*~*WAMC (what are my chances?) Megathread*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
let's make it simple.
if this is for Cali or any other non-PCAT school, you will be absolutely fine even for top-tier school. Go get higher than 70 for PCAT then you will have no problem getting in to your top 3 schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Combined a couple of "What are my chances to get accepted?" into this thread. This is a busy time of the year with application deadlines, interviews, and acceptances so lets try to reserve forum space for different topics :thumbup:

a. Schools you are applying to:
UNC Chapel Hill, UCONN
b. Overall GPA:
c. Math/Science GPA:
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.40
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)
Verbal: 74
Bio: 92
Chem: 97
Reading: 34
Quant: 82
Composite: 88
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: none
g. Date of application submission(PharmCAS/primary and secondary): today

Members don't see this ad :)
a. Schools you are applying to: Midwestern, UW, Oregon, Wazzu, Creighton
b. Overall GPA: 3.1
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.09
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.8
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) Composite: 99
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 5 years Lead pharmacy tech at walgreens, 1 year specialty pharmacy as clozapine coordinator, 1 year in patient hospital pharmacy as oncology technician, 4 years of clinical research (including oncology). I have 3 publications and 1 presentation at the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists Conference.
g. Date of application submission(PharmCAS/primary and secondary): 11/1/2013

The problem is that my prerequisites are really old, they are over 10 years old and my grades are not that good (bio 2.9, biochem 2.8, etc). All my class taken in undergrad are horrible......The last 5 years I've been taking classes off and on and my average is about 3.8. I have not had a chance to retake all of the prerequisites and quite frankly I think it's a waste of my time. I'm looking into schools that do not have a time limit on the prereqs.

I think I'm a strong candidate except that my undergrad grades are bad and they are old. Those two things are holding me back and making me feel not confident in my standing. Advice? Should I even apply or just retake classes?

Ok I'm gonna get in on the fun...

a. Schools you are applying to: Nova (top choice), UF Orland (longshot), LECOM Bradenton (don't really wanna go there)...may also add a couple out of state
b. Overall GPA: 2.98
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.00/3.03
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.15

Verbal: 82
Biology: 89
Reading: 68
QA: 61
Chemistry: 85
Composite: 84

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 300 volunteer hours at local Hospital over a period of 2 years
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary) Submitted to Pharmcas first week of November...haven't received any supplementals yet.

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 LOR's (2 pharmacists from hospital where I volunteer, 1 science professor...also adding one from my boss even though its unrelated to pharmacy)
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Have worked for a U.S. Congressman since 2002 in a community liaison role. I have assisted veterans get their benefits from the VA. I have also volunteered a ton politically.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I think I can do well. I tend to be pretty honest, polite and likable. My weakness is I tend to be laid back/not aggressive and quiet so I hope to strike a good balance. I plan on preparing for different questions and will practice those.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I had it proofread through SDN and received good input. I had to change the focus on some of it away from where I've worked the past 10 years into more "why pharmacy." I think I accomplished that.

Ok let me have it. This is a career change for me and my first time applying. I did my prereqs while I worked but generally speaking throughout my entire college career whether it was at the CC where I received an AA or at Boston College where I received a BA in polisci or my prereqs, my GPA has been the same. Right around 3.0. I'm the typical B student.

I think I'm a strong candidate except that my undergrad grades are bad and they are old. Those two things are holding me back and making me feel not confident in my standing. Advice? Should I even apply or just retake classes?

I'm not sure about the age part..that might be an issue with some schools I think....but I'd cut off my pinky to have your stats.

Here's a pretty confusing chance me thread. But please, please give me some input. Would you accept me if you were a top school? I'm applying to UNC, UF, UoM, UF, and OSU all top schools at least top 20.
Graduated 2008 Business Mgmt. Good State Uni. Worked 3 years. Went back to school for science and math prereqs. at University in 2012
UG GPA: 2.2 (7 W's, 5 F's, 6 D's)
Postbacc GPA: 3.73 (40 hrs. all math/sci)

cGPA: 2.5 (the minimum) (206 Credit hours!)
sGPA: 3.08
mathGPA: 3.19

PCAT
Verbal: 87
Biology: 95
Reading: 81
QA: 99
Chemistry: 97
Composite: 98

I started as pharm tech at CVS in August and am NC certified. Submitted everything just this week pharmcas and supps. Every school's deadline is either Dec. or Jan.
Good PS, 4 LORs: organic, research, clinical pharm friend, calc, not much EC, good work experience. Micro and human a/p 2 and a few labs left to take.

