Waterloo Optometry Class of 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has heard back from their references that they've received an email from UW with the confidential assessment form?? I've received a meet and greet invite, but both of my references haven't gotten an email yet. Just wanting to check that nothing has slipped through the cracks since they're due kinda soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has heard back from their references that they've received an email from UW with the confidential assessment form?? I've received a meet and greet invite, but both of my references haven't gotten an email yet. Just wanting to check that nothing has slipped through the cracks since they're due kinda soon!
My references received the emails less than a day after I submitted my AIF. Maybe ask your references to check junk mail? Or contact uw about that because i think it said somewhere that references would receive an email 1-2 business days later.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

Email them and they will send it again! One of my references didn't get it at the time (or maybe they had not seen their junk emails). UW will simply resend it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does quest show when your references have submitted the form? My references have submitted the form already but no date is showing on quest.
yeah, click documents and it should have the date next to it

Hi everyone,

My references also did not receive it and I emailed UW to have it resent

Does quest show when your references have submitted the form? My references have submitted the form already but no date is showing on quest

For one of my references a date didn't appear for weeks after they submitted it, so I asked them to resubmit it again and a date appeared the next day. I think there might have been a glitch the first time they submitted so I would email your reference and ask them to send it again!

I was initially supposed to take the OAT on December 28th but it got cancelled because of COVID. I was then able to reschedule to January 6th at a testing center 2 hours away. Also, one thing i noticed is that appointment availabilities change really fast. For example, it might show there are no appointments available for a particular date but if you check back in 30 min or an hour they might have one.. its weird. SO try checking multiple times a day and reschedule if you still can. Hopefully my January 6th appointment doesn't get cancelled. Waterloo doesn't want to accommodate any situation which i think is really messed up given the circumstances were all in.
Hi!

Just wondering if you are still writing your exam on Jan 6th? I got an an email to reschedule (as my exam previously got cancelled), but for some reason I still cannot register for a new date... :(

Hello everyone,

I have my OAT written and have graduated from my undergrad last Spring (2020), but missed the Mid-july application date for the 2021 Sept cycle. As such, I will be applying for the 2022 Sept cycle instead. Is there anything in particular I need to prepare prior to this date? As I understand, there are no written essay questions for the application, yes? I am unsure of what I actually require since the Waterloo OUAC does not list the Doctor of Opto program as open so I cannot see what I need to submit when the time comes. And I am aware of the other prereqs, such as shadowing hours and whatnot.

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I have my OAT written and have graduated from my undergrad last Spring (2020), but missed the Mid-july application date for the 2021 Sept cycle. As such, I will be applying for the 2022 Sept cycle instead. Is there anything in particular I need to prepare prior to this date? As I understand, there are no written essay questions for the application, yes? I am unsure of what I actually require since the Waterloo OUAC does not list the Doctor of Opto program as open so I cannot see what I need to submit when the time comes. And I am aware of the other prereqs, such as shadowing hours and whatnot.

Thanks
Hello,
For this year, we had to complete the AIF form which asked us a few questions such as if we completed a full course load for 6 semesters and what not. Also, the AIF asked us to input awards, experiences, marks, and things like that. You are correct in that there is no essay to write! I think that is all they ask for in the application!
Happy to answer any other questions!

I just received an email this morning from Prometric saying my exam scheduled for this Friday (Jan 8) was cancelled due to covid. Does this mean my application will no longer be considered because I couldn’t take the OAT? I know some other people here had the same issue, what did you guys do?

I just received an email this morning from Prometric saying my exam scheduled for this Friday (Jan 8) was cancelled due to covid. Does this mean my application will no longer be considered because I couldn’t take the OAT? I know some other people here had the same issue, what did you guys do?
are you writing in Ontario?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote mine yesterday, Have you tried the prometric on March road or in Gatineau?
I have it scheduled at the one on March road! I received a call from them yesterday to confirm my exam but I just received an email from Prometric saying it was cancelled.

I have it scheduled at the one on March road! I received a call from them yesterday to confirm my exam but I just received an email from Prometric saying it was cancelled.
my exam also got cancelled. I was suppose to write it on Jan 3rd and I am unable to register for a new date.

my exam also got cancelled. I was suppose to write it on Jan 3rd and I am unable to register for a new date.
When I log onto my account with Prometric it still says my exam is scheduled for this Friday. Did the same thing happen to you?

sometimes Prometric is slow at updating the information. If you received an e-mail stating that your exam is cancelled then it is most likely cancelled (but you can always contact them to confirm)

I also recieved an email that my exam is cancelled. And whenever I try to login to Prometric it says error (I tried contacting them through e-mail but they still didn't get back to me)

I had my exam for Jan 2nd cancelled back towards the end of December. I emailed admissions about it and they asked for a copy of my cancellation email and they mentioned that they do have a bit of flexibility with respect to test writing dates, but they couldn't say anything more as they weren't sure at the time exactly what was going to happen in the new year. I'd encourage you guys to give them an email and see what they say as a starting point.

I ended up getting lucky and was able to reschedule for the same day and write it in Ottawa at the March road location.

I had my exam for Jan 2nd cancelled back towards the end of December. I emailed admissions about it and they asked for a copy of my cancellation email and they mentioned that they do have a bit of flexibility with respect to test writing dates, but they couldn't say anything more as they weren't sure at the time exactly what was going to happen in the new year. I'd encourage you guys to give them an email and see what they say as a starting point.

I ended up getting lucky and was able to reschedule for the same day and write it in Ottawa at the March road location.
My test was also cancelled, and when I emailed them, they said the same thing!

