*~*WAMC (what are my chances?) Megathread*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have more than three years Pharmacy tech experience...

Verbal: 56
Reading Comp: 14
Biology: 79
Math: 93
Chemistry: 98

Members don't see this ad.

As it currently stands, you fail to meet the GPA cutoff for most schools. Since your solid PCAT score shows that you can handle the chem/math/bio material, you should either retake classes where you made a C or lower to improve your GPA or take upper level courses which show that you can handle graduate level material. It's completely possible, but you have some necessary GPA rehab to get your grades up to snuff.

Good luck!

I have a bachelors degree in Chemistry, but my accumulative is below a 2.5
I recently took the PCAT and got a composite of 82...How tangible are my chances of getting into Pharmacy school?

Questions like these are best posted in the WAMC thread. This is probably the best and fastest way to get input on your chances. Thread moved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Pharmerjohn and Jibby. I guess I couldn't really decide where exactly I wanted to be geographically and looked at a lot of schools around the nation because I had a lot of time to.

I am currently deciding where to list my residence as on my app... I live in NYC and my dad has a place in FL so I could use either of those for in-state tuition. UF appeals to me, especially the St. Pete campus since it's close to my dad's place in Sarasota but I am worried about not being "intellectually challenged" down there. I've spent the past 4 years in NYC and would probably like to leave here. The only in-state school in NY is Buffalo and I already spent 4 years in Ithaca so I don't know if I want to go through crazy winters again though the school is very strong.

The UC's seem pretty cheap even for nonresidents. UCSD and UCSF are kind of my dream skoolz. If I could find a residence to list in CA, that could save me 8k or so a year. I just don't knowww. Probably can eliminate all the TX schools and the non-NY, non-CA, non-FL ones too. Except for Hawaii, lol, because that could be so fun.
Texas and California schools are HARD to get into if you are out-of-state! I think they accept <10% OOS students!

Your situation is almost identical to mine. Bachelor's degree with 2.6 gpa (strong upward trend of 4.0 within last 60 units) and 84 PCAT. I'm retaking mine in a month for a better score. I also have 4 years certified tech experience, hospital experience, and a ton of volunteering and leadership experience. Sorry I can't answer your question, because I am still waiting for my transcript to be received by Pharmcas before I submit. I probably won't hear back from the schools for a while, but I will update if I do. If it's any consolation, there are others on the same boat as you, so join the club. :D Oh, and try to stay positive, as there's no point crying over spilt milk. Good luck! :)

Yes join the club! Lol there are many others applying to mcp worcester that have around the minimum gpa requirement. U just have to strengthen ur application in other areas. It can be done!

I am currently in university and I am wondering how realistic my chances are for Pharmacy school.

I had a rough first year and I didn't do to well, if you had to ask I'd blame it on immaturity. I attempted 27 credits in my first year and only passed 12 of them, this is significantly dragging down my GPA.

I went to a community college in the spring of the next year and then transferred back to the university the next spring. My GPA:

First attempt at university:1.47(after retaking a science class)

Semesters at CC
Spring 2011: 3.55
Fall 2012: 3.67

Semsters at University(second attempt)
Spring 2013: 3.52
Fall 2013: looking well, would guess 3.7-3.8

Current cGPA: 2.774
Current sGPA: 3.575(retook a class I failed)

Assuming I keep up my current performance and apply in my senior year, is pharmacy school still realistic? Is that bad year gonna keep my GPA too low?

EDIT: forgot to mention I've been working in a retail pharmacy for 5 months now.

Last edited:
How many years do you have left in school/until you apply?

I've been reading somewhere that there have been people with ~2.75 GPA getting into pharmacy school, so I don't think your chances are shot at all.

I'm applying this cycle, so I can't really say for sure.. but, from what I've seen, ANYBODY has a shot of getting into pharmacy school with the number of schools out there.

If you keep working hard, finish up your bachelor's, do well on the pre-requisites, and score 75th percentile+ on the PCATS.. you have a good shot. With the upward trend you are having, I don't think it will be hard for you, as long as you keep your eye on the prize!

I haven't failed a course, but I've gotten my fair shares of C's and 1 D... but I've been getting quite a number of positive responses from the schools I'm currently applying to. I say just work hard on getting the cumulative to a 3.0+ (as best you can), do well on the PCATs, and show that you are genuine in your personal statement/interview.

(Also, when the time comes, if you have the means, apply to a LOT of schools to be safe)

GOOD LUCK :D don't lose hope!! :p

Counting this semester I have 3 semesters before I apply.
I believe my cumulative will be in the 3.0-3.1 range if all goes well, it's just that first year will look quite horrible to pharmacy schools, it has me more than a little worried.

