*~*WAMC (what are my chances?) Megathread*~*

Started by rxlea
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Heh, well I don't see any reason to not apply, insecure or not. If she gets rejected, she gets rejected. If not, then great. She won't know until she does.

UoP requires microbiol, so she doesn't meet the requirements for that school. But she does for UCSF, so I am going to try my best to get her to apply to that school!

I feel so bad that I didn't get to apply to UNC or UCSF b/c I miss the deadline (I applied in Jan) so anyone would be crazy to NOT apply to these two schools if they didn't miss the deadline!
 
No, it's all anecdotal. "Actual data" would be BLS and Pharmacy Manpower Services, both of which report that there is current growth of pharmacy and that pharmacy is not saturated.

You PROMISE?
 
No, it's all anecdotal. "Actual data" would be BLS and Pharmacy Manpower Services, both of which report that there is current growth of pharmacy and that pharmacy is not saturated.

pharmacy is a pretty small world, so when we hear that the field is saturated from people like Z who oversee multiple hospitals it's more than simply "anecdotal" at that point. remember, this saturation happened so quickly that it may be difficult for BLS and pharmacy manpower analyses to keep up with the times. just sayin'...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
pharmacy is a pretty small world, so when we hear that the field is saturated from people like Z who oversee multiple hospitals it's more than simply "anecdotal" at that point. remember, this saturation happened so quickly that it may be difficult for BLS and pharmacy manpower analyses to keep up with the times. just sayin'...

It's anecdotal, whether it's Z or it's Mikey. Without hard data, it's anecdote by definition.

It's easy for someone to hop on a forum and spread doom and gloom. In fact, people more often spread doom and gloom on internet forums than they do roses and cheers. As human beings, that's how we're hard wired. We don't even like reading compliments half the time. The only news is bad news.

I will agree that this "saturation" seemed to occur over night. However, I volunteer actively in a huge market (SF Bay Area) and we just hired a fresh clin.pharm and have 2 new residents along with 3 student interns (2x UOP 1x UCSF) and it's only one hospital in a massive conglomerate of county facilities. Ruh roh, anecdote again.

It's not as bad as it looks on the interwebz. We have no choice but to submit to hard data and empiricism, particularly as scientists...

@SHC - You're hot, so it doesn't matter for you. You'll get a job no matter what. 😉
 
It's anecdotal, whether it's Z or it's Mikey. Without hard data, it's anecdote by definition.

It's easy for someone to hop on a forum and spread doom and gloom. In fact, people more often spread doom and gloom on internet forums than they do roses and cheers. As human beings, that's how we're hard wired. We don't even like reading compliments half the time. The only news is bad news.

I will agree that this "saturation" seemed to occur over night. However, I volunteer actively in a huge market (SF Bay Area) and we just hired a fresh clin.pharm and have 2 new residents along with 3 student interns (2x UOP 1x UCSF) and it's only one hospital in a massive conglomerate of county facilities. Ruh roh, anecdote again.

It's not as bad as it looks on the interwebz. We have no choice but to submit to hard data and empiricism, particularly as scientists...

@SHC - You're hot, so it doesn't matter for you. You'll get a job no matter what. 😉

GMDC%20TOUCHE.jpg
 
pharmacy is a pretty small world, so when we hear that the field is saturated from people like Z who oversee multiple hospitals it's more than simply "anecdotal" at that point. remember, this saturation happened so quickly that it may be difficult for BLS and pharmacy manpower analyses to keep up with the times. just sayin'...


Even Z admits that "saturation" in pharmacy is regional... and he's even said that just because a field is "saturated" doesn't mean you won't be able to get a job...
 
Even Z admits that "saturation" in pharmacy is regional... and he's even said that just because a field is "saturated" doesn't mean you won't be able to get a job...

i never said saturation = you won't be able to get a job.
 
It's anecdotal, whether it's Z or it's Mikey. Without hard data, it's anecdote by definition.

It's easy for someone to hop on a forum and spread doom and gloom. In fact, people more often spread doom and gloom on internet forums than they do roses and cheers. As human beings, that's how we're hard wired. We don't even like reading compliments half the time. The only news is bad news.

I will agree that this "saturation" seemed to occur over night. However, I volunteer actively in a huge market (SF Bay Area) and we just hired a fresh clin.pharm and have 2 new residents along with 3 student interns (2x UOP 1x UCSF) and it's only one hospital in a massive conglomerate of county facilities. Ruh roh, anecdote again.

It's not as bad as it looks on the interwebz. We have no choice but to submit to hard data and empiricism, particularly as scientists...

@SHC - You're hot, so it doesn't matter for you. You'll get a job no matter what. 😉

Just be a little leary when you say the data is anecdotal and that actual data shows growth. Bare in mind that the data is usually 3-4 years behind reality. If I recall correctly even Manpower and BLS data is not for the current and in some cases not even the prior year. Based on what I've been hearing for LA area the hospitals are pretty much cutting back positions or maintaining the status quo, not much growth. There is some, but not enough to meet the supply. Most of the pharmacies that are hiring interns are just replacing their recent grads. The new residents probably replaced the exiting residents. The number of resident positions did increase last year, but certainly not near as much as the number of applicants did. Pretty much retail isn't hiring everyone who can fog a mirror. Those who aren't getting hired into retail are flooding into hospital or residency, putting a strain on those areas as well. At our 4th year career day in April, many prospective employers said there were out to support their interests in USC, but were not in actuality hiring. So yes, it's anecdotal now, but when the stats come out in two years, these threads will be a lot more telling, though certainly even more worthless.
 
