This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Explain the MCAT score

• Total voters

MMF84

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had already applied to several schools this year before my MCAT score had been released and unfortunately I absolutely bombed my MCAT. 487 to be exact. A close family member passed away a few days before my test but I chose, rather unwisely, to attempt the exam. Obviously I had already submitted my applications and now I was offered a secondary from one of those schools. I know some schools automatically send out secondaries but this school requires review before they offer them. I am a non traditional applicant in that I am a single mother and at one time was homeless (mentioned in my personal statement). I went back to school and got my Bachelors in Mathematics with a 3.6 GPA. I guess I’m wondering if I should explain the circumstances around my MCAT score in my secondary or do I just leave it be.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With a 487? No way.

Don’t apply this cycle and worry about doing really well on your retake.

Reactions: 4 users
I had actually already applied before my MCAT score was released. I had figured I wouldn’t hear from anyone once I saw my score but then I just got an offer to submit a secondary today

With a 487? No way.

Don’t apply this cycle and worry about doing really well on your retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would withdraw your apps; Neither MD or DO will accept you with a 487. Study really hard for your next MCAT, get 505+ and I'm sure med schools will see your 1st attempt as a fluke secondary to your personal tragedy - make sure you explain that.

Reactions: 6 users
So withdraw even though the school has already reviewed my score and application and offered me the secondary?

I would withdraw your apps; Neither MD or DO will accept you with a 487. Study really hard for your next MCAT, get 505+ and I'm sure med schools will see your 1st attempt as a fluke secondary to your personal tragedy - make sure you explain that.

So withdraw even though the school has already reviewed my score and application and offered me the secondary?

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to complete that secondary.

I think you may be putting too much stock in the fact that you were offered a secondary. Some schools may say they "review" before offering secondaries but they really don't. Or someone glanced over the score or they did not see it prior to offering you a secondary (you received the offer after MCAT score but perhaps they decided before)

Reactions: 2 users
With a 12th percentile MCAT, I really wouldn't hold your breath for an acceptance. I'm sorry for your loss, but as you're aware, with things being as competitive are they are, you aren't in a good position to apply or spend more money at this point. Considering you already submitted and got a secondary, I'd personally drop the money and finish what you started, especially since you likely won't get many more of them, but its likely optimistically naive.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s not an interview invite. It doesn’t really mean anything. I suppose no harm in completing it (except the money and time). But you need to heal, study, and retake your MCAT for the next cycle.

Ok, that’s really good to know. I had a friend that was actually denied from the same school today and she had a 500+ score so that’s what surprised me a bit. I just didn’t know if I should address the score in my secondary. And thank you for the advice, I truly appreciate it.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to complete that secondary.

I think you may be putting too much stock in the fact that you were offered a secondary. Some schools may say they "review" before offering secondaries but they really don't. Or someone glanced over the score or they did not see it prior to offering you a secondary (you received the offer after MCAT score but perhaps they decided before)

Approximately 223 people applied with that GPA/MCAT combination last year. 3 were accepted (and it's worth noting that the GPA bin is 3.6-3.79 and MCAT bin is 486-489, so you are on the lower end of both). If money is a concern, I would not recommend betting on a 1.3% chance. If it isn't a concern, I suppose there's no harm in submitting the secondary.

Yes, I’ve seen the stats which is why I basically hung up the towel for this year. I just wanted to see what you all thought about it so thank you for your honesty and advice. It means a lot

Approximately 223 people applied with that GPA/MCAT combination last year. 3 were accepted (and it's worth noting that the GPA bin is 3.6-3.79 and MCAT bin is 486-489, so you are on the lower end of both). If money is a concern, I would not recommend betting on a 1.3% chance. If it isn't a concern, I suppose there's no harm in submitting the secondary.

I had already applied to several schools this year before my MCAT score had been released and unfortunately I absolutely bombed my MCAT. 487 to be exact. A close family member passed away a few days before my test but I chose, rather unwisely, to attempt the exam. Obviously I had already submitted my applications and now I was offered a secondary from one of those schools. I know some schools automatically send out secondaries but this school requires review before they offer them. I am a non traditional applicant in that I am a single mother and at one time was homeless (mentioned in my personal statement). I went back to school and got my Bachelors in Mathematics with a 3.6 GPA. I guess I’m wondering if I should explain the circumstances around my MCAT score in my secondary or do I just leave it be.
They reviewed your app and frankly, said "here's another sucker". Sorry to be harsh, but filling out the secondary really would be a waste of time and money.

Reactions: 6 users
I would suggest not applying this cycle. 487 is just too low.

You don't want to become a re-applicant and your chances of getting in this year aren't great, so I'd withdraw your apps and apply again next year. Med school isn't going anywhere! Make yourself the strongest applicant possible.