Hi fellow pharmacy students

I wanted to know what my chances are of getting into pharmacy school.
Did any one get interviews yet?
If you did have an interview; could you tell me if they have a math exam with a writing portion? What school was it? Did they only ask personal question? Or did they ask other academic questions like what are the top 200 common drugs?

Did anyone get an email from a school asking for secondaries?

What pharmacy schools are primarily lab based and offer a wide selection of clinic, pharmaceutical, biological labs?

I just graduated from UCLA with a GPA of 3.2
And I took my PCAT and scored a 90 composite
For my experience, I am a eagle scout with more than 4000 hours worth and I worked for Vet clinic for about 300 hours in the pharmacy area.

Im afraid I'm going to get rejected.
I applied to about 25 different school: including
regis, south, hilo, UCSD and etc

>.< Im afraid that I don't have enough experience. What do you think?

I would love your opinions and suggestions

25 schools with your stats? That's gotta be expensive! Anyway, you'll get in to just about every school, if not all.

Oh, and they won't ask you drug questions, as that'll be putting the cart in front of the horse. :D

It may be tough for you to get into Cali schools, like UCSF and UCSD, but you have a ok shot I feel. I feel you have a great shot at top out of state schools like UNC, Texas, Minnesota, Iowa, Maryland Colorado, etc... As long as you show your passion and knowledge about pharmacy, you're all but set.

None of my interviews made me do a math exam nor anything academically. Majority of your interview questions will be from the interview feedback page..

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=pharmacy

Pretty straight forward. I had a lower gpa, pcat than you and I'm in pharmacy school.

Hi fellow pharmacy students

I wanted to know what my chances are of getting into pharmacy school.
Did any one get interviews yet?
If you did have an interview; could you tell me if they have a math exam with a writing portion? What school was it? Did they only ask personal question? Or did they ask other academic questions like what are the top 200 common drugs?

Did anyone get an email from a school asking for secondaries?

What pharmacy schools are primarily lab based and offer a wide selection of clinic, pharmaceutical, biological labs?

For my experience, I am a eagle scout with more than 4000 hours worth and I worked for Vet clinic for about 300 hours in the pharmacy area.

>.< Im afraid that I don't have enough experience. What do you think?

I would love your opinions and suggestions

I think you have great chance. Your GPA is not bad and you have a high GPA plus pharmacy experience. Be confident this time!

>.< Im afraid that I don't have enough experience.

What.....*rubs eyes* Did I read that right?

OT - You're doubting yourself too much. You'll be in very good shape for this application cycle. I had a 2.9GPA and a 91 composite as well as certain ECs that set me apart from a majority of the applicants, just like what you did, and I got into pharmacy school. I would be very surprised if you did not receive interview invites to the schools you apply to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently in university and I am wondering how realistic my chances are for Pharmacy school.

I had a rough first year and I didn't do to well, if you had to ask I'd blame it on immaturity. I attempted 27 credits in my first year and only passed 12 of them, this is significantly dragging down my GPA.

I went to a community college in the spring of the next year and then transferred back to the university the next spring. My GPA:

First attempt at university:1.47(after retaking a science class)

Semesters at CC
Spring 2011: 3.55
Fall 2012: 3.67

Semsters at University(second attempt)
Spring 2013: 3.52
Fall 2013: looking well, would guess 3.7-3.8

Current cGPA: 2.774
Current sGPA: 3.575(retook a class I failed)

Assuming I keep up my current performance and apply in my senior year, is pharmacy school still realistic? Is that bad year gonna keep my GPA too low?

EDIT: forgot to mention I've been working in a retail pharmacy for 5 months now.

How many years do you have left in school/until you apply?

I've been reading somewhere that there have been people with ~2.75 GPA getting into pharmacy school, so I don't think your chances are shot at all.

I'm applying this cycle, so I can't really say for sure.. but, from what I've seen, ANYBODY has a shot of getting into pharmacy school with the number of schools out there.

If you keep working hard, finish up your bachelor's, do well on the pre-requisites, and score 75th percentile+ on the PCATS.. you have a good shot. With the upward trend you are having, I don't think it will be hard for you, as long as you keep your eye on the prize!

I haven't failed a course, but I've gotten my fair shares of C's and 1 D... but I've been getting quite a number of positive responses from the schools I'm currently applying to. I say just work hard on getting the cumulative to a 3.0+ (as best you can), do well on the PCATs, and show that you are genuine in your personal statement/interview.

(Also, when the time comes, if you have the means, apply to a LOT of schools to be safe)

GOOD LUCK :D don't lose hope!! :p

Counting this semester I have 3 semesters before I apply.
I believe my cumulative will be in the 3.0-3.1 range if all goes well, it's just that first year will look quite horrible to pharmacy schools, it has me more than a little worried.

