Waterloo Optometry Class of 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Me too, wondering the same thing!
Same here! My friend scored below 300 in more than one section and was still invited to the meet and greet. They had already received her results so maybe it's on a case by case basis.

Members don't see this ad.

The waterloo website says once you're invited to the meet&greet you have to send a second transcript by the January deadline. Should I still send one despite there being no changes to my transcript? I didn't take any classes this Fall 2020 term (I graduated in June).

Update: Waterloo emailed me back and said that they are not changing their Jan 8th deadline :/

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received any more details on the meet and greet? I thought the original email said they’d send more by the 18th?

I have not! I have been checking my emails super often because I am so curious about how it will go haha
Haha okay good! Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t the only one.

Woah, I am reading this email right? So the snapshot replaced the interview??? Goodness, I feel like I was so awkward during my snapshot :')
Yup you’re reading that right!! I totally was awkward too. I’m kinda disappointed by this

my snapshot was not my best...I was so hoping for an actual online interview to be able to talk to faculty! this is unfortunate news

I am bummed out by this. I was really hoping that we could talk to faculty and students, and that our personalities can stand out more than just our numbers. This is unfortunate.

Reactions: 1 users
What does everybody think about the decision to eliminate the "personal talk" portion of the meet and greet this year?

I was waitlisted for my first application (last year) so I have been through the meet and greet before and I think it was a critical contribution to my application and position on the waitlist. I feel as though not modifying the personal talk to be through video call or at least modified to be a written personal statement is unfair to us applicants.

I'm considering reaching out to Waterloo if others agree with me and would do the same.

I’m really disappointed that they decided to not do a personal talk. A lot of schools accommodated and moved online for interviews. I’m really upset that Waterloo didn’t do the same. I feel like it’s unfair for them to do this. They never get to see us past our numbers or why we are passionate about the school.

i wish there was something we could do to change their minds. Do you think it’s possible haha
I agree!! Maybe we could all send emails expressing our disappointment?

I’m really disappointed that they decided to not do a personal talk. A lot of schools accommodated and moved online for interviews. I’m really upset that Waterloo didn’t do the same. I feel like it’s unfair for them to do this. They never get to see us past our numbers or why we are passionate about the school.

i wish there was something we could do to change their minds. Do you think it’s possible haha
From
I agree!! Maybe we could all send emails expressing our disappointment?
I contacted them asking about it. They seem very firm on their stance to have it the way it is.; they were a bit rude in the response so I hope it did not hurt my application by asking!

Last edited:
I hope you guys don't take this the wrong way and I might sound abrasive, but if the logistics are not feasible, then it will not happen. I wish it was a fair or not fair thing, but professional school will never be based on fairness. Some other schools or departments might have the ability to hold interviews, but we don't know the circumstances of this one.

TBH I was also banking on the face to face interview (refer to my first post), but the email basically confirms to me that this year will be a numbers, achievements and references game. I actually doubt they will heavily factor in the casper snap shot for 90% of the applicants.

:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else get their OAT cancelled!? I was suppose to retake it soon and just got an e-mail regarding the cancellation :(.

Considering that the meet and greet has been also replaced by CASPER, I am afraid they might focus more on our grades and OAT scores. Ah man I am so stressed!!

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else get their OAT cancelled!? I was suppose to retake it soon and just got an e-mail regarding the cancellation :(.

Considering that the meet and greet has been also replaced by CASPER, I am afraid they might focus more on our grades and OAT scores. Ah man I am so stressed!!
Same here!😭

Is there anyone who applied for the 2021 cycle and did NOT receive an invitation to the meet and greet? I’m wondering if either A) they emailed the invite to everyone, or B) they emailed the invite to just the people they are planning to accept...

Just got an email from Prometric saying my OAT test was cancelled due to COVID. I am so sad that we are not given a fair chance, and that circumstances beyond our control may be the reason for us not getting in. Is there anything you have done to rebook? I tried calling Prometric and they are closed due to COVID.

• Sad
Just got an email from Prometric saying my OAT test was cancelled due to COVID. I am so sad that we are not given a fair chance, and that circumstances beyond our control may be the reason for us not getting in. Is there anything you have done to rebook? I tried calling Prometric and they are closed due to COVID.
I was initially supposed to take the OAT on December 28th but it got cancelled because of COVID. I was then able to reschedule to January 6th at a testing center 2 hours away. Also, one thing i noticed is that appointment availabilities change really fast. For example, it might show there are no appointments available for a particular date but if you check back in 30 min or an hour they might have one.. its weird. SO try checking multiple times a day and reschedule if you still can. Hopefully my January 6th appointment doesn't get cancelled. Waterloo doesn't want to accommodate any situation which i think is really messed up given the circumstances were all in.

