT...WORKING ON IT

SO I HAVE 3 MORE COURSES TO TAKE TILL IM DONE WITH PRE-REQS...AND IM RETAKING 2 CLASSES TO BOOST MY GPA UP SOMEWHAT....FAILED 2 CLASSES :( SO DO I EVEN HAVE A CHANCE OF GETTING AN INTERVIEW OR SHOULD I NOT EVEN BOTHER APPLYING.

I ALSO HAVE ASSOC. OF SCIENCE DEGREE....

I think you have a chance if you get a good score on the PCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

a. Schools you are applying to..NOT SURE I WILL YET
b. Overall GPA...3.1
c. Math/Science GPA 2.57 :(
d. GPA in last one or two school years 3.1
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) HAVEN'T GOT YET...TOOK IT IN JUNE
f. Pharmacy experience obtained 1 YEAR
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) STILL DECIDING IF I SHOULD APPLY

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs 3 FROM PHARMACISTS 1 FROM A PROFESSOR
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience 4 YEARS HOSPITAL (NOT PHARMACY RELATED)
j. Self-perception of interview skills DECENT....WORKING ON IT
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality DECENT...WORKING ON IT

SO I HAVE 3 MORE COURSES TO TAKE TILL IM DONE WITH PRE-REQS...AND IM RETAKING 2 CLASSES TO BOOST MY GPA UP SOMEWHAT....FAILED 2 CLASSES :( SO DO I EVEN HAVE A CHANCE OF GETTING AN INTERVIEW OR SHOULD I NOT EVEN BOTHER APPLYING.

I ALSO HAVE ASSOC. OF SCIENCE DEGREE....

In your case I would finish a bachelor's before applying. With your GPA(s), minimal EC's/jobs/etc., no bachelor's, and self admittedly only an OK PS and interviewing skills - unless you have incredible PCAT scores and some other things that aren't listed here - your chances at getting in this cycle are slim. Better to save the time, money, and stress and concentrate on undergraduate studies a bit longer. You will also probably do better on the PCAT after another year of school.

A few other things to consider -
An associate's doesn't really count for much, especially at this level, a bachelor's will.
Many times it is better to take (harder) upper division classes and do well in them than to re-take courses you did poorly in. Among other things, it shows that you can handle the harder coursework.
Some schools require LOR's from multiple professors - almost always at least one science professor, sometimes a 2nd, and sometimes a non science professor.
Three LOR's from medical professionals is overkill - even 2 is pushing it. Better to have a bit more variety in who your LOR writers are.
With EC's I've always gone with quality over quantity, but at least one other activity would be good. Don't forget though, that you want to be able to show how you made a difference - or at least were a regular participant - in any EC's you list.

I am biochemistry major with a chemistry minor at Virginia tech university
a. Schools you are applying to: VCU, Shenandoah, Applachian, and Tennessee.
b. Overall GPA - 3.60
c. Math/Science GPA - 3.4
d. GPA in last one or two school years - 3.76
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) - reading 69, verbal 58, bio 77, math 77, chemistry 96, comp - 84
f. Pharmacy experience obtained - over 200 hours of pharmacy tech and assistant volunteering at free clinic
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) - not yet
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs - 3, one employer, one amazing professor, and one pharmacist
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience - biochemistry club volunteering at elementary schools and such
j. Self-perception of interview skills - good speaker, very personable
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality - haven't finished yet, hoping to do well, discussing why pharmacy, what steps i have taken, and what steps i will take..

thanks for insight!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Schools Madison, Concordia, Minnesota, Creighton
GPA 3.5 Science / Math 3.6
PCAT--August
Shadowing Pharmacist
Clinical--2 year Nursing Assistant, 2 years Spanish Translator Medical/Dental clinic, Pharmacology Lab Research Assistant Medical Brigade--Honduras Assisted Pharmacists
Physician Shadowing 2 years.
Applications submitted
LOR--Science Prof, Pharmacist, Spanish Prof, Pre Pharm Advisor
Interview Skills --good perception
Personal Statement is good, not exceptional

I am a college athlete and I will be graduating in May from a private school with a BS in Molecular and Biochemistry. I'd like to know my chances as of now...I'm not thrilled with my PCAT score, but I would prefer to not retake it because my semesters are extremely busy playing a sport and attending classes.

a. Schools you are applying to

Nova Southeastern :xf:
possibly: UF and LECOM BRADENTON....but I really want to go to NSU
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
d. GPA in last one or two school years
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
69% composite
(84 bio, 45 verbal :eek: I think I bubbled wrong?!, 68 chem, 59 quant, 75 reading)
f. Pharmacy experience obtained
worked in pharmacy 5 months
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
within the next 2 weeks
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
4 LORS (1 pharmacist, 3 profs)
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
college athlete therefore I do not have a lot of free time
j. Self-perception of interview skills
strong interview skills, not worried if I get an interview I think I will get accepted!
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
excellent statement, explain circumstances for grades, and use my background as a college athlete as an advantage over other applicants

THANKS! :)

Ohio State, Michigan State, Tuoro, California Northstate, USC, UHilo, Midwestern (both Glendale and Downers Grove), North Carolina, and prob a few more

b. Overall GPA
3.48 (i did my first two years at a cal state and it was around a 3.8 and then my last two years at usc where it was around a 3.3)

c. Math/Science GPA

95 composite

73 verbal
96 biology
86 reading comp
92 quantitative
95 chem
3/3 writing

i have worked at Pavilions as a pharmacy tech since June 09

submitted my pharmcas app today actually (except they still havent got all my transcripts or my letters of rec yet) so hopefully those will arrive in the next few days
havent started my supplementals - but am planning on getting most done this week.