Hello! I have a question about our transcript for fall term coursework that needs to be sent to Waterloo at the end of January. Will it show that they received it in our Quest account under documents?

Hello! I have a question about our transcript for fall term coursework that needs to be sent to Waterloo at the end of January. Will it show that they received it in our Quest account under documents?
I believe it should yes!

Hi!

Just wondering if you are still writing your exam on Jan 6th? I got an an email to reschedule (as my exam previously got cancelled), but for some reason I still cannot register for a new date... :(
Hello, sorry for the very late response but yes, luckily i was able to write the exam on the 6th.

Hello! Does anyone know how strict Waterloo is about taking 5 classes in at least 6 semesters in undergrad? A friend will finish her B Sc in four years, but she had AP credit and took some summer classes. She didn't have a full 5 class load for a lot of semesters as she had other commitments.
Hi! It seems it is a requirement. However, they do say on their website that we can explain in our application why we didn't take full course loads certain semesters. There was a section in the AIF you can fill out. I think if she filled it out explaining why then it might be fine!

That meet & greet was something...
Did you just watch the videos and read the links/presentations? I found it odd that there's no way of "submitting" the meet and greet, in the sense that they would know you read everything and participated.
Also, could you access the link to the OD curriculum? It wouldn't load for me.

That meet & greet was something...
I couldn't agree more. Very little effort on their end and kind of surprising that they couldn't organize a virtual zoom meet and greet where they would have breakout rooms for each faculty member. I wish I was on their organizing committee lol.

Did you just watch the videos and read the links/presentations? I found it odd that there's no way of "submitting" the meet and greet, in the sense that they would know you read everything and participated.

Curriculum wouldn’t load for me either! I did find the rest of their stuff very informative though

I think the only way they know you went through it is from when you had to type in your name after clicking the link. My link for the curriculum didn't work either but they went over that curriculum in detail in the "round table" PowerPoint.

I was able to access it, but I went on during the afternoon, so maybe it was fixed by then ?

Does anyone know the tuition breakdown for each year? Online it says 18,000 per year except the 4th year being 2,400, but i’ve heard different things about this year.

I can't wait to go to Montreal!! I definitely hope someone will plan a trip to visit the French school in 2nd/3rd year to make up for anything cancelled! The meet & greet was so cute! I enjoyed it.
Does anyone know the tuition breakdown for each year? Online it says 18,000 per year except the 4th year being 2,400, but i’ve heard different things about this year.
For tuition alone it will be (currently around $ 7800) x 9 semesters = ~70 k. Optometry tuition per semester is the same as any degree from the faculty of science.

I couldn’t access the OD curriculum page either but I’m almost certain that you can access it on the admissions page. I remember finding it when I was browsing the website! It outlines every course with a description

I wasn't able to attend the meet and greet. In the email it states to complete a form regarding immunizations. Were you guys able to do that ?

I wasn't able to attend the meet and greet. In the email it states to complete a form regarding immunizations. Were you guys able to do that ?
Yes we did. Sorry you couldn't attend but definitely let them know why you weren't able to attend.

Hi everyone,

If you send your transcripts electronically, is there a specific reference number you need to provide? I'm trying to fill out a transcript request online and my school asks for a reference/application number (if applicable). Is this necessary?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

it said we need to do a police record check during the meet and greet. this is only to be done if we get a offer right?

I wrote my OAT Jan 8, how do I make sure that Waterloo got my results?

I wrote my OAT Jan 8, how do I make sure that Waterloo got my results?
it will show on the documents section on Quest that your OAT scores were uploaded, as long as you put down Waterloo on the ada website when you applied to write the OAT

Does anyone know how long it takes for Quest to update once my transcript is received? I know it was delivered to UWaterloo but I'm still going to check the Documents section every day to confirm that they got it.

I guess now we wait haha! Goodluck to all of you! I'm not sure how many of us are left in the pool after the initial cutoff for interviews, but I wish I got a chance to meet all of you on interview day!

Reactions: 1 users
I guess now we wait haha! Goodluck to all of you! I'm not sure how many of us are left in the pool after the initial cutoff for interviews, but I wish I got a chance to meet all of you on interview day!
I am very nervous and anxious. Considering the meet and greet was virtual, it would have really helped if they left us know about their decisions earliest than March 30.

I am very nervous and anxious. Considering the meet and greet was virtual, it would have really helped if they left us know about their decisions earliest than March 30.
Agreed! I think they could probably make the admissions decision earlier than that. I'm just gonna try to focus on other things and keep myself distracted until then haha! Best of luck to all of you.

Reactions: 2 users
I am very nervous too. It's wild how American schools are able to provide decisions so quickly despite having 2-3 times more applicants. However, Waterloo's admissions team is probably much smaller in capacity and I actually prefer students finding out the admissions decision at the same time. Sucks that we have to wait so long ;( Curious to find out if the applicant pool has increased or reduced in size too!

I am very nervous too. It's wild how American schools are able to provide decisions so quickly despite having 2-3 times more applicants. However, Waterloo's admissions team is probably much smaller in capacity and I actually prefer students finding out the admissions decision at the same time. Sucks that we have to wait so long ;( Curious to find out if the applicant pool has increased or reduced in size too!
Lol I don't understand how Waterloo receives ~300 applicants even though it is the only English speaking optometry school in Canada.

For those of you that couldn't write your OAT before Jan 8th because of the Prometric cancellations, do you just have to apply next year? Someone else mentioned that Waterloo wasn't changing their deadline so I'm just curious.

I ended up being able to write it before the deadline. For those who wrote it in January, have your test results appeared on Quest yet?