Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That is what I told him as well - just to do the prac q's for all of the epidemiology junk. But to appease his neurotic self I sent out the call. I think it is mostly because that the clin med, phys 1, and biochm 1 are all in the same week. HAHAHA - I told him to wait until 2nd year when you always have 2 or 3 tests, and then it is 2x/mo and not 1x/mo.

i feel bad for them.

Members don't see this ad.

i feel bad for them.

My sadistic side doesn't. Mwa ha ha ha!

No seriously, I remember how unhappy I was in years 1 and 2 -- I totally hated life (for the first time ever).

Don't worry guys! It really gets better -- Promise :)

P.S. Holy 2,752 posts Fun8-man! Addicted much???

Members don't see this ad :)
My sadistic side doesn't. Mwa ha ha ha!

No seriously, I remember how unhappy I was in years 1 and 2 -- I totally hated life (for the first time ever).

Don't worry guys! It really gets better -- Promise :)

I love 2nd year so far. (Though I haven't slept in 2 months due to Pharm, Psych, Path, and Clin med last month in one week and Psych, Pharm, and Path this month in one week.) I'm just unhappy of the looming Step I at the end of the year. Though I know it will be fine and I don't plan on going into an excessively competitive residency. I'm doing much better this year than last year so far, and that bodes well since this is the bread and butter.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I see one of two things in your future - you'll start to hate second year (cause everyone does at some point) or you'll be stressed out by third year. There is something comforting about being told when you had to do something, how to do it and where to do it. There is little of that in third year, and that stressed me out a little - I say it not to freak you out, it's just something that I noticed about myself, and it's something to watch for that's all.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I see one of two things in your future - you'll start to hate second year (cause everyone does at some point) or you'll be stressed out by third year. There is something comforting about being told when you had to do something, how to do it and where to do it. There is little of that in third year, and that stressed me out a little - I say it not to freak you out, it's just something that I noticed about myself, and it's something to watch for that's all.

I understand. I'm taking it one day/one year at a time. I know MIII will be tough. MI and MII are a cakewalk because our only responsibility is to study, stream lectures, show up for labs, and take tests. It's a beautiful thing compared to rotations and residency. I'm enjoying it while I can, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I love 2nd year so far. (Though I haven't slept in 2 months due to Pharm, Psych, Path, and Clin med last month in one week and Psych, Pharm, and Path this month in one week.) I'm just unhappy of the looming Step I at the end of the year. Though I know it will be fine and I don't plan on going into an excessively competitive residency. I'm doing much better this year than last year so far, and that bodes well since this is the bread and butter.

I'm the exact opposite..did relatively well last year but doing much worse (in terms of z-score) this year. I think I need to approach these classes a bit differently but not sure where to make these changes. :confused: help?

I understand. I'm taking it one day/one year at a time. I know MIII will be tough. MI and MII are a cakewalk because our only responsibility is to study, stream lectures, show up for labs, and take tests. It's a beautiful thing compared to rotations and residency. I'm enjoying it while I can, and there's nothing wrong with that.
a good attitude to have

P.S. Holy 2,752 posts Fun8-man! Addicted much???

i am addicted to internet in general... i CAGE +3/4 to internet use!! i think most my posts are from a couple years ago though.

There is something comforting about being told when you had to do something, how to do it and where to do it. There is little of that in third year, and that stressed me out a little - I say it not to freak you out, it's just something that I noticed about myself, and it's something to watch for that's all.

that is probably the worst part about third year... and i think it is because we are so spread out. oh well, you will get by either way. eventually 4th year comes and you can have more control if choose to. as far as step 1 goes, i think if you work hard second year step 1 will not be that bad as long as you put in the time... it's a marathon...

