*~*WAMC (what are my chances?) Megathread*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! Just hoping for some feedback! Thank you!

a. Applying to: UF, FAMU, LECOM: Bradenton
b. Overall GPA: 3.3
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.1
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.3
e. PCAT: 91 Composite
f. Experience: None
g. Date of application submission: 11-10-2012

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 LoR. 1 Pharmacist, 1 Organic Chemistry Professor, 1 Math Professor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Well, I was a chef before going back to college. lol. I've volunteered at a cat shelter for 4 years
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Average... working on it
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Good

Everything looks pretty good until you get to the "Experience: None" part. It will be a hard sell to explain why you want to go from being a chef to a pharmacist if you have no experience with the latter. How'd you get a LoR from a pharmacist ( in a professional setting) if you don't have experience? Have you shadowed at least? At the schools that I applied to their accepted students' avg experience (in health care) was at least 2 years. IMO if you haven't volunteered at a hospital or other health care related field that should be your top priority.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I hope someone will give me an idea about my chances, thanks!

a. Schools you are applying to: University of Colorado Skaggs, Aurora Early Admission Program
b. Overall GPA: 3.52
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.34
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.86 in last two years.
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) 41% composite (I know).. Retaking in July.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 5 years / over 6,000 hours as a Registered Pharmacy Technician in retail and independent pharmacy,3 years certified in hospital pharmacy IV admixture, chemo-IV admixture, and compounding all through National Pharmacy Technician Association
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) Will apply July 18th for early admission program.

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs Multiple LOR's from 6 pharmacist, 3 that have a PharmD but will be choosing two for application purposes, and one from my research professor.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience Volunteered at a nursing home translating for over 2 years translating for the nurses and doctors whom came in and accumulated about 95 hours of translating "clinical" work, 30 hours each at two different hospitals in the area, volunteering in the infection and prevention department of the hospital and also in the marketing department., also multiple university volunteering that I don't feel like putting down.
j. Self-perception of interview skills Absolutely wonderful, not to be cocky, but I do very well in interviews.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality Great!

I will also have a B.A. in Chemistry and a minor in Spanish and Biochemistry. I have done quite a bit of research in the chemistry department and have had some work published once. Just an overview of some of the things I have accomplished, do I stand a decent chance?

Hey guys, I hope someone will give me an idea about my chances, thanks!

a. Schools you are applying to: University of Colorado Skaggs, Aurora Early Admission Program
b. Overall GPA: 3.52
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.34
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.86 in last two years.
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) 41% composite (I know).. Retaking in July.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 5 years / over 6,000 hours as a Registered Pharmacy Technician in retail and independent pharmacy,3 years certified in hospital pharmacy IV admixture, chemo-IV admixture, and compounding all through National Pharmacy Technician Association
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) Will apply July 18th for early admission program.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs Multiple LOR's from 6 pharmacist, 3 that have a PharmD but will be choosing two for application purposes, and one from my research professor.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience Volunteered at a nursing home translating for over 2 years translating for the nurses and doctors whom came in and accumulated about 95 hours of translating "clinical" work, 30 hours each at two different hospitals in the area, volunteering in the infection and prevention department of the hospital and also in the marketing department., also multiple university volunteering that I don't feel like putting down.
j. Self-perception of interview skills Absolutely wonderful, not to be cocky, but I do very well in interviews.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality Great!

I will also have a B.A. in Chemistry and a minor in Spanish and Biochemistry. I have done quite a bit of research in the chemistry department and have had some work published once. Just an overview of some of the things I have accomplished, do I stand a decent chance?

Why are you even posting here if you have stats like that and you're that confident in your interviewing skills. Surely you're smart enough to calculate your chances on your own. What can we tell you that you don't already know. Low PCAT? Wish your GPA was higher? Wish you did more volunteer work? You're gonna be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you even posting here if you have stats like that and you're that confident in your interviewing skills. Surely you're smart enough to calculate your chances on your own. What can we tell you that you don't already know. Low PCAT? Wish your GPA was higher? Wish you did more volunteer work? You're gonna be fine.

Honestly, I am quite unfamiliar with what "average" applicants stats are. I am really worried about the PCAT being so low. I thought I did fairly well on the test and when I saw the score I was completely shocked. I guess what I am hoping is that if I don't score in the 60th% + that my other stats will be taken into consideration by the admissions committee. I heard that early acceptance programs are quite competitive...

ps: Thanks for the reply!

Honestly, I am quite unfamiliar with what "average" applicants stats are. I am really worried about the PCAT being so low. I thought I did fairly well on the test and when I saw the score I was completely shocked. I guess what I am hoping is that if I don't score in the 60th% + that my other stats will be taken into consideration by the admissions committee. I heard that early acceptance programs are quite competitive...

You would have no problem at schools that don't require PCAT :cool:

a. Schools you are applying to:
University of Washington, Washington State, University of Oregon, USC, a few Cali schools, and a few in Texas
Overall GPA: 3.70

Math/Science GPA: Math = 3.85(Lots of upper division math-Linear Analysis, Differential Equations,etc), Science = 3.70(physics really killed me, C in one of the courses)

Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Haven't taken yet. But practice tests are above 80%

Pharmacy experience obtained: Zero. Only shadowing experiences.

Number of LORs and source of LORs: Got 1 from my Pchem professor, and probably can get one from an Organic Chemistry Prof.

Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Volunteer for Red Cross ~2 years, doing first aid, etc. ~1 year volunteering at a hospital, thats about it.

Self-perception of interview skills: Bad

Overall impression of personal statement quality:
Need to write still.

Other things I'd like to mention, I have been a tutor for roughly 2 years now, I've held a job for a year and a half(that's why my ecs are low), and was a engineering club member for a year.
Will be getting a bachelors in Statistics and Biochemistry...

Really hope the no pharmacy experience or low ecs kill my chances.

Well that university does require the PCAT and from their website:
A composite PCAT score over the 50th percentile is preferred but not required.