Merging with the dedicated megathread.

My Stats are
GPA:3.45
Science GPA :3.45
4+ years of being a certified technician for Walgreens
400 hours of volunteer experience
PCAT: only a 29% due to having no time to study...
Schools i'm applying to are:
University of Texas Austin
Incarnate Words University
Lecom (i have an interview on 10/24)
University of Minnesota
Wayne State University
Pacific Oregon University
University of Oklahoma
What are my chances? What should I do to strengthen the app?:)

By request the Pre-Pharmacy forum will be consolidating the WAMC threads into a single master thread. It is our hope that this will reduce the amount of space devoted to the various WAMC threads in circulation at any given time leaving room for other threads on the main page and to give everyone who wants to know what their chances are an idea based on responses to other WAMC posters with similar backgrounds.

How this will work:

Any poster can post a what are my chances question in this thread. Should you decide to post outside this thread, the post will be merged into this thread.

Regarding What are my chances questions:

Rule 1: Be courteous. Given the risk of wasting money on applications, travel, lodging, etc., most people want an idea how likely it is that they are applying to the correct schools based on their own statistics. You may have to tell someone their chances aren't very good, but you don't have to do so in a rude manner.

Rule 2: Please be as complete as possible when listing your application profile. Though we understand the desire for privacy in revealing personal information over the anonymous Internet, it doesn't benefit you if you receive opinions from SDN members having incomplete data about your application. You should include as much of the following as possible:

a. Schools you are applying to
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
d. GPA in last one or two school years
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
f. Pharmacy experience obtained
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
j. Self-perception of interview skills
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality

The more information you list, the better informed others will be when they form an opinion.

Rule 3: This thread is for "what are my chances" posts only and their immediate responses. All "what are my chances" posts found in the SDN Pharmacy forums is subject to a move to this thread. We intend for this thread to consolidate and organize all of these related posts. Therefore, don't create a new thread asking about your chances. We will most likely move it to this thread ASAP.

Rule 4: Search, search, search! The chances are good that someone answered your question through a different SDN user. We can reduce redundancy of posts if you just search the thread first for your answer.(e.g. Improve your chances thread.)

Disclaimer: Unless a user is on the adcom to the school you are asking about, no one can know with any certainty your true chances of acceptance/interview. Those that answer typically have at least applied and received an interview at a school, though maybe not the one you're asking about. As always the best way to find out what your chances are is to contact the school and ask.
a. Schools you are applying to: ( FYI: my parents were really made me apply to all these schools. Yes I did all the secondaries and etc. I literally had a strict sleep schedule for 3-4 weeks.) I had to to slow and thoughtfully work on my essays
Midwestern University- Glendale
Auburn University
California Northstate
California- San Francisco, University of
Campbell University
Ferris State University
Hawaii, University of at Hilo
LECOM Bradenton School of Pharmacy
Loma Linda University
New England, University of
New Mexico, University of
Notre Dame of Maryland University School of Pharmacy
Oregon State University
Pacific, University of the
South University (GA/SC)
Touro University (CA)
University of Georgia
Western University of the Health Sciences
California- San Diego, University of
Charleston, University of
Howard University
Maryland, University of
Thomas Jefferson University
Wyoming, University of
Colorado Denver, University of
Iowa, University of
Mercer University
Northeastern University
Regis University
Samford University
Shenandoah University

b. Overall GPA: 3.1 from University of California of Los Angeles in Dept. of Biochemistry
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.0
d. GPA in last one or two school years 3.0
Composite is 90
verbal 68
bio 79
reading composition 49
quantitative 93
chemistry 98

I have no pharmacy experience. I did however work for a complete Vet clinic. I did work 300 hours with a pharmacy setting for dogs. I don't know if that counts
September 19, 2013 and I am currently working on secondaries. Ill be completed by the end of October 2013

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs =4
1. Professor Dan Nehauser. Professor of Physcial biochemistry at UCLA and reknowned researcher
2. History of Art professor ( a little something othe than science)
3. Statistics professor
4. Physics professor
I am have earned my Girl Scout Eagle award. I was in the Girl Scouts for 10+ years and I have vested
well in over 4000+ volunteering. This ranges from singing christmas carols at foster houses, helping around in a hospital setting or even soup kitchens