3 total
2 from pharmacists - they will both be super strong
and then 1 from my physio professor this one will also be strong (but the only issue is this is from a community college professor because I have been out of usc for a year and didnt form a close enough relationship with any of my teachers there, so i am worried this will effect me)

worked as a student athletic trainer for 3 years; health tutor to kids; worked on research project; hospital volunteer for about 4 years

i think i am strong in this aspect, many others have echoed this sentiment

i always stress about writing and never think it is good enough; but, i will go with it is probably a little above average

thanks for any input =)

I was kind of hesitant to do this, but what the hay...

Schools you are applying to
UT, Texas Tech, UH, OU, Midwestern (AZ and IL), maybe a couple more?

Overall GPA 2.94
Math/Science GPA
~2.7
GPA in last one or two school years
~2.9

Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
82 composite

Pharmacy experience obtained
Full-time tech at a hospital since last November

Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
in progress

Number of LORs and source of LORs
3: professor, supervisor (pharmacist), another pharmacist I work with

Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
-Member of the pre-pharmacy club at UT for two years
-Volunteered at a children's hospital in Austin (not in the pharmacy though)
-Worked way too long at a grocery store during undergrad (customer service, cashier, bookkeeping), 20-30 hrs per week.
-Just started a volunteering gig with the DFW Humane Society

Self-perception of interview skills
I'm pretty confident that if I actually get the chance to interview somewhere, I have a good shot of getting into the program. My social GPA is a 4.0 ;)

Overall impression of personal statement quality

I'm still working on it. I think my writing is solid, but I'm having some people look over it and give me some constructive criticism before I finally submit it. Admittedly, some of my GPA comes from having a great time while living in Austin, but I also had to deal with some family circumstances my senior year when it really took a hit, and of course I talk about that in my essay.

Also... I'm taking a couple classes that'll transfer back to UT and finish my BA in Biology there. +1 for degree :)

So there you have it. A rough sketch of my application is in your hands, SDN. Do I stand a chance of getting an interview at one of my schools or are they just gonna look at my GPA and toss my app in the trash?

PS - If I end up going to OU, I'll always bleed burnt orange. :horns:

a. Schools you are applying to: UNC-CH, Cambell, U of Michigan, U of Charleston, Massachusetts College of Pharm at Worcester, U of Maryland, Shenandoah Univ (I applied last year but didn't get into any schools)

b. Overall GPA: 2.457 :(:(:(

d. GPA in last one school years: I'm currently making A in Human physiology which I'm retaking; planning to retake Anatomy, Microbiology, Organic I and II, and Physics II, Economics to get A's; planning to take public speaking. All these by spring 2011. :(

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Last time I took it:composite was 51 percentile; Planning to take again on Oct.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: worked for a month at the pharmacy in a community clinic; currently looking for pharmacies to volunteer

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): not yet submitted..but UNC-CH's deadline is coming up (Nov. 1)

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: planning to get 3 (from a pharmacist, 2 professors. I've never worked before so can't get one from an employeer unless I get a job this year)

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Not much..

:( eeeh..I don't have a good profile..Please give me some advices
I wouldn't give up hope, because I got into a good pharmacy school with a sub 3.0 gpa. In fact I was closer to the minimum. It depends on what the pool looks like that year, and if they feel you would make a good pharmacists. They're are some people with 4.0s who I wouldn't trust with my prescriptions. If you love the profession, you'll find a way.

a. University of Florida, Nova, UGA
b. 3.6
c. 3.5
d. same
e. Verb 86
Bio 76
RC 86
QA 80
Chem 85
Comp 87
Writing 3/3
f. Volunteered this summer at a hospital pharmacy
g. Applying to UF by Feb 1 for Fall 11

a. Schools you are applying to: Pitt, UPS, UT-Austin, Jefferson so far
b. Overall GPA: 3.31
c. Math/Science GPA: n/a, mostly Bs, B+s
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.31
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Verbal-89, Bio-98, RC-94, Quant -98, Chem-93, Writing - 3.0
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: One year pharmacy clerk
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Still working on the application. How early should I submit it?

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 - two pharmacists (staff pharmacist, and the director of pharmacy) and a physiology professor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience - social chair in a small Christian group. That's about it in college.
j. Self-perception of interview skills - I need a lot of practice, I think. I am really nervous about the interview. well, if I even get there.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I am an okay writer, not great. I have a feeling my statement will probably blend with the other ones.