Last year their average GPA was also 3.7, I'm not trying to scare you but to give you better feedback than the other individual. So your avgGPA is a tad lower than what they admitted last year. Obviously, a low PCAT score isn't the end all be all of your application. It will however raise a few eyebrows. The early admissions program tends to be even more competitive, so that could play into it if you aren't able to raise that up a bit. You really don't even need to aim for anything stellar, get somewhere in the 70's if you can at least. You want to at least do better than what their minimum preferred is and if you can you'll want to beat last year's average. If it doesn't get much better than that I wouldn't worry too much about it. A long term consistent GPA greatly outweighs a low single score on a standardized exam. Be prepared to explain yourself on their supplemental application or in the interview, just in case it gets brought up. The rest looks really good. You have the ECs and experience categories knocked out of the park. IMO if you could up that PCAT just a smidge you'd be a relative shoe-in.

University of Washington, Washington State, University of Oregon, USC, a few Cali schools, and a few in Texas
Overall GPA: 3.70

Math/Science GPA: Math = 3.85(Lots of upper division math-Linear Analysis, Differential Equations,etc), Science = 3.70(physics really killed me, C in one of the courses)

Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Haven't taken yet. But practice tests are above 80%

Pharmacy experience obtained: Zero. Only shadowing experiences.

Number of LORs and source of LORs: Got 1 from my Pchem professor, and probably can get one from an Organic Chemistry Prof.

Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Volunteer for Red Cross ~2 years, doing first aid, etc. ~1 year volunteering at a hospital, thats about it.

Self-perception of interview skills: Bad

Overall impression of personal statement quality:
Need to write still.

Other things I'd like to mention, I have been a tutor for roughly 2 years now, I've held a job for a year and a half(that's why my ecs are low), and was a engineering club member for a year.
Will be getting a bachelors in Statistics and Biochemistry...

Really hope the no pharmacy experience or low ecs kill my chances.

GPA: Looks good and very competitive, I wouldn't worry there as long as you maintained a decently difficult course load (i.e. full-time student)

PCAT: If you do get an 80% that is pretty competitive. Even the top ranked schools average out somewhere around the mid 70%'s

Experience: How much shadowing do you have? Depending on what they ask during the interview and in your PS, they are going to want to know why you want to go into pharmacy, what you know about pharmacy, what are your thoughts on the future of pharmacy, etc. Do you have multiple types of pharmacy shadowing experience (ex: retail, nuclear, hospital, etc, etc)? I'd definitely put a bit more time into this area. Averages for the schools I applied to where in the 2 year experience range. Some schools will no doubt be lower, but probably not by much.

Interview skills: Start getting some mock interviews in ASAP. There are lists of potential questions out there. I would have someone go through a list and ask you random stuff and then rate you on what you say. You can even record your pseudo-interview and see what you need to improve on (eye contact, etc). Maybe sign up for a few schools and get some real interview practice before interviewing at the schools you really want. It may take the edge off. Being prepared will be your biggest confidence booster.

Personal Statement: Very important. Make sure to get on this sooner rather than later. Go to your school's writing center and make sure they go through each iteration you come up with. There are plenty of resources on how to write a good PS here on SDN as well.

GPA: Looks good and very competitive, I wouldn't worry there as long as you maintained a decently difficult course load (i.e. full-time student)

Yup, always at least full time or like last year, I was over full time.

PCAT: If you do get an 80% that is pretty competitive. Even the top ranked schools average out somewhere around the mid 70%'s

Experience: How much shadowing do you have? Depending on what they ask during the interview and in your PS, they are going to want to know why you want to go into pharmacy, what you know about pharmacy, what are your thoughts on the future of pharmacy, etc. Do you have multiple types of pharmacy shadowing experience (ex: retail, nuclear, hospital, etc, etc)? I'd definitely put a bit more time into this area. Averages for the schools I applied to where in the 2 year experience range. Some schools will no doubt be lower, but probably not by much.
Only about 1 year. I have shadowed in retail and in hospital.

Interview skills: Start getting some mock interviews in ASAP. There are lists of potential questions out there. I would have someone go through a list and ask you random stuff and then rate you on what you say. You can even record your pseudo-interview and see what you need to improve on (eye contact, etc). Maybe sign up for a few schools and get some real interview practice before interviewing at the schools you really want. It may take the edge off. Being prepared will be your biggest confidence booster.

That's some really good advice. Actually I will be trying to set up and participate in some mock interviews

Personal Statement: Very important. Make sure to get on this sooner rather than later. Go to your school's writing center and make sure they go through each iteration you come up with. There are plenty of resources on how to write a good PS here on SDN as well.

Thanks for the advice, and giving me my chances.

Something I would like to point out, not aimed at anyone in particular, is to mostly take the advice you hear here with a grain of salt. I was told that my stats weren't good enough for the California UC's because of how competitive they are, but I'm proud to report that I got into both! I won't be attending either, but that is besides the point.

Anyway, carry on!

a. University of Oklahoma, University of North Texas, University of Arkansas, UMKC, and Texas Tech
b. 3.46, Microbiology Major
c. 3.17
d. 3.3
e. Took it once and got a 48, taking it again in July
f. Currently a Pharmacy Technician at an independent pharmacy, started pre-pharmacy club at university and have been President for two years.
g. Applying this summer

h. My letters are going to be from my boss(pharmacist), another relief pharmacist, research professor, and either my o chem or advanced microbiology professor.
i. In Omega Phi Alpha, a national service sorority; log over 80 community service hours a year.

a. University of Oklahoma, University of North Texas, University of Arkansas, UMKC, and Texas Tech
b. 3.46, Microbiology Major
c. 3.17
d. 3.3
e. Took it once and got a 48, taking it again in July
f. Currently a Pharmacy Technician at an independent pharmacy, started pre-pharmacy club at university and have been President for two years.
g. Applying this summer

h. My letters are going to be from my boss(pharmacist), another relief pharmacist, research professor, and either my o chem or advanced microbiology professor.
i. In Omega Phi Alpha, a national service sorority; log over 80 community service hours a year.

