Want to get into an FM residency...WAMC??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol! That was my response too. I'd call him a troll, but he's been on here two years...

Those are great stats. Breathe easy, friend.

As I said earlier, my school wants me to apply to 40 and aim for 15 interviews. I'm at a pretty new US MD school, 220 Step I, 254 step II, and 2nd quartile of my class.

Is that the general consensus: about 20 programs, unless there is something wrong with your application?

Members don't see this ad.

Need help. I'm 3rd year student. Very passionate about FM and want to match next year. I'm actually in a program where I'll be getting an MHA with my MD (dual program) and I want to practice rural medicine so rural programme are totally cool with me.
This is my issue. I had to repeat 2nd year. Had a kid get sick and a couple other things but I also just generally struggled. I did my best to come back and obviously passed the second time around but not with flying colors. I hoped to overcome this with my STEP but I had a hard time there as well. I did pass but with a 195. I'm just getting into rotations and I finally feel like I am hitting what I shine at in medical school. I get along with everyone and I work hard, stay late ect. Not because I'm trying to compensate per se, but because I really love working with patients. I'm loving rotations.I don't know what my previous grade is but I received very positive feedback from the attending so I know at least that I passed, and I'm getting good reviews in my current rotation as well. Obviously I'm not taking anything for granted at this point but overall I think this is my niche. So, with two pretty big red flags how do I approach applications? I am not picky and I'll go anywhere for residency, I gave up on being a chooser and I am realistic about my obstacles. I just want to be a physician.i want to be a good physician so I'd love to get the best program I can manage to get into, but if that is out of the cards then I'll take what I can and work to be a competent physician.
So anyone have any suggestions? Either with going forward in the clinical years or with programme I should consider I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Forgot to mention, I will be a USMG, and me school is actually a very good school. Not ivy league by any means but we'll known and respected. Also I have a great relationship with my deans and from what I can tell I am well liked among my academic faculty. Not bragging just trying to give the best picture I can give.

212, 209, first attempt both, US IMG
Applied to 155 FM programs including rurals. 4 rejections so far, no interviews. Do I still have a chance?

Reactions: 1 user
Just a lowly third year here. Just wanted to get an idea on how this time next year might look for me. What are my chances, preferably out west in California (if I apply to all 50-some programs) and maybe programs in Nevada and Arizona. Thanks!

COMLEX 501, first attempt. No USMLE.
Class rank: bottom 50%

Last edited:
Currently 4th year DO student. My top choices for residency in FM are ACGME, so may be shooting myself in the foot if don't rank a couple AOA programs. Below average stats. I live in Ky, applying to Ky-TN-IN programs. So far, I have 6 interviews in KY and an audition at my #1 coming up.

I am very passionate about FM. I have a LOR from family medicine chair from my school that is strong and a couple more that should be good. Plan to practice rural medicine. Thoughts? Am I totally screwed?

Last edited:
@Acc1989 You are not screwed. You already have 6 invites mid application cycle, and if you look at the last charing the outcomes, your chances are at >90% to match somewhere.

Hey everyone!

So, I'm US IMG about to graduate this year. Interested in IM and FM, but I would prefer FM.

I am in the 4th quartile of my class. Step 1 = High 240s, going to be taking Step 2 CS and CK by the end of this academic year. After I graduate I will be taking a year off to do some research while applying to the match.

So my question is, how much will having bad grades/ranking in an international med school affect my chances of matching into a good FM program?

Hello Everyone. I am a US citizen, US-IMG. I would appreciate it if anyone can give me guidance. Here are my stats.
Step 1 227 first attempt
step 2 ck 222 first attempt
CS: passed on third try. no language barriers of any sort.
recent graduate. All rotations done in US hospital.
I am waiting for SOAP as i have not received any interviews yet. I know we are allowed only 45 programs to apply to during SOAP. my question is there a list of programs that allow CS attempts as I only have few hours to research all unfilled programs during match week. I would like to do my research now instead of last minute. Thank you

Quick question:

I am an M3 applying to FM. I'm on IM right now. For our inpatient month on IM we are on the same team (attending + residents + med student) for the whole month, so I was thinking this would be a good opportunity for a letter. However, my "attending" is actually a chief resident. Is this an appropriate person to write a letter for me? I do have other options from FM faculty and some other rotations if need be.

all of your letters should come from faculty / attendings - NOT residents.