I'm the exact opposite..did relatively well last year but doing much worse (in terms of z-score) this year. I think I need to approach these classes a bit differently but not sure where to make these changes. :confused: help?

do you know how you learn best- reading, listening? perhaps try reading notes once before lecture and once after lecture.... again on weekends if you have time. when listening to lectures, try and pick out what is most important and learn that stuff first. do you feel like you know the material, but do poorly on exams? try doing practice questions. maybe go and see what questions you are missing and why... i think the people i know who made time to do these things had the most improvement. don't get bogged down using too many study materials. i think the notes are sufficient most of the time.

do you know how you learn best- reading, listening? perhaps try reading notes once before lecture and once after lecture.... again on weekends if you have time. when listening to lectures, try and pick out what is most important and learn that stuff first. do you feel like you know the material, but do poorly on exams? try doing practice questions. maybe go and see what questions you are missing and why... i think the people i know who made time to do these things had the most improvement. don't get bogged down using too many study materials. i think the notes are sufficient most of the time.

I agree. Have you been doing these Practice Problems? I think it helps knowing the kinds of things they are going to ask. The way I study is getting half the studying done before actually studying. I stream, but I highlight and write in the margins. That way, I already know what is important and have the main details in the margins. I also read BRS for each subject and the relevant first aid section. Last, the days before the tests I go through the notes once as it is and make sure I have all of the practice questions printed out and everything. Then I take the relevant practice tests. Once I got through it all I do it again but this time I skim and rewrite my notes I make in the margins plus relevant topics that I don't have down cold. I can condense a couple hundred pages into about 3 pages this way and I can go over it the night before in a short amount of time and the morning of the exam.

Though for the last set of pharm, psych, and path exams I wasn't even able to go through the notes once besides the time I was making my summary sheets and I still did fine. I was close to honors in pathbio but I didn't spend enough time on the genetics/metabolism garbage. Psych was crappy but studying more probably wouldn't have helped much but either way I was above average. Pharm I did pretty well on too though it seemed you could reason out a lot of the answers if you spent any time at all associating a drug name with what it does.

Of course, all of this may be irrelevant now that we are in organ-based pathophys. You should probably be going over the notes at least twice in this case and doing practice problems for sure. Unfortunately we have a tome for respiratory this unit but it should be fine.

I agree. Have you been doing these Practice Problems? I think it helps knowing the kinds of things they are going to ask. The way I study is getting half the studying done before actually studying. I stream, but I highlight and write in the margins. That way, I already know what is important and have the main details in the margins. I also read BRS for each subject and the relevant first aid section. Last, the days before the tests I go through the notes once as it is and make sure I have all of the practice questions printed out and everything. Then I take the relevant practice tests. Once I got through it all I do it again but this time I skim and rewrite my notes I make in the margins plus relevant topics that I don't have down cold. I can condense a couple hundred pages into about 3 pages this way and I can go over it the night before in a short amount of time and the morning of the exam.

Though for the last set of pharm, psych, and path exams I wasn't even able to go through the notes once besides the time I was making my summary sheets and I still did fine. I was close to honors in pathbio but I didn't spend enough time on the genetics/metabolism garbage. Psych was crappy but studying more probably wouldn't have helped much but either way I was above average. Pharm I did pretty well on too though it seemed you could reason out a lot of the answers if you spent any time at all associating a drug name with what it does.

Of course, all of this may be irrelevant now that we are in organ-based pathophys. You should probably be going over the notes at least twice in this case and doing practice problems for sure. Unfortunately we have a tome for respiratory this unit but it should be fine.

my study method (or what have you) runs pretty similar to this. It seems like M1 material is more detail oriented while M2 is more "bigger picture" (although there definitely are details sprinkled in between) that I'm having a problem with. or maybe it's the sheer amount of material? I get caught up in the littlest of details (ie for pathbio especially Bosch) during 1st pass of the material. I know that multiiple passes are the best but sometimes, that is nearly impossible (the first pharm exam). Just for comparison, my typical z-score went from around 550 last year to 450 (give or take a few) this year. Am I making a bigger deal than necessary? It just seems like a huge drop, which worries me.