GPA is on the lowish end of average, not bad and probably won't hurt or help you much. The PCAT score is a bit of an eyesore. I'd definitely see if you can get that up. Focus hardcore in those areas that you didn't do well in. Your EC's could be a bit beefier, you definitely have a good start there, perhaps another leadership activity? Can you get involved in the student senate? That really isn't much of a comitment and I think it looks good. As far as LORs I think it would probably be best if you did 1 pharmacist and 2 professors (one your research prof and then your other ochem/advanced micro) instead of the relief pharmacist. I mean is the relief pharmacist really going to say anything different than your boss? There is probably going to be a lot of overlapping comments from those two. You would probably get more bang for your buck if you went with the 2 different professors. Your research professor would give a good indication on how you work in a lab where your other professor would speak more towards your collegiate ability. You get more of a spread there IMO. Otherwise it looks good and I think if you really wanted to tweak things (and get that PCAT up to 70-80ish range you will be an exceptionally strong candidate. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

in

I have a little problem with with the course load requirement. I haven't completed a semester since spring of my freshman year because of my illness and I want to apply to pharmacy school this summer and I want to know what to do to make up for lost of a hard course load. I plan to take hard load in the fall and spring of next school year. I would really appreciated if you would give me some advice.:scared::scared: I have average stats its just that I havent taken the PCAT yet.

in

I have a little problem with with the course load requirement. I haven't completed a semester since spring of my freshman year because of my illness and I want to apply to pharmacy school this summer and I want to know what to do to make up for lost of a hard course load. I plan to take hard load in the fall and spring of next school year. I would really appreciated if you would give me some advice.:scared::scared: I have average stats its just that I havent taken the PCAT yet.

How light of a course load were you taking? I took 2 sciences some semester, sometimes 3 with maybe 1 other course with those because all my other courses were completed prior. I think that is lighter than a lot of other people do and it was still 'positively received' as far as I could tell.

Cal Northstate, Touro-NY, Massachusetts-Worcester, and West Coast University (new)

b. Overall GPA: 3.04

c. Math/Science GPA: Math = 3.74, Science = 2.63

d. GPA in last one or two school years: GPA in the last year is 2.8

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): N/A

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Shadowed 3 times for a total of about 10 hours

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): 2/11/13

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 2, one from a hospital pharmacist and one from my high school baseball coach (best I could get)

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: No volunteer experience. I've only worked 1 month doing trail work.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: Poor. Never been interviewed before.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Poor. I rushed through it and used only half of the allotted space. I'm not the best writer.

l. Other info: I have an interview at Cal Northstate in a few weeks. Haven't heard back from the other schools I applied to yet. I am 21 and the youngest person entering Cal Northstate last year was 23. Does age matter?

My comments are in bold:

Cal Northstate, Touro-NY, Massachusetts-Worcester, and West Coast University (new)

b. Overall GPA: 3.04

On the lower end of the spectrum there, is there any chance you could get that up? Definitely not the worst and I wouldn't have worried about it too much if the other areas of your application were strong.

c. Math/Science GPA: Math = 3.74, Science = 2.63

Great math GPA, what is bringing you down in your science GPA? Did you finish your degree?

d. GPA in last one or two school years: GPA in the last year is 2.8

What happened in your last semester that dropped your GPA below your average?

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): N/A

Are you not planning on taking the PCAT (because your schools don't require it) or are planning to and just haven't taken it yet? If you were going to take it, doing well on it could help that lower end GPA.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Shadowed 3 times for a total of about 10 hours

This is better than nothing, but if possible I would really try to beef this section up. I'd look into volunteering, registering and working as a tech, etc. The more you can put in this area the better. Most places are looking at an average of 1 year experience (on the low end).

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): 2/11/13

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 2, one from a hospital pharmacist and one from my high school baseball coach (best I could get)

Most schools require 3 LoR (maybe those only require 2?). It's good that you got one from a pharmacist, is that the person you shadowed for 10 hours? If so I wouldn't think that would be a very strong LoR as how is that person supposed to speak about your strengths after working for you with little more than a single shift? Do you have rapport with any of your professors? Maybe one of your math professors? Getting a LoR from one of them would definitely help and would probably be your strongest LoR.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: No volunteer experience. I've only worked 1 month doing trail work.

Try to join a school club or get involved in some sort of extracurricular (or even better, start your own). Anything leadership involved would be great.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: Poor. Never been interviewed before.

This is easy to work around. There are questions out there from those schools, check out the SDN interview pages and get a list of common questions asked at the interviews. Then have a friend/family member do a few mock interviews with you until you feel comfortable in answering questions on the fly.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Poor. I rushed through it and used only half of the allotted space. I'm not the best writer.

Doesn't your school have a writing center? There are also volunteer proof-readers here on the SDN. It doesn't hurt to have several pairs of eyes review your PS. That is probably the first thing they look at. You need to have a quality PS or you may as well throw the rest of your application in the trash.

l. Other info: I have an interview at Cal Northstate in a few weeks. Haven't heard back from the other schools I applied to yet. I am 21 and the youngest person entering Cal Northstate last year was 23. Does age matter?

I'm sure it matters, but it is probably a very very minor thing they've taken into account. My school had an 18 year old last year get into the 4 year program. So it has happened.