a. Schools you are applying to
UF (alma mater), USF, Nova Southeastern, U-Maryland, U-Kentucky, U-Colorado, UNC-CH, Appalachian College
b. Overall GPA
3.46, all prereqs finished
c. Math/Science GPA
3.18
d. GPA in last one or two school years
3.5ish (estimate)
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
78% composite from Oct 09. Took it cold, no studying and barely any sleep because I decided to do 4 years of undergrad instead of 3 and it was too late to cancel. Taking it August 21 and studied hard this time. Got 80-99% range so far on my first 2 Pearson practice tests, and taking the 3rd one today.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained
Over 1 year pharmacy technician at CVS in the district training store. Average 20 hours a week during the school year and 35 hours a week during the summer.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
I was planning to apply when I got my PCAT scores back. Should I send in my PharmCAS before then so I can start doing my secondaries? Feedback please 😕
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
3 LORS (1 from our District Pharmacy Manager at CVS, 1 from a science professor of which I have taken 2 of his courses (behavioral neuroscience and psychobiology of hearing), and 1 from my cello professor (known me personally going on 4 years now).
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
-Summer high school science camp 3 summers in a row
-E-Board 2 years of Cellorando (cello ensemble, member going on 4 years)
-Phi Sigma Pi National Co-Ed Honor Fraternity (Awards and Scholarship Chair Spring 2010, Dance Marathon Delegate 2010-2011 *huge responsibility*)
-University of Orchestra all 4 years
-Teaching Assistant for Medical Bioethics Fall 2010
-Ronald McDonald House volunteer 2008-current
-Medical research experience Jan 08-Aug 08
-University performances (in the pit): West Side Story, Sunday in the Park with George, Tosca
j. Self-perception of interview skills
I feel I have strong communication skills. I have a strong passion in my extra curriculars and can talk about them extensively, as well as hold a good conversation with anyone.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
Still working on it. Trying to find a good hook for the beginning, but it will be average at least - hopefully.
 
At the end of the summer i will be starting my senior year and application processes for pharmacy schools. There is a lot that I am uncertain about and would hope to hear advice or any sincere suggestions you have to help me become a more competitive applicant.

I am certainly applying to University of washington and Washington state University.
I want to apply to Pharmacy schools in CALIFORNIA...but I know that I will not be able to finish a BA degree by the time of matriculation--

-does anyone know of any cali schools that I would have a chance getting into?

-is there anything i can do to better my chances?

Here are my grades/stats🙁planning to still take biochem series)
-Two strong LORs, have good relationships with them
-worked in a pharmacy for 1.5 years (it closed last dec)
-will hold Pre-pharmacy club president position for 2010-2011
-shadowed a transplant pharmacist at hospital
-taking PCAT in OCT (guessing i may get about 60-70..hopefully higher)
Cum GPA:3.4




I feel a bit behind on my application progress...Currently I have only been studying for the PCAT..which is super hard.
I bought Dr. Collins but i am unsure how similar these questions are to the actual tests today.
I haven't yet written my personal statement for started applying to schools yet....when do applicants usually start applying?

thanks for any advice!
 
Last edited:
Some early birds finish their applications by the end of August, BUT you are by no means too late to apply. I submitted my PharmCAS in mid Oct and suppl apps several days before each of them were due. The earliest deadline for the schools you want to apply is in November. So, start writing your essays before you get too busy with your course works.

As far as your stats go, they are OK. It would have been better if your science grades were better, but since your ECs are pretty good, you will probably get some interview invites from CA schools. Just make sure to write good essays.

Good luck!
 
Last edited:
Not all schools in California require a degree, except UCSD and USC.

As long as you finish your pre-req for pharmacy (referred to pharmcas) prior to matriculation, then you should be good to apply to california schools.
 
Hey everyone,

I am applying this fall (here in the next 2-3 months) and I am so nervous about acceptance. I want you all to be as brutally honest as possible and let me know if I'm just dreamin' big or if I actually have a shot. I am in my 4th year at Texas State University and I am a healthcare administration major. I am really interested in that field, but I am hoping for nothing more than acceptance to any school this year. I am only applying to two schools THIS year (Texas Southern University and Texas A&M in Kingsville) for two reasons. A. I kind of just want to throw my app out there to see what responses I get from those schools, and B. I have a feeling that those are the only two schools in TX that I have a chance of possibly getting in to. If I am accepted, that's when I will have to make the decision whether I want to just go to pharmacy school, or if I want to stay an extra year and finish my degree (I have about 12 more classes and mapped out the remainder, so I'd be graduating in May 2012). I'm really stressed about my future, so maybe some of y'all have some wise advice to offer.


a. Schools you are applying to:

(I would love to end up in Houston, hence why I'm applying to TSU, but like I said... I'm willing to go anywhere that will accept me)

This fall: Texas Southern University and Texas A&M Kingsville

Next fall (if not accepted, or if I decide to raise my GPA with my major classes and stay another year): Texas Southern University, University of Houston (although I feel like my chances of getting in there are very slim), Texas Tech (Amarillo or Abilene), and Texas A&M Kingsville.

b. Overall GPA: 2.95

c. Math/Science GPA: 3.0 (a rough estimate)

d. GPA in last one or two school years: ~3.5

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): I am taking it for the first time in two days (8/21/10), but I am pretty nervous. Although I have been studying for the past 4 months, I have yet to take the following classes:

Physics
Organismal Bio
Microbio
Organic Chem 2
Anatomy & Phys
Genetics
Calculus (I have taken Pre-Cal though)
..and a few others that wont be tested on the PCAT.


f. Pharmacy experience obtained: I am currently Nationally and State certified as a Pharmacy technician, I worked with Walgreens for about a year and I just got a new job at Wal-Mart pharmacy about a month ago; I plan to hold this position until I leave San Marcos.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): I am hoping to have the two applications for this year sent in by October (or as soon as my PCAT scores are in).... the sooner the better, I am hoping.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: I have none so far, but the following sources have told me that they would love to write an excellent LOR whenever I ask for it:
1Pharmacy Manager/Pharmacist at Walgreens
2 Pharmacists from Walgreens
1 Pharmacy Manager/Pharmacist from Wal-Mart
1Pharmacy manager from a small pharmacy here
1Chemistry Professor
2Healthcare Administration professors
1Boyfriend's mom, CEO of a hospital

So, I feel like I've got that part pretty much covered. Do y'all think it would be annoying to send in more than the required number or LORs?


i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I've got a whole lot of volunteer work racked up over the years that I can't write down right now, but includes: Many mission trips/church functions, volunteering at Goodwill, Bobcat Build (a volunteer project we do at TX State every year).... etc.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I feel that I am an outgoing person and I feel that I can answer most questions on the spot, although if given an interview I will definitely spend a good amount of time preparing so that my interview will hopefully make up for my GPS/PCAT scores.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I haven't written one yet, but I am a pretty decent writer and I've got a lot of help in that department, so I'm not too worried.

l. Extracurricular: (I didn't see a spot for this, but perhaps I skipped over it accidentally)
I am currently Vice President of the Pre-Pharmacy Society, if I stay another year, I will have President for sure.
Member of:
Biochemistry Society
Chemistry Club
Student Volunteer Connections
I am going to be the TA and teach a Chemistry lab this semester, but probably not next semester due to the ridiculous load I've got in classes in hopes to finish up my Science/Math Pre-reqs. Although I will have already turned in my application, so teaching a lab next semester won't really matter much.