What say you?

Here's a pretty confusing chance me thread. But please, please give me some input. Would you accept me if you were a top school? I'm applying to UNC, UF, UoM, UF, and OSU all top schools at least top 20.
Graduated 2008 Business Mgmt. Good State Uni. Worked 3 years. Went back to school for science and math prereqs. at University in 2012
UG GPA: 2.2 (7 W's, 5 F's, 6 D's)
Postbacc GPA: 3.73 (40 hrs. all math/sci)

cGPA: 2.5 (the minimum) (206 Credit hours!)
sGPA: 3.08
mathGPA: 3.19

PCAT
Verbal: 87
Biology: 95
Reading: 81
QA: 99
Chemistry: 97
Composite: 98

I started as pharm tech at CVS in August and am NC certified. Submitted everything just this week pharmcas and supps. Every school's deadline is either Dec. or Jan.
Good PS, 4 LORs: organic, research, clinical pharm friend, calc, not much EC, good work experience. Micro and human a/p 2 and a few labs left to take.

What say you?
What say you. You'll get into any school..

UNC Chapel Hill, UCONN
b. Overall GPA:
c. Math/Science GPA:
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.40
Verbal: 74
Bio: 92
Chem: 97
Reading: 34
Quant: 82
Composite: 88
g. Date of application submission(PharmCAS/primary and secondary): today

You should probably go to community college, at that rate, and be a manager and McDonalds..

I graduated in 2012 with a B.A. in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry from one of the most academically rigorous institutions in the country and a top 5 liberal arts school. I realized a little late in my undergrad career that pharmacy is what I wanted, but I am so fascinated by all the aspects of the profession that I knew it is where I want to end up.

a. Schools you are applying to
Several, mostly schools in the northeast, and possibly some of the ones in the Kentucky area. I am looking for suggestions on where I might fit in.
b. Overall GPA
2.78, it will increase soon. My college didn't offer anatomy or physiology, so I am currently taking them, and doing pretty well.
c. Math/Science GPA
Probably around a 2.6, again this will likely increase.
d. GPA in last one or two school years
Last 2 years of school definitely had an upward trend, including a 3.6 for my final year, an A in my medicinal chemistry class, and an A when I retook OChem 2 to raise my score..
98 Reading Comprehension
95 Chemistry
85 Biology
85 Math
94 and 92 on the other two sections
96 composite
f. Pharmacy experience obtained
I did a brief job shadow at my local hospital, but I live in a very small and isolated town and opportunities are scarce.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
Hopefully applying by the end of next week. I'm a little short on cash to pay the app fees.

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs
3 or 4, 2 from professors/deans 2 from bosses/supervisors
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience
While in college I volunteered heavily mentoring underprivileged youth, eventually becoming president of the mentoring club. I also was in an organization that mentored middle school girls. I participated in varsity track and field, and was a tour guide, and RA and a chem lab ta. I am currently substitute teaching and working for the local Y, where I am head of their after-school program and help staff their teen center at night. Between all the jobs it often amounts to 70 hour weeks.
j. Self-perception of interview skills
Strong. I have been on multiple (fairly successful) job interviews, had strong college interviews the first time around, and attended a college with heavy emphasis on communication and presentation skills.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality
I felt like it was solid. The people I had edit/proofread it seemed to like it and said it was good.

I graduated in 2012 with a B.A. in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry from one of the most academically rigorous institutions in the country and a top 5 liberal arts school. I realized a little late in my undergrad career that pharmacy is what I wanted, but I am so fascinated by all the aspects of the profession that I knew it is where I want to end up.

Several, mostly schools in the northeast, and possibly some of the ones in the Kentucky area. I am looking for suggestions on where I might fit in.
b. Overall GPA
2.78, it will increase soon. My college didn't offer anatomy or physiology, so I am currently taking them, and doing pretty well.
c. Math/Science GPA
Probably around a 2.6, again this will likely increase.
Last 2 years of school definitely had an upward trend, including a 3.6 for my final year, an A in my medicinal chemistry class, and an A when I retook OChem 2 to raise my score..
98 Reading Comprehension
95 Chemistry
85 Biology
85 Math
94 and 92 on the other two sections
96 composite
I did a brief job shadow at my local hospital, but I live in a very small and isolated town and opportunities are scarce.
Hopefully applying by the end of next week. I'm a little short on cash to pay the app fees.

