Waterloo Optometry Class of 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We didn’t have to fill out the immunization form right? It said after acceptance above that part...along w the police clearance. RIGHT

Members don't see this ad.

We didn’t have to fill out the immunization form right? It said after acceptance above that part...along w the police clearance. RIGHT
Correct!!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
no you do. I missed it, and emailed them, and they resent the form to me. They were pretty stern about missing it, so I think you should email them
The form you're talking about is the acknowledgement form right? saying that you'll provide your vaccination records if you are accepted?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The form you're talking about is the acknowledgement form right? saying that you'll provide your vaccination records if you are accepted?
Not too sure about this either. I know after entering the meet and greet link, there was a really quick immunization form... is that what everyone is talking about?

Not too sure about this either. I know after entering the meet and greet link, there was a really quick immunization form... is that what everyone is talking about?
Yes, it was super easy to fill out. The expectation was that we would fill it out during the meet and greet, as noted in Dr. Hileeto's email to us.

wasn't that the acknowledgment form? It was like a separate link right?

Oh dear I didn't fill anything out because from what I understood it was for accepted students...shoot. They are not going to love getting an email from me about it only now

Oh dear I didn't fill anything out because from what I understood it was for accepted students...shoot. They are not going to love getting an email from me about it only now
I had to email them too so a bunch of us are in the same boat. A quick form about not discussing details of the meet and greet popped up when I clicked the link but not anything about immunization

no you do. I missed it, and emailed them, and they resent the form to me. They were pretty stern about missing it, so I think you should email them
Everyone got the same “attention to detail” comment unfortunately

Everyone got the same “attention to detail” comment unfortunately
Yeah, I've emailed a couple times over the past year and the tone of the responses always make me regret sending an email in the first place.

Reactions: 4 users
Did you get a confirmation when you completed the form or did it just bring you back to the homepage?

I had to email them too so a bunch of us are in the same boat. A quick form about not discussing details of the meet and greet popped up when I clicked the link but not anything about immunization
The immunization form was at the bottom of the meet and greet page! Where the link to the curriculum stuff was :( it wasn’t very obvious it was one of the last links

Can someone clarify if the immunization form is the one that said you will provide proof of immunizations upon acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone clarify if the immunization form is the one that said you will provide proof of immunizations upon acceptance?
Yes! I’m pretty confident that’s what it was. Was at the bottom of the page

Yes! I’m pretty confident that’s what it was. Was at the bottom of the page
Yup, I can confirm. I read through it carefully and it was just acknowledging that you would be required to provide immunization info upon admission. You didn't have to send anything else to them since we're all still applicants.

Hey guys, I forgot about the Meet & Greet day since it was virtual (yikes, I know). Did they mention anything about it having been mandatory to attend to continue in the application cycle?

Hey guys, I forgot about the Meet & Greet day since it was virtual (yikes, I know). Did they mention anything about it having been mandatory to attend to continue in the application cycle?
Pretty sure they have some sort of a method to keep track. Sad to say but you don't seem that interested in admission if you missed that.

We did have to type our names and IDs if I remember correctly when you first open the link.

We did have to type our names and IDs if I remember correctly when you first open the link.
I'm getting all up in my head now with everyone talking about the immunization form. It was literally just that right, and it was basically confirming that we'd have to complete it at a later date/upon admission, with nothing else to actually submit right?

I'm getting all up in my head now with everyone talking about the immunization form. It was literally just that right, and it was basically confirming that we'd have to complete it at a later date/upon admission, with nothing else to actually submit right?
Yes it was just that form, nothing else. But again, we did have to submit our names when first clicking the link they sent us so I don't know if they were monitoring who was actually attending the Meet and Greet through that method.

Yup, thanks for confirming. Just wanted to make sure the form I filled out was what people were talking about.

Yes it was just that form, nothing else. But again, we did have to submit our names when first clicking the link they sent us so I don't know if they were monitoring who was actually attending the Meet and Greet through that method.
There was no confirmation email or anything received after submitting the form, correct?

Sooooo are they gonna let us know throughout March or everyone finds out at the end of March? The waiting is killing me.

Sooooo are they gonna let us know throughout March or everyone finds out at the end of March? The waiting is killing me.
I'm tired of waiting too. From my understanding, everyone will find out at once via email at the end of March.

Did anyone get the "how to save money for University" email from waterloo? Lol it got me excited

Reactions: 2 users
Oh I didn't get it! Weird...
Don’t worry neither did I! I actually unsubscribed from the Waterloo emails that weren’t optom related bc I hated getting excited about a notification LOL

Is anyone else holding a spot at NECO and also waiting for Waterloo?

Hey guys,

Do you know how much OSAP helps us out with the tuition? Do we have the 30% grant like we did in undergrad?

Hey guys,

Do you know how much OSAP helps us out with the tuition? Do we have the 30% grant like we did in undergrad?

you can check out the osap aid estimator ! i dont think they have 2021/22 up yet but you can get an estimate for 2020/21 :)

Hey everyone, first time posting here. First time applicant as well. It's been such a crazy year and honestly I've been having a really rough time. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any input.