Need some advice please. COMLEX 468, GPA 2.73, no volunteering, good evals, so far two letter of recs( one FM and IM). I will only be applying AOA. I'm not sure whether I want to do family or internal med yet. My question is basically to how many programs should I be applying to? I will be applying to most programs in Illinois and Ohio for starters.

Need some advice please. COMLEX 468, GPA 2.73, no volunteering, good evals, so far two letter of recs( one FM and IM). I will only be applying AOA. I'm not sure whether I want to do family or internal med yet. My question is basically to how many programs should I be applying to? I will be applying to most programs in Illinois and Ohio for starters.
~60 to be safe... but 50 should be enough. One needs to rank around ~8 programs (i.e having 8 interviews) to have a 95%+ to match into IM/FM...

I applied IM this cycle as a MD student and no one talked or asked me about GPA during interviews...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Help please!
Canadian IMG. Step 1: 222 first attempt , Step 2 CS : pass first attempt, Step 2 CK: will give in May. Also taking step 3 right after. 4 clinicals/observerships in Internal med based subspecialties. Vast background of volunteer / Non profit work , no research/publications. Looking for a family med clinical as well.
What are my chances?

Help please!
Canadian IMG. Step 1: 222 first attempt , Step 2 CS : pass first attempt, Step 2 CK: will give in May. Also taking step 3 right after. 4 clinicals/observerships in Internal med based subspecialties. Vast background of volunteer / Non profit work , no research/publications. Looking for a family med clinical as well.
What are my chances?
I would say decent if you got 230+ in CK and you are willing to go anywhere...

I would say decent if you got 230+ in CK and you are willing to go anywhere...

Thanks for the quick reply W19! Yes I'm trying my best to improve 10+ points in CK. In case I'm unable to get an american family med LOR, would a very good canadian letter suffice along with the internal US LORs?

Thanks for the quick reply W19! Yes I'm trying my best to improve 10+ points in CK. In case I'm unable to get an american family med LOR, would a very good canadian letter suffice along with the internal US LORs?
You should try to get a FM LOR from a US doc, but if you can't get, I think you should use a canadian LOR.

US-IMG

Step 1 233
CK 246
CS pass on second attempt
Taking my step 3 this summer after graduating

4mo. USCE. Three LOR from US docs and FM letter from home institution. Will be doing research during the year of application.

Thoughts on FM chances this upcoming cycle?
Thank you

I am currently a categorical general surgery PGY1 who recently had a change of heart and would like to pursue family medicine. I started having second thoughts about surgery shortly after match day, and now think that my personality is better suited for family medicine. I really loved my FM rotations as a medical student and I miss the patient interaction that you get in family medicine. I have a couple of questions before I consider re-entering the match this year. Ideally I would like to match somewhere in the upper midwest/great lakes area, MN/WI/IL.

What sort of family medicine programs should I be looking at? My USMLE scores are good step 1 >240, step 2 >250.
Is it seen as a red flag if I am already a resident?
What would be the best way to go about getting LORs?

Thanks in advance

Hey, think I may be in your shoes right now. Currently an OB resident about to finish intern year and wanting to switch to FM. OB environment was toxic and not compatible with my personality. I also had competitive stats for OB at the time. Any luck on your second try with FM? If so, any advice?

Thanks!

Hey, think I may be in your shoes right now. Currently an OB resident about to finish intern year and wanting to switch to FM. OB environment was toxic and not compatible with my personality. I also had competitive stats for OB at the time. Any luck on your second try with FM? If so, any advice?

Thanks!
Where are you at? PM me if you don’t mind

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm planning to apply to most/all programs in California and several in the Midwest.

Stats:
US MD
Mid-tier school in Midwest
Step 1: 210-220
Step 2 CK: 210-220
Class rank: middle third
No red flags that I know of
Volunteer: lots
Research: some but no publications
Leadership: some

What are my chances of matching in CA or the Midwest?
Should I branch out to other locations?
What's a good number of programs to apply to?

US DO
Step 1: 235-240, 640-650
Step 2 CK: 240-245, 590-600
Step 2 CS equivalent: pass 1st attempt
Class rank: 2nd quartile
Research: 1 poster, 1 pub. Neither in FM or PC.

20 SoCal programs and 20 out-of-state with varying reputations enough for me?

US DO
Step 1: 235-240, 640-650
Step 2 CK: 240-245, 590-600
Step 2 CS equivalent: pass 1st attempt
Class rank: 2nd quartile
Research: 1 poster, 1 pub. Neither in FM or PC.

20 SoCal programs and 20 out-of-state with varying reputations enough for me?

You should be good.

Stats wise we're similar except one thing. I'm applying to significantly more than you, as I have an attempt on CS (but passed second try). IMG from EU.

How many letters do you have? All fam med?

You should be good.

Stats wise we're similar except one thing. I'm applying to significantly more than you, as I have an attempt on CS (but passed second try). IMG from EU.

How many letters do you have? All fam med?
4 letters: only 1 FM, but all are very strong. I built great rapport with my attendings throughout third year.

4 letters: only 1 FM, but all are very strong. I built great rapport with my attendings throughout third year.

You should be good then.

I’ve got 2 FM, one strong the other okay. 1 peds from US basically attesting to my clinical abilities here and interest in FM

You’ll do fine buddy :)

US IMG
Step 1 200
Step 2 CK 226
Step 2 CS Pass
(Passed all first try)

Also, if anyone with similar scores could help with how many programs applied to and interviews they received, that'd be great! As of right now I'm applying to about 157 programs that are IMG friendly.

Reactions: 1 users
US IMG
Step 1 200
Step 2 CK 226
Step 2 CS Pass
(Passed all first try)

Also, if anyone with similar scores could help with how many programs applied to and interviews they received, that'd be great! As of right now I'm applying to about 157 programs that are IMG friendly.

Similar, but NON-USIMG. Applied to the same amount of programs.

If you would like to ask about your chances of getting into a family medicine residency, please post in this sticky here!

Know anything about getting a PGY2 FM position? I did an IM intern year and PGY2 in PM&R. I know I can't get a PGY3 spot but I do not want to repeat intern year.

Hi guys
USMD
Step 1: 225
Step 2: 225
Failed CS x 2
Last quartile. Research and volunteer above average. Applied 170. WAMC. Please give me some advice. Thank you.

So, Is it okay to ask question in here regarding applying to FM?

212, 209, first attempt both, US IMG
Applied to 155 FM programs including rurals. 4 rejections so far, no interviews. Do I still have a chance?

Did you apply on time? Are you emailing program coordinators?

Hi!

IMG. 32 years old. Consultant Urologist since 2016. Have no US experience (have never been in the US). Have some papers ( Özer Ural Çakıcı - Google Akademik Alıntılar ). Holding the FEBU degree. What is my chance to get a residency position and further work in the US, if a can get reasonable USMLE marks?

Last edited:
Hi!

IMG. 32 years old. Consultant Urologist since 2016. Have no US experience (have never been in the US). Have some papers ( Özer Ural Çakıcı - Google Akademik Alıntılar ). What is my chance to get a residency position and further work in the US, if a can get reasonable USMLE marks?
If you can get 230+ on step1/2, you should be ok for pathology, FM, IM and probably neurology in that particular order.

Why not try Urology? Since you are a Urologist by specialty already?

I suppose it's quite competetive. However after obtaining PhD (I'm in Physiology PhD program and still having two upcoming years), publish some more quality research and get some good USMLE marks, I may also have a chance in Urology. On the other hand, surgical residency looks scary to me. I am already destructed by a malign urology program in here. I wish I had better opportunities and economical status while I was younger and could bring my youth energy to the US :(

Last edited:
I'm going to be honest from the start...

Family Medicine wasn't what I wanted graduating from Med school as an IMG. Fam med physicians at my home country didn't have to go through residency, went straight from med school, didn't really earn that much, and their care wasn't really up to standard.

However, moving to the US, I couldn't be so wrong, Fam med physicians here are knowledgeable and way more professional, they also earn a decent living too.

