Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm looking at charts in First Aid and Clin Micro made ridiculously easy and then making my own to study from with all the nuances he added. I think the biggest issue with studying from the notes is that they are too spread out and you can't easily compare what bug is treated by what drug and what drug covers which bugs on a few pages to look through. Then once you have a good clean chart with side effects and mech of action just study it over and over again. Honestly other than his lectures we haven't had much of anything difficult at all in micro. (So far in this first week out of two for micro).

Yes, make charts for everything in micro and pharm... and study them every/nearly every day because it really is a lot of rote memorization. Good Luck! :)

Members don't see this ad.

agreed... any advice for how to conquer this material would be greatly appreciated, because as it stands now, Nailor's Qs are going to do very bad things to me.

MMRS is good, but i remember not having time to read all of that besides the class notes. Making charts could probably help, just be sure to not make them too complicated!

MMRS is good, but i remember not having time to read all of that besides the class notes. Making charts could probably help, just be sure to not make them too complicated!

each row should have 87 different catagories :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope I didn't miss this information somewhere, but after waiting over a month to hear back from Dr. Jones about an OB/GYN Chair letter, I was informed that I first have to meet with Dr. Page, before I can meet with Dr. Jones.... Starting to feel like this letter will never be done...:mad:
Any 4th years heard if your MSPEs are done yet?

Sorry for the completely unrelated remark - but for any bubble tea addicts like myself - I just found out that there indeed is a place that serves bubble tea in Detroit - although very bad Thai food - though I should probably not comment since I didn't dare try the food. But the bubble tea is quite good! The place is right next to Beans and Bytes on Woodward. :)

I hope you guys don't mind a pre-med in here:)

I was hoping for some advice as i am interviewing at WSU in a few weeks. I really want to work in an under-served city or area (which is why WSU is so high on my list) and just wanted some input as to how to best present myself to the interviewer? Thanks so much!

I hope you guys don't mind a pre-med in here:)

I was hoping for some advice as i am interviewing at WSU in a few weeks. I really want to work in an under-served city or area (which is why WSU is so high on my list) and just wanted some input as to how to best present myself to the interviewer? Thanks so much!

Be yourself... unless yourself is a terrible impersonal jock strap :)

Spend some time thinking about ways you might answer common questions including examples of traits or difficult times/problem you solved, etc.

Lastly, relax -- you'll be just fine! People really are very nice -- You'll be nervous, but pretend you aren't.

Good luck!

Last edited:
hey guys,

can someone suggest the safest/nicest neighborhoods closests to wayne state and the DMC/childrens michigan. I'm doing a rotation and need to start looking for a 1 month sublet (sept 21 - oct 18, in case anyone has an opening).

appreciate it.

hey guys,

can someone suggest the safest/nicest neighborhoods closests to wayne state and the DMC/childrens michigan. I'm doing a rotation and need to start looking for a 1 month sublet (sept 21 - oct 18, in case anyone has an opening).

appreciate it.

Are you going to have a vehicle?

Yes, I'll have a car...

You might contact WSU-SOM student affairs to see if they can assist you in contacting the student body at large to see if there is anyone who would be interest in either subletting or in acquiring a roommate/housemate for a month.

Let me phrase my question better.

north, south, west, or east of the DMC ? Which has the better area, which to avoid?

Let me phrase my question better.

north, south, west, or east of the DMC ? Which has the better area, which to avoid?

Things are too neighborhood dependent in the D to answer a generalized question like that. Personally, I would look for something in a near 'burb rather than in the D proper, especially since you'll only be there for a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
Things are too neighborhood dependent in the D to answer a generalized question like that. Personally, I would look for something in a near 'burb rather than in the D proper, especially since you'll only be there for a month.

What are the names of some of these nearby suburbs?

What are the names of some of these nearby suburbs?

Royal Oak/ Clawson
Ferndale
Huntington Woods
Berkley
Madison Heights-- along I-75
Birmingham
(Above suburbs-- Alot appx 30-45 minutes to get to the hospital door-to-door, parking and the like. Most Med students live in these suburbs. They are all along Woodward Ave, except for Madison Heights.)