Thank you guys a lot!

i posted in a thread like this before but i'm thinking of applying to two more schools and wanna know what my chances are with the new additions. one more thing i've retaken several classes and did better with all my retakes

a. Schools you are applying to: south university and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Pharmacy
b. Overall GPA: 3.2
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.3
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.5
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 53 composite :(
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: volunteering at hospital and shadowing a pharmacist
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): i wanna submit my app early so around november or december of 2010.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: hopefully 4. A&P professor, volunteer organizer at hospital, orgo professor, soup kitchen coordinator.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: volunteer at soup kitchen, work at target and worked at mcdonalds.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: fair
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: ok. i gotta keep working on it

Hey guys
I need your help.

Bachelor of Science Management/Accounting
I am a nontraditional student, started out in biology years ago, transferred 70 hours to another school to complete my degree, complete 8/15/10! Worked in accounting for 4 years, however, now is the time to follow my dream!
4 pre-reqs left, will not be done until March. Taking PCAT in Oct. applying to just about ALL 3 year pharmd programs this fall
Taking Physics,Chem II, Calculus in the fall 2010
Organic II in the spring
Overall GPA = 3.0 will be a little higher when I transfer my English course
Science so far = 3.0
I have taken lots of upper level bio courses (don't forget I started out in biology)
Interested in LECOM

YIKES!:scared:WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?

Members don't see this ad :)
a. Schools you are applying to:
University of Tennessee, ETSU, Auburn, UGA, Mercer, Massachusetts - Boston, Midwestern - Chicago
b. Overall GPA: 3.16
c. Math/Science GPA: 2.9
d. GPA in last one or two school years:
3.62 last semester and 3.14 the semester before
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite):
June 2010:
Verbal:69
Reading Comprehension: 40 :(
Quantitative: 69
Biology: 80
Chemistry: 85
Composite: 73
f. Pharmacy experience obtained:
9 months of retail pharmacy experience as a technician and a semester of shadowing pharmacists
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary):
Early Decision to University of Tennessee and submission to all other schools in October if not accepted to UT. I plan on completing secondaries as soon as I receive them.
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs:
4 LORs:
2 pharmacists
1 science professor
1 business professor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience:
About 4 extracurricular activities, including 4 years of volunteer work, participated in a cultural organization, a business organization, and a social organization. I also held positions in most of them.
j. Self-perception of interview skills:
I can be very personable, but get nervous during interviews at first
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality:
I am currently writing my personal statement. I do not think it is anything life changing, but it definitely addresses all the points well.

If you have any advice or comments please let me know! Thanks :)

My only concern about my stats is that I was not a pre - pharmacy major when I first entered college. I took some classes that do not apply to the pre - pharm curriculum and I did horrible in them. But besides those course all of my required pre-pharm grades are great. Will schools hold those grades against me?
Palm Beach Atlantic, South University, Mercer, LECOM, East Tennessee, Wingate, Xavier, Lipscomb, Nova Southeastern
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
Taking on Aug 21st
Shadowing for a short amount of time due to a heavy course load that semester
August 30th - few weeks
3) physics professor - pharmaceutical sales employee - old human resource manager - possibly one more from my chemistry teacher
400+
I have good interview skills
Still working on it but I think it will be good.

I am biochemistry major with a chemistry minor at Virginia tech university
a. Schools you are applying to: VCU, Shenandoah, Applachian, and Tennessee.
b. Overall GPA - 3.60
c. Math/Science GPA - 3.4
d. GPA in last one or two school years - 3.76
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) - reading 69, verbal 58, bio 77, math 77, chemistry 96, comp - 84
f. Pharmacy experience obtained - over 200 hours of pharmacy tech and assistant volunteering at free clinic
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) - not yet
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs - 3, one employer, one amazing professor, and one pharmacist
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience - biochemistry club volunteering at elementary schools and such
j. Self-perception of interview skills - good speaker, very personable
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality - haven't finished yet, hoping to do well, discussing why pharmacy, what steps i have taken, and what steps i will take..

thanks for insight!

Solid application right here. I doubt you will have any trouble getting an interview.

Schools Madison, Concordia, Minnesota, Creighton
GPA 3.5 Science / Math 3.6
PCAT--August
Shadowing Pharmacist
Clinical--2 year Nursing Assistant, 2 years Spanish Translator Medical/Dental clinic, Pharmacology Lab Research Assistant Medical Brigade--Honduras Assisted Pharmacists
Physician Shadowing 2 years.
Applications submitted
LOR--Science Prof, Pharmacist, Spanish Prof, Pre Pharm Advisor
Interview Skills --good perception
Personal Statement is good, not exceptional

You can improve your personal statement by having it proofread. You have a good application and you have some unique experiences that definitely stand out. Get a decent score on the PCAT and you will probably get some interviews at those schools, if not all. Remember that Minnesota is rolling admissions and they have quite a few supplemental essays. It might be wise to get started on those.

I am a college athlete and I will be graduating in May from a private school with a BS in Molecular and Biochemistry. I'd like to know my chances as of now...I'm not thrilled with my PCAT score, but I would prefer to not retake it because my semesters are extremely busy playing a sport and attending classes.

