Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, I was waitlisted at Wayne this last admission cycle and really, really, really want to turn that into an acceptance ASAP :xf:

Do you guys have any first hand knowledge about being waitlisted this late? Do most people that are waitlisted get in eventually? Also, did anybody send in a letter of intent highlighting why you want to go there and why you are a good fit for the program? I think it seems a little desperate but get the sense that they are kind of looking for that.

I would love any help you guys can give me.

Hope to see you next year!

"this late":confused::confused:
Did something change about the application process since I made my escape from WSU-SOM? Because this sure isn't late in the process, as I remember it. Shot my INTERVIEW at WSU wasn't until late March and then dealing with the waitlist after that.
Can't say that I miss those times.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks guys. I will write a letter of intent asap.

Who should we address our Letter of Intent to? And do you think it would be best to email or mail it in?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
And when you hit residency you get to trade those course packs in for a nice thick text (or three) on your specialty.
At times I really wish that I were still an MS4... and then I come to my senses and realize I like having $ coming in and getting closer to making my loans go away.
MS4 was a really nice vacation for me.... until Sub-I this month, anyway.

By the way - I am not sure whether any of the second years here are going to Dr. Bosch's review. I didn't go to the past three - and went today - I would most def. recommend it. And if for some reason you can't go - try to pick up the review sheets she hands out - they are quite relevant for the Step 1 and she has a number of really good case studies prepared each time.

I definitely agree, I've been going to the reviews and they are amazing! She is by far the best professor we've had so far and puts a LOT of effort into preparing the review packs... Highly recommend them to those not already attending.

Also, she's flexible to topics, so if there's anything you want to go over, just email her (For those of you interested... so far we've done resp infxn, nutrition, and heme)...

Thanks guys. I will write a letter of intent asap.

I wrote a letter of intent for a different school... and I think I addressed it either as "To the members of the admission committee:" or "To whom it may concern:" (Note: You're only supposed to send a letter of intent to ONE school, as it's kind of like a verbal contract saying that if they offer you a spot you'll take it)

It might be a little late for you to send a thank you note to your interviewer if you haven't already... but if you haven't, I would. Be sure to mention how grateful you were for the opportunity to interview with them and for them giving up time in their busy schedule... But DEFINITELY mention how much you liked Wayne and were impressed by ___ and ____.

As for the person who