My stats:
Academics - Average ~ 82% undergraduate, completed MSc
OAT 400 TS , 400 AA
ECs ~300 hours as an optometric assistant (currently still working), hospital volunteer, long-term care centre intern, president of student associations, student science journal writer, research presentations, leadership awards, intramural sports,
Obviously you can take any of our comments with a grain of salt because nobody really knows what the admissions committee is exactly looking for. However, I think you have a really good chance of acceptance because your OAT scores are strong and your ECs are outstanding! You're clearly well-rounded, which is always appreciated by these committees. Your GPA is not super high of course, but it is in the range of acceptances. Keep in mind, you don't need to be in the high 80s or low 90s to get accepted. There are other factors that will weight into their decision as well (CASPer and Snapshot). Hope this helps ease your mind a bit!

Obviously you can take any of our comments with a grain of salt because nobody really knows what the admissions committee is exactly looking for. However, I think you have a really good chance of acceptance because your OAT scores are strong and your ECs are outstanding! You're clearly well-rounded, which is always appreciated by these committees. Your GPA is not super high of course, but it is in the range of acceptances. Keep in mind, you don't need to be in the high 80s or low 90s to get accepted. There are other factors that will weight into their decision as well (CASPer and Snapshot). Hope this helps ease your mind a bit!
Hi anxious.eyes,

Thank you for your response, really appreciate it. Its as you said.. my concerns lie with my average being on the lower end of the acceptance range. You're also right about there being so many other factors . I've done the CASPer so many times (for other professional school apps) and there's just no way of knowing how you do. I'm hoping my ECs will hold some weight, so fingers crossed . Thank you again, means a lot during times like now.

• Care
Also really late posting.
GPA 3.9/4 both undergrad and masters
BSc biology honours psychology. Accelerated MA psychology.
OAT 340/340.
ECs 300 hours volunteering as a medical first responder, 150 hours tutoring and 100 hours mentoring disabled children. Worked 20 hours a week and every summer (lifeguard, instructor and tutor). Classical guitar, and competitive lifesaving. Working as a TA and research assistant and have one conference presentation. Multiple academic awards and one major research award (CIHR). Very little optometry experience (12 hours shadowing) my summer job was cancelled due to covid.
I am also worried about Snapshot. I also applied to medicine and at the time Waterloo didnt required it but dalhousie medicine did. So I applied with medical school in mind....
Everyone here seems to have way more optometry experience and higher OAT. Do I even stand a chance?

Out of curiosity does anyone know the range of accepted OAT scores? I know the average is usually about 380 but I am assuming that means lower scores get in.

Out of curiosity does anyone know the range of accepted OAT scores? I know the average is usually about 380 but I am assuming that means lower scores get in.
I wouldn’t worry too much about your OAT, your gpa (depending on what 3.9 really means) and CIHR award (if it is related to your MA) are both tangibles that are well above the average - even the average grad student. Even if you had a 300, I think your chances are pretty good. My 2c.

I wouldn’t worry too much about your OAT, your gpa (depending on what 3.9 really means) and CIHR award (if it is related to your MA) are both tangibles that are well above the average - even the average grad student. Even if you had a 300, I think your chances are pretty good. My 2c.
Thanks! I think I have reached that point where panic is hitting big time and I cant do anything about it. 😅
My gpa is an A average which I think was an 89% but I cant remember...

Thanks! I think I have reached that point where panic is hitting big time and I cant do anything about it. 😅
My gpa is an A average which I think was an 89% but I cant remember...
If it provides any sort of comfort, I'm feeling panicked and uneasy too as the end of March approaches. The best thing we can do is have faith in ourselves and focus on all the things that make us stand out rather than our perceived shortcomings. At the end of the day, they've accepted a wide range of OAT scores and GPAs. So you never really know until that email arrives :)

Reactions: 5 users
Yes, good luck everyone! I'm also feeling nervous but lets all just remain confident and hope for the best :)

Reactions: 4 users
2 weeks!!!! I'm going crazy waiting lol!! Best of luck to you all!:)
I am losing my mind too. Got a fantastic paying job in Toronto, but waiting to finalize if I wanna move there.

when do you guys think we will find out? going crazy waiting.

do you think this year they had more applicants or less due to covid?

when do you guys think we will find out? going crazy waiting.

do you think this year they had more applicants or less due to covid?
I have heard that most programs recieved more applications in general. In particular medical schools have. So its likely similar.

I think we are going to find out on the 29th or 30th.... No real justification just a feeling.

I have heard that most programs recieved more applications in general. In particular medical schools have. So its likely similar.

I think we are going to find out on the 29th or 30th.... No real justification just a feeling.
Ahh! That makes me so nervous to think about. I've been telling myself it'll be March 31st to prepare myself for the wait... but as it gets closer the prospect that it may be earlier than the 31st is something I didnt think about.

I wish everyone the best of luck!!!

just based on previous forums it looks like they usually release them on the last Tuesday of March? So I think the 30th is a pretty good guess!

just based on previous forums it looks like they usually release them on the last Tuesday of March? So I think the 30th is a pretty good guess!
I'm hoping I am wrong but I doubt it will be this week or next.