Members don't see this ad :)
my study method (or what have you) runs pretty similar to this. It seems like M1 material is more detail oriented while M2 is more "bigger picture" (although there definitely are details sprinkled in between) that I'm having a problem with. or maybe it's the sheer amount of material? I get caught up in the littlest of details (ie for pathbio especially Bosch) during 1st pass of the material. I know that multiiple passes are the best but sometimes, that is nearly impossible (the first pharm exam). Just for comparison, my typical z-score went from around 550 last year to 450 (give or take a few) this year. Am I making a bigger deal than necessary? It just seems like a huge drop, which worries me.

It's not a huge drop at all in terms of points. Of course we are all competing for ranks, but the point difference is very small. I wouldn't say at all that you are having a problem with studying. I'd say that it is probably a lack of time as we all have to suffer with. Make sure you also do the practice questions.

Converting your standardized score to percentile. This site is amazing as you can compare your T-Score (yes we don't use Z-Scores) to percentile.

OK - so I have spent some free nights in hotels on the trail...but this by far takes the cake. I have a king size sleep number bed w/ an inroom jacuzzi :eek:, a big one fully capable of holding a couple of people comfortably...all I have to say is wow, and right now I am going to go soak in some bubbles. :D

Yeah, the hotels can vary. My first freebiee was nice, big room, big bed, nice jacuzzi, etc. I kinda felt bad as I didn't use the jacuzzi and one of the other interviewee's didn't have one, but oh well. My last place the hotel looked more like a converted motel, initially the room had a little bit of an odor to it (or maybe I got used to it??), and I was on a hallway leading to a restaurant, so it was noisy. But, still free, so can't really b*tch about it.

Wow I passed CS!!!

I can now officially: 1) Gather a hx; 2) Write a SOAP note; 3) Speak English ....

I am so glad that they helped me to figure out these very important items, I was just about to give up on medicine. *snort of derision*

Wow I passed CS!!!

I can now officially: 1) Gather a hx; 2) Write a SOAP note; 3) Speak English ....

I am so glad that they helped me to figure out these very important items, I was just about to give up on medicine. *snort of derision*

Congrats!

I have mine next friday... hope I do the same :)

ugh... i still have CK, CS, sub-I, EM, and ambulatory to go.... good luck to you!

Yucky poo poo! Why did you stick it all at the end???

I guess you are doing that specialty which has nothing to do with any of them, that's why. But that sucks man :-( Hope you have something fun planned for you month(s) off!

Congrats!

I have mine next friday... hope I do the same :)

CS is the biggest waste of $1000 ever. Our 3rd year OSCE was more difficult than this thing. Seriously.

EM in michigan... haha yeah, that is incredibly specific... let me look at last years matchlist for EM males in michigan, haha...

edit: so that was not helpful... narrowed it down to 10 or 11 people... oh wait, but "new place in michigan", so that will count out a few of the people who stayed in detroit area... so perhaps you are in kzoo or lansing?

I'll narrow it down for you... it's a MSU affiliated program.

Oh, wait you already had that much on your own.:rolleyes:

Yucky poo poo! Why did you stick it all at the end???

I guess you are doing that specialty which has nothing to do with any of them, that's why. But that sucks man :-( Hope you have something fun planned for you month(s) off!

well, i had planned to be done by february since i did co-curricular... but i did not get EM or ambulatory for the month I wanted them and had to stick them in april and may, unfortunately. I also had to take September off due to sick family member, which putt off... further procrastinated my board study... but in general, i am a really just a bad procrastinator

I'll narrow it down for you... it's a MSU affiliated program.

Oh, wait you already had that much on your own.:rolleyes:

i interviewed at the kzoo TY... really nice hospital system. if they offered what i am applying for i wouldn't mind living there...

The snowstorm we got today shut down Wayne State.... And both of our final exams were canceled today. While That might sound appealing, they now have to reschedule them throughout January. What a nightmare to have to re-study for these exams while trying to stay up to date with the new material!

Boo snow! Booooo!