I have no idea to how to accurately describe my social skills. I am very easy going and do get very nervous if I have too many eyes in front of me. I do however always answer a question honestly and straight to the point. I don't include extra information until they ask me. I'm not much of a talker. Im not a of a listener. If you give me the chance, I will ask questions pertaining to the topic.
I am always prepared. Before interviews, I research the school/job I am applying for. For example when I ask my professor for LOR, I read several research papers before coming in. In case they ask me about their research. Even better, I review old class material because professors like to ask " what have to learned in my class."
I felt my statement was a little sad and morose. I felt that my essay was honest and heart felt. I did however try not to "focus" on myself to much. I talked about my personal life and my battle with my medical issues and how it relates to drugs. I emphasis that " because of my battles,"
I am compassionate for other in my situation; we all walk a fine line. Of course, all of our experience are different but we all one trait in common: Improve the quality of life for mankind. (This is my essay in a nutshell)

Other concerns:
I am concerned that my GPA is not high enough, reading in PCAT is only 49%, and lack of pharmacy experience. Most of my pharmacy experience came from me. In the last year, I have suffered from a heat stroke, gluten intolerance ,lyme disease, depression and anaphylaxis shocks. I got lyme disease from volunteering with animals and anaphylaxis shock is from food allergies. I am classified as disable because after a coma accident, I have slight depression. I must be on medication. Unfortunately, the medications make me have slight memory lost. My doctors have decided that it is better for me to stay on the medication because the benefits are more than the side effects. I am concerned that my disable will put me at a lower advantage for my pharmacy application.
I do not mention these issues in my application. However, if asked, I will honestly tell them ONLY the essential information. ( I am not proud or happy about it. I do try my best to take it all in and offer what i have back to the world. ))

I have tried to provide as much information as I can. I hope that my fellow peers and mentors can give me a better idea on how to improve my application. I would also appreciate it if anyone could address the concerns I have for pharmacy school and offer me advice.

Im sorry if my story is a sad and personal one. It is not with in my control. I would like to ask my fellow peers and mentors to please not share my information openly to the public.

I would like to ask my fellow peers and mentors to please not share my information openly to the public.

You posted a lot of personal information, and I'd like to kindly remind you that this is a highly public forum. I just want to make sure you're aware that just about anyone will be able to see what you posted. Just a heads up... :)

As for your chances, I think you have a very good chance at getting accepted to many schools. You went to a really competitive school (a Bruin myself) and I'm sure that will help your chance given your higher than average gpa for that school and your very competitive PCAT. Good luck with everything! :)

a. Schools you are applying to - UF, UGA, Mercer, USF, Arizona, LIU
b. Overall GPA - Undergraduate GPA - 2.82 in Chemistry...Masters GPA in Chemistry 3.56
c. Math/Science GPA - I dont have the breakdowns yet...but I failed Calc 1 & 2 and have a few Cs. Other than that I have a ****load of Bs and a few As.
d. GPA in last one or two school years - over 3.0
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) - Verbal Ability : 423/82
Biology: 447/97
Reading Comprehension: 421/86
Quantitative Ability: 399/45 <-- :(
Chemistry: 455/98
Composite: 429/94
f. Pharmacy experience obtained - Over 1,000 hours working an average of 30 hours a week for a year last year of undergrad at a 24 hour CVS pharmacy.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) - Going to submit by the end of this week.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs - 2 from pharmacists, and depending on how busy my research advisors are, another 2 there. They are takign a while though.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience - not much non pharmacy work, but a few volunteering opportunities through various clubs. Shadowed my mother who is a RN at local hospital.
j. Self-perception of interview skills - Pretty good i'd say.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality - I'm still working on it, but ive revised it over 3 times ow with help from tutors and family and friends. Should be pretty good i hope.

My undergraduate grades are hurting me. UF is very hard to get into for OOS students and i'd love to go there. I wouldnt mind UGA either. I just want to go to a good program. What are my chances you think? I hope they take into account my research hours and masters degree.

Hey all, I'm just now thinking about graduating a year early to apply to VCU School of Pharmacy, but am worried my GPA is too low to be accepted this year. What do you all think based on my stats?

Currently Attending: University of Virginia (will graduate one year early)
Cumulative GPA: 3.15
Pre-req GPA: 2.7
PCAT composite- 99: chemistry- 99, biology- 99, quantitative- 96, verbal analysis- 98, reading comprehension- 96

Pharmacy tech at local hospital for 2 years
Volunteer in the pharmacy at UVA hospital
Involved in the pre-pharmacy club at UVA

I just started my 4th year as an undergrad and am planning on applying in 2015. I am planning on retaking my ochem classes (which I got B's and a C+ in) during my time off. I also did not take math while in college since I tested out with my AP scores so I plan on taking that. As well as anatomy with lab since it isn't offered at my school. And public speaking since that also isn't offered. I plan on taking my pharm tech exam within the next month and looking for positions beginning december so hopefully I will have 2-3 years experience by the time I apply/get in. Not sure when/if I am going to take the PCAT (might stay in CA)

a. Schools you are applying to: I don't know yet. Let me know where I might have a shot?
b. Overall GPA: 3.361. Note: I retook a physics class i got a C- in and got a B+ and this GPA reflects the better grade
c. Math/Science GPA:
Bio Sci: 3.184
Chem: 3.050
Physics: 3.153
d. GPA in last one or two school years:
Fall 2012: 3.411
Winter 2013: 3.474
Spring 2013: 3.613
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Not completed
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: None
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): 2015
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs:
None for sure, but I am hoping to ask a non-science prof that I have gotten to know well for one and my research grad student for another. Still need to work on the science profs and pharm exp ones.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience:
Colleges Against Cancer (organize Relay for Life): 2 years involvement, 1 year as secretary & team recruitment
Phi Delta Epsilon Medical Fraternity: 3 years involvement, 1 year as fundraising chair
Neuropharmacology Research: I just started but hope to have two years experience and one student publication by the time I apply
Pre-Pharmacy Society: 1 year involvement
Shadowing colon/rectal surgeon: 1 year and hated it...i.e. my interest in pharmacy, but I gained some exposure to use of drugs during minor medical procedures, etc.
I am a strong interviewer. I am able to think on my feet and am comfortable during interviews. I generally ask thoughtful questions and am able to discuss topics other than those at hand. The interview is not my biggest concern (plus it's so far away).
I obviously haven't written it yet, but it definitely is going to require some thought, research, and work.

It also would be awesome if you guys could give me an idea of what I should work on that I haven't already thought of or where I should focus more time/energy. Thanks!

I am a senior, biology major. I switched my major half-way through my sophomore year from nursing, so my undergrad has been balancing the requirements for my biology degree along with the required pharmacy prerequisites. I managed to fit everything EXCEPT for a year of physics for the pharm prereqs. But, I am taking a year off following graduation. I plan on becoming a certified pharmacy tech and studying for (and hopefully acing) the PCAT in July, and during the fall and spring semesters going to a state school part-time to take Physics and likely Calculus II (to fulfill Cincinnati's prereqs).

**Ohio State University** (top choice)
University of Cincinnati (2nd choice)
- I would prefer to stay in-state but the other Ohio pharmacy schools are 0-6 so the following are in no particular order and primarily serve as my back ups.
Ferris State University
Wayne State University
University of Michigan
University of Pittsburgh
West Virginia University
University of Minnesota

b. Overall GPA
Working hard to improve to a 3.8 by graduation in the spring.

c. Math/Science GPA

Fall 2011 - 3.868
Spring 2012 - 3.544
Fall 2012 - 4.00 <- first year as a BIO major
Spring 2013 - 3.750
Fall 2013 - high A's in all classes so far ... HOPEFULLY 4.0

I have not taken the PCAT, but intend to in July 2014, right after I graduate - until then I am proactively studying with the Dr. Collins study guide and I also have the 2013 Kaplan and Princeton Review for some practice tests and additional study material.

Shadowed a clinical pharmacist (100 hours approximately). Also, within the next few months I plan on becoming a certified pharmacy technician to gain some paid experience during my gap year. If those plans fall through for whatever reason, I will search for more shadowing experience.

Next summer (2014), as early as possible.

4 Letters of Recommendation:
- Genetics professor who offered to write one because I had the highest score in the class
- Biochemistry professor, who I feel would write a very strong letter because I am taking Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry simultaneously and prior she did not recommend doing so but I am getting a high A in both and she's seen the hard work I've put into both classes to achieve this (...and now I can graduate on time :banana: )
- Clinical pharmacist, the same one I shadowed and she happens to be a family friend
- Principal Investigator at UCSD, I conducted research in the Pharmacology department during the summer of 2013

Vice President of Beta Beta Beta National Biological Honor Society
Member of Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society
Member of Pre-professional club
Independent research in the toxicology lab at my home institution
Spent a summer in San Diego doing research in the Pharmacology department

Overall I'd say average - I have already done some mock interviews for a professionalism class, but planning on several more with career services closer to time. I recognized I have a nervous habit of pulling at my sleeves and I am still doubting my ability to craft quality answers on the spot - however, the passion for this field is obviously there. This is definitely the component I am the most worried about. Especially because I'm aware an applicant can look "ideal" but the interview carries a lot of weight.. When I am not nervous I am a very sociable person, so I'm hoping I can overcome the fear of interviewing between now and next year.