3 or 4, 2 from professors/deans 2 from bosses/supervisors
While in college I volunteered heavily mentoring underprivileged youth, eventually becoming president of the mentoring club. I also was in an organization that mentored middle school girls. I participated in varsity track and field, and was a tour guide, and RA and a chem lab ta. I am currently substitute teaching and working for the local Y, where I am head of their after-school program and help staff their teen center at night. Between all the jobs it often amounts to 70 hour weeks.
Strong. I have been on multiple (fairly successful) job interviews, had strong college interviews the first time around, and attended a college with heavy emphasis on communication and presentation skills.
I felt like it was solid. The people I had edit/proofread it seemed to like it and said it was good.
You'll get into pretty much any school with pcat as long as your GPA meets the minimum.

Hi!
I took PCAT this past July for the first time
Results were: verbal 432/91%
Bio. 440/95%
Reading comprehension 409/68%
Quant 390/27%
Chemistry 402/51%
---------------------–-------------
Composite 78%
I wouldn't be bad (besides quantitative section). Happy with verbal and RC, since English isn't my first language.
However, my current GPA is 3.42 (I got a C in Calculus and Organic I). Currently I'm retaking Calculus (it'll be A ), have not taken Org II yet, but my GPA will probably be somewhere in 3.5-ish range at the end of semester.
Another thing that worries me is that I don't have any experience in a pharmacy field (which is not required, but highly recommended). I am planning to take a Pharm Tech certification test this January-Febuary and concurrently look for a job in the field.
In your opinion, should I try to apply to schools as of now, or wait and retake PCAT in July'14 with (hopefully) some experience as a pharm tech and apply for the next cycle?? I am not really happy about loosing a year, though((
Thank you very much for all the input!

your scores actually aren't bad, and I would go as far as to say you could get accepted this round. It kind of depend on what is the average stats for the schools your applying to, but still, you have a pretty good chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it truly depends on the schools you're planning on applying to. I think you still have a chance because you have a relatively high PCAT score and an average GPA. My PCAT score is 95 and GPA 3.4, but I still got into all the schools I applied to (maybe it was because I applied early lol)

UMD is one of my first choices. The GPA is average, but I feel like I could do way better on the PCAT the second time around.

It's really up to you. Honestly you could just try this year and see what happens. If you get rejected/waitlisted, THEN you can go ahead and do all the extra work (re-take PCAT and work as pharm tech). You might as well just try.

Hi!
I took PCAT this past July for the first time
Results were: verbal 432/91%
Bio. 440/95%
Reading comprehension 409/68%
Quant 390/27%
Chemistry 402/51%
---------------------–-------------
Composite 78%
I wouldn't be bad (besides quantitative section). Happy with verbal and RC, since English isn't my first language.
However, my current GPA is 3.42 (I got a C in Calculus and Organic I). Currently I'm retaking Calculus (it'll be A ), have not taken Org II yet, but my GPA will probably be somewhere in 3.5-ish range at the end of semester.
Another thing that worries me is that I don't have any experience in a pharmacy field (which is not required, but highly recommended). I am planning to take a Pharm Tech certification test this January-Febuary and concurrently look for a job in the field.
In your opinion, should I try to apply to schools as of now, or wait and retake PCAT in July'14 with (hopefully) some experience as a pharm tech and apply for the next cycle?? I am not really happy about loosing a year, though((
Thank you very much for all the input!
All posts like these are best suited in this thread. This is the best place to get feedback from pharmacy students/pre pharms on chances of being accepted.