I was initially supposed to take the OAT on December 28th but it got cancelled because of COVID. I was then able to reschedule to January 6th at a testing center 2 hours away. Also, one thing i noticed is that appointment availabilities change really fast. For example, it might show there are no appointments available for a particular date but if you check back in 30 min or an hour they might have one.. its weird. SO try checking multiple times a day and reschedule if you still can. Hopefully my January 6th appointment doesn't get cancelled. Waterloo doesn't want to accommodate any situation which i think is really messed up given the circumstances were all in.

My OAT also got cancelled. I was suppose to take it on Jan 3rd. For some reason, when I try to reschedule it....I am unable to (even though it is showing me that some dates are available). But after checking again, I can see that there are no dates available. Could you kindly keep us posted regarding your apponitment? I really hope UW can give an extension for the OAT scores/due date considering that alot of us got our exam cancelled :(

Yeah I really wish they would have been more flexible on that date, there was only one day at my test centre available before Jan 8th and it is tomorrow, so I only had less than a week to study after my finals for school. Of course there are dates right after Jan 8th but I didn’t want to chance it. Hopefully I can do decently with the time I had

My OAT also got cancelled. I was suppose to take it on Jan 3rd. For some reason, when I try to reschedule it....I am unable to (even though it is showing me that some dates are available). But after checking again, I can see that there are no dates available. Could you kindly keep us posted regarding your apponitment? I really hope UW can give an extension for the OAT scores/due date considering that alot of us got our exam cancelled :(
Did you get an email from Prometric saying "You may proceed to go online at www.prometric.com to schedule a new appointment." After I got this email i was able to reschedule but before that i couldn't.

Did you get an email from Prometric saying "You may proceed to go online at www.prometric.com to schedule a new appointment." After I got this email i was able to reschedule but before that i couldn't.
ohh okay. No, I didn't get any e-mail. The only e-mail I got states that my exam is cancelled :/

ohh okay. No, I didn't get any e-mail. The only e-mail I got states that my exam is cancelled :/
Wait 2-3 days, I got my email after 3 days. If you still don't get an email contact Prometric.

Is there anyone who applied for the 2021 cycle and did NOT receive an invitation to the meet and greet? I’m wondering if either A) they emailed the invite to everyone, or B) they emailed the invite to just the people they are planning to accept...
I'm also curious about this

I'm also curious about this
Someone replied saying they know someone who got rejected due to low GPA but now it’s deleted so I’m not sure how true that is?

since Ontario is going into lockdown, does this mean test centres in Ontario close?

since Ontario is going into lockdown, does this mean test centres in Ontario close?
I feel like test locations are not essential, so maybe. Let’s see what the government says tomorrow. I heard they are supposed to make an announcement. This is stressful. We all deserve a fair chance and Waterloo should help accommodate.

The waterloo website says once you're invited to the meet&greet you have to send a second transcript by the January deadline. Should I still send one despite there being no changes to my transcript? I didn't take any classes this Fall 2020 term (I graduated in June).
did you find an answer to this? Also in the same boat

I know someone who did not get an invite.

• Hmm
did you find an answer to this? Also in the same boat
This is straight from the Meet & Greet email update from a few days ago so if you didn't take any new classes, you don't have to send another transcript! "A quick reminder that you will need to arrange to have official transcripts with your fall 2020 grades sent to the Registrar’s Office by the January 31, 2021 deadline. If you didn’t take courses in fall 2020, you don’t need to send a transcript."

I really hope everyone who hasn’t had the chance to write the OAT yet is able to before the deadline. My test was cancelled three times last march and I wasn’t able to write until October but I’m really feeling for the people who are getting theirs cancelled right now. This is so unfortunate

Does anyone know if we are able to update our AIF if anything changes? Like if we get a new job or something that we want to include on our application

Does anyone know if we are able to update our AIF if anything changes? Like if we get a new job or something that we want to include on our application
My friend said she emailed and asked and they said no. I legit got an extra 40 hours of shadowing that they won't know about... :(

I've been trying to reschedule my OAT but the closest testing center with a date before Jan 8th is 4 hours away at 9am, and across the border... Can't even try to contact admissions about it right now because they're closed for holidays until January 4th.

I've been trying to reschedule my OAT but the closest testing center with a date before Jan 8th is 4 hours away at 9am, and across the border... Can't even try to contact admissions about it right now because they're closed for holidays until January 4th.
Are you able to cross the border? I know it is closed unless the travel is essential. Would this count?