I was thinking about you guys. That sucks. Second unit of biochem is the worst already. I can't imagine it with two more tests. First phys test is pretty tough too. Make sure you keep up on the stuff.

The snowstorm we got today shut down Wayne State.... And both of our final exams were canceled today. While That might sound appealing, they now have to reschedule them throughout January. What a nightmare to have to re-study for these exams while trying to stay up to date with the new material!

Boo snow! Booooo!

Ugh! I would have rather come in on Saturday if I were you guys :-( That's really terrible. I guess I thought they would come up with a better plan since the storm had ample warning. This plan sucks the big one!

Well, good luck guys!

Ugh! I would have rather come in on Saturday if I were you guys :-( That's really terrible. I guess I thought they would come up with a better plan since the storm had ample warning. This plan sucks the big one!

Well, good luck guys!

bend over and grab your ankles... you are about to be wayne'd!

So... I am a MS0 who just recently got an acceptance at Wayne State. Seeing as it is the only school ive been accepted to, I will be attending (as of now). I just had a few questions about the school though, after reading through this thread and a few other WSU threads. I saw a few posts about the increasing tension between DMC and Wayne.. is there any more news on this and is it going to affect us future students by a lot.. and how??

Also, I saw that Wayne is forcing MS3s to choose only one hospital to do thier rotations at. I was wondering if this is 100% true, and if so, is there any chance it might change (like if the wayne and DMC situation gets better). I would really like to get the experience some of you older students had in choosing different hospitals for different rotations, and getting a better idea of the various types of hospitals.

And if theres anything else you guys might have to say about Wayne, please do!

Thanks

So... I am a MS0 who just recently got an acceptance at Wayne State. Seeing as it is the only school ive been accepted to, I will be attending (as of now). I just had a few questions about the school though, after reading through this thread and a few other WSU threads. I saw a few posts about the increasing tension between DMC and Wayne.. is there any more news on this and is it going to affect us future students by a lot.. and how??

Also, I saw that Wayne is forcing MS3s to choose only one hospital to do thier rotations at. I was wondering if this is 100% true, and if so, is there any chance it might change (like if the wayne and DMC situation gets better). I would really like to get the experience some of you older students had in choosing different hospitals for different rotations, and getting a better idea of the various types of hospitals.

Thanks

As of now, the one hospital business is a pilot program.

There was a discussion earlier in this thread, but the gist(sp?) of it was that we all pretty much agreed that we enjoyed being able to experience different hospital systems and it was one of the big reasons we wanted to come to Wayne. However, if you had the chance to be at a hospital like Henry Ford, then it might be a great experience to do all of your rotations at one hospital (but I still would rather go to many).

I can only speak for myself, but I am very happy still that I chose wayne. I think the school gave me the tools I could use along with hard work to make myself a well prepared fourth year (as much as one can be?) and I would make the same decision again if I had to. At wayne, I gained a lot of valuable experience on rotations, did well on my boards and have more than enough interviews in my chosen field (Emergency med), including some competitive programs (note: competitive does not equal better!).

It's hard to comment on the Wayne DMC thing because I don't think I really know where that stands right now. I can say that I have had no trouble getting rotations at the DMC when I wanted them and that the teaching is top notch. I am also applying there for residency and would be more than happy to be matched at the DMC. However, I can certainly understand how this would be a big negative for an applicant.

I think if you look at variables like location, cost of tuition (wayne is very pricey), etc and combine that with your gut feeling, you can't go wrong. I think it's about finding a good fit for you and only you can answer that question -- you'll use basically the same books everywhere so go where you think you will be happy and where you feel confident in the education.

Good luck! :luck:

Thanks

Yeah, WSU is kind of like a roller coaster ride. There are ups and downs. If you work hard, you will get a good education. The best thing about the first 2 years is that all lectures are streamed, they give you the notes typed out in a course pack, and the material will prepare you for the boards. The best thing about 3rd year is that you can see a range of hospitals, a variety of pathology, and you can do a lot if you choose. You will get whatever you put into it.

