Was thinking about retaking DAT but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2k15predent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle, I submitted my app in July and my DAT score in late August. I got a 19AA 20TS 15PAT. Planned to retake because of the low PAT, but I've gotten 2 interviews so far (Houston, San Antonio). I have a high gpa 3.97 overall 3.94 science, lots of volunteer and dental experience, and strong letters (my HPAC interviewer told me so after reading them). Should I still retake it in late November (like the 24th or 25th)? Haven't paid for the exam or anything yet. Oh and I indicated in my TMDSAS app I planned to retake it before December 1st after getting my first score back. Thanks!

**update**
Just in case anyone still reads this thread, I did end up getting an acceptance from San Antonio on dec 1 so obviously I'm really glad I didn't retake the exam for nothing. Don't let one flaw in your application discourage you, keep working hard!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It takes about two weeks for official DAT scores to update on AADSAS as it is, so if you take it around Thanksgiving your score will not get to the schools by Dec 1st. Unless they specifically tell you they're okay with you giving them your unofficial scores you get from the testing center, don't pay to take it again when your results won't make a difference in your admissions decision.

I would talk to the school about it to see if they would consider your scores from a re-take at this point. My opinion is that you shouldn't pay all that money to take it and risk the score going down when it's not all that bad to begin with. If your PAT score is the only bad aspect of your application maybe they'll let it slide, but again talking to the schools would be a lot better than talking to me lol. Good luck!
Thanks for your response! But I thought the rule was that Dec 1st was the deadline to retake it, not the date by which they need to receive your scores? Or is that wrong? I do agree that it would still be really late though which is why I don't know about retaking it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I was wondering if you think I should re-take the DAT?
My AA: 19, TS: 19, QR:19, RC: 19, PA: 18
I went to an ivy league university and have a overall gpa of 3.68

I am ready to apply today, however I am worried about when I would need to re-take the DAT by/if it is worth it. Is it necessary to put my future prospective DAT date on the application? Can I change this later? Would it hurt me to take the DAT by August 1st rather than my application being complete now?

Thanks!

I'm applying this cycle, I submitted my app in July and my DAT score in late August. I got a 19AA 20TS 15PAT. Planned to retake because of the low PAT, but I've gotten 2 interviews so far (Houston, San Antonio). I have a high gpa 3.97 overall 3.94 science, lots of volunteer and dental experience, and strong letters (my HPAC interviewer told me so after reading them). Should I still retake it in late November (like the 24th or 25th)? Haven't paid for the exam or anything yet. Oh and I indicated in my TMDSAS app I planned to retake it before December 1st after getting my first score back. Thanks!

**update**
Just in case anyone still reads this thread, I did end up getting an acceptance from San Antonio on dec 1 so obviously I'm really glad I didn't retake the exam for nothing. Don't let one flaw in your application discourage you, keep working hard!!

Hi guys, I was wondering if you think I should re-take the DAT?
My AA: 19, TS: 19, QR:19, RC: 19, PA: 18
I went to an ivy league university and have a overall gpa of 3.68

I am ready to apply today, however I am worried about when I would need to re-take the DAT by/if it is worth it. Is it necessary to put my future prospective DAT date on the application? Can I change this later? Would it hurt me to take the DAT by August 1st rather than my application being complete now?

Thanks!