Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lolill let you know when i graduate. so far...ehhhhhhh, i probably could've picked a more meaningful career to be honest. i'm content, but i have the feeling of wanting more..if that makes sense?
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
lolill let you know when i graduate. so far...ehhhhhhh, i probably could've picked a more meaningful career to be honest. i'm content, but i have the feeling of wanting more..if that makes sense?
Totally understandable. You can't compare dentistry to trauma surgery; they both help people but in very different ways. I hope it ends up being fulfilling for you!i'm not knocking the profession at all. for me, it's just not as fulfilling as i thought it would be. but who knows, maybe the real world will make me appreciate it more?
my mindset right now is, i probably should have just went the MD route. it would've been more fulfilling to me, at least. just my opinion though
Go OMFS and get the MD.i'm not knocking the profession at all. for me, it's just not as fulfilling as i thought it would be. but who knows, maybe the real world will make me appreciate it more?
my mindset right now is, i probably should have just went the MD route. it would've been more fulfilling to me, at least. just my opinion though
Easier said than done lolGo OMFS and get the MD.
The way I see it is that you find being 35 and still being in school actively learning to not be worth it to you. The extra time you have by not pursuing the MD will be spent on more fulfilling activities that will make you happy, hence the MD isn't really what you want. If it is really what you want and what you find more fulfilling, you'd put in the time and effort to pursue it. Hence, putting two and two together from what you've said, I'm simply curious why you're doubting your choice to go into dentistry.
ehh, that's being a little obtuse don't ya think? i don't have the luxury to do that even if it is ''what i want''. although i would agree with you, if i had the ability to do so i'd consider it
i don't find much satisfaction in doing bread and butter dentistry. simple as that. maybe i could seek other avenues which may ignite a fire? who knows. we'll see after i graduate
I think a lot of practicing dentists feel the same way as you. Personally I think the satisfaction will come from interacting with different patients everyday and being able to alleviate their pain and giving them the confidence to smile. Improve their lives not only physically through treatment, but emotionally and mentally as well through communication and being a positive influence in their lives.
That sounds like something someone would say at an interview and subsequently get grilled for (speaking from personal experience)I think a lot of practicing dentists feel the same way as you. Personally I think the satisfaction will come from interacting with different patients everyday and being able to alleviate their pain and giving them the confidence to smile. Improve their lives not only physically through treatment, but emotionally and mentally as well through communication and being a positive influence in their lives.
Really? Please tell me more about your interview.That sounds like something someone would say at an interview and subsequently get grilled for (speaking from personal experience)
That sounds like something someone would say at an interview and subsequently get grilled for (speaking from personal experience)
None of my interviewers grilled me for telling them this. I was actually applauded for it at two of my interviews. However, I do understand that it may sound very naive coming from a pre-dent.
I am not saying that it will be great and rewarding everyday. It will definitely suck some days and maybe even a lot of days, but I do not see a point in complaining and dwelling on the negatives. Easier said then done, but it is easy for me. I am very thankful for what I have and have a very optimistic mindset.
What is your thoughts about going into dentistry? How you will feel once you start practicing?
This is a honest question that I think about late at night sometimes and maybe you guys could help to ease my mind. I'm someone who loves to travel, originally I was an engineering/finance major and I always fantasized of having that dream job that allowed me to just do it all; travel, have a lot of money, eat good food, see the world, maybe share my experiences with a significant other. While I'm sure there is that very job out there somewhere, the chances of me finding it are just not worth the stress and uncertainty that comes with blindly following a dream. After a few terrible internships and talking with people in the prospective fields I was after, I did some soul searching and wound up in pre-dental. I LOVE the field and I am finally content with my career path, except for the four years and maybe more added on to my already extra year of undergrad. While this is all assuming I get into dental school, I am pretty sure I will at least get in somewhere, I have fairly above average stats.
Back to the question (sorry for the manifesto), do any of you feel like you missed out on your twenties? I would love to hear from just about anyone; practicing dentists and current students. When I look around I feel like I'm missing out sometimes, I'm not really sure on what but it's just this gut feeling. I did pay for friends and joined a fraternity my sophomore year but even then I spend 90% of my time studying or doing homework.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.