Being based at a hospital will have it's pros and cons. Try to get Henry Ford, Beaumont, or Oakwood. You will get a good education at any of these. Don't worry about the DMC/WSU conflict. It is basically a disagreement over money. It comes up every few years, but is always resolved. If you are based at one of the three hospitals above, it shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks

The one-hospital business (aka "Clinical Campus model") is being fully implemented next year as far as I know. Before the current MS2s choose their 3rd year clerkships, all of the education directors from the various hospitals will be doing a 5-minute talk trying to recruit students to do their 3rd year at their hospital.

This is only for the third year so you still have 4th year to sample other hospitals. If they keep the third year elective, you would still have that to do try at a different hospital too, although I don't know if they've implemented doing away with the third year elective yet (because they wanted to lengthen the OP/Family experience).

The WSU-DMC issue doesn't really affect medical students. Certain residencies may be slightly impacted in the future if the two sides continue down the road of sole-sponsorship as their current agreement allows. For example, ophtho and neuro were the first two targeted by each side last I heard.

I think the acronym that we have all learned as med students applies here - BOHICA

Aah, yes. BOHICA. I have had many a BOHICA moment in my day. :diebanana:

Last edited:
So does any one know anything about commencement? I had multiple family members ask me about it, and a ton of people want to come, which I hadn't expected, or even thought about. Any alums out there that can explain what all is involves? I saw that there are 2 ceremonies-- Baccalaureate and the Commencement. What's the difference? Which is best for my out of town relatives to attend? Who "hoods" us?

Thanks!!

So does any one know anything about commencement? I had multiple family members ask me about it, and a ton of people want to come, which I hadn't expected, or even thought about. Any alums out there that can explain what all is involves? I saw that there are 2 ceremonies-- Baccalaureate and the Commencement. What's the difference? Which is best for my out of town relatives to attend? Who "hoods" us?

Thanks!!

As you know by now (well trained WSU mushroom that you are) you won't find out those details for a while.

Traditionally commencement is the first Tuesday of June with Bacc on the preceding weekend (I think usually Sunday)
The way it worked last year was that there were a limited # of tickets for each graduate for Commencement (IIRC ?6 - 10?) and the only way that you can bring more people than that to Commencement is to get additional tickets off classmates.
Baccalaureate was substantially less "formal" and you could bring as many people as you wanted. And I believe is planned by you class.
As for who "hoods" you, last year we could pick any two (and only two) people that we wanted - most people picked family (parents, spouses, etc).

For younger family members bacc is probably better. For large groups of family bacc is better.

Best of out of town family, up to you...

Any Wayne students here? Are you involved with any research?

Last edited:
Hey all,

I am going to be in Detroit Sunday and Monday night, I've never been there so I was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions on things to do, places to see, places to eat etc. I'd really like to get as best a feel as I can in two days.
Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Thank you all in advance, I'm excited to see this city and school.

Hello all:

I am posting this because we are going to have a house for rent starting in June/July as my current 4th year renters are moving away for residency.

Home is 2 bed, 1 bath (approx 1100 sq ft). Large living room with vaulted ceiling. Kitchen with ample cupboard/counter space and room for a table and chairs. Front porch is completely enclosed with large windows for 3 season seating. Large closets in both bedrooms. Ceiling fans in bedrooms and in living room. Attic space available for storage. Home is built on crawl-space. Home was completely renovated less than 10 years ago.

Neighborhood is quiet and safe. Located blocks away from I-94 and 696. 15-20 min to Royal Oak and Downtown Detroit.

Perks include large fenced-in yard, we accept pets. Major appliances included: Washer, dryer, fridge, stove/oven, dishwasher, sink-based garbage disposal. Basic yard maintenance is negotiable - home has it's own shed with lawnmowers/weed wackers etc.

House is perfect for a couple/single/roomies. Rent is affordable and negotiable. Renters are responsible for utilities costs.

Please contact me with any other questions you may have. I can also send pictures, provide you with the names of my current renters as reference and set up viewing if you are interested.