So here what I have:
Schools:
Concordia University
University of Illinois-Chicago
Midwestern University-Chicago
Roosevelt University
Rosalind Franklin University
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
University of Toledo

GPA's (According to PharmCAS Calculations)
Overall GPA: 3.37 (I originally went to community college as a business major and got sub-par grades. I transferred to University of Toledo for pre-pharmacy, where I'm doing much better)
Math GPA: 3.27 (I got C's in Calc 1&2 but retook them at Toledo and got A's in both)
Science GPA: 3.71 (This should rise, as I am currently doing physics and anatomy, assuming I get A's ;] )
My Toledo GPA is 3.81. Because I have 30+ credit hours, they don't weigh my CC credit hours any more. I imagine other schools will weigh the full monty, but I really wouldn't know

PCAT Scores:
Verbal: 423 / 82
Biology: 414 / 69
Reading Comprehension: 417 / 81
Quantitative Ability: 402 / 51
Chemistry: 426 / 85
Composite 416 / 79
Writing 4

I have no health or pharmacy related experiences, but I have been a vice-president of one club and chief of staff of another.
I have been the official photographer for a few club events, talents shows and award ceremonies and the like
I have been in a play
I submitted my app December 2 (yes that was a jackass move)

I have 2 LOR's, one from my organic 1 prof, one from a priest, and I'm going to ask my old supervisor from my hardware store job for one.

What are my chances for my schools?
Illinois and Toledo are my tops

Last edited:
a. Schools: University of Illinois, UConn, University of Washington
b. Overall GPA: 3.1
c. Math/Science GPA: ~3.1
d. GPA in last one or two school years: ~3.7
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 93 composite with 90+ in chem and bio
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: some shadowing but not much else =/

Finally putting my account to use!
I would appreciate any honest opinions. :oops:
My top choice is University of Washington.

- University of Washington
- Washington State University
- USC
- Western
b. Overall GPA: 3.32
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.16 :unsure:
d. GPA in last one or two school years: ~3.5
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite):
- Composite 84%
- Chemistry 97%
f. Pharmacy experience obtained:
- 96 hours in a hospital pharmacy

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs:
- 1 from science professor
- 1 from a postdoc I used to work with
- 1 from public speaking professor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience:
- 1.5 years hospital volunteer (med/surg, mental health)
- currently interning at a biopharmaceutical company

Finally putting my account to use!
I would appreciate any honest opinions. :oops:
My top choice is University of Washington.

- University of Washington
- Washington State University
- USC
- Western
b. Overall GPA: 3.32
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.16 :unsure:
d. GPA in last one or two school years: ~3.5
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite):
- Composite 84%
- Chemistry 97%
f. Pharmacy experience obtained:
- 96 hours in a hospital pharmacy

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs:
- 1 from science professor
- 1 from a postdoc I used to work with
- 1 from public speaking professor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience:
- 1.5 years hospital volunteer (med/surg, mental health)
- currently interning at a biopharmaceutical company
You will definitely get into WSU with those stats.

I am really worried about my stats; I have no experience in pharmacy, and I have no idea how to get one, aside from calling my local pharmacies and hospitals for shadowing.

Touro, Western University, UCSF, UCSD and west coast university
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
Junior: 3.39 science and 3.52 non-science
Senior: 3.74/3.71 Science and Non-science
I did not take PCAT for these schools.
I have no pharmacy experience
Primary secondary both submitted around october
2 from professors and one from my research manager.
Worked for 1 and a half years at an internal medicine clinic as a medical file clerk.
I tend to get nervous during interviews, and tries to be loud to compensate; I have tried to cut back on that.

I am really worried about my chances at going to western university. So far, I have three interviews lined up: I have already done my interview at touro and have gotten a low-alternate listing, which isn't that good; I will do my western university interview tomorrow, and I have another one with west coast university at January 18th. I am really worried because I have absolutely no pharmacy experience, and I cannot stop getting depressed just thinking about that fact. Do I have a chance at going to western university? Would a good interview help my chances at being enrolled at all, if I have no pharmacy experience?

I am really worried about my stats; I have no experience in pharmacy, and I have no idea how to get one, aside from calling my local pharmacies and hospitals for shadowing.

Touro, Western University, UCSF, UCSD and west coast university
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
Junior: 3.39 science and 3.52 non-science
Senior: 3.74/3.71 Science and Non-science
I did not take PCAT for these schools.
I have no pharmacy experience
Primary secondary both submitted around october
2 from professors and one from my research manager.
Worked for 1 and a half years at an internal medicine clinic as a medical file clerk.
I tend to get nervous during interviews, and tries to be loud to compensate; I have tried to cut back on that.