This is all I can think if at the moment, but y'all let me know what you think. I am open to any suggestions and advice. Thank you all so much for your time and good luck to everyone applying this year!!
 
a. Schools you are applying to:
(7 schools, still thinking about Pacific in Oregon)
Western, USC, UCSD, UCSF, UOP, Touro, Northstate

b. Overall GPA: 3.903

c. Math/Science GPA: gonna wait for pharmcas to calculate, maybe 3.7-3.8

d. GPA in last one or two school years: fluctuated, ~3.9

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): not taking it.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: ~ have been volunteering at a pharmacy 5 months (6 hrs weekly)

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Waiting for pharmcas to grant my fee waiver then submit maybe next week.

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 2 from (biochem profs), 1 from org.chem, and 1 from a registered pharmacist.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: part-time job, secretary & treasurer for a cultural club (active for 3 yrs), and member of biochem club, and prepharm club.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: can get quite nervous initially, need A LOT OF PRACTICE!!

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: worked on it for the last 2+ months. I'm pretty confident.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and have tried to read through a few threads. Can you help me out with these stats? I graduated in Microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics (yeah, it's one major) and Spanish minor at UCLA last spring.

a. Schools you are applying to
UCSF, UCSD (California resident), Western, USC, Touro, U. of Maryland, Shenandoah, Temple, Massachusetts College at Worcester, U. of Washington, Chicago college, Nova Southeastern, LECOM
b. Overall GPA: 3.30
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.21
My GPA isn't that great, and while my pharm. prereq GPA is around 3.5-3.6 (bio, chem, physics, math, etc), I've been doing really poorly in my upper division microbio. classes (mostly B, B- and C+)
d. GPA in last one or two school years 3.04
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Verbal 69, Biology 94, Reading 93, Quantitative 88, Chemistry 77, Composite 91.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: have been and am still working at Rite Aid for 2 years.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): submitted PharmCAS just today! August 23, and will submit supplemental during the next week.

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 letters, one from a science professor, one from a Spanish professor, one from my pharmacist. They're all good to great.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: tutoring, volunteering at health fairs, outreach programs for 2 years.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I can be a bit shy in the beginning, but once I feel comfortable with the questions I'm very confident talking about my strong as well as weak points.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I felt like I had a lot to talk about and am very passionate about my topics, so good to strong.

Thank you! Please feel free to be frank, I'm no big on spending $100 on applications just to realize I had no chance at all! :laugh: Also if you know there's a school that will be a good fit for me, feel free to suggest it too! (though I know it's almost impossible to tell what's a "good fit" just by looking at the stat above).
 
Last edited:
Schools I am applying to (in order of preference):

University of Illinois – Chicago
University of California – San Francisco
University of North Carolina
University of Southern California
University of California – San Diego
Virginia Commonwealth University
University at Buffalo – SUNY
Purdue University
University of Oklahoma (last choice, but in-state for me)

Overall GPA:
3.75

Science GPA:
3.71

PCAT:
Scheduled to take it in October – honestly, no studying done so far

Pharmacy experience:
I’ve worked every single spring/fall/summer/winter break in my local pharmacy at home for the past 3.5-4 years. I do a little bit of everything while I’m there, so I have a strong grasp on all aspects of the pharmacy process.

Date of Application Submission:
I am submitting the PharmCAS very, very soon – ASAP. As far as supplemental applications, I will be filling those out and submitting them for every single one of my school choices by 11/1/10 (though I know that is early for some of these schools, I am making that my all-around deadline).

Letters of Recommendation:
4 LORs will be submitted to PharmCAS
2 – Professors from college, one a psychology professor who is an amazing, lovely woman who loves me, and the other my chemistry department chair, a man who knows my achievements via departmental honors/scholarships/etc
1 – the pharmacist who I have worked with for many years now
1 – a high school teacher who can attest to my overall qualities/etc

Volunteer Experience:
I have volunteered many hours of my time during college at my home high school. I am also a musician, so throughout the entire summer every year, I give private lessons to several kids each week. I’ve done volunteer work at ISEF (International Science and Engineering Fair) as a student who had previously competed there. I do volunteer work through my university’s American Chemical Society Student Affiliate (I am also the president of this RSO this year) with local schools and events around the city, doing chemistry demonstrations for kids, etc.

Interview skills:
I have never had an interview such as for pharmacy school before. However, I believe that I have good communication skills and should fair decently.

Personal Statement Quality:
I have absolutely no idea. I have had a great friend who is applying to med school read it and re-read it and re-read it etc etc and we think it’s good to go. My pre-pharmacy advisor is reading it tonight and will be giving me her comments tomorrow. >>I<< cannot judge it’s strength personally, but others seem to think it is good.


Any input from my fellow student-doctor network people would be great! Thank you for your time and feedback!


Molly :luck:
 
a. Schools you are applying to
USC, UCSD, UCSF, Tuoro, UOP, Western
b. Overall GPA
3.27-BS in Biology, UC Irvine
c. Math/Science GPA
3.09
d. GPA in last one or two school years
3.82 (1 year at community College but mostly pharm pre-reqs and science re-takes)
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
Did not take it
f. Pharmacy experience obtained
CA Pharmacy tech license
CPhT
Volunteer at inpatient hospital pharmacy-330 hours
Pharmacy Assistant volunteer in clinic-100 hours
Currently looking for retail pharmacy job

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
Submitted Aug 12, done with UoP secondary, working on rest

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
4 LORs-2 from Science professors at community college, research professor at UCI and pharmacy manager at hospital
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
Sunday school teacher, volunteered in foodbanks, pre-health frat in college, also received fellowship to do independent research at UCI, I also learned Spanish in College, does that help for Cali schools?

**I finished my bachelors in 3 years. Not sure if that hurts or helps my app

J. Self-perception of interview skills
Needs work
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
Average

Am I crazy for only applying to Cali schools????
 
a. Schools you are applying to
USC, UCSD, UCSF, Tuoro, UOP, Western
b. Overall GPA
3.27-BS in Biology, UC Irvine
c. Math/Science GPA
3.09
d. GPA in last one or two school years
3.82 (1 year at community College but mostly pharm pre-reqs and science re-takes)
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
Did not take it
f. Pharmacy experience obtained
CA Pharmacy tech license
CPhT
Volunteer at inpatient hospital pharmacy-330 hours
Pharmacy Assistant volunteer in clinic-100 hours
Currently looking for retail pharmacy job

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
Submitted Aug 12, done with UoP secondary, working on rest

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
4 LORs-2 from Science professors at community college, research professor at UCI and pharmacy manager at hospital
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
Sunday school teacher, volunteered in foodbanks, pre-health frat in college, also received fellowship to do independent research at UCI, I also learned Spanish in College, does that help for Cali schools?

**I finished my bachelors in 3 years. Not sure if that hurts or helps my app

J. Self-perception of interview skills
Needs work
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
Average

Am I crazy for only applying to Cali schools????

You are not the only person applying only to Cali schools, I'm on the same boat as you. 😀
 
a. Schools you are applying to
UCSF, Touro, UOP, Loma Linda, Purdue, OSU and possibly other schools that don't require PCAT.
b. Overall GPA - 3.3, BA from UCLA
c. Math/Science GPA - Math: 3.6/ Science 2.75 =(
d. GPA in last one or two school years - over 3.5
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) - PCAT isn't necessary for schools I'm applying to.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
By September 5th
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
2-LOR from Science Professors, 1-LOR from Physical Anthropology Professor.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
I have volunteered in the Hospital and have over 120 hours done, volunteered at a rehabiliation center, worked the majority of the time in school, have been primary caretaker of grandmother with Alzheimer's and tutored.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
Working on it.

Right now I feel like I have no hope due to really low science GPA. Please give me some honest feeback.
 
Nontraditional student - Mom of 2 in my 30's!

a. Schools you are applying to: Just UF, since I am married with 2 kids and can't reasonably relocate

b. Overall GPA: 3.9 undergrad (2001, Genetics), 4.0 Master's (2010, Biology) -- is it a negative that most of my prereqs were completed almost 10 years ago? I have been working in a science field since then.

c. Math/Science GPA: same as overall

d. GPA in last one or two school years: 4.0

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) not yet taken, but plan to take in October. I generally do well on standardized tests.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: none however I have about 8 years of laboratory research experience (cancer research), some patient experience, lots of work with PhDs and MDs

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): not yet done, but I plan to start soon.

h. 3 LORs, all very good, 2 from PhD/employers 1 from MD/colleague, I can easily get one or two more.

i. see F, active in my Church, not much time for other "extracurriculars" -- it's been 9 years since I was an undergrad

j. Self-perception of interview skills: very good

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: very good

Assuming I do ok on the PCAT, do I have a shot even without pharmacy experience or a LOR from a pharmacist? How about the fact that my prereqs are from 9 years ago? Is being in my 30s with 2 kids a plus, minus, or neutral? Thanks!
 
Last edited:
a. Schools you are applying to
Ohio State Univeristy , Neucom, Florida A&M, Howard Univeristy , Loma Linda University , Texas Southern Univeristy, University of Findlay , Xavier Univeristy
.
b. Overall GPA: 3.0

c. Math/Science GPA: 2.8

d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.2

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) – Taking it in October

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 4 years retail pharmacy- CVS. Certified Pharmacy Tech. Shadowed at hospital for 2 months.


Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)- end of october

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 LOR - 1 Pharmacist, 2 Science Professors

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience- Teach at a community summer school program for the past 2 years.
j. Self-perception of interview skills- Average- I stutter a little when nervous


k. Overall impression of personal statement quality – good

Also, I have a Bachelor’s degree in Pharmaceutical Science from Ohio State University. (G.P.A - 3.2)
 
SO... I'm taking the PCAT in October...
I have a 3.9 cummulative, 3.8 science gpa from a cc. I'll have my associates in science degree in May...
I work at a hospital as a pharmacy tech and I've been here for a year, this month. Volunteered for 8 months prior to that.
President of the pharmacy club at my school for a 1.5 years.
I have a scholarship for being Native American that will pay for my pre-req schooling as well as pharmacy school when I get in.
I'm doing an internship with a cancer research center in spring hopefully in the pharmaceutical divison.
I've done some volunteer work besides at my hospital (which is a well-known hospital)...
I have references in mind for lor's...
But tomorrow it's September and I have only now til october 16th to study for this "ridiculously hard" PCAT...
I'll be done with my pre-req's in May.

The pattern is everything else will look good AFTER MAY. Should I just wait and apply then? I haven't started my Pharmcas, yet... I work 40 hours a week and am extremely comfortable with completing medication reconcilliations (it's a new thing for any hospital in az that tech's get this done and verified, it's super cool!). I feel comfortable in the iv room and I know most of the odds and ends around the pharmacy here. I love this field!

But I feel like maybe I should wait til everything is all set and know that I get a good score on my pcat, (for sure, for sure)...

Or should I just go get it? Last time I declined a scholarship knowing it probably wasn't the time to accept it and later pressed my luck and reapplied.. and was awarded again for the same scholarship... I don't even have to work at ALL... but I will step down to a type 5 (keep my seniority and only have to work 2 days a month)... so I can do this... but

Wouldn't it be easier to wait and apply as soon as the window open for midwestern... (u of a window opens within the next couple weeks)... to get a better chance of getting in? on this "first come, first serve" process? They'll have all my grades and I'll just start at ASU next fall and work toward my bachelor's degree in microbiology while waiting to get in?...

Please help... it's really making me sick to my stomach🙁
 
A. I am applying to:
Concordia University Wisconsin
South Dakota State University
University of Wyoming
University of Iowa
B. Overall GPA:
3.79
C. Math/Science GPA:
3.81
D. GPA in last one school year:
3.71
E. Complete PCAT scores:
VA: 95
Bio: 84
RC: 75
Quant: 87
Chem: 93
Composite: 93
F. Pharmacy experience:
20 months as a pharmacy clerk; 12 months as a CPhT (continuing)
10-15 hours/week during school & 35-40 hours/week on academic breaks
G. Date of application submissions:
PharmCAS was submitted 8/22 and "verified" 9/1.
U. Iowa secondary was received 8/30.
CUW secondary and SDSU application being mailed 9/2.
U. Wyo has no secondary.
H. LoRs:
One from the pharmacist/owner I am employed by - solid for sure.
One from a pharmacist I work with - super solid for sure - also did volunteer work with this pharmacist.
One from my organic professor - definitely OK, but maybe not super - didn't have too many professor options after transferring to a bigger school mid-undergrad.
I. Volunteer experience:
15 hours in a hospital; 60 hours at a church; 30 hours at a historical site; 9 hours at a humane society.
J. Self-perception of interview skills:
Not stellar, but not terrible - OK/decent.
K. Overall impression of personal statement quality:
Solid. Went over it in detail with my former college composition instructor, and she said she was impressed.