Some definite areas for improvement, but I don't think all hope is lost. My guess is you may have a decent shot at the new school. If for whatever reason you don't get in this session, simply work on those problem areas (you should be planning on doing that now even, just in case). That way you already have a head start on next year.

a. Schools you are applying to
University of Michigan, Wayne State, Ferris State, others to be determined

b. Overall GPA

c. Math/Science GPA

d. GPA in last one or two school years

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
To be determined, taking in September

f. Pharmacy experience obtained
2+ years working full time in a retail pharmacy as a certified technician

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
Will be applying this fall

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
1 from my pharmacy manager
1 form my histology professor

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
Before I did retail in pharmacy I worked in the same retail store for 4 years, all sorts of different positions
100 hours of volunteer work in a hospital
And most likely more hours of volunteering in a free clinic beginning this summer

j. Self-perception of interview skills
Good, but room for improvement

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
Haven't gotten that far yet!

hey guys i need some support cuz im stressed about school and junk. apps coming up this summer tell me where i stand, I plan to apply to USC, UCSD, UCSF, and Oregon State:

Oregon state gen sci. major w/pre-pharm option
pre-pharm gpa - 3.93 at the moment, will be 3.9-3.95 depending on how i do this quarter
pre-reqs left after this quarter:
-biochem
-anatomy/physiology
-physics III
-microbio lab

work - community pharmacy tech for 2 years
inpatient tech volunteer summer
2 hospital shadows
volunteer work at pediatics office
volunteer with boys and girls club
volunteer at school blood drives
Division 1 track and field

letters gonna be from 2 pharmacist, 1 doctor, 1 chem teacher

i live in so.cal so id like to move back hopefully i dont get discriminated against cuz i go to OSU, even though its the best science school in oregon

If you interview well, you'll probably get in anywhere that doesn't require the PCAT.

My input is in bold:

University of Michigan, Wayne State, Ferris State, others to be determined

b. Overall GPA

Competitive, but how difficult of a course load were you taking at the time? The minimum number of credits or more?

c. Math/Science GPA

Competitive.

Competitive.

To be determined, taking in September

Doing well here will reinforce that you actually have some sort of retention of the material.

2+ years working full time in a retail pharmacy as a certified technician

Good, this is the average amount of experience at my school.

Will be applying this fall

1 from my pharmacy manager
1 form my histology professor

The schools you are applying to only require 2 LoRs? Both of the ones I applied to required 3 but would take up to 4. Either way those are good starting choices.

Before I did retail in pharmacy I worked in the same retail store for 4 years, all sorts of different positions
100 hours of volunteer work in a hospital
And most likely more hours of volunteering in a free clinic beginning this summer

Good here but nothing that really jumps out at me as unique. The clinic work would look nice but TBH you have quite a bit of volunteer work already. That won't add much flavor to your CV. What I would suggest is to get involved in some sort of leadership organization. Join a club or better yet form one yourself. Join a student leadership organization or do something along those lines. Schools these days are really emphasizing the role of leadership as a pharmacist. You need to be able to lead others (techs, your community, etc) so having any sort of leadership experience would really add to your CV, much more so than adding another volunteering activity. It is much easier to volunteer, it is more difficult to lead.

Good, but room for improvement

Mock interviews. They seem stupid at first but they definitely help. You'll have more confidence at the actual interviews knowing you did some preparation, even if you don't know the exact questions they may ask you.

Haven't gotten that far yet!

Start writing it now! If even to just get some rough ideas down. Once you get a few drafts have the writing center at your school go over it. Have your friends/family read it. The more eyes the better. Make sure they let you know as to the readability of your letter and not just the content. You may think it is strong but they may think it is boring drivel. Remember the more you stand out the better. Your PS is the doorway to the rest of your CV and you want it to shine.

I wasn't sure if this was the appropriate place to do this, but I will post my stats here since I am wanting to know if I'm on track at this point in time. I am finishing the second semester of my undergrad this month, so I am only a first year student. I plan to apply for the 2014-2015 cycle, so I still have a year to strengthen anything that's glaringly bad with my stats and info which is why I want to post so early. I realize that all of these statistics will change by the time I apply, but I'd really appreciate any advise anyone has for me!

a. Schools you are applying to: My dream school is UF, I am still looking for backups

b. Overall GPA: First semester- 3.76, expected second semester- 3.89

c. Math/Science GPA: First semester- 3.57, expected second semester- 3.83

d. GPA in last one or two school years: See above

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Will take next summer

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Committed to volunteer for a year in a hospital pharmacy (~100 hours, 4 hours once a week) and will probably renew that commitment after the year is over. NOTE: I started about a month ago and have realized that I have zero interaction with actual pharmacists (I get orders from pharm techs).

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Plan to have everything ready for the first day PharmCAS opens

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: Unsure, I am not close to any professors or pharmacists so I feel pressure to fix that over the next year by going to office hours. I don't know where I can get to know a pharmacist well enough to write me a LOR

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience:
>Elected as volunteer director of pre-pharmacy club for next semester, will likely apply for another officer position in the future
>Committee member of Philanthropy Committee in an honors organization (raises money for an organization for terminally ill children)
>As mentioned before, volunteer for 4 hours once a week at a local hospital (this is done through an honors educational reach out program)
>Participated in AVID last semester (a required service learning program through my honors program where I taught college-readiness skills to a class of third graders in a school district deemed at high risk of high school drop outs)
>Unpaid undergrad research position in a psychology lab
>In high school I volunteered in a hospital's gift shop and nurse's unit for a summer
>In high school I volunteered in a church nursery for 3 years (I am not sure most of that time would be included in the timeframe set by pharmCAS)
>In high school I did various other volunteer things, but it varied so much I don't think I'd be able to use any of them

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I am extremely quiet and shy, so this will likely be a weak area for me

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I write well, but I haven't written the personal statement yet

Other notes:
>I am a member of the honors college at my university
>I am a National Hispanic Scholar (would I mention this when applying to pharmacy school?)
>I just got inducted into the Phi Eta Sigma honor society, but it seems slightly disorganized so I don't know how much involvement I can get out of that
>I got a lot of credits through AP courses in high school, including a few pre reqs for pharmacy school
>I will be classified as a Junior after this semester
>I am majoring in Biomedical sciences and minoring in Psychology
>I likely won't have my degree completed by the time I graduate

I have only taken pretty basic science courses up to now (with the exception of my crazy anatomy course this semester), so my GPA might fluctuate when I get into the orgo chemistries and biochemistry in the next few semesters. If you have any advise for strengthening my current "application" information, I would appreciate it!