Others:
Grosse Pointe (anything w/ Grosse pointe in the name)
Saint Claire Shores

Nice Detroit Neighborhoods include:
Indian Village
Palmer Woods
Jefferson Apartments (Downtown)

Also, around WSU isn't bad, you just may have a hard time knowing what you're getting sight-unseen.

Royal Oak/ Clawson
Ferndale
Huntington Woods
Berkley
Madison Heights-- along I-75
Birmingham
(Above suburbs-- Alot appx 30-45 minutes to get to the hospital door-to-door, parking and the like. Most Med students live in these suburbs. They are all along Woodward Ave, except for Madison Heights.)

Others:
Grosse Pointe (anything w/ Grosse pointe in the name)
Saint Claire Shores

Nice Detroit Neighborhoods include:
Indian Village
Palmer Woods
Jefferson Apartments (Downtown)

Also, around WSU isn't bad, you just may have a hard time knowing what you're getting sight-unseen.

During my time at WSU my drive in from Grosse Pointe Park usually ran more along the lines of 20-30 min (depending on rush hour/accidents/construction/time of day). Since I am assuming that beastmaster is either a MS3/MS4 (based on the way the original question was phrased) then you'll probably not have to deal with rush hour (at least in the AM) so it would be more the shorter end of that time frame.

I-75 north of Detroit has some gnarly construction going on for the next year. I wouldn't want to commute from Royal Oak/Ferndale/etc right now.

The construction starts at 14mile and goes north....the other stuff has been cleared! yay!

The construction starts at 14mile and goes north....the other stuff has been cleared! yay!

Awesome. Yea, check out Royal Oak/Ferndale.

I'm absolutely loving Grosse Pointe but if you're only here for a month you won't get to enjoy all its amenities.

Yeah I haven't enjoyed driving from Rochester for the past month. Still fine as I almost never come in the morning to school. Unfortunately traffic sucks coming home in the afternoon when I'm going past 14 mile on 75.

ERAS status: Certified, Submitted, 3 letters of 4 uploaded

I'm so glad to have that out of the way. Now time to wait for interview invites... *fingers tapping on desk*...

I caught a glimpse of some other people's apps who had like 10 publications and about 50 "experiences"--jeez louise

ERAS status: Certified, Submitted, 3 letters of 4 uploaded

I'm so glad to have that out of the way. Now time to wait for interview invites... *fingers tapping on desk*...

I caught a glimpse of some other people's apps who had like 10 publications and about 50 "experiences"--jeez louise

yeah, no one will read 50 experiences... it may not be true, but that just might reak of of CV padding....

thanks jeeps, soleil, mdrunner, rest of you. I found a place in royal oak for the month.

Just submitted ERAS - I think that I'm more stressed out now than before I submitted.

I had not considered that, Dude.

I felt the same way when i submitted. My family said that I should be relieved, because its out of my hands. But that's what makes me so anxious.

I completely agree... the first 2 days after submitting were so stressful!! I feel better now though (maybe because I've already had interview offers)... but it really is out of our hands now... I guess we just hope for the best!

Congrats on the invites!!

All of my programs have downloaded my app, except for 2. One of those is my #1 choice, so I don't know what thats about..... No invites yet, but its only been a little over 48 business hours since I submitted.

Haha thanks.

I was surprised the invites came in so fast... probably says something about the competitiveness of the programs more than the strength of my application :oops:

Haha thanks.

I was surprised the invites came in so fast... probably says something about the competitiveness of the programs more than the strength of my application :oops:

It really also just depends on field/program's rules. I suppose I don't know how much schools really follow what they post, but most of the EM programs I applied to state on their web site that they don't offer interviews until the entire application is received (including deans letter, which goes out Nov 1). And Dr. Wahl responded via email to our class that the doesn't begin reviewing applications until the mid/end of october. A very big congratulations to you for your invites! (I'm sure that must be a giant relief!) and to the rest of us who are currently inviteless... don't fret!

Last edited:
Boo. My car was wrecked (a bit) this morning. 96 was filled with water and a truck in the left lane spun out and went across into my lane... I tried not to hit him but all I managed was turning a 60mph head on collision into a 30mph or so side/corner collision (way safer). Then he yelled at me for hitting him. WTF? Then as I was calling the police to come so I could get a report he drove off.