Above average, reviewed by my academic adviser, the career services department, and a friend who graduated with a degree in English

Thanks in advance for the feedback and suggestions, it is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
since you are planning on taking a year off you have plenty of time to retake classes at CC while gaining some pharm experience. I left school with a 2.3 and got it to a 2.8 after 1 year.

yes hilo has no minimum requirments

Hi future pharmacist! I wanted to lay out my numbers and experiences and gain insight on what you guys thing my changes are. I am planning on applying to all California schools and a number of schools outside of California that do not require the PCAT.

I have a 3.62 Science gpa. and have experience in working in a clinic as well as traveling to honduras to volunteer two weeks in setting up clinics in rural areas where we distributed medication based on doctors diagnosis. I am looking to shadow a pharmacist and hope will have that established before applying this upcoming June.

I have a 3.62 science, and 3.74 overall. I am a molecular biology major, and have received A's in organic chemistry 1 and 2, cell physiology, genetics, molecular biology, medical microbiology, immunology, physics 2, and statistics. I have B's in Gen bio and Gen chem, and physics 1. as well as B+ in biochem

You can get in basically anywhere you want with that gpa. The PCAT is just an annoyance that in my experience pharmacy schools do not really consider.

With your current gpa, not a chance. Also schools look at the courses you have retaken. If you retake more than 1 chemistry it works against you even if you did phenomenally well the second time around. Your best chance would be to go into a different field.

You can get in basically anywhere you want with that gpa. The PCAT is just an annoyance that in my experience pharmacy schools do not really consider.

Pcat is highly considered.. I wouldn't have gotten in without my pcat

What Schools (that do not require PCAT) do you think I have the best shots at? Also, I am planning to take microeconomics and calculus the summer that I am applying at a CC near my house. ( I graduate from university in May 2014, and don't have room in my schedule to take those two courses in my last semester).

Seems as though you are pretty well qualified. Write a killer personal essay and you should be getting a few interviews! Best of luck

Seems as though you are pretty well qualified. Write a killer personal essay and you should be getting a few interviews! Best of luck
Thanks! Could you maybe tell me a bit about your interview experience back when you were going through this process?

I agree. Seeing all these low GPAs AND PCATs getting accepted has become the norm now instead of being an exception. Looking at the whole applicant is a good thing but when its so low that anyone paying enough tuition money and filling the application fees can get in worries me greatly.

Getting accepted into pharmacy school is different than #1 passing pharmacy school, and #2 getting into a GOOD pharmacy school.

Reactions: 1 users
For Fall 2014 admission

a.) Schools applying to (might shorten list): UMN, UW-Madison, U-Iowa, UC-Denver, Tennessee, Maryland, Ferris State, Midwestern Chicago

b.) Cumulative GPA: 2.54 (Includes all retakes)

c.) Math/Science GPA: ~2.67 (Includes retaken classes. I was a careless student until I decided on pharmacy)

d.) Last ~60 credits: 3.51 (almost all math/science prerequisites, and includes some upper level science courses)

Notable Prereqs:

(Before pursuing pharmacy)

Public Speaking: C
General Psych: C
Sociology: C
Comp I: C
Comp II: B

(After pursuing pharmacy)

Gen Chem I: A

Gen Chem II: A-

Orgo I: B

Orgo I Lab: B+

Orgo II: A

Orgo II Lab: Taking now

Biochemistry I: A

Gen Bio: A-

Cell and Molecular Bio: A

Microbio: A-

Genetics: B+

Anat + Phys. I and II: Taking 2013-2014

Calculus-based Physics I: B

Physics Lab I: B-

Calculus-based Physics II: A-

Physics Lab II: A-

Calculus: A

Statistics: A

Microeconomics: B+

e.) PCAT scores:
Verbal- 403 52 Writing- 3.0 3.28(mean)
Bio- 421 79
RC- 399 49
Quant- 399 45
Chem- 463 99
Comp- 417 81

f.) Experience:
-Shadowed hospital pharmacy technician in multiple areas of same hospital.
-PTCB certified since march 2011, and have since done continuing education to keep it.
-Was a backup pharmacy technician at Walgreen's for a few months.
-CPR certified
-Certified pharmacy technician for a year and a half at retail setting.
-Will volunteer as a pharmacy technician over the summer and 2013-2014 academic year at a free clinic in town

g.) Application submission date: 10/01/13

h.) LORs-
-Pharmacist I work with (Have had great talks with him)
-Organic professor (Earned B and A in his lectures. Doing research with him in now)
-Biochemistry I professor (Academic advisor. Earned A in his class)

i.) Non-Pharmacy experience:
-Fed Ex package loader for 1 month
-Walgreen's cashier for 2.5 years (while acting as backup pharm tech for a few months)
-Took class on being a pharmacy technician (memorized lots of drugs and laws)
-University pre-pharmacy club treasurer
-Pre-health club member
-Performing research on stereochemistry of drugs (broad topic so far) with organic professor in fall 2013. In spring 2014, I will present this to the entire chemistry department, along with anyone else who decides to show up.
-Wrote honors paper on the benefits of pharmacogenomics
-Traveled to Central America to provide free health care to underprivileged communities for two weeks.
-Currently honors student set to graduate with BS-biochemistry, Minor-biology in spring 2014.
-Often visit and help serve a family member with multiple sclerosis; in and out of wheel chair using a hoyer, etc.