Just going to put my input in bold (easier that way)..

I wasn't sure if this was the appropriate place to do this, but I will post my stats here since I am wanting to know if I'm on track at this point in time. I am finishing the second semester of my undergrad this month, so I am only a first year student. I plan to apply for the 2014-2015 cycle, so I still have a year to strengthen anything that's glaringly bad with my stats and info which is why I want to post so early. I realize that all of these statistics will change by the time I apply, but I'd really appreciate any advise anyone has for me!

Good that you are planning on starting early. Since you are going to apply with only the basic prereqs you are going to really have to knock their socks off. I did a quick look to see if I could find out what % of students are admitted without a 4 year degree, but couldn't find it on their site. I know there is a condensed info sheet of all schools out there somewhere though. Either way, you are likely going to really need to look competitive in order to have a serious shot.

a. Schools you are applying to: My dream school is UF, I am still looking for backups

b. Overall GPA: First semester- 3.76, expected second semester- 3.89

Good so far, keep this up there.

c. Math/Science GPA: First semester- 3.57, expected second semester- 3.83

Good so far, keep this up there.

d. GPA in last one or two school years: See above

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Will take next summer

Make sure you do well on the exam. Aim for an 80%+ to look competitive. They say 70+ on their site, but obviously the higher the better. Most top schools I've seen have around a mid to high 70% range for average admittance on scores, so that should be your low point.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Committed to volunteer for a year in a hospital pharmacy (~100 hours, 4 hours once a week) and will probably renew that commitment after the year is over. NOTE: I started about a month ago and have realized that I have zero interaction with actual pharmacists (I get orders from pharm techs).

That sucks.. there isn't any way you can ask to work with a pharmacist? If not I would maybe cut down on the volunteering (if possible) and do a shadowing experience with a pharmacist. If you can shadow a pharmacist not only will that look good (that you are looking into different aspects of the field), but you can then also develop a relationship with that individual and maybe use them as a reference for one of your LoR. The other aspect of that is you can then bring up what they do in your interview to impress your interviewer with your pharmacy knowledge. You will likely get asked questions about the pharmacy field during your interview and shadowing a pharmacist will allow you to pull in some real experiential knowledge into your interview. It will be more natural and you'll feel more comfortable talking about it.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Plan to have everything ready for the first day PharmCAS opens

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: Unsure, I am not close to any professors or pharmacists so I feel pressure to fix that over the next year by going to office hours. I don't know where I can get to know a pharmacist well enough to write me a LOR

If possible get close to one of your profs. Having someone that can speak about your academic ability is key to the ad com. They are looking for information that will show them you can handle a heavy course load and upper level material. If you can, I'd get a prof. If you can't, it isn't the end of the world. I didn't have one and got in.. I just would recommend it. If you see my shadowing advice above I know a lot of people that have shadowed a pharmacist (or other health professional) and then asked them for a LoR. So that would be 2 right there. Lastly, do you have a job or someone from where you volunteer that you would trust to write a LoR? If not then I would start talking to another prof and see if you can get 2 profs to write you LoR. It is never to later in the semester to start building a relationship. Stay late after class, pop into their office hours and ask intelligent questions. Show them that you have a real desire to know more about what they are teaching, and that you are interested beyond just getting an 'A'.

>Elected as volunteer director of pre-pharmacy club for next semester, will likely apply for another officer position in the future
>Committee member of Philanthropy Committee in an honors organization (raises money for an organization for terminally ill children)
>As mentioned before, volunteer for 4 hours once a week at a local hospital (this is done through an honors educational reach out program)
>Participated in AVID last semester (a required service learning program through my honors program where I taught college-readiness skills to a class of third graders in a school district deemed at high risk of high school drop outs)
>Unpaid undergrad research position in a psychology lab
>In high school I volunteered in a hospital's gift shop and nurse's unit for a summer
>In high school I volunteered in a church nursery for 3 years (I am not sure most of that time would be included in the timeframe set by pharmCAS)
>In high school I did various other volunteer things, but it varied so much I don't think I'd be able to use any of them

Excellent work here. You have both leadership and volunteering areas covered well. I'd include as much as you possibly can. Also make sure you think about which one is most important to you, as PharmCAS asks you to rank them in order of importance. This could be an interview question as well. If you have more free-time and could undertake something else without having your grades suffer, another leadership activity could only help. Student Senate is one that I recommend, looks good, and isn't that intensive, also a good area for networking and personal development. If not I wouldn't worry as it looks like you have a lot to talk about already.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I am extremely quiet and shy, so this will likely be a weak area for me

I would start working on this ASAP. Not to scare you, but I know a girl who had a very good CV and was denied 4 times to the same school. The only thing I can think of for a reason why is that she was very quiet and shy. Very nice girl, extremely hard worker, it's just that she got beet red and had difficulty talking to people in high pressure situations like that. What I would recommend is to start doing some mock interviews ASAP. There are questions here on SDN directly from your school's interview (do a search you'll find them), there are also other possible questions that you can find via google. Get a list of those ~100-150 questions and have a friend/family member interview you. Record yourself if you want and look back on how you did. Check on eye contact, how many times you say "um" or "like", handshake, posture, how natural you seem to be able to converse, etc. Trust me it helps. I did it 5-6 times and I felt really comfortable. I also interviewed 1st at a 2ndary choice of school which gave me some real practice for the school I really wanted to get into. You will be nervous regardless of how much practice you get in, but at least this way you'll feel confident that you have put in effort to get to a level where you can communicate effectively (they expect a certain level of nervousness).