I think we should send the proof from Prometric saying that our exam was cancelled. Maybe if they see how many people are affected by this, then they will be more inclined to accommodate! Plus, with new lockdowns in Ontario starting, test locations may be closing.

Are you able to cross the border? I know it is closed unless the travel is essential. Would this count?
I had difficulty finding an OAT date back in August, so I called border services to get a verbal confirmation if I would be allowed to cross the border into the US to write one. He asked if I was in medical school right now, I mentioned "no, I am writing a test to get into one". He declared it as non-essential at that time. I was thankfully able to find a seat in Ottawa and drove 4 hours to write it.

My recommendation would be, to find a seat in Canada, avoid last-minute hassle at the border; because apparently it's up to the US border officer on duty on who gets to go through ( this is all pertaining to my own experience from Aug. * please call respective border crossing office * please note situation could have changed)

I was speaking to a "class of 2024" student at waterloo and she mentioned about 150-170 people got invited to their Meet&Greet. I have seen a statistic somewhere that around 300 apply each year.

Last edited:
I was speaking to a "class of 2024" student at waterloo and she mentioned about 150-170 people got invited to their Meet&Greet. I have seen a statistic somewhere that around 300+ apply each year.
last year they got 250 applicants total

Question: does anyone know what waterloo will do with OAT scores if you get the exact same score on your second attempt? I know the site says they take the highest valid score but my AA and TS were exactly :) the :) same :). Some sections were higher than last time and some were lower so idk what they would use...if anyone has any insight I’d appreciate it!

I had difficulty finding an OAT date back in August, so I called border services to get a verbal confirmation if I would be allowed to cross the border into the US to write one. He asked if I was in medical school right now, I mentioned "no, I am writing a test to get into one". He declared it as non-essential at that time. I was thankfully able to find a seat in Ottawa and drove 4 hours to write it.

My recommendation would be, to find a seat in Canada, avoid last-minute hassle at the border; because apparently it's up to the US border officer on duty on who gets to go through ( this is all pertaining to my own experience from Aug. * please call respective border crossing office * please note situation could have changed)
Totally makes sense! Thank you for sharing your experience!

Ontario is going on a province wide lock down. Hopefully the testing centers don't close down :(

Ontario is going on a province wide lock down. Hopefully the testing centers don't close down :(
I dont think they will. if they were going to, I believe we would have been notified by now.

I dont think they will. if they were going to, I believe we would have been notified by now.
Prometric only notified me about a week and a half away from my test date that it was cancelled back in august! But I’ve heard of people who have gotten theirs cancelled the day before.

ohh no. maybe we can call them? was yours cancelled before due to outbreak at the centre or lockdown?

ohh no. maybe we can call them? was yours cancelled before due to outbreak at the centre or lockdown?
Due to lockdown! The first time it was cancelled was in March when COVID just started! Nobody reached out to me but I knew it bad to be cancelled because everything was closing. I reached out to the college that was hosting my exam and asked and they said no exams were happening. But it took prometric like 2 more weeks to email me about my cancellation. They’re not very good at communicating! And then I rebooked in August and they cancelled it randomly 2 weeks out from my test date.

Hi everyone! Hope everyone had a good holiday! I was reading the forum. I've already written the OAT but there was one section I scored just below 300. So I planned to rewrite it again on December 29th. I didn't receive a cancellation email. All I received was a prometric email confirmation for February 1st?? I found an available spot for January 2nd but I doubt that will remain the same due to the lockdown. I guess I just wanted to join in the frustration. But I also wanted to ask if anyone else also received only a confirmation email for a new date but no cancellation email? I found that very weird.

My CASPR snapshot was not the best. I really wish we were told ahead of time that it would be considered our "interview". I would have prepared for it more, but instead I just saw it as another aspect of CASPR. Oh well... whats done is done..

Hi everyone! Hope everyone had a good holiday! I was reading the forum. I've already written the OAT but there was one section I scored just below 300. So I planned to rewrite it again on December 29th. I didn't receive a cancellation email. All I received was a prometric email confirmation for February 1st?? I found an available spot for January 2nd but I doubt that will remain the same due to the lockdown. I guess I just wanted to join in the frustration. But I also wanted to ask if anyone else also received only a confirmation email for a new date but no cancellation email? I found that very weird.
Hi! I also scored just below 300 in one of my sections (290 in physics but scored 340 overall). I didn't bother scheduling another exam because I wrote Nov 30th, so after the 90 days, the test would be past the due date anyway. I'm just hoping this year is an exception because of all the craziness...