j.) Self Perception of Interview Skills: I currently have an interview at UC-Denver on 11/15 and need to make sure I will be ready for the types of questions they might ask. I tend to drag a topic kind of far, but I'm very excited to talk about why I want to pursue pharmacy, how I got interested, etc.

k.) Personal Statement: I believe it is good.

Let me begin by apologizing as I know there are many threads like this but I hope that my questions and concerns can be addressed.

As of right now I'm a senior at one of the UCs as a Biology major. Here is my story and my stats:

Chem A - C / Lab - C+
Chem B - C / Lab - C-
Chem C - C+ / Lab - B-

Ochem A - C
Ochem B - C
Ochem C - C+

Physics A - C- / Lab - B
Physics B - B- / Lab - C
Physics C - A- / Lab - B

Calculus I - C
Calculus II - C
Calculus III - B-
Differential Equations - C+
Statistics - B+

Cell Bio - B

Biochem (intro) - B-
Biochem A (in progress)
Biochem B (planning)
Biochem C (planning)

Biology A - B / Lab - C-
Biology B (planning)
Biology C (planning)

Anatomy/Physio (planning)
Molecular Biology (planning)
Micro Biology (planning)
Genetics (planning)

+ other prereqs

Cumulative: 2.585
Science: not sure atm

My story
I screwed up freshmen, sophmore, and first quarter of junior year. I was floating around a 2.1ish at the end of my Fall quarter during junior year. I went through two quarters of AP & one quarter of STD. During my Winter quarter I was diagnosed with Major Depression (I had no idea lol). From there on I got help through my pdocs and I went from a 2.1ish to a cumulative 2.585. My GPA is on an upward trend as of right now (3.0+ every quarter since then). Also, my grades get better as the courses become more "difficult." Unit wise I'm a senior but I haven't taken a lot of my biology courses because I earned a D on Biology A during Fall of Junior year. I couldn't retake that until Summer 2013. Long story short, I cannot take my upper Bio classes without lower div but I did receive permissions to take some classes (cell bio & biochem) without having the Biology prereq ( thanks to those professors I'm not as behind as I should be).

My plan:
I plan on raising my GPA to at least a 2.8 while I'm still at my university. I will retake courses at my local CC to get better grades. Ultimately I want to apply to pharmacy schools in california which is probably out of reach but I'm determined! :)

I'd really appreciate helpful and honest comments about my situation! What should I do so that I can achieve my goal?

*also I'm volunteering at Kaiser Permanente in the Pharmacy area and also at a mom and pop's pharmacy. I'm currently studying to get my tech license in December.

I didn't really have much time to edit this but I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to get at.

Lots of UC students with "bad grades" on SDN. I'm guessing you didn't go to Berkeley or UCLA based on the info provided, but it doesn't matter... Retake all your C's and below and get some pharmacy experience. Work as a certified tech while you get all A's on those retakes. Get 90%+ comp on the PCAT if you can, but 80%+ comp with 70%+ on each subtest will do. Apply broadly and you should get a few interview invites. However, make sure you get some experience and really know that pharmacy is for you (and for the right reasons) before you go through all that. Good luck! :)

Your situation is not as bleak as you might imagine. Yes, you do have a low GPA, but it's not because you have tons of F's. In fact, I do not recall seeing you list any. Your GPA is primarily low because of the numerous number of C's (ugly, but passing). From an admissions point of view, it doesn't show any particularly strong deficiencies that numerous F's would flag. However, you would have to distinguish yourself by your activities like the volunteering you were listing and also by doing well on the PCAT. A 70% or higher would greatly help you get into low, possibly low/mid tier schools.

Does anyone know the deadline for West Virginia COP?

There are lots of intangibles they look at. You'll probably be okay with a decent PCAT score. If worst comes to worst, u could just retake certain key classes like general chem and o-chem.