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I write well, but I haven't written the personal statement yet

Start writing ASAP! Have as many people look at it as possible (there is a proofreading section here in our forums). Have the writing center at your school go over it. Have friends/family go over it. Have them evaluate it for content as well as readability. You want to make sure you don't put someone to sleep when they read it. This is probably the most important thing about your application. They will read this before looking at your other material. You want to give them a good impression about yourself before they even look at the rest of your application.

Other notes:
>I am a member of the honors college at my university
>I am a National Hispanic Scholar (would I mention this when applying to pharmacy school?)
>I just got inducted into the Phi Eta Sigma honor society, but it seems slightly disorganized so I don't know how much involvement I can get out of that
>I got a lot of credits through AP courses in high school, including a few pre reqs for pharmacy school
>I will be classified as a Junior after this semester
>I am majoring in Biomedical sciences and minoring in Psychology
>I likely won't have my degree completed by the time I graduate

Not sure what the National Hispanic Scholar is, but I would definitely mention it. Likely your interviewer won't know what it is and then you could talk about it and use it as a talking point. The more you can control the interview by talking about how great you are the better :). It helps to use "buzz terms" like saying you are a "well rounded" and "diverse" student, but make sure you support those statements with your CV. It definitely looks like you are on the right track and it looks like a solid start to a really great CV. Really the only thing "going against you" would be not having your degree done prior to matriculation. While this isn't something that is a going to immediately get you cut, it should be grounds for you to really step up your game and make sure you stand out head and shoulder above the rest. I think with a well written PS and a few other additions here and there you will be a strong candidate, even at a competitive program where the majority of people applying have their degrees.

P.s. it's "advice" :)

Last edited:
a. Schools you are applying to: University of Minnesota
b. Overall GPA: 3.61
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.44
d. GPA last one or two years: 3.71
e. PCAT scores: taking this summer
f. Pharmacy Experience Obtained: Certified Pharmacy Technician, I've worked in a retail pharmacy since September 2012 and I have completed 200+ hours. I will shadow in a hospital for 50 hours this summer.
g. Date of application submission: not completed yet
h. 3 letters of recommendation: 2 pharmacists and 1 associate professor of biology
i. Non-pharmacy experience: I've worked at a grocery store in the produce department since February of 2011. Volunteered 50 hours at a local food bank.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I think i'm a good interviewee. I have been offered a job for every interview I've had.
I am also a member of Alpha Lambda Delta honors society, and I have tutored organic chemistry. I had an research abstract accepted by NCUR for a research project I worked on with my organic chemistry professor and another student.

I'm majoring in health sciences and minoring in chemistry.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, I know there are quite a lot of these threads floating around, but after looking at a dozen of them, I still don't have a clear idea of what my own chances will be...

I'm applying to 0-6 pharmacy schools-

University of Findlay ( Favorite Choice )
Ohio Northern University ( Great School, close to home )
MCPHS ( Heard it's easy to get in to, keeping it just in case. )

My stats ( They are not great, but not bad either :/ )
GPA- 3.75 unweighted / 4.1 weighted
ACT- 27 (24 English/25 Reading/28 Math/30 Science)
Rank- 5 out of 150, my school is pretty bad :/
ECs- Honor society, History Club, Student Counsel

I just want a reality check. Please tell me my realistic chances, even if it's not what I want to hear.

Okay semester almost over and about to ask for letters of recommendations. Let me have it one last time.

Touro College of Pharmacy (New York), Fairleigh Dickinson University – Medco School of Pharmacy, Saint Joseph’s University, Albany College of Pharmacy, LECOM Erie - PA, Long Island University

b. Overall GPA: 3.35

c. Math/Science GPA: Science GPA: 3.45 Math GPA: 3.30

d. GPA in last one or two school years: GPA (Junior Year):

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Will Take in September

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: One month shadowing at a Retail Pharmacy

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Hopefully at the beginning of June.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 LOR from my Gen Chem / Organic Chem Professor. 1 LOR from my Gen Bio / Microbiology Professor. 1 LOR from my A&P / Cell Bio Professor

Educational Opportunity Fund Student Association, September 2012 - Present
- Community Service Coordinator
Muslim Student Association, February 2012 - Present
Peer Mentor, Educational Opportunity Fund Program, June 2011 - Present
Asian Club, September 2010 - Present
Emerging Leaders, February 2011 – April 2011
Volunteer / Mentor - Boys & Girls Club of New Jersey (Fall Semester of Freshman Year)
Volunteer – Emegency Room at a local Hospital (About a year and half)
Volunteer – Educational Opportunity Fund Office
Community Service - Junkyard Dogs
Community Service - MLK Community Service (Park Clean-Up)

j. Self-perception of interview skills: BEAST Mode! Lol only thing I'm confident about.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Decent. Many have / will proofread.
This is pretty much it. Any other ways to improve?

Okay semester almost over and about to ask for letters of recommendations. Let me have it one last time.

Touro College of Pharmacy (New York), Fairleigh Dickinson University – Medco School of Pharmacy, Saint Joseph’s University, Albany College of Pharmacy, LECOM Erie - PA, Long Island University

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Hopefully at the beginning of June.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 LOR from my Gen Chem / Organic Chem Professor. 1 LOR from my Gen Bio / Microbiology Professor. 1 LOR from my A&P / Cell Bio Professor

Volunteer / Mentor - Boys & Girls Club of New Jersey (Fall Semester of Freshman Year)

j. Self-perception of interview skills: BEAST Mode! Lol only thing I'm confident about.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Decent. Many have / will proofread.

Snowball's chance in hell.

Okay so it's hard to tell without your PCAT score, but overall I think you'll be fine. Just make sure you highlight the extracurriculars that are relevant or that you were most involved in. Fluff is never good to bring up in an interview. Kill the PCAT and you'll be good.

"Snowball's chance in hell." Really that bad? And I'm a bad test taker, gonna study hard and hope for the best.

Can someone please tell me about my chances to get into a UC school given my GPA is 3.9 and mcat is 30. I know there are other factors, but going on those two what to do you think?