I am really worried about my chances at going to western university. So far, I have three interviews lined up: I have already done my interview at touro and have gotten a low-alternate listing, which isn't that good; I will do my western university interview tomorrow, and I have another one with west coast university at January 18th. I am really worried because I have absolutely no pharmacy experience, and I cannot stop getting depressed just thinking about that fact. Do I have a chance at going to western university? Would a good interview help my chances at being enrolled at all, if I have no pharmacy experience?
All your chances depend on your interviews. You already were good enough at the interview now go study pharmacy and practice your interview skills. Stop worrying about your stats. There's no point now. Everything will depend on your interview.

Blow away your interview and you'll be set.

Yes a good interview will get you in. Key word is good.. You're pretty much at a even playing field with the other interviewees now since you have an interview. Just focus on interviewing don't stress over things you can't change. Do stress over things that you can change and that is your interview skills.

Reactions: 1 user
wow man i dont know if you'll get into a good school but you might get into a bad school
Which is why I wanted to find a pharma tech job really, really badly. There's always next year, and instead of worrying about the interviews that I just did, I should work towards getting good stats for my next application cycle.

Hi. I'm currently a Sophomore (At least by year, I think I will have Junior status credit-wise after this semester) at Loyola University Chicago.
-University of Illinois-Chicago
-Midwestern University-Chicago
-Rosalind Franklin University
-Butler University
-University of Minnesota
-Ohio State University
-Belmont University
-Concordia University

b. Overall GPA
I currently have a 3.14 GPA
Breakdown of classes:
-Chem I: C+
-Chem II: C+
-Calc I: A
-MicroEcon: B
-MacroEcon: W
-Sociology: B-
-Literature: B
-English Comp: B
-Exploring Poetry: A
-Jazz Music History: W
-Pub Speaking: A-
-Guitar I: A

I am currently taking:
Organic Chem I: Most likely a C/C+, but a B- is possible. Depends on final.
Physics I: Most likely an A-, but an A is possible.
Anatomy/Physiology I: Most likely a C.

I will be sending in my transcript after this semester's grade are in.
c. Math/Science GPA
I have only had 1 year of undergrad so far (will be 2 before I start my pharmacy coursework, if accepted)
78% Composite
None at the moment. I am looking for a Pharm Tech job currently
I will submit my pharmcas before the jan 1. deadline.
I have one LOR from a Chemistry Professor, one from a Physics professor, and one from an undergrad advisor
I volunteered at a hospital during high school and got around 300 hours. I doubt it will count for much.
I don't have very much experience with interviews, but I will prepare well.

I have had it reviewed by many people. It should be good.

The rest of my pre-reqs are fulfilled by AP Classes from high school. Biology, Psych, etc. What do you think my chances are, applying without a bachelor's degree? I will have my pre-reqs completed by the end of the spring semester, or the summer for some schools.

Hi. I'm currently a Sophomore (At least by year, I think I will have Junior status credit-wise after this semester) at Loyola University Chicago.
-University of Illinois-Chicago
-Midwestern University-Chicago
-Rosalind Franklin University
-Butler University
-University of Minnesota
-Ohio State University
-Belmont University
-Concordia University

b. Overall GPA
I currently have a 3.14 GPA
Breakdown of classes:
-Chem I: C+
-Chem II: C+
-Calc I: A
-MicroEcon: B
-MacroEcon: W
-Sociology: B-
-Literature: B
-English Comp: B
-Exploring Poetry: A
-Jazz Music History: W
-Pub Speaking: A-
-Guitar I: A

I am currently taking:
Organic Chem I: Most likely a C/C+, but a B- is possible. Depends on final.
Physics I: Most likely an A-, but an A is possible.
Anatomy/Physiology I: Most likely a C.

I will be sending in my transcript after this semester's grade are in.
c. Math/Science GPA
I have only had 1 year of undergrad so far (will be 2 before I start my pharmacy coursework, if accepted)
78% Composite
None at the moment. I am looking for a Pharm Tech job currently
I will submit my pharmcas before the jan 1. deadline.
I have one LOR from a Chemistry Professor, one from a Physics professor, and one from an undergrad advisor
I volunteered at a hospital during high school and got around 300 hours. I doubt it will count for much.
I don't have very much experience with interviews, but I will prepare well.

I have had it reviewed by many people. It should be good.

The rest of my pre-reqs are fulfilled by AP Classes from high school. Biology, Psych, etc. What do you think my chances are, applying without a bachelor's degree? I will have my pre-reqs completed by the end of the spring semester, or the summer for some schools.

I cannot speak for the rest of the CoPs, but 90% of Minnesota pharmacy students have degrees. It will be an uphill battle since your stats are a little below MN averages. Good luck!

a. Schools you are applying to: Midwestern University - Glendale, Midwestern University - Downer's Grove, University of Hawaii, University of Colorado, University of Illinois, California Northstate University, Western University of Health Sciences, University of California - San Francisco, University of the Pacific, Virginia Commonwealth University

b. Overall GPA: 2.99 (also have a completely unrelated B.S.)

c. Math/Science GPA: 2.94/2.79

d. Current Outstanding Prerequisites: Organic Chemistry I, Organic Chemistry II, Microbiology, Biochemistry

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Verbal (87%), Biology (51%), Reading Comprehension (69%), Quantitative (51%), Chemistry (68%), Composite (70%)

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: ~7 months as a CPhT

I'm mostly curious about what the naysayers above think.

a. Schools you are applying to: Midwestern University - Glendale, Midwestern University - Downer's Grove, University of Hawaii, University of Colorado, University of Illinois, California Northstate University, Western University of Health Sciences, University of California - San Francisco, University of the Pacific, Virginia Commonwealth University

b. Overall GPA: 2.99 (also have a completely unrelated B.S.)

c. Math/Science GPA: 2.94/2.79

d. Current Outstanding Prerequisites: Organic Chemistry I, Organic Chemistry II, Microbiology, Biochemistry

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Verbal (87%), Biology (51%), Reading Comprehension (69%), Quantitative (51%), Chemistry (68%), Composite (70%)

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: ~7 months as a CPhT

I'm mostly curious about what the naysayers above think.

You are a below average applicant as far as statistics for majority of state schools. Cali schools are more than likely out since they just look at GPA and no PCAT. You will have the best chance at smaller schools. Good luck.

a. Schools you are applying to: UCSF, Touro, Northstate, UCSD, Albany (VT) School of Pharmacy, Out of state schools that I haven't decided on
b. Overall GPA: 2.75 (Suffered from depression after family loss for some time, but I am staying in undergrad school for 1 more year to get myself together and maybe getting a minor. Will be graduating 2015)
c. Math/Science GPA: Haven't calculated it yet but I am assuming somewhere near my Overall GPA
d. GPA in last one or two school years: Last year I did pretty bad still, with one or two D's. However this past summer I received straight A's and am doing generally better so far.
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Not yet taken. Plan to take it next December.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 2 years retail pharmacy, 3 months internship at Rite Aid Pharmacy, currently working at CVS Pharmacy (3 months) and plan to continue long-term
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Won't be applying until 2015; just wondering how I look as of right now... Just trying not to lose hope

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 4 total- Research Supervisor, Pharmacy Manager, CVS Pharmacy Manager, Microbio Professor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 1.5+ years Research Assistant w/ multiple publications (first author on 1 article, contributing author on 3 articles, contributing author on 1 book chapter, second author on another book chapter, and a few presentations), some hours of community service
j. Self-perception of interview skills: My job/internship interviews have gone well so far...
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I'm aiming to be genuine. I know that my grades and GPA are not the most impressive, but I want to show adcoms that Pharmacy is something I'm passionate about and something that I would like to incorporate my Psych BS degree in (Psychiatric Pharmacy).

Just trying to see what you guys think if I even have shot at getting in which my grades etc. thanks!

UF, USF, Nova southeastern, Palm Beach Atlantic, Lake Eerie Osteopathic medicine, possible U of Georgia or North Carolina or South Carolina
b. Overall GPA: 3.5
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.49
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.46
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Not yet taken. plan to take it next july
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Won't be applying until next year
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: if I can get pharmacy experience, a pharmacist and a professor, otherwise it will be a veterinarians I have worked with for a long time and organic chem professor, microbiology professor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 5500 hours at a veterinarian clinic getting paid, did work with drugs, injections etc. dog washes, beach cleanups, building a greenhouse, heart walk, cancer walk etc. with pre vet club and biology club
j. Self-perception of interview skills: one interview I had for a job they offered me the job so I'm guessing I did well
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: would probably explain that my father died my sophomore year of college which is why my grades aren't as good as others, also my grandmother died on thanksgiving my senior year, not sure what else i would write

Just trying to see what you guys think if I even have shot at getting in which my grades etc. thanks!

UF, USF, Nova southeastern, Palm Beach Atlantic, Lake Eerie Osteopathic medicine, possible U of Georgia or North Carolina or South Carolina
b. Overall GPA: 3.5
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.49
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.46
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Not yet taken. plan to take it next july
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Won't be applying until next year
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: if I can get pharmacy experience, a pharmacist and a professor, otherwise it will be a veterinarians I have worked with for a long time and organic chem professor, microbiology professor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 5500 hours at a veterinarian clinic getting paid, did work with drugs, injections etc. dog washes, beach cleanups, building a greenhouse, heart walk, cancer walk etc. with pre vet club and biology club
j. Self-perception of interview skills: one interview I had for a job they offered me the job so I'm guessing I did well
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: would probably explain that my father died my sophomore year of college which is why my grades aren't as good as others, also my grandmother died on thanksgiving my senior year, not sure what else i would write

75+ on PCAT and if you are FL resident you have a pretty good shot for an interview at UF.

a. Schools you are applying to: UCSF, Touro, Northstate, UCSD, Albany (VT) School of Pharmacy, Out of state schools that I haven't decided on
b. Overall GPA: 2.75 (Suffered from depression after family loss for some time, but I am staying in undergrad school for 1 more year to get myself together and maybe getting a minor. Will be graduating 2015)
c. Math/Science GPA: Haven't calculated it yet but I am assuming somewhere near my Overall GPA
d. GPA in last one or two school years: Last year I did pretty bad still, with one or two D's. However this past summer I received straight A's and am doing generally better so far.
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): Not yet taken. Plan to take it next December.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 2 years retail pharmacy, 3 months internship at Rite Aid Pharmacy, currently working at CVS Pharmacy (3 months) and plan to continue long-term
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Won't be applying until 2015; just wondering how I look as of right now... Just trying not to lose hope

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 4 total- Research Supervisor, Pharmacy Manager, CVS Pharmacy Manager, Microbio Professor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 1.5+ years Research Assistant w/ multiple publications (first author on 1 article, contributing author on 3 articles, contributing author on 1 book chapter, second author on another book chapter, and a few presentations), some hours of community service
j. Self-perception of interview skills: My job/internship interviews have gone well so far...
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I'm aiming to be genuine. I know that my grades and GPA are not the most impressive, but I want to show adcoms that Pharmacy is something I'm passionate about and something that I would like to incorporate my Psych BS degree in (Psychiatric Pharmacy).

You still have some time to improve your GPA. For now, I'd just focus on acing the rest of your classes and doing well on the PCAT. Your extracurricular activities look great though :) Just need those numbers up and a good personal essay to get those interviews.

75+ on PCAT and if you are FL resident you have a pretty good shot for an interview at UF.

I am a Florida resident! Thanks!...I already got a book and I'm starting to review the concepts, its been about a couple years since I have had any biology and chemistry...I also still have to take anatomy and physiology so my GPA will go up by a little

I am a Florida resident! Thanks!...I already got a book and I'm starting to review the concepts, its been about a couple years since I have had any biology and chemistry...I also still have to take anatomy and physiology so my GPA will go up by a little

Pm me if you have any other questions. Good luck.

Is anyone else applying to pharmacy school with a bachelors degree? What was your major and gpa? What schools have you applied to. Does it make you more competitive? And lastly, do pharmacy schools look at your overall gpa or just the gpa for your prereq classes?

I did
2.9 cGPA in Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior (just 1 major FYI)
Applied to 2 in Florida
I don't know for sure, but I would think so.
I think overall GPA.

Im applying next cycle (2015) and I will be getting my bachelor in Biology and minor in Chemistry before I "start" Pharmacy school (if i get accepted). Right now I got 3.37 GPA, but I can raise it up to 3.5 before I graduate. Having a *relevant* bachelor degree should make you more competitive, or that is what I have been told by my friends that already got accepted into pharmacy school. I guess schools will look at your PharmCAS GPA (which includes both overall and science GPA). Will be applying to 2-3 schools in Florida :)

Is anyone else applying to pharmacy school with a bachelors degree? What was your major and gpa? What schools have you applied to. Does it make you more competitive? And lastly, do pharmacy schools look at your overall gpa or just the gpa for your prereq classes?
Nowadays, most schools prefer students with a bachelors. One of the schools I applied to had 1000+ applicants, 155 student got in, 120 of them had a bachelor degree.
Schools look at your pre-req classes and sometimes your upper division science courses (to see if you can handle them).