I will not have an undergraduate degree by 2011 admission. I am an Iowa resident.

Thanks!
 
Hello, can someone give me any advice or feed back to help me get in. If I have a bs in biochemistry with a minor in chemistry with a university gpa of 2.778 and with junior and university of 3.01 gpa cumulative. With research experience hour of a year in the chemistry department. I have not taken my pcat yet but it is in the works. I am wondering with what I have what kind of pcat score do i need to score to be a competitive candidate? Should I get a pharm tech certification?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
To answer the PCAT question: Each school has minimum standards some do not. From most schools I've seen the competitive is from 80-95 99 being stellar. then again, Ive seen people get accepted with a a PCAT as low as 50 or 60 but with a stellar GPA. I guess it depends on your EC's too. Pharm Tech experience would be good but not required but focus on getting your GPA up and study for the PCAT.
Good Luck!
 
a. Schools you are applying to: transferring from cc to SUNY albany, buffalo, stony brook, new paltz or URI(keep in mind im applying still for undergrad not pharm school yet)
b. Overall GPA: 2.56(flunked my first semester)
c. Math/Science GPA: 2.53(only 3 courses taken of these)
d. GPA in last one or two school years: spring 3.13 summer 2.5(took calc 1 and chem 1 at same time in 7 weeks)
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): not even to close to ready
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: none yet but registering as a volunteer at a local hospital this week.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): not sure if i apply for the spring before or after midterms.
Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 2 guaranteed ones. my precalc/calc professor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: been working at the book store borders for almost 6 months and im considered one of the best employees.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: decent
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: decent but plan on letting it get peered reviewed and talking to a professor at my schools writing lab about it.


As of now im in my third semester of college and i know my GPA is garbage. first semester i had a 0.00 second i got a 3.13 and summer i had a 2.5. my cumulative is a 2.56 with one 1 credit class that still has an F thats being taken this semester. i was wondering if i should apply now or wait till midterms to be able to show that ive made some progress and am doing well in classes. my current course load is calculus 2, chemistry 2, english 1, wellness and fitness(PE), and intro to science seminar. im feeling really comfortable with this load and think i can definitely do well in these classes. what should i do!?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are we going to get any feedback? 🙁

Many of us that typically answer these are busy with moving/getting settled in, orientation, starting school, etc.
Also most tend to answer the ones where people have situations similar to theirs or where people are applying to some of the same schools as they did.

A. I am applying to:
Concordia University Wisconsin
South Dakota State University
University of Wyoming
University of Iowa
B. Overall GPA:
3.79
C. Math/Science GPA:
3.81
D. GPA in last one school year:
3.71
E. Complete PCAT scores:
VA: 95
Bio: 84
RC: 75
Quant: 87
Chem: 93
Composite: 93
F. Pharmacy experience:
20 months as a pharmacy clerk; 12 months as a CPhT (continuing)
10-15 hours/week during school & 35-40 hours/week on academic breaks
G. Date of application submissions:
PharmCAS was submitted 8/22 and "verified" 9/1.
U. Iowa secondary was received 8/30.
CUW secondary and SDSU application being mailed 9/2.
U. Wyo has no secondary.
H. LoRs:
One from the pharmacist/owner I am employed by - solid for sure.
One from a pharmacist I work with - super solid for sure - also did volunteer work with this pharmacist.
One from my organic professor - definitely OK, but maybe not super - didn't have too many professor options after transferring to a bigger school mid-undergrad.
I. Volunteer experience:
15 hours in a hospital; 60 hours at a church; 30 hours at a historical site; 9 hours at a humane society.
J. Self-perception of interview skills:
Not stellar, but not terrible - OK/decent.
K. Overall impression of personal statement quality:
Solid. Went over it in detail with my former college composition instructor, and she said she was impressed.

I will not have an undergraduate degree by 2011 admission. I am an Iowa resident.

Thanks!

I know Iowa gives at least a small preference to residents but not having a degree puts you at a large disadvantage anywhere. SDSU also puts a fair amount of weight on completion of a four year degree. Your grades, PCAT, and experience are all good. The main things against you are lack of a degree and your self-stated lesser interviewing skills. I don't know much about Wyoming and there was another thread where I, and others have chimed in about our thoughts on Concordia so...

If you were on track to finish a degree I'd say you wouldn't have any problem getting into Iowa (or most other schools). As it is, I would guess you will at least get an interview at most schools. At worst, if you don't get in this year you can finish a bachelor's and apply next year.

You may want to check LOR requirements. Some schools require at least two teachers. IMO two professional LOR's is overkill, but many would disagree with me on that.
 
Hey everyone,

I am applying this fall (here in the next 2-3 months) and I am so nervous about acceptance. I want you all to be as brutally honest as possible and let me know if I'm just dreamin' big or if I actually have a shot. I am in my 4th year at Texas State University and I am a healthcare administration major. I am really interested in that field, but I am hoping for nothing more than acceptance to any school this year. I am only applying to two schools THIS year (Texas Southern University and Texas A&M in Kingsville) for two reasons. A. I kind of just want to throw my app out there to see what responses I get from those schools, and B. I have a feeling that those are the only two schools in TX that I have a chance of possibly getting in to. If I am accepted, that's when I will have to make the decision whether I want to just go to pharmacy school, or if I want to stay an extra year and finish my degree (I have about 12 more classes and mapped out the remainder, so I'd be graduating in May 2012). I'm really stressed about my future, so maybe some of y'all have some wise advice to offer.


a. Schools you are applying to:

(I would love to end up in Houston, hence why I'm applying to TSU, but like I said... I'm willing to go anywhere that will accept me)

This fall: Texas Southern University and Texas A&M Kingsville

Next fall (if not accepted, or if I decide to raise my GPA with my major classes and stay another year): Texas Southern University, University of Houston (although I feel like my chances of getting in there are very slim), Texas Tech (Amarillo or Abilene), and Texas A&M Kingsville.