Can someone please tell me about my chances to get into a UC school given my GPA is 3.9 and mcat is 30. I know there are other factors, but going on those two what to do you think?

For pharmacy school, your GPA is solid but the MCAT has no relevance. For med school, your GPA is solid but your MCAT score could be better.

For Fall 2014 admission

a.) Schools applying to: UMN, OSU, UW-Madison, U-Michigan, U-Iowa, UC-Denver.

b.) Cumulative GPA: 2.49 GPAs include retaken classes

c.) Math/Science GPA: 2.62 I was a careless student until I decided on pharmacy

d.) Last 75 credits: 3.43

e.) Since transferring to university from cc 2 years ago: 3.452

Notable Prereqs:

(Before pursuing pharmacy)

Public Speaking: C
General Psych: C
Sociology: C
Comp I: C
Comp II: B

(After pursuing pharmacy)

Gen Chem I: A

Gen Chem II: A-

Orgo I: B

Orgo I Lab: B+

Orgo II: A

Orgo II Lab: Taking in Fall

Gen Bio: A-

Cell and Molecular Bio: A

Microbio: A-

Genetics: B+

Anat + Phys. I and II: Taking 2013-2014

Calculus-based Physics I: B

Physics Lab I: B-

Calculus-based Physics II: A-

Physics Lab II: A-

Calculus: A

Statistics: A

Microeconomics: B+

f.) PCAT score: Will take it this September

g.) Experience:
-Shadowed hospital pharmacy technician in multiple areas of same hospital.
-PTCB certified since march 2011, and have since done continuing education to keep it.
-Was a backup pharmacy technician at Walgreen's for a few months.
-CPR certified
-Certified pharmacy technician for over a year at retail setting.
-Will work as a pharmacy technician over the summer and 2013-2014 academic year at a free clinic in town

h.) Application submission date: Cannot do it yet.

i.) LORs- Will be getting three:
-Pharmacist I work with
-Organic professor (doing research with him in the fall)
-Cell and Molecular Bio Professor

j.) Non-Pharmacy experience:
-Fed Ex package loader for 1 month
-Walgreen's cashier for 2.5 years (while acting as backup pharm tech for a few months)
-Took class on being a pharmacy technician (memorized lots of drugs and laws)
-University pre-pharmacy club treasurer
-Pre-health club member
-Performing research on stereochemistry of drugs (broad topic so far) with organic professor in fall 2013. In spring 2014, I will present this to the entire chemistry department, along with anyone else who decides to show up.
-Wrote honors paper on the benefits of pharmacogenomics
-Traveled to Central America to provide free health care to underprivileged communities for two weeks.
-Currently honors student set to graduate with BS-biochemistry, Minor-biology in spring 2014.
-Hope to be volunteering at food pantry in town over summer and 2013-2014 academic year.

k.) Self Perception of Interview Skills: I need to make sure I will be ready for the types of questions they'll ask. I tend to drag a topic kind of far, but I'm very excited to talk about why I want to pursue pharmacy, how I got interested, where I think pharmacy will go in 10 years, the growing need for MTM, etc.

l.) Personal Statement: Not too worried about this, as I write eloquently and am excited about this part of the application.

. Schools you are applying to
Albany College in VT, Husson Univ in ME, New England Univ, Univ of Cinnci, Univ of KY, considering some of the Cali Schools like UCSF, but I don't think my grades would stand the first round of cutting.
b. Overall GPA -
3.25 (Undergrad)
2.88 (Graduate) (Top 5 program in country for chem)

c. Math/Science GPA -
3.48 (With only Undergrad classes)

d. GPA in last one or two school years -
3.21 (Got sick my senior year of college and it was a lot higher my first three years. Will explain in my letter of intent.)

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) -
haven't taken it yet
Practice Pearson 92%
July 2013 scores will be reposted

f. Pharmacy experience obtained-
1 year of retail, and currently looking for a hospital position

July 2013

Pharmacy Manager
My undergraduate academic advisor who I also did research under and have a fantastic rapport with
My graduate thesis advisor/boss whom I published 3 publications with and is very famous in his field of work, we also get along well
My fourth alternate is a prof I worked with at one of my NSF REUs

2 years as a Graduate Research Scientist (Three peer reviewed journal publications, one of which I am first author)
2 years as a Teaching assistant
7 Years of Tutoring Experience for Organic Chem, Gen Chem, and Bio (Paid and Vol)
2 NSF-REU Undergrad Research Jobs, with the first one giving me my first journal publication at the age of 20
Certified Pharmacy Tech
Member of the American Chemistry Society

1.) Habitat Chair at my local Church
2.) Region alumni coordinator for volunteer work for my Grad univ (I organize a lot of charity events)
3.) Mentored Undergrads in the research lab while they were doing research
4.) Helped the local chapter of my sorority at my Graduate school with charity events
5.) Fundraising Chair in my Sorority Chapter in college
-participated in volunteer events with my sorority
(My favorite doing live demos of chemistry reactions to elem age children)
6.) President of Chemistry Honor Society
7.) President of Chemistry Club
8.) Founder of Japanese Culture Club
9.) Member of Creative Arts Society
10.) Member of Catholic Leadership Institute for Youth for my Diocese in High School

Not sure where to put this but I have also done presentations at various conferences.

j. Self-perception of interview skills -
Not so worried about this part, I tend to ramble though and need to practice a bit.
STAR questions are helpful (if anyone wants any pointers)

Awful, I hate writing about myself and am having a hard time explaining why I am transitioning from R&D to Pharmacy. I also have a medical condition that gets in the way sometimes showing my lower GPA in Undergrad and Grad school.

Last edited:
B.A. in Biology-Psychology from Tufts University

3.1 GPA
2.9 Prerequisite GPA

No Pharmacy Experience.

Applying to MCPHS Worcester. They do NOT require PCAT.

I'm pretty much banking on the strength of my undergraduate degree to get me in (Tufts is the third best college in Massachusetts after Harvard and MIT).

Thoughts?:luck:

3.1 GPA
2.9 Prerequisite GPA

No Pharmacy Experience.

I'm pretty much banking on the strength of my undergraduate degree to get me in (Tufts is the third best college in Massachusetts after Harvard and MIT).

So what compels you to want to do pharmacy?

3.1 GPA
2.9 Prerequisite GPA

No Pharmacy Experience.

Please no. Do not make the majority of your application strength come from where you got your undergrad degree from. Like I said, I come from UC Davis and that's an excellent place to go to for undergrad as well, but I did not make that my forte for the application.

You need leverage and you don't have it. Take the PCAT, destroy it, and apply broadly. You will put yourself in a hell of a better situation if you do.

Lastly, there is a reason why I posted in both of your threads as well as quoting you in this thread; you're not giving yourself the opportunity to strengthen your application and you really do need it.

So what compels you to want to do pharmacy?

Well, I was originally a pre-med student. I am now entering my senior year of college and realizing that my stats are nowhere near good enough to get into medical school. In order to get into medical school, I would have to take 1-2 gap years and complete a Masters of Science Program and a bunch of other stuff. In weighing the comparative costs of that route , I came to yet another realization: I'm not that into medicine. I always thought I was, but, in reality, it is a bit too daunting for me. I am more interested in the pharmacology behind medicine vs. its diagnostic aspects.

Also, I live in Worcester, and I think it would be convenient to go to MCPHS. Then again, so would UMass School of Medicine, but that is a super long shot, like I said...So here I am, trying my hand at pharmacy.

Take the PCAT, destroy it, and apply broadly. You will put yourself in a hell of a better situation if you do.

I understand where you are coming from, but the thing is I am not interested in any other pharmacy school besides MCPHS. I live in Worcester, within walking distance of MCPHS in fact. It's going to be the only school I apply to, since I am not interested in relocating. Pharmacy is an all or nothing thing for me right now. I either get into MCPHS and become a pharmacist or I get rejected and then take on the long, arduous road to getting into medical school.

Basically, I don't think I can get into med school, so I am applying to a local pharmacy school just for the hell of it. If I get in, I will do pharmacy. If not, I will have a year to improve my grades and apply again, this time to medical school.

In other words, I am letting the adcoms of MCPHS decide my future for me :laugh:

Well, I was originally a pre-med student. I am now entering my senior year of college and realizing that my stats are nowhere near good enough to get into medical school. In order to get into medical school, I would have to take 1-2 gap years and complete a Masters of Science Program and a bunch of other stuff. In weighing the comparative costs of that route , I came to yet another realization: I'm not that into medicine. I always thought I was, but, in reality, it is a bit too daunting for me. I am more interested in the pharmacology behind medicine vs. its diagnostic aspects.

Also, I live in Worcester, and I think it would be convenient to go to MCPHS. Then again, so would UMass School of Medicine, but that is a super long shot, like I said...So here I am, trying my hand at pharmacy.

I understand where you are coming from, but the thing is I am not interested in any other pharmacy school besides MCPHS. I live in Worcester, within walking distance of MCPHS in fact. It's going to be the only school I apply to, since I am not interested in relocating. Pharmacy is an all or nothing thing for me right now. I either get into MCPHS and become a pharmacist or I get rejected and then take on the long, arduous road to getting into medical school.

Basically, I don't think I can get into med school, so I am applying to a local pharmacy school just for the hell of it. If I get in, I will do pharmacy. If not, I will have a year to improve my grades and apply again, this time to medical school.

In other words, I am letting the adcoms of MCPHS decide my future for me :laugh:

I see where you're coming from in some aspect, but I would go for the career you want to be in for the rest of your life even if it takes you a few more years. I have known so many pharmacists who regretted their decision because they rushed into it without researching it first. I'm not saying this will happen to you, but if there is any way you can get exposure to the field, not so much for application improvement but more importantly to see if you truly want to do this. Also, most jobs lie in retail than hospital so also take that into consideration. If you have worked retail before and hated it, pharmacy will eat you alive(retail that is).

b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA

a. University of Florida, University of South Florida.
b. 3.96
c. 3.97
d. 3.96
e. Taking it in September!
f. Shands at the University of Florida, Volunteering experience, Town and Country Hospital Tampa, Fl
g. In process! (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)

h. I have two from professors and one from a pharmacist. The first of the professors has been my PI for my undergraduate research project; the second is the doctor of the lab in which I conducted the micro research/undergraduate thesis. The letter from the pharmacist is from my best friend's aunt who I have shadowed for a few months at a local hospital in Tampa, Fl.
i. Work Experience: Dollar Tree, Inc, Store clerk. Lifeguard at SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment, Research Assistant at the Cancer and Genetics Research Institute at UF (biotechnology lab/previous genetics professor). Volunteering through college: St. Francis Homeless Shelter of Gainesville (1 semester), Emerging Pathogens Institute (Undergraduate Researcher +150 hours), Hispanic Student Association Community Service Director at UF (3 semester position).

Not too great at standardized testing so hopefully grades can help make up for it a little.

I do pretty good in interviews in my opinion. I've had several work related interviews and phone interviews as well. Definitely need to practice some and read more about healthcare/obamacare.

k. Currently in progress..:thumbup:
Additional classes: Microbiology, Biochemistry
Graduating (hopefully Summa, thesis in submission) this summer from UF. Applying for 2014 cycle!

Score at least 70th percentile and you will get in UF for sure.

Score at least 70th percentile and you will get in UF for sure.

I spoke to my bud on the committee and that's exactly the percentile she told me. Dr. Collins until test day...

I spoke to my bud on the committee and that's exactly the percentile she told me. Dr. Collins until test day...

Yea if you are using dr Collins you will be fine. Good luck!

For sure thanks! That was the word on the street vs Kaplan, so I decided on Collins. I'm much better at school than standardized tests tho so we will see.