I have my BS in Biology and currently going for my MS
Several, but my top choices are UOP, Midwestern AZ and CHI, Touro CA and NY, Belmont, Howard and Western
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
2.50 Math :( 2.99 Sci
Last 2 years it has been over 3.5, not sure of the exact number
73 composite
1 month of shadowing 2 pharmacists and have obtained my P. Tech. Cert. currently looking for a job
PharmCAS 7/16 and submitted majority of the supplemental apps by 9/15

3 from professors, 1 of which is my PI, and 1 from a pharmacist
Mostly religious volunteer experience. I have tutored and participated in clubs on campus
Not really sure, I'm going to be cautious and say mediocre
Pretty well written, I had it edited a few times and proofread as well

I forgot to add, I have received 2 interviews so far :)

Hi everyone,

I would love my fellow peers' opinions on my chances :)

The main school I want to get into is University of Texas, but I also applied to A&M, Texas Tech, and Houston.

My GPA as of this semester is 3.8252. (Science & Math GPA is more around 3.75) My PCAT score, which I took last year, is 95% composite.

Since June, I've been volunteering 3 hours a week (almost 60 hours by the time I submitted my app), at my local hospital pharmacy, doing basic stuff like labeling, clerical stuff. I am certified to work as a pharm tech but was unsuccessful in finding a job, so sadly I couldn't put that on my application. In addition to volunteering, I've been an active member of a health professions organization for 2.5 years at my school, I've shadowed pharmacists twice, and I worked for one semester as a facility technician (not pharmacy related, but still work experience).

I got references from my Ochem professor (got an A in his class), and the volunteer coordinator who I run duties for at the hospital. I asked my Biochem professor as well, but she has been completely unresponsive and did not submit a reference (which makes me nervous about TT, Houston, and A&M, which requires 3 letters... but there's still time for TT and Houston I guess since their deadline is December, may have to ask someone else).

I WILL be obtaining a Bachelors degree in Biology by the Spring as well, which may be seen as a plus to the admissions committee.

I feel my personal statement is strong, and my interviewing skills are decent (not amazing, but decent -- I WILL practice!)

Also, might be important, but I applied to UTCOP last cycle, got an interview, but did not get accepted :( I hope it looks good that I'm trying again this year. And I didn't get in last year with a 3.889 GPA, 95 PCAT - the only thing missing from my application was pharmacy-related work/volunteer experience, and that's the sole reason I didn't get in. Since then, I got PT certified and volunteered at my hospital, which I hope is enough.

Any thoughts on if I have a chance this year would be greatly appreciated! I remember how upset I was when I didn't get in last year because everyone thought I would, so I don't know what I'll do this year if I don't get in.... lol. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I would love my fellow peers' opinions on my chances :)

The main school I want to get into is University of Texas, but I also applied to A&M, Texas Tech, and Houston.

My GPA as of this semester is 3.8252. (Science & Math GPA is more around 3.75) My PCAT score, which I took last year, is 95% composite.

Since June, I've been volunteering 3 hours a week (almost 60 hours by the time I submitted my app), at my local hospital pharmacy, doing basic stuff like labeling, clerical stuff. I am certified to work as a pharm tech but was unsuccessful in finding a job, so sadly I couldn't put that on my application. In addition to volunteering, I've been an active member of a health professions organization for 2.5 years at my school, I've shadowed pharmacists twice, and I worked for one semester as a facility technician (not pharmacy related, but still work experience).

I got references from my Ochem professor (got an A in his class), and the volunteer coordinator who I run duties for at the hospital. I asked my Biochem professor as well, but she has been completely unresponsive and did not submit a reference (which makes me nervous about TT, Houston, and A&M, which requires 3 letters... but there's still time for TT and Houston I guess since their deadline is December, may have to ask someone else).

I WILL be obtaining a Bachelors degree in Biology by the Spring as well, which may be seen as a plus to the admissions committee.

I feel my personal statement is strong, and my interviewing skills are decent (not amazing, but decent -- I WILL practice!)

Also, might be important, but I applied to UTCOP last cycle, got an interview, but did not get accepted :( I hope it looks good that I'm trying again this year. And I didn't get in last year with a 3.889 GPA, 95 PCAT - the only thing missing from my application was pharmacy-related work/volunteer experience, and that's the sole reason I didn't get in. Since then, I got PT certified and volunteered at my hospital, which I hope is enough.

Any thoughts on if I have a chance this year would be greatly appreciated! I remember how upset I was when I didn't get in last year because everyone thought I would, so I don't know what I'll do this year if I don't get in.... lol. Thanks!

Your academic stats are amazing... I'm sure you will get accepted this year. Your PTCB certification and active involvement in a healthcare environment will demonstration to the adcoms your dedication to the pharmaceutical profession. Best of luck.

I disagree; the PCAT is really really important.

Reactions: 1 user