Nova Southeastern :xf:
possibly: UF and LECOM BRADENTON....but I really want to go to NSU
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
69% composite
(84 bio, 45 verbal :eek: I think I bubbled wrong?!, 68 chem, 59 quant, 75 reading)
worked in pharmacy 5 months
within the next 2 weeks
4 LORS (1 pharmacist, 3 profs)
college athlete therefore I do not have a lot of free time
strong interview skills, not worried if I get an interview I think I will get accepted!
excellent statement, explain circumstances for grades, and use my background as a college athlete as an advantage over other applicants

THANKS! :)

Without much experience or EC's and a PCAT composite of 69, your application is average at best. Your personal statement needs to be good. I don't know that much about Nova, though.

UF for sure (far and away my first choice), and possibly Minnesota and North Carolina.

b. Overall GPA

3.71 undergraduate, 3.93 graduate (MPH in epidemiology). (I completed my B.Sc. in Materials Science and Engineering magna cum laude in May 2009).

c. Math/Science GPA

99 composite, 94 bio, 96 chem, 90 rc, 95 verbal, 99 quantitative, 3/3 writing

Have volunteered in a hospital central pharmacy for three months (about 35 hours). I also work as a research assistant on a clinical trial, writing SAS code, editing protocol documents, and doing literature reviews on the drug itself. (Does the latter count?)

Should have it out within the week.

Three; one MD (my boss on the clinical trial), one PhD epidemiology professor, and one eminent scholar pharmacy professor. (Does this count as a pharmacist since he has a Pharm.D? I want to be a research pharmacist in clinical trials/drug utilization research/pharmacoepidemiology, so I figured this was most applicable.)

Materials Science research assistant 2005-2009. Volunteered at the local hospital emergency room, Habitat for Humanity, and a local Hospice.

I'm a little worried about this. When I get nervous, I "look nervous" (or so I've been told in mock interviews) which I'm told is frowned upon.

I'm pleased with it thus far.

Any answers to my questions about my recommendations and interview skills would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Have they been giving you good feedback for your mock interviews? Your app is great but without a solid interview to close the deal, you're going to have some trouble. I don't know that much about the LOR requirement (the pharmacist one); whether or not they want a "practicing pharmacist" is up to the institution. It is probably best to inquire about this at each school.

UT autin is my first choice. If not that then Umaryland or UIC or Rutgers or SUNY buffalo, Texas Tech U.

b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
3.21 (its about the same because I am a molecular and cellular biology major)
3.6 - and they are mostly sciences classes. I do have an overall upward trend because I didnt horrible freshman year.

Verbal - 77
Bio - 80
RC - 99
QA - 92
chem - 96
composite - 97

writing - 3/3

shadowed an independent pharmacists for about a week =( not sure if I can get a LOR from him though

I plan to submit my application by mid september or latest oct. 1st. i am still working on my personal statement.

I also have 3 LORs two from professors whose classes I had taken and a third from a professor I did biochemistry research for, for almost two years.

I am really worried that my lack of pharmacy experience and low gpa will hurt me a lot to go to these top ranked schools. Will my high pcat score be able to overcome this?

Ohio State, Michigan State, Tuoro, California Northstate, USC, UHilo, Midwestern (both Glendale and Downers Grove), North Carolina, and prob a few more

b. Overall GPA
3.48 (i did my first two years at a cal state and it was around a 3.8 and then my last two years at usc where it was around a 3.3)

c. Math/Science GPA

95 composite

73 verbal
96 biology
86 reading comp
92 quantitative
95 chem
3/3 writing

submitted my pharmcas app today actually (except they still havent got all my transcripts or my letters of rec yet) so hopefully those will arrive in the next few days
havent started my supplementals - but am planning on getting most done this week.

3 total
and then 1 from my physio professor this one will also be strong (but the only issue is this is from a community college professor because I have been out of usc for a year and didnt form a close enough relationship with any of my teachers there, so i am worried this will effect me)

worked as a student athletic trainer for 3 years; health tutor to kids; worked on research project; hospital volunteer for about 4 years

i always stress about writing and never think it is good enough; but, i will go with it is probably a little above average

thanks for any input =)

Your grades are average but you make up for it with your PCAT score. I doubt the CC LOR will have any negative effect since you will have 2 additional (strong) LORs to make up for it. Seems like you've been committed to your EC's for quite some time which is a good thing. With a strong interview, I don't forsee any issue.

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA

95 composite

73 verbal
96 biology
86 reading comp
92 quantitative
95 chem
3/3 writing

3 total

thanks for any input =)

Lol...Michigan State does not have a pharmacy school. Do you realize this?

Otherwise, looks good...

a. Schools you are applying to: USN only
b. Overall GPA -
c. Math/Science GPA -
between 3.5 and 3.6 - just got an A- in Org Chem so prob around 3.56 or so.
d. GPA in last one or two school years -
not sure - got my degree in 1997
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) -
91 Composite: 77 Chem, 73 QA, 84 Bio, 92 Verbal and 96 RC, 3/3 writing.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained -
will be volunteering at the military pharmacy this fall 4-8 hours per week.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) -
will be submitting this fall - USN is non pharmcas and the app is not out yet.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs -
USN does not want any.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience -
haven't worked in a while, am a SAHM to four kids - did medical transcription at last job, this past year was a Cub Scout leader (for my son's den) and Cookie Manager (for my daughter's GS Brownie troop)
j. Self-perception of interview skills -
OK to good. People say I am articulate but I definitely interview better with friendly interviewers than with ones that try to throw me off on purpose - I get self-conscious. I plan on practicing replies to as many questions/topics I can think of.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality -
haven't written one yet. I am waiting for the app from USN to see what they ask. I am a good writer though, usually get high praise for my writing style in critical/persuasive work. I am not sure how well that will translate to writing a personal statement.