US IMG, YOG 2017
Step 1 - 205
Step 2ck - 234
Step 2 cs - Pass
Step 3 - 223

1 Year of prelim Surg thats going to end this june.
No prior Fam med research or observerships, got research in cardio, LORs from a cardiologist, ER Doc, and a hospitalist, even one from my current program director. (All US board certified)

I know, you'll be looking at my credentials and say hey, this dude only wants Fam med because of his low step 1, well thats party true, however I think I'd really enjoy family medicine, I'd enjoy the lifestyle, and enjoy working as one. If I would go back in time, I probably shouldve just went with Family medicine and I wouldve been perfectly happy about it!

My question to whoever is reading this is, 1) Are my scores competitive enough to get interviews , I've applied to over 100 programs (IM/surg) for two cycles, and it feels like I'm throwing my money away and I dont really want to do that again.

2) What can I do to strengthen my CV for family med as it looks like I'm all over the place
3) Should I apply to the 2019/20 Cycle, or do research/observership for a year and apply 20/21?

Thanks!

I'm going to be honest from the start...

Family Medicine wasn't what I wanted graduating from Med school as an IMG. Fam med physicians at my home country didn't have to go through residency, went straight from med school, didn't really earn that much, and their care wasn't really up to standard.

However, moving to the US, I couldn't be so wrong, Fam med physicians here are knowledgeable and way more professional, they also earn a decent living too.

US IMG, YOG 2017
Step 1 - 205
Step 2ck - 234
Step 2 cs - Pass
Step 3 - 223

1 Year of prelim Surg thats going to end this june.
No prior Fam med research or observerships, got research in cardio, LORs from a cardiologist, ER Doc, and a hospitalist, even one from my current program director. (All US board certified)

I know, you'll be looking at my credentials and say hey, this dude only wants Fam med because of his low step 1, well thats party true, however I think I'd really enjoy family medicine, I'd enjoy the lifestyle, and enjoy working as one. If I would go back in time, I probably shouldve just went with Family medicine and I wouldve been perfectly happy about it!

My question to whoever is reading this is, 1) Are my scores competitive enough to get interviews , I've applied to over 100 programs (IM/surg) for two cycles, and it feels like I'm throwing my money away and I dont really want to do that again.

2) What can I do to strengthen my CV for family med as it looks like I'm all over the place
3) Should I apply to the 2019/20 Cycle, or do research/observership for a year and apply 20/21?

Thanks!
Hey man, your scores are def competitive enough for FM. As an USIMG, you are def supposed to apply to as many programs as you can. People recommend at least 200 programs you should be applying to as an IMG.

1) My scores are similar to yours and I applied to 158 programs. Got 14 interviews. I would def recommend getting a LOR from a FM doc. That really helps because it shows that you are qualified to be in the specialty.
2) Honestly, FM encompasses so many different aspects of medicine that you should be okay. But I would def join AAFP and attend the national AAFP conference to get connections as they may offer free interviews just for showing up. AND def have a strong strong STRONG personal statement!! They def read those seriously.
3) Def apply the upcoming cycle. You have the scores for it. As long as you are staying in the field of medicine during your offseason, it should be okay. You will def have to explain why you didn't match and come up with a good reason why family medicine.

Any interview you have, you def have to sell yourself. You are already at a disadvantage being any IMG. Good luck brother!

I didnt match or soap this year

I am a NON-US IMG - YOG 2014.
Scores 207 (second attempt)/240/pass/213
ECFMG certification before August 2018.
Step 3 score received just yesterday 3/20/2019.

I have 3 months US clinical experience (1 month in FM and 2 months in IM)
I applied to IM (140 programs - across the US, minus california) on time 9/14/2018.
I then applied to 53 FM programs 11/19/2018 - (late- I was waiting on LOR)

I received a total of 3 interviews, two IM and one FM.

Does anyone have any advice as what I can do to improve my odds for next year for matching to FM?

Hello,
IMG seeking PGY-1 position which are my chances to match in this speciality with this background ?
Step 1 233
Step 2 225 ( 2nd attempt)
Step 2 CS passed (2nd attempt)
Step 3 passed
Graduation Med school 2012
Graduation respiratory therapy school 2018
MD and Registered Respiratory Therapist
J-1 needed
Start in July
Thank you

Your step 1 is good but the two red flags here are:

- failed step 2ck and cs (effectively 2 red flags)
- graduation date of 2012

It also hurts more that you need a J-1.