Well, my car still runs, but the head light is busted and the engine area and hood are "bent". I was in the market for replacing my car anyway, but I was hoping to get a trade out of it :-( We'll see how it goes now with the insurance company...

Here's a question for all of you 2nd, 3rd and 4th years. Who is the best person for small group clinical medicine? I live close to the school and I would want someone who has their sessions near or in the school. We get to make a mad scramble for locations/md's Thursday morning.

Your opinions and stories are appreciated. Thanks!

Here's a question for all of you 2nd, 3rd and 4th years. Who is the best person for small group clinical medicine? I live close to the school and I would want someone who has their sessions near or in the school. We get to make a mad scramble for locations/md's Thursday morning.

Your opinions and stories are appreciated. Thanks!

Does Dr. Roe still do small groups? He may not since he's the asst dean... but if he is, I had him as my leader and he was fantastic. Clearly he knew what to teach since he helped run the course (like stellini), he was personable, and just fun. Also, he ran groups at Scott Hall which sounds like what you are looking for. I highly reccomend him if available. If he's not available, I would reccommend Stellini as other students I know loved being in his group.

Honestly - get out of Scott Hall whenever possible. Zimmerman at Oakwood was awesome.

BTW - had a place I applied to for residency ask me for my undergrad transcripts, anyone else having this asked of them?

why is it that I always spell recommend wrong? I mean reccommend, er reccomend, frick it. Wreckomend.

thx god u are here i thought i was alone this morning while u were sleeping at 4 am im crazy

I didn't have Dr. Stellini, but he's a great guy. I'd recommend him.

If you want a good grade stay away from course directors (esp. Stellini) -- class was fun, but the average for the group was a 70.

I don't think they are doing number grades for small group anymore. (What I heard). I think the low averages from certain instructors is the reason. I believe it is just pass/fail.

I don't think they are doing number grades for small group anymore. (What I heard). I think the low averages from certain instructors is the reason. I believe it is just pass/fail.

In that case, take whoever. Stellini usually covers one before his, and was ready to be done pretty quickly with his real small group.

:hardy: Yaa! I got my first interview today for Gen.Surg.

Other way cool news. The Dept of Surgery at Wayne has invited me to go to the American College of Surgeons annual conference in San Fransisco...all expenses paid. I fly out on Oct. 11!!!

OK bragging over - I don't get to brag that much so I have to take the opportunity when I can.:D

On an aside - I'm so glad that this month is almost over so I don't have to be q3 until residency again.

yeah, now that I look at the syllabus I see that the course is based on a 300 point scale. 200 are tests and the other 100 is the OSCE.

It lists "satisfactory evaluation from small group instructors: required" but no point value! yay!

:hardy: Yaa! I got my first interview today for Gen.Surg.

Other way cool news. The Dept of Surgery at Wayne has invited me to go to the American College of Surgeons annual conference in San Fransisco...all expenses paid. I fly out on Oct. 11!!!

OK bragging over - I don't get to brag that much so I have to take the opportunity when I can.:D

On an aside - I'm so glad that this month is almost over so I don't have to be q3 until residency again.

Yea! congrats! If I have ovarian torsion, I hope you're on call.

Honestly - get out of Scott Hall whenever possible. Zimmerman at Oakwood was awesome.

BTW - had a place I applied to for residency ask me for my undergrad transcripts, anyone else having this asked of them?

No, I never heard of this. It must be because neurosurg is ultra competitive :eek: I have heard of people in other competitive specialities being asked about MCAT, SAT though (during the interview).

I can't make any recommendations for CCC... I was in one of the groups run by a doc outside of wayne who gave everyone in our group satisfactory... which would have been fine if the avg of the class wasn't outstanding. That satisfactory gave all of us in that group like a 400 zscore:mad: I am just happy to be done with that course....

anyone know the size of class of 2009?

anyone know the size of class of 2009?

You probably should call student affairs and ask since we lost/gained some members who modified or were part of the MD/PhD program or other things.

there are 298 in the face book, which reflects people who have been added, but doesn't show how many have been taken away. I'd estimate there are 260-275 based on that... but yeah, I'd call student affairs if you need a real number

Last edited: