Waterloo Optometry Class of 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ex-eye-ted

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have not yet seen a thread for those applying this cycle to the OD program at Waterloo University, so I thought to start one!
We can use this as a starting point to connect with one another, discuss our applications, and anything else!

From previous years, I've seen others post stats, so here we go!

OAT scores:
GPA:
Major:
ECs:
Casper Date:

Looking forward to meeting everyone in Optometry school!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! So glad you started this thread, its hard to find things like these for us Canadian school applicants

OAT score: pending....am writing on Aug 27th!
GPA: 3.2 ..... I know I am on the low end of the GPA spectrum for Waterloo so that worries me going into applications!
Major: Honours in Biochemistry with a double minor in chem & bio
ECS: working at local optometric practice/shadowing for 5 years, president of pre-optom society, Vice President of financial affairs for 3 clubs on campus (chem/biochem society, habitat for humanity, relay for life), president of the dance society, dance teacher, varsity dance team member and coach, lab volunteer, chemistry lab TA/demonstrator, note-taker for students with disabilities, hospital volunteer, volunteer tutoring, midterm proctor, Be My Eyes volunteer etc
Casper date: August 30th... for some reason I am super nervous for this one

I am definitely worried about my GPA, but my grades saw a huge upward trend in my third year so hopefully that is in my favour. I am hoping that my ECs and experience will pull through though...crossing my fingers for an interview offer in December!

If anyone wants to start a facebook group/message to get to know each other once the process gets rolling I think that would be awesome!

Your ECs are super competitive (diverse and lots of Optometry experiences), and since it's a holistic application, I wouldn't worry about the GPA too much!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
OAT scores: writing Oct 19 (couldn't get a date)
GPA: 82%
Major: Medical Science
ECs: shadowing 3 clinics, working as an optometric assistant, relay for life, various students associations, president of vision screening, anatomy club, intramural volleyball, mentoring, research and two presentations, health sciences council.. etc
Casper Date: Sept 24

I am nervous that my OAT test is so late in the cycle, and I don't know how this will affect my chances of getting a meet and greet invite. Also, my GPA is a little subpar, compared to the mid 80s average that Waterloo states on their site.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if getting research experience is important? I had a pretty cool research opportunity lined up for this summer but it got cancelled due to COVID. I feel like everyone has so much research experience and it makes me feel like my application is missing something.

Also has anyone gotten anything out of Be My Eyes volunteering? I see a lot of people mentioning it but I've never gotten a call or anything so I doubt I'll be able to talk about it/use it on apps.

OAT scores: writing Oct 19 (couldn't get a date)
GPA: 82%
Major: Medical Science
ECs: shadowing 3 clinics, working as an optometric assistant, relay for life, various students associations, president of vision screening, anatomy club, intramural volleyball, mentoring, research and two presentations, health sciences council.. etc
Casper Date: Sept 24

I am nervous that my OAT test is so late in the cycle, and I don't know how this will affect my chances of getting a meet and greet invite. Also, my GPA is a little subpar, compared to the mid 80s average that Waterloo states on their site.

Don't be nervous! I won't have mine's before the invites get sent out.

OAT scores: Writing in December...
GPA: 85%
Major: Biochemistry
ECs: Research mostly, wasn't too involved in a lot but have a few things to say.
Casper Date: August 13th

Just barely at the minimum requirements, but hopefully I can charm them in the super short meet and greet (LOL), Got nothing to lose so we will see!!

OAT scores: Writing Nov 7th (pretty late but the only time I could schedule it)
GPA: 3.5
Major: Biology (honours)
ECs: Medical Intern for chief of surgery at the URVH (published a paper with him at the end of the summer looking at aspirin compliance), student research assistant in a university lab for two years, president of biology society, vice president of cancer campaigns, vice president of finance for health care society, International mentor for 2 years, TA for first and second biology courses, midterm proctor, Volunteer Ambassador for the pacific assistance dog society, Hospital volunteer, started my own side business selling portrait art, shadowed an optometrist for the summer (kinda worried my shadowing time is lacking as I didn't know I wanted to pursue optometry until I graduated and also covid made my start date late)
Casper Date: August 30

Hi everyone!

I wrote my OAT in January 2020, and was wondering how to ensure that University of Waterloo actually receives the scores. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi guys,

Did any of you end up completing the casper snapshot? is it required for Waterloo?
I completed the Casper Snapshot. I don’t think it is required but I figured it would be some good interview practice. It was straight forward and definitely some good practice.

Do you guys think it is okay to submit application before OAT. I'm rewriting on oct 10

I think it is totally fine considering that some of us are not writing the OAT until after the offers for an interview come out! Some test dates are after the application is due, so I wouldn't worry.

OAT scores: 390TS/380AA
GPA: 87%
Major: physiology
Casper Date: Oct 22 (very worry about Casper)
ESs: shadowing two optometrists for 100+ hrs, volunteer in Sickkid Hosptial, shadowing a dentist, volunteer in elementary school, Carefree Lodge volunteer, few executive positions, few positions on campus. I was planning to work as an optometric assistant this summer and this coming year, but COVID kind of mess up all my plan. One thing I am worried about the most is that I literally have zero research experience, don't know whether that will affect my ECs :(

Hey everyone! I see on the Waterloo website that they require Casper Snapshot. Has anyone done this yet? How was it? I have been going over interview type questions I've been finding online and have practiced and recorded myself using the 2 practice questions they give you.

Hey everyone. Does anyone know how to look at your already submitted online application through OUAC? I can’t seem to find a copy of my application.

Thanks!!

Does anybody know when interview invitations for Waterloo go out? Kind of going crazy waiting lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know when interview invitations for Waterloo go out? Kind of going crazy waiting lol
I think they send them out by Dec 1st...so I am assuming they'll send them out at the last day of the month. I am also going nuts waiting

Me too! From looking at SDN forums from previous years, it seems that most interview invites go out around November 21st! Good luck to everyone :)

Has everyone already taken the OAT? I'm writing it on December 29th and I'm not sure if not having an OAT score will affect me landing an interview. The last day to write the OAT is January 6th

Has everyone already taken the OAT? I'm writing it on December 29th and I'm not sure if not having an OAT score will affect me landing an interview. The last day to write the OAT is January 6th
My best guess is if your grades are around average they give you an interview, and just factor in your oat score for the final decision.

Got mine! :) Haven't written the OAT yet.

I got mine as well! Congrats everybody! If anyone wants to ever link up (virtually) to prepare for the meet and greet together, feel free to hit me up :)

Reactions: 2 users
Do you guys think they took the OAT score into consideration when handing out the interview? I feel like everyone I know whether they wrote the OAT or not, all got the interview.

Do you guys think they took the OAT score into consideration when handing out the interview? I feel like everyone I know whether they wrote the OAT or not, all got the interview.
hey, i still have to write my OAT in December but i received an interview so i don't think they take the OAT into consideration.

does it say anywhere how many people are selected for interviews?

does it say anywhere how many people are selected for interviews?
Hey, I'm looking at previous year forums and I'm seeing that about 150-200 students are selected for meet and greet, it varies from year to year. Maybe they'll give us a number in the next email about meet & greets?

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone! Just got my meet and greet invite. I haven't written my oat yet as it's booked for Nov 30th (soon!). My original date of August 12th was canceled due to covid fml.

Anyway, I was wondering if it's a good thing that I got invited without them knowing how I'm going to score? How has everyone else been scoring on it. SOS, I honestly don't know if I'll be able to pull off a 370....

Hello everyone! Just got my meet and greet invite. I haven't written my oat yet as it's booked for Nov 30th (soon!). My original date of August 12th was canceled due to covid fml.

Anyway, I was wondering if it's a good thing that I got invited without them knowing how I'm going to score? How has everyone else been scoring on it. SOS, I honestly don't know if I'll be able to pull off a 370....
Now that I've read more comments I think the general consensus is that they don't consider it too heavily for the interview invite.

I got a invite today, however my score for one of the oat section was below 300. would this impact my final decision of being accepted

I am in the same situation, their website says that if any section is below 300 we must retake it. I’m booking mine now but hoping it doesn’t get postponed because of covid!

I am in the same situation, their website says that if any section is below 300 we must retake it. I’m booking mine now but hoping it doesn’t get postponed because of covid!
I don't know if I can, because of the 90 day wait :(

My 90 day period ends on jan 10 and the last day to take for fall 2021 is jan 6. so im not sure If I can retake? maybe emailing them would be better. If possible I would retake feb so my results are in my end march

My 90 day period ends on jan 10 and the last day to take for fall 2021 is jan 6. so im not sure If I can retake? maybe emailing them would be better. If possible I would retake feb so my results are in my end march
Yeah, I am not really sure how it works. Let me know what they say and I'll do the same. If you retake in feb, would that count for next cycle then?

isnt jan 8 the last day? :oops:

I emailed to see if the OAT deadline is flexible at all for those of us who need to retake it. I went to schedule mine today and there aren’t any testing appointments available before the 8th that don’t clash with my actual school exams (love having only one testing centre for all of the Atlantic provinces). I’ll update when I get a response!

guys i havent written the OAT, but i booked it on Jan 7th, but i just got an email saying it has been cancelled due to COVID 😭 what should i do?

guys i havent written the OAT, but i booked it on Jan 7th, but i just got an email saying it has been cancelled due to COVID 😭 what should i do?
I would certainly email admissions and ask, I’m sure if many of us approach with similar concerns about the deadline that they will be inclined to accommodate!

• Love
I have had my test canceled becuase my areas testing centre closed for a few months to move buildings and I phoned Prometric and they helped me find a new test date. Im not sure with Covid how it will work but its worth a try to phone them

mine was jan8, also received a email saying it is cancelled. not sure what todo.