When did you take step 3? Working as a resp therapist full time (?) is evidence of ongoing clinical acumen but a recent step 3 score would help be a testament to that.

Apply to 200 FM program and ~100 path programs and call it a day if you want to be a physician here... I imagine that it took you time and money to complete step 1/2/3 etc... Don't let it go to waste by focussing on FM or IM only. At this stage, you want to get your foot in the door and let the other stuff play themselves out.

If I were in your position, I would apply to 100 prelim surgery programs and 100 pathology programs. Hopefully, you would be lucky enough to get a spot in a prelim surgery program that also has IM/FM. The general surgery at my school has 5 prelim residents, and 2 of them are transferring to IM, 1 is transferring to FM and another one is transferring to psych as PGY1. My point is that you just want to get your foot in the door and if you work hard, people will see that and they will help you.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello there beautiful people.

I am looking for a honest opinion about my chances to match in Primary Track IM/FM or Pathology in the 2020 match.
Here are my creds:

I am a US-IMG - no visa needed
YOG -2013
Home Country Residency in EM
No Gaps in CV
Step 1 208 - first attempt
Step 2 Ck - 232 - first attempt
Step 2 CS - first attempt
Step 3- TBD

8 Weeks Observership in a - Community Primary Care Clinic with Rehabilitation Services
4 Weeks IM Observership at - University Hospital
4 Weeks IM Observership at - Another University Hospital
4-6 Weeks IM Observership at - University Affiliated Hospital
4-6 Weeks IM Observership at - Another University Affiliated Hospital
Volunteering at clinic for Un-insured as a Volunteer Physician
6 Month Psychiatry Research Experience from a well known University with 2 Poster and 1 Oral Presentation.

Apply to 200 FM program and ~100 path programs and call it a day if you want to be a physician here... I imagine that it took you time and money to complete step 1/2/3 etc... Don't let it go to waste by focussing on FM or IM only. At this stage, you want to get your foot in the door and let the other stuff play themselves out.

If I were in your position, I would apply to 100 prelim surgery programs and 100 pathology programs. Hopefully, you would be lucky enough to get a spot in a prelim surgery program that also has IM/FM. The general surgery at my school has 5 prelim residents, and 2 of them are transferring to IM, 1 is transferring to FM and another one is transferring to psych as PGY1. My point is that you just want to get your foot in the door and if you work hard, people will see that and they will help you.
Thank you so much for your advice . I will do that. Be blessed.

Your step 1 is good but the two red flags here are:

- failed step 2ck and cs (effectively 2 red flags)
- graduation date of 2012

It also hurts more that you need a J-1.

When did you take step 3? Working as a resp therapist full time (?) is evidence of ongoing clinical acumen but a recent step 3 score would help be a testament to that.
Thank you for such a fast reply. Yes I am working as a full time respiratory therapist. I took my step 3 when I was respiratory therapy school(2017). I can’t really do anything about my visa status but any advice on how to be more competitive at this point?
Thank you

What have you been doing since graduating in 2013? It looks like you did a residency in another country? Why aren’t you practicing there?

I was practicing since I graduated from residency as an ER Physician back home.

I think Splenda88 already gave you some excellent advice. Keep in mind you can get practicing rights with 1 year of training in most states if you can figure out something for a visa, and there's more opportunities for licensed physicians who didn't complete a residency every year.

I can't help wondering though, what went wrong for you with Step 2?

I think Splenda88 already gave you some excellent advice. Keep in mind you can get practicing rights with 1 year of training in most states if you can figure out something for a visa, and there's more opportunities for licensed physicians who didn't complete a residency every year.
I can't help wondering though, what went wrong for you with Step 2?
Thank you for your reply. When I think about it I think arrogance and lack of maturity . I had never failed in my life and frankly from the feedback that I had from peers steps 2 was supposed to be the "easy one. I was scared of step1 and had studied hard for it. I wrongly underestimated step 2( CS and CK) and failed brilliantly the first time. The second time I went form 198 to 224 but the injury was already inflicted. For CS, I had underestimated the challenge to make a diagnosis in a language that isn't yours and there again a brilliant failure.
Quick question if I apply to a prelim surgery or pathology, since they usually ask for the desired speciality what should I answer ? Should I say FM or IM (the truth) or should I say pathology or surgery?
Thank you.