Some schools specifically say having a bachelors is a plus. The school I will be attending does not care what your degree is in but they do like to see you can finish all the upper division courses and earn a bachelors.

I decided to roll the dice and apply to pharmacy school without my bachelors and current pcat scores and was accepted for entering class of 2014. It really is about the whole package and what that certain individual can bring to the table.

Reactions: 1 users
I decided to roll the dice and apply to pharmacy school without my bachelors and current pcat scores and was accepted for entering class of 2014. It really is about the whole package and what that certain individual can bring to the table.
I agree. If you can apply early go for it. If you don't get in, finish your bachlors and try again.

I'm applying this cycle with a BA in English. I have a 3.78 prerequisite GPA and made a 98 on the PCAT. I've been accepted to one school in Texas and am interviewing at two more. I was surprised by the number of people without undergrad degrees in the class of 2017 at the schools I've applied to, so I guess pharmacy schools don't weight that too heavily.

I agree. If you can apply early go for it. If you don't get in, finish your bachlors and try again.
Yes, I too would highly recommend to apply as early as possible. It is much easier to get a spot when there are 300 available seats instead of the last 30.

I'm currently applying and was accepted as junior and won't have a bachelor's when I matriculate. I'm currently a Molecular and Cellular Biology major (MCB for short) with a 3.5 GPA and around a ~3.3 Science GPA. I agree that having a bachelor's degree and applying early ups your chances, but anything is possible! I applied at the very end of October and only had around 50 hours of volunteering in a pharmacy setting, never worked in a hospital, didn't have any publications, research work, or certifications (other than a Pharmacy Assistant license unique to WA state), etc. Just own whatcha got and really try to build yourself up in interviews and supplementals! I know I really psyched myself out a lot by looking at this WAMC thread and reading about others' very intimidating stats!

Hello, my application is decent in all aspects except GPA, which is incredibly low. I know that I need to increase it, but I am wondering what the best way to do that is; I have a total of 204 credit hours, so individual classes won't affect my GPA too much. I have heard that after graduation you can take graduate level classes without being in a program to try and show that you are able to handle a higher level class, I am not sure if this applies to pharmacy school applications. Any advice would be great, thank you.

All Florida schools except USF
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
Junior - 2.3 (2.2 science) Senior - 2.23 (2.66 Science)
I am attempting 12 credit hours of science courses currently, which will finish my BS.
87 Composite
I have been working in a retail pharmacy full time for 7+ years, 6 of which I have been (and still am) nationally certified.
GPA calculations were done today from PharmCAS, waiting for them to send the letters.

3, all from pharmacists.
None
I would say moderate, have not had to interview for anything in years, but I do not get nervous and I present myself well.
The statement used my pharmacy experience and my late start on the track of pharmacy to show that even though my grades are not good, pharmacy is where I want to be and my grades are going up (last semester was 3.0, not good but better than my overall gpa).

Hello, my application is decent in all aspects except GPA, which is incredibly low. I know that I need to increase it, but I am wondering what the best way to do that is; I have a total of 204 credit hours, so individual classes won't affect my GPA too much. I have heard that after graduation you can take graduate level classes without being in a program to try and show that you are able to handle a higher level class, I am not sure if this applies to pharmacy school applications. Any advice would be great, thank you.

All Florida schools except USF
b. Overall GPA
c. Math/Science GPA
Junior - 2.3 (2.2 science) Senior - 2.23 (2.66 Science)
I am attempting 12 credit hours of science courses currently, which will finish my BS.
87 Composite
I have been working in a retail pharmacy full time for 7+ years, 6 of which I have been (and still am) nationally certified.
GPA calculations were done today from PharmCAS, waiting for them to send the letters.

3, all from pharmacists.
None
I would say moderate, have not had to interview for anything in years, but I do not get nervous and I present myself well.
The statement used my pharmacy experience and my late start on the track of pharmacy to show that even though my grades are not good, pharmacy is where I want to be and my grades are going up (last semester was 3.0, not good but better than my overall gpa).

That GPA is rough. UF states that the minimum science GPA to apply is 2.5 competitive is 3-4.

Do you meet the minimum for other FL schools?