Please contact me by pm as I don't really feel like placing my phone number out here on this site.

Thank you for your patience and interest.

Jenn

Hey all,

I am going to be in Detroit Sunday and Monday night, I've never been there so I was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions on things to do, places to see, places to eat etc. I'd really like to get as best a feel as I can in two days.
Feel free to PM me if you wish.

Thank you all in advance, I'm excited to see this city and school.

I know the Science Center has an exhibit on Leonardo da Vinci which is supposed to be pretty good. DIA if you are into Art they have Money and Dali as their special exhibit.

There are also bars everywhere if you are into that kind of thing. The weather is supposed to be pretty dismal on Sunday so I'm not sure you would be able to see much.

You can just drive around the city and see the waterfront or the casinos/Greektown. Do a search on google maps if you want to find a lot of the different restaurants in the area.

I think the acronym that we have all learned as med students applies here - BOHICA

And unfortunately the BOHICA moments don't end with graduation...

sorry, know that you didn't want to hear that.

I have a question for those of you in M3-4. Are any of you using the iPhone during rotations? Are there any apps that aren't available for the iPhone that are required at Wayne rotations? My Sprint contract ends in may and the next iPhone should be out in June or July. I just want to confirm that there are no hinderances or requirements for PDA software. (I know we got a little sheet at M1 registration saying minimum requirements (that were actually flipped around) but that didn't say much).

And unfortunately the BOHICA moments don't end with graduation...

sorry, know that you didn't want to hear that.
I've been around wayne long enough to expect that they will probably reach into my grave to provide me with BOHICA moments :(

I have a question for those of you in M3-4. Are any of you using the iPhone during rotations? Are there any apps that aren't available for the iPhone that are required at Wayne rotations? My Sprint contract ends in may and the next iPhone should be out in June or July. I just want to confirm that there are no hinderances or requirements for PDA software. (I know we got a little sheet at M1 registration saying minimum requirements (that were actually flipped around) but that didn't say much).

yeah, go with the iphone. I got an iphone a little while back and it works MUCH better than that old crappy PDA. Apps load and run much faster and more smoothly on the iphone. You can get skyscape (archimedes, OCM, RxDrugs), epocrates, and a bunch more med calculators for free.... snellen eye chart, translator, pocket wikipedia are nice too. The other thing I like compared to other touch screen phones is that the iphone also has wifi, so even if you are in the basement of the hospital and don't have 3G or edge signal, you can still connect to the internet. About the min requirements, ignore them. I don't really know if it meets them or not, but I can tell you it works much better and is more practical than the PDAs.

Last edited:
yeah, go with the iphone. I got an iphone a little while back and it works MUCH better than that old crappy PDA. Apps load and run much faster and more smoothly on the iphone. You can get skyscape (archimedes, OCM, RxDrugs), epocrates, and a bunch more med calculators for free.... snellen eye chart, translator, pocket wikipedia are nice too. The other thing I like compared to other touch screen phones is that the iphone also has wifi, so even if you are in the basement of the hospital and don't have 3G or edge signal, you can still connect to the internet. About the min requirements, ignore them. I don't really know if it meets them or not, but I can tell you it works much better and is more practical than the PDAs.

Thanks for the input. I was just making sure there was no proprietary software the school required us to have for some odd reason. Are we still logging cases on PDAs through campusmobility? Is the iPhone able to do this? The iPhone is a pretty powerful smartphone so I assume it makes the requirements based on hardware.

Thanks for the input. I was just making sure there was no proprietary software the school required us to have for some odd reason. Are we still logging cases on PDAs through campusmobility? Is the iPhone able to do this? The iPhone is a pretty powerful smartphone so I assume it makes the requirements based on hardware.

I don't think there is any special software required by the school. You can log your cases using a PC (and could probably do so via the iPhone browser, but a PC would be faster and easier). I don't really recall any required uses of PDAs that actually stuck.... imho, the iphone is what a PDA was always meant to be....