Furthermore...

I still have Org Chem 2 to take and won't be taking it until Spring, at a community college because the local university is several times more expensive than the community college, and I am paying out of pocket. All other USN pre-reqs are done, though I plan on taking a 4 cr Pathophysiology course and re-taking (as a refresher) Microbiology in the spring.I think my stats are OK but wondering if anyone familiar with USN has any advice/impressions for me. I *think* I can get an interview and I am of the understanding the interview is HUGE for USN, so I need to really wow them in the interview. Is that correct?

Schools I am applying to
UI-Chicago, LECOM, UMKC, Kentucky, Sullivan
Overall GPA
2.82 (after fall it will be around 3.0)
Math/Science GPA
2.8 (after fall 2010 it'll be around a 2.95)
Working for Walgreens as a technician for almost a year now, will be nationally certified in a few months
Date of application submission
This Fall/Early winter
Number of LORs and source of LORs-
I will have at least 3. 1 from my pharmacy manager, 1 from my organic chemistry professor, and possibly my anatomy and physiology professor, along with one from my advisor
Apart of 3 muslim youth group on campus and involved in the community. Have volunteered at Red Cross and a few homeless shelters
Fairly good with interviews, initially nervous but I typically warm up and adjust easily
Was considering majoring in english before pharmacy, so it shouldn't be too bad :)

I initially did fail organic due to explainable family circumstances, I retook it and got a C. Im debating taking it a third time or not. However in organic 2 I have a b+/a- right now. Also, I will be taking the PCAT in October.

a. Schools you are applying to: all the california schools (don't want to take pcats)
b. Overall GPA -
~3.5
c. Math/Science GPA - ~3.5
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) - not planning on taking the pcats
f. Pharmacy experience obtained - 100+ hours
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) - will be submitting this fall

3 (pharmacist, vice chairman of chemistry/biochemistry department of my school, and my lab research mentor)
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience - I tutored english and math for K-12 for a year. I am currently a tutor for chemistry and biology at a community college and have been for 1 and 1/2 years. I also have been a TA for chemistry and biology labs for 3 semesters.
j. Self-perception of interview skills - decent. I'm quick on my feet when answering questions. I can keep calm. I just hope my anxiety doesn't get the best of me in the interview, if i do get one.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality - not finished with it, but so far it's pretty good. I plan on getting someone to help me with it.

I did pretty bad my on my first couple of semesters in college. My more recent semesters' GPA were all above 3.7. Also I plan on receiving my BS in biochemistry at the end of spring 2011.
Thank you for any feedback

Hey! Thanks for all the people responding to these questions!!

UGA and Mercer

b. Overall GPA

~3.12

c. Math/Science GPA

UGA Prereq GPA is 3.12, Math/Sci GPA is ~3.3 (I've done better in chemistry than in Bio)

~3.3

85 composite, 80 bio, 91 chem, 90 rc, 79 verbal, 48 quantitative (I got an A in Calculus - which I'm hoping will offset this a bit), 3/3 writing

Part time work at a hospital pharmacy for ~9 months

Aug 4 (for both apps and supplemental)

two excellent ones from long time employers, 1 very good one (just guessing) from DOP at hospital pharmacy that I worked at (Mercer grad)
I'm going to add one from my OChem professor that I'm doing research with this year once he gets to know me better

BBA in Business Management
Volunteer for special needs kids baseball games (just started that this year), business experience for about 7 years, NFL cheerleader 3 years, Resident assistant 1 year, Membership Director of my sorority (as well as some other less significant sorority leadership positions), AFL cheerleader 1 season, College dance team 1 year

I interview well. People tell me I'm articulate fairly often. I'm friendly and confident and eager.

It rocks! lol UGA has its own application. They don't get to see my personal statement. I wish they did.

I feel pretty good about acceptances. I'm just worried about my average gpa and PCAT. What do you guys think? It's hard coming on here because quite a few of you have excellent GPAs and PCAT scores!! It makes me a little worried. :oops:

Last edited:

Nova Southwestern U, Iowa University, Midwestern U, UIC, Southern university of Edwardsville, Rosalind Franklin University, College of Notre Dame in Maryland,

b. Overall GPA

~3.09

c. Math/Science GPA

~3.2

Take the exam in august 2010

None

Aug 12

I volunteer at private practice for 2 years. I have volunteer in hospital setting for a year. I have also been research assistant. I presented my work at the national level in neuroscience. I have went to neuroscience convention and present work at the graduate level.

I interview well.

the Personal statement is strong.

UCSD, LLU
b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA
None required
None
Pending

2 podiatrists, 1 pharmacist and 1 spiritual leader
Practicing podiatrist for the past 2 years, completed 3 year surgical residency
Excellent
Not horrible, but not amazing

Last edited:
a. Schools you are applying to- University of Utah, Idaho State University, University of Colorado-Denver, University of Oklahoma, and University of Southern Nevada. (Utah resident)
b. Overall GPA-
c. Math/Science GPA- 3.20
d. GPA in last one or two school years- 3.5
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)- 67 composite, retaking in October (must do better in math!)
f. Pharmacy experience obtained- 2 years retail pharmacy technician
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)- the end of August
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs- 3 solid LOR's (pharmacy manager, pharmacist, and biochemistry professor)
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience- Vice-president of pre-pharmacy club and physiology lab instructor/tutor
j. Self-perception of interview skills- Need to do a mock interview, but I believe I will do well
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality- In progress- talks about hardships I've overcame from losing my mother to cancer at a young age

Schools you are applying to: Wayne State University , Ferris,

Overall GPA: 3.8
( retook micro and anatomy and got As the second time because i got a B- in both the first time. what also worries me is i have a WF in a non required 2 credit reading class because my prof. said she didn't get me withdrawal request on time) i know this will affect my application not hopefully i won't get rejected because of this.

Pharmacy experience obtained: 3 years pharmacy tech.

Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) fall 2010

Number of LORs and source of LORs: 2. one from an employee and other from a prof.

Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: i have close to 1,000 hrs of volunteering at church and hospital

thanks for the advice

Last edited:
a. Schools you are applying to: I'm not sure where to apply to. Can you give me opinions on what schools might accept me?
b. Overall GPA: 3.3
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.3
d. GPA in last one or two school years: ~3.6
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): I take the PCAT in October
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: recently hired in a pharmacy, in the process of being certified
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Fall 2010
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs- Three. 2 pharmacists and 1 Professor.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: customer service desk at grocery store for 3 years. chemistry research for one summer. hospital volunteer for 6 months working in pharmacy and patient care (4-6 hours per week). habitat for humanity volunteer for almost 2 years
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I believe I am good at interviewing but I definitely will take advantage of mock interviews.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: good but I will have it revised by the writing center professor at my college

Last edited:
pitt, tju, cinci, maryland, temple, st johns fisher (listed from top choice to last choice)
b. Overall GPA
3.2ish
c. Math/Science GPA
3.35 or more
65% composite from Oct 09. I forget my stats except chem was 77% and Math was 65%. Reading comp was lowest in the mid 50s. I'm retaking on August 21st in hopes of at least 70% composite
3 years, over 1500 hrs retail
currently shadowing in a hospital
doing pharm research this fall semester (+ hopefully longer)
within the next 3-4 weeks
3 LORS (1 pharmacist, 1 ochem professor, 1 pharmacy law professor)..i might get another professor, too. the references i already have are quite good--I've gotten nice feedback from their LORS before
coaching youth soccer and wrestling, former-service based club president, intramurals, teaching assistant, a few clubs, non-rx research
strong interview skills. i've fared very well in the past
not finished yet. last yr's was decent. i'll prob talk about my experiences/goals within pharmacy and my drive since i'm re-applying

Thanks guys! Good luck to everyone. Feel free to private message me too if I wasn't clear on anything.

Last edited:
I feel pretty good about acceptances. I'm just worried about my average gpa and PCAT. What do you guys think? It's hard coming on here because quite a few of you have excellent GPAs and PCAT scores!! It makes me a little worried. :oops:

I know what you mean. It's easy to feel unsure on here when a lot of people are posting things like, "Hey I have a 3.9 GPA and 95th percentile PCAT... do you think they'll wanna interview me???"

I'm in the same boat as you, except your GPA and PCAT are a little better and your extra-curriculars are WAY better. You got this. :)

If you look at statistics - for schools that are the "hardest" to get into - average GPA and PCAT for accepted students are just over 3.6 and 80. For most schools it's more like somewhere between 3.3 and 3.4 and low to mid 70's.
Also people with low(er) PCAT scores and no bachelor's degree will normally have GPA's scrutinized a bit more or at least be held to a higher standard when it comes to GPA. Plenty of other things can make up for a GPA that is below average but above minimum - while a high GPA cannot (easily) make up for certain other deficiencies (like come across as a total idiot in an interview or negative LOR's - among other things).

Texas Southern
b. Overall GPA - (3.33 UT) (3.7 Community College)
c. Math/Science GPA ~3.33. all my science classes are B's though...
d. GPA in last one or two school years - first year in college, but I have 81 hours complete.
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) - taking it in January 2011
f. Pharmacy experience obtained- Pharmacy Aide (retail 50 hrs)
deadline is February 15 2011
3 - 1. Pharmacist 2. chem Professor 3. advisor/professor
Chemistry Tutor, Service Chair for Fraternity, Pre-Pharm Association
j. Self-perception of interview skills - okay..average. not that great
Working on it with English profs

I know what you mean. It's easy to feel unsure on here when a lot of people are posting things like, "Hey I have a 3.9 GPA and 95th percentile PCAT... do you think they'll wanna interview me???"

I'm in the same boat as you, except your GPA and PCAT are a little better and your extra-curriculars are WAY better. You got this. :)

lauradiddle - I like you!! :D You just made my day. :) Hopefully we've BOTH got this!

Schools I am applying to
Overall GPA
Math/Science GPA
Working for Walgreens as a technician for almost a year now, will be nationally certified in a few months
This Fall/Early winter
I will have at least 3. 1 from my pharmacy manager, 1 from my organic chemistry professor, and possibly my anatomy and physiology professor, along with one from my advisor
Apart of 3 muslim youth group on campus and involved in the community. Have volunteered at Red Cross and a few homeless shelters
Fairly good with interviews, initially nervous but I typically warm up and adjust easily
Was considering majoring in english before pharmacy, so it shouldn't be too bad :)

I initially did fail organic due to explainable family circumstances, I retook it and got a C. Im debating taking it a third time or not. However in organic 2 I have a b+/a- right now. Also, I will be taking the PCAT in October.

Hate to blow your bubble but UMKC is NOT accepting any new students this application year. sorry.

"The School of Pharmacy will not admit Pharm.D. students on the UMKC or MU Columbia satellite campuses in Fall 2011. The first 4 year Pharm.D. class admitted to UMKC and to the MU satellite programs will be in Fall 2012. This will include 123 students total, 95 students admitted to the KC campus and 28 students admitted to the MU campus. Specific information regarding changes in admission criteria, pre-requisites and curriculum will be available later this year."
http://pharmacy.umkc.edu/admissions/pharmd/requirements/college/index.html

Texas Southern
b. Overall GPA - (3.33 UT) (3.7 Community College)
c. Math/Science GPA ~3.33. all my science classes are B's though...
d. GPA in last one or two school years - first year in college, but I have 81 hours complete.
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) - taking it in January 2011
f. Pharmacy experience obtained- Pharmacy Aide (retail 50 hrs)
deadline is February 15 2011
3 - 1. Pharmacist 2. chem Professor 3. advisor/professor
Chemistry Tutor, Service Chair for Fraternity, Pre-Pharm Association
j. Self-perception of interview skills - okay..average. not that great
Working on it with English profs
Just an fyi, some schools even though their application deadline is in February they might not take a January exam date because it can take upwards of 6 weeks to get the results. I'd look more into that. I'd also highly suggest signing up for the October test date.

a. Schools you are applying to: USN only
b. Overall GPA -
c. Math/Science GPA -
between 3.5 and 3.6 - just got an A- in Org Chem so prob around 3.56 or so.
not sure - got my degree in 1997
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) -
91 Composite: 77 Chem, 73 QA, 84 Bio, 92 Verbal and 96 RC, 3/3 writing.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained -
will be volunteering at the military pharmacy this fall 4-8 hours per week.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) -
will be submitting this fall - USN is non pharmcas and the app is not out yet.

USN does not want any.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience -
haven't worked in a while, am a SAHM to four kids - did medical transcription at last job, this past year was a Cub Scout leader (for my son's den) and Cookie Manager (for my daughter's GS Brownie troop)
j. Self-perception of interview skills -
OK to good. People say I am articulate but I definitely interview better with friendly interviewers than with ones that try to throw me off on purpose - I get self-conscious. I plan on practicing replies to as many questions/topics I can think of.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality -
haven't written one yet. I am waiting for the app from USN to see what they ask. I am a good writer though, usually get high praise for my writing style in critical/persuasive work. I am not sure how well that will translate to writing a personal statement.

Furthermore...

I still have Org Chem 2 to take and won't be taking it until Spring, at a community college because the local university is several times more expensive than the community college, and I am paying out of pocket. All other USN pre-reqs are done, though I plan on taking a 4 cr Pathophysiology course and re-taking (as a refresher) Microbiology in the spring.I think my stats are OK but wondering if anyone familiar with USN has any advice/impressions for me. I *think* I can get an interview and I am of the understanding the interview is HUGE for USN, so I need to really wow them in the interview. Is that correct?

I think your stats are very good. I am not familiar with USN, but if I were you I would do a little research on their site. Find out their demographics and look at the interview questions on SDN! They are helpful! Also look at pharm apps.com (or something like that). If I were you I wold apply to more than one school. You might not get into USN. Stranger things have happened, even with your grades/app. I see no reason to put all of your eggs into one basket.

Schools I am applying to
Overall GPA
Math/Science GPA
This Fall/Early winter

Well, your GPA is not great by any means...Most schools I have seen have a minimum of 3.0 I think, it may maybe a 2.8. I would most certainly check into that. You do have pharmacy experience, which is a plus, as well as volunteer work. I dont think you will get into UK, just going to be straight up with you. The other schools I am not familiar with. What you need is an excellent statement. Have everyone read it, professors, pharmacists, peers, etc. You are also going to need at good PCAT score. I'm thinking 70+ at least. I would go on the PCAT website and buy their practice exams. They are very indicative of the actual test in my opinion. Good luck!

Hey! Thanks for all the people responding to these questions!!

UGA and Mercer

b. Overall GPA

~3.12

c. Math/Science GPA

UGA Prereq GPA is 3.12, Math/Sci GPA is ~3.3 (I've done better in chemistry than in Bio)

~3.3

85 composite, 80 bio, 91 chem, 90 rc, 79 verbal, 48 quantitative (I got an A in Calculus - which I'm hoping will offset this a bit), 3/3 writing

Part time work at a hospital pharmacy for ~9 months

Aug 4 (for both apps and supplemental)

two excellent ones from long time employers, 1 very good one (just guessing) from DOP at hospital pharmacy that I worked at (Mercer grad)
I'm going to add one from my OChem professor that I'm doing research with this year once he gets to know me better

BBA in Business Management
Volunteer for special needs kids baseball games (just started that this year), business experience for about 7 years, NFL cheerleader 3 years, Resident assistant 1 year, Membership Director of my sorority (as well as some other less significant sorority leadership positions), AFL cheerleader 1 season, College dance team 1 year

I interview well. People tell me I'm articulate fairly often. I'm friendly and confident and eager.

It rocks! lol UGA has its own application. They don't get to see my personal statement. I wish they did.

I feel confident you will get in. An 85 composite is very good. Your GPA is little low, but your extracurriculars make up for it. Apply to more schools if you want. Samford is down your way. It can't hurt to keep your options open!

( retook micro and anatomy and got As the second time because i got a B- in both the first time. what also worries me is i have a WF in a non required 2 credit reading class because my prof. said she didn't get me withdrawal request on time) i know this will affect my application not hopefully i won't get rejected because of this.

Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 85 comp.

Number of LORs and source of LORs: 2. one from an employee and other from a prof.

Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: i have close to 1,000 hrs of volunteering at church and hospital

thanks for the advice

I think your stats are very good. I am not familiar with USN, but if I were you I would do a little research on their site. Find out their demographics and look at the interview questions on SDN! They are helpful! Also look at pharm apps.com (or something like that). If I were you I wold apply to more than one school. You might not get into USN. Stranger things have happened, even with your grades/app. I see no reason to put all of your eggs into one basket.

Thanks so much for your feedback. i appreciate you taking the time to answer.

My only other option would be the Creighton distance program, unfortunately. I can't move from Las Vegas. Otherwise, I'd be looking into what I need to do to apply at UNM as well.

Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 85 comp.

thanks for the advice

I don't think you'll have a problem getting in.

Overall GPA: 3.55
Math/Science GPA: 3.7
Electives GPA: 3.4

PCAT: not taking it bc applying to skools that dont require it
Volunteer: a little but got a pharmcist said that he is gonna look out for me

I am not going to take my PCAT this year but i am applying at Pharmacy Schools that dont require PCAT, such as: 2 schools in boston (worchester and manchester), Purdue, sum other schools

1. So can anyone tell wut i need to do to get accepted into a Pharmacy School??
2. Wut schools should i apply to that will make my grades competitive to those schools?
3. Does anyone know other schools that dont require PCAT besides the one i mentioned??
4. Wuts the chances of me getting into a pharmacy skool?

Thanks so much for your feedback PharmD eighty7! That helps to ease my nerves a bit. :)

A friend of mine graduated from UNC with a degree in Chemistry/Biology. She wants to know her chances of getting into pharmacy school with a 3.0 GPA. She told me she is planning on applying to 7 pharmacy schools. She wants to know people's opinion on this forum.

I personally told her that pharmacy is saturated and to look at another profession, but she seems set on pharmacy. :rolleyes:

I told her, her chances are good b/c pharmacy school is not hard to get into like medical school...but she is still worried and wants to know her chances of getting in from this forum.

Do people even have to reapply for pharmacy school? lol...I mean with all these new schools popping up the number of qualified individuals seems less than the number of seats available.

I have two failed classes, organic chemistry 2 and human physiology, I retook both and made a C in both classes. My current overall GPA is a 3.09.

Here are my grades:
Biol 1 C
Biol 1 Lab B
Biol 2 C+ (retook made D to a C+)
Biol 2 Lab B
Chem 1 B+
Chem 1 lab B
Chem 2 A-
Chem 2 Lab B
Organic Chem 1 C
Organic Chem lab 1 B
Organic Chem 2 C (retook made F to a C)
Organic Chem 2 lab C
Human Phiysiology C (retook made F to a C)
Physical Chemistry C+
Microbiology C+
Microbiology lab C
Psychology A
English 1 A
English 2 A
Physics 1 B
Physics 1 Lab B
Physics C-
Physics 2 lab A-
Calculus 1 B
Calculus 2 A
Statics A
History 1 A
History 2 A
Art History A
Philosophy B+
Political Science 1 A
Political Science 2 A
Biochemistry 1 B
Biochemistry 1 Lab B
Genetics B

I have not took my PCAT yet, plan on taking it in September 2010. I am planning on apply for the 2010/2011 cycle.
I will start volunteering with a pharmacist now.
Please let me know if you guys have any insight.
If you were once in a similar situation and where you got accepted, what your GPA (both prerequirements and overall GPA) was and your PCAT score.

Thank You

I can image your friend's disappointment when she inquired you, a pharmacy student, regarding her chances of getting in and only being told that pharmacy is saturated. :laugh:

First off, any extracurriculars or volunteer experience?
What 7 schools?

Based on GPA alone (3.0), I say her chances are low to average. For what it's worth, average GPA of applicants in my area is 3.3-3.5

PCAT in September? ...... :eek::confused:
Your chances depend on which school you will apply and also depends on your PCAT score too.
Your grades somehow make me think you should better to major in Art/Social Science than Natural Science. ;)
Are you really interested in science and pharmacy, may I ask?