b. Overall GPA: 2.95

c. Math/Science GPA: 3.0 (a rough estimate)

d. GPA in last one or two school years: ~3.5

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): I am taking it for the first time in two days (8/21/10), but I am pretty nervous. Although I have been studying for the past 4 months, I have yet to take the following classes:

Physics
Organismal Bio
Microbio
Organic Chem 2
Anatomy & Phys
Genetics
Calculus (I have taken Pre-Cal though)
..and a few others that wont be tested on the PCAT.


f. Pharmacy experience obtained: I am currently Nationally and State certified as a Pharmacy technician, I worked with Walgreens for about a year and I just got a new job at Wal-Mart pharmacy about a month ago; I plan to hold this position until I leave San Marcos.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): I am hoping to have the two applications for this year sent in by October (or as soon as my PCAT scores are in).... the sooner the better, I am hoping.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: I have none so far, but the following sources have told me that they would love to write an excellent LOR whenever I ask for it:
1Pharmacy Manager/Pharmacist at Walgreens
2 Pharmacists from Walgreens
1 Pharmacy Manager/Pharmacist from Wal-Mart
1Pharmacy manager from a small pharmacy here
1Chemistry Professor
2Healthcare Administration professors
1Boyfriend's mom, CEO of a hospital

So, I feel like I've got that part pretty much covered. Do y'all think it would be annoying to send in more than the required number or LORs?


i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I've got a whole lot of volunteer work racked up over the years that I can't write down right now, but includes: Many mission trips/church functions, volunteering at Goodwill, Bobcat Build (a volunteer project we do at TX State every year).... etc.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I feel that I am an outgoing person and I feel that I can answer most questions on the spot, although if given an interview I will definitely spend a good amount of time preparing so that my interview will hopefully make up for my GPS/PCAT scores.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I haven't written one yet, but I am a pretty decent writer and I've got a lot of help in that department, so I'm not too worried.

l. Extracurricular: (I didn't see a spot for this, but perhaps I skipped over it accidentally)
I am currently Vice President of the Pre-Pharmacy Society, if I stay another year, I will have President for sure.
Member of:
Biochemistry Society
Chemistry Club
Student Volunteer Connections
I am going to be the TA and teach a Chemistry lab this semester, but probably not next semester due to the ridiculous load I've got in classes in hopes to finish up my Science/Math Pre-reqs. Although I will have already turned in my application, so teaching a lab next semester won't really matter much.


This is all I can think if at the moment, but y'all let me know what you think. I am open to any suggestions and advice. Thank you all so much for your time and good luck to everyone applying this year!!


With your GPA, knowing your PCAT scores would help quite a bit... PCAT may be difficult for you - based on looking at what classes you said you haven't taken. Aside from GPA, (and possibly PCAT) the rest looks good. I know all the state TX schools give a very large preference for residents. Some of the more competitive schools to get into require a 3.0 minimum GPA - not sure about any of the particular schools you listed. So long as you meet min GPA, then your higher GPA in the past few years will help you too. Are you going to be able to finish a degree and all of your pre reqs this year?
 
That GPA is really on the low side - I would suggest getting at least a 70 on the PCAT. The B.S. will help but that only goes so far.
 
a. Schools you are applying to: Mercer, Belmont, Lipscomb, University of Houston, UAMS
b. Overall GPA: 3.32
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.12
d. GPA in last one or two school years: fall 2009- 3.7 spring 2010-3.9
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 71%
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: volunteered at pharmacy for 1 year
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): sep 5, 2010

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 4 letter of recommendation from the principal investigator/supervisor of my lab, cvs pharmacist, health advisory committee, and academic adviser/professor or a&p teacher

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
under my NIH grant I conduct nanoparticle research (1 year in, will graduate from college with 2 years research experience + my 1 year biophysics research experience from my senior year in high school), volunteer at the Arkansas department of human services, Arkansas Commitment, Are you MAD (making a difference club), Phi Sigma Pi Honors Fraternity, peer reviewer of vandy's undergraduate research journal, fund-raising chair of the pre-pharm society

j. Self-perception of interview skills: average
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: above average
 
Hey everybody sorry to post again but I was hoping someone could give me recommendations/outlook

Here are my stats:


a. Schools you are applying to
University of Illinois-Chicago (4th choice)

University of North Carolina (T-3rd choice)

UC San Francisco (1st choice) No PCAT

University of texas (2nd choice)

SUNY-buffalo (T-3rd choice)

University of California San Diego No PCAT

MCPHS-Boston No PCAT

Purdue Univ. No PCAT


b. Overall GPA
3.68 (but its from 6 different schools and I still have a about 30 semester units work left
2 Ws 3 years ago (both non pre-pharmacy requirements)
1 B in general chemistry and the rest As in the other pre-pharmacy requirements
plan to take 2 semesters of calculus, 2 semesters of organic chemistry, and 2 semester of physics this fall and spring

I will have a BS in Liberal Studies in the Summer of 2011
my lowest GPA in any one semester has been my first semester (3.47)

c. Math/Science GPA
3.80 (all from 6 different schools)

d. GPA in last one or two school years
about 3.75

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
Just took it in August and I think i did bad on the chem and math section so im guessing it will be 66-70. Im not sure if i should retake it or not.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained
Worked as Pharmacy cashier for CVS for almost 2 years

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
aiming to submit primary by end of August, secondary apps also ASAP

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
3 LORS- I think they should all be pretty good, known professors since 2006
Humanities Professor, Statistics Professor, trying to reach Chemistry professor

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
volunteered for 4 years for trash clean up in my local neighborhood program

j. Self-perception of interview skills
I think my interview skills will be ok, Im generally good with people. Still want to do those mock interviews sometime though

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
not sure yet

For the schools I mentioned, with my GPA (3.7) should I aim for a 80 PCAT or at least get between a 70-80?
 
Hey everybody sorry to post again but I was hoping someone could give me recommendations/outlook

Here are my stats:


a. Schools you are applying to
University of Illinois-Chicago (4th choice)

University of North Carolina (T-3rd choice)

UC San Francisco (1st choice) No PCAT

University of texas (2nd choice)

SUNY-buffalo (T-3rd choice)

University of California San Diego No PCAT

MCPHS-Boston No PCAT

Purdue Univ. No PCAT


b. Overall GPA
3.68 (but its from 6 different schools and I still have a about 30 semester units work left
2 Ws 3 years ago (both non pre-pharmacy requirements)
1 B in general chemistry and the rest As in the other pre-pharmacy requirements
plan to take 2 semesters of calculus, 2 semesters of organic chemistry, and 2 semester of physics this fall and spring

I will have a BS in Liberal Studies in the Summer of 2011
my lowest GPA in any one semester has been my first semester (3.47)

c. Math/Science GPA
3.80 (all from 6 different schools)

d. GPA in last one or two school years
about 3.75

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
Just took it in August and I think i did bad on the chem and math section so im guessing it will be 66-70. Im not sure if i should retake it or not.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained
Worked as Pharmacy cashier for CVS for almost 2 years

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
aiming to submit primary by end of August, secondary apps also ASAP

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
3 LORS- I think they should all be pretty good, known professors since 2006
Humanities Professor, Statistics Professor, trying to reach Chemistry professor

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
volunteered for 4 years for trash clean up in my local neighborhood program

j. Self-perception of interview skills
I think my interview skills will be ok, Im generally good with people. Still want to do those mock interviews sometime though

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
not sure yet

For the schools I mentioned, with my GPA (3.7) should I aim for a 80 PCAT or at least get between a 70-80?
You should have a pretty good shot.

One thing jumps out at me: your LORs. Many schools want a work/volunteering supervisor...so perhaps try to get someone from your CVS store. Having three LORs from an academic background might do yourself a dis-service and limit the adcom's scope of your application so keep that in mind.

If you have anything in the 70's or above you should be able to get at least an interview at most of your schools.
 
Thanks for the reply mcalabr3. much appreciated.

Regarding the LOR, I was supposed to get one from a pharmacist I worked with for 2 years but he passed away. I currently work at a bookstore, do you think the manager at a Borders bookstore will be a good recommendation since some Pharmacy Schools liked recommendations with work experience.

Also for the PCATs, do you think I can still get an interview if I had a 70 flat. My grades are good but my subsection in my math and chem looks like it could be between a 60-75. How much will the deficiency affect me there?
 
a. Schools you are applying to
USN (always been interested in their program)
b. Overall GPA
3.11, a couple classes need to be retaken and not all prereq finished
c. Math/Science GPA
2.85, most A's a couple F's that are being retaken
d. GPA in last one or two school years
in class now, my classes are over 2 years old
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
90% percentile a few years ago, and retaking it in Oct 2010
f. Pharmacy experience obtained
well-developed concept of pharmacy with 8 years teching at community pharmacy, a specialty pharmacy, and recently a mail order/PBM
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
mailing USN end of Sept
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
many good mentors and outstanding Rphs can recommend me, but USN doesnt accept LORs
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
volunteer in cancer center
j. Self-perception of interview skills
Strong interviewing and communication skills
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
working on things
 
Is there anything more that you can see that I could do right now to improve my application or have a better chance? And, other than USN, are there any other schools you might recommend that I could apply to as second choices?
 
a. Schools you are applying to
Ferris State, Wayne State, East Tennessee, U of Iowa, Washington State
b. Overall GPA - ~3.53
c. Math/Science GPA ~3.43. all my science classes are B's or better though...
d. GPA in last one or two school years - 3.79
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) - took it aug 21, waiting on scores :scared:
f. Pharmacy experience obtained- CPhT since '07, retail tech for 2 1/2 years, hospital tech for 1/2 year
Member of Pre-pharmacy association
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
by sept 31st

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
3 - 1. pharmacy manager 2. pharmacy law professor at Ferris 3. pharmacist (I know I'm heavy on pharmacists but I don't really have any professor that I had a close relationship with that would write me a strong letter)
I think I have 3 solid ones...but the professor one I'm not so sure about..
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
Youth soccer ref for 4 years, youth soccer coach for 1 year, blood drive volunteer, local YMCA volunteer
j. Self-perception of interview skills - okay..average. not that great. I get in a weird tunnel vision zone when I get into interviews...
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
I think it's average... I can't get it to say what I want, but it's a work in progress.
 
What are my chances of getting into pharmacy school in light of my info below.

(I know there is a tread specifically for this but i did not get any feedback when i posted it there for about a month now. Here are is my info.)


Schools you are applying to
Ohio State Univeristy , Neucom, Florida A&M, Howard Univeristy , Loma Linda University , Texas Southern Univeristy, University of Findlay , Xavier Univeristy
.
b. Overall GPA: 3.0

c. Math/Science GPA: 2.8

d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.2

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) &#8211; Taking it in October

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 4 years retail pharmacy- CVS. Certified Pharmacy Tech. Shadowed at hospital for 2 months.


Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)- end of october

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 LOR - 1 Pharmacist, 2 Science Professors

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience- Teach at a community summer school program for the past 2 years.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality &#8211; excellent

Also, I have a Bachelor's degree in Pharmaceutical Science from Ohio State University (Spring 2010 -G.P.A - 3.2)
 
a. Schools you are applying to- University of Utah, Idaho State University, University of Colorado-Denver, University of Oklahoma, and University of Southern Nevada. (Utah resident)
b. Overall GPA-
3.45
c. Math/Science GPA- 3.20
d. GPA in last one or two school years- 3.5
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)- 67 composite, retaking in October (must do better in math!)
f. Pharmacy experience obtained- 2 years retail pharmacy technician
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)- the end of September
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs- 3 solid LOR's (pharmacy manager, pharmacist, and biochemistry professor)
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience- Vice-president of pre-pharmacy club and physiology lab instructor/tutor
j. Self-perception of interview skills- Need to do a mock interview, but I believe I will do well
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality- In progress- talks about hardships I've overcame from losing my mother to cancer at a young age
 
With your GPA, knowing your PCAT scores would help quite a bit... PCAT may be difficult for you - based on looking at what classes you said you haven't taken. Aside from GPA, (and possibly PCAT) the rest looks good. I know all the state TX schools give a very large preference for residents. Some of the more competitive schools to get into require a 3.0 minimum GPA - not sure about any of the particular schools you listed. So long as you meet min GPA, then your higher GPA in the past few years will help you too. Are you going to be able to finish a degree and all of your pre reqs this year?


The schools that I've listed are among the less competitive school in Texas, due to the fact that my expectations for acceptance are not very high.

I will be finished with all of my pre-reqs this year, but if I were to finish my degree, I would have to stay another year. I know I can always re-apply but I'm worried that if I am accepted this year and stay to finish my degree, then next year when I apply they will look frown upon me for rejecting their acceptance this year. Ahh soo stressed....
 
The schools that I've listed are among the less competitive school in Texas, due to the fact that my expectations for acceptance are not very high.

I will be finished with all of my pre-reqs this year, but if I were to finish my degree, I would have to stay another year. I know I can always re-apply but I'm worried that if I am accepted this year and stay to finish my degree, then next year when I apply they will look frown upon me for rejecting their acceptance this year. Ahh soo stressed....

Again, I don't know as much about the Texas schools other than they tend to be non PharmCAS and they give a very large preference to TX residents. For the most part with your GPA you need pretty much everything else to be at least quite good to get into most schools - that's with being able to say you'll complete a bachelor's degree - could you finish your pre reqs and a degree if you went summer sem and/or winterim etc? In general it is very difficult to get in to any school without a degree. Doable but you normally need a very high GPA and PCAT, good EC's, PS, etc... pretty much need to be one of those that if you did have a degree you'd be a shoe in at pretty much any school.
Personally, unless you can't finish both your degree and pre reqs this year, I would wait until next year, finish both, and just make sure you get decent grades this year. Depending on how you did on it - then you could also consider re taking the PCAT next year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here goes nothing:

Long time reader but this is my first post lol. I'm 19, doing Pre-Pharm at a community college in IL(second year) and plan on applying next fall(2011, hoping to begin Pharm school 2012).

a) Schools applying to: UIC, Midwestern Downers Grove, Roosevelt University, SIU Edwardsville.

b) Overall GPA: Currently 3.44, looking to raise it to a 3.59 by the end of fall 2010. I was fairly careless my first semester of college and got a C in Calc I(re-taken the following semester with an A), while my overall GPA ended up being a 2.875...Have had to play catch-up the last few semesters to improve it and have done a good job at it I think.

c) Math/Science: Currently a 3.69, looking to raise it to a solid 3.7 after fall 2010.

d) GPA in last year of school: Minus my first semester of college, the other 2 (spring+summer) have been pretty decent. Just one B in Gen Chem2, everything else has been an A.

e) Complete PCAT scores: Taking it October 16th for the first time. Scared as **** lol.

f) Pharmacy Experience Obtained: I have my Pharm Tech license. Have applied at various places(multiple times at CVS and Walgreens) the last few months but still no luck. Still currently looking.

g) Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): No application for a while.

h) Number of LORs and source of LORs: Will get one from my current OChem I and future OChem II teacher(plan on taking him for II also), one from my current Zoology and future Anatomy teacher(he teaches both, plan on taking him again also) and hopefully one from a future pharmacist I'll get to work with.

i) Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience]: Have worked at a Sunrise Senior Living Community for the last 3,5 years. Outside of this, I don't really have much. I have just began to realize the importance of volunteer experience when it comes to Pharm school acceptance and have just started to look for possible options. This is indeed one of my applications' weakest points and will try to address it accordingly.

j) Self perception of interview skills: Probably a 6-7/10. I used to be very, very, very shy when I was young, have gotten much better over the years but still struggle with a lack of confidence every once in a while. Working with seniors over the last few years has however improved my social skills greatly. Plan on doing mock interviews as I get closer to application time.

k) Overall impression of personal statement quality: I have yet to write this. I have always been a pretty decent writer however, my Eng 102 final research paper was accepted for publication in the school's 2011 anthology. Will ask my former Eng 102 teacher to revise it for me when I write it.


I'm sorry for the long post and am well aware that it may be quite difficult to truly evaluate my overall application at this point, since I have yet to complete a few tasks and address a number of weaknesses/nonexistent parts lol. I'd just like an honest evaluation: how do you think I'm doing so far? Anything in particular that jumps out that you think should be taken care of?

Thanks guys.
 
a. Schools you are applying to:
U of Arizona, Midwestern Univ. in Glendale, U of Kentucky, U of Maryland, Oregon State Univ., Rutgers Univ., Univ. of Illinois, Univ. of Pittsburgh, Univ. of Minnesota, Mercer Univ.
b. Overall GPA: 3.69
c. Math/Science GPA: ~3.5
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.789
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 79% (my reading score pulled down the composite score🙁). I took Aug. one and have not gotten back my score yet. I am planning to retake Oct. exam.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: I volunteered for 2 yrs.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Dec. 1st

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: Need to get 3 LORs...Hopefully from my microbiology professor, the pharmacist, and my lab supervisor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I am volunteering in the pharmacology lab, I was a preceptor for Chem and microbiology class.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I am not very confident about interviews since English is not my first language...
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
average, I think...
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply mcalabr3. much appreciated.

Regarding the LOR, I was supposed to get one from a pharmacist I worked with for 2 years but he passed away. I currently work at a bookstore, do you think the manager at a Borders bookstore will be a good recommendation since some Pharmacy Schools liked recommendations with work experience.

Also for the PCATs, do you think I can still get an interview if I had a 70 flat. My grades are good but my subsection in my math and chem looks like it could be between a 60-75. How much will the deficiency affect me there?
Did you do well in your math courses? I know some schools, ie UIC will look at each subsection and if you didn't do so hot in any one section they'll at the course grades more. So if you didn't do hot in Math they'll look at your Calc and Stat classes.

60-75 range isn't the end of the world...especially like I said before if you did well in the classes in that subject area.
 
HI,

I am Junior at UIC working on my BS in Biology major, I have been working as a Pharmacy Tech for a year and my Science GPA is 3.57 and overall 3.51. I already submitted my PharmCas application and working on my supplement.I am applying to
Purdue University
MCPHS in Boston
Pacific University in OR

I haven't take PCAT yet.

What are my chances?
 
a. Schools you are applying to: Mercer, Belmont, Lipscomb, University of Houston, UAMS
b. Overall GPA: 3.32
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.12
d. GPA in last one or two school years: fall 2009- 3.7 spring 2010-3.9
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 71%
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: volunteered at pharmacy for 1 year
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): sep 5, 2010

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 4 letter of recommendation from the principal investigator/supervisor of my lab, cvs pharmacist, health advisory committee, and academic adviser/professor or a&p teacher

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
under my NIH grant I conduct nanoparticle research (1 year in, will graduate from college with 2 years research experience + my 1 year biophysics research experience from my senior year in high school), volunteer at the Arkansas department of human services, Arkansas Commitment, Are you MAD (making a difference club), Phi Sigma Pi Honors Fraternity, peer reviewer of vandy's undergraduate research journal, fund-raising chair of the pre-pharm society

j. Self-perception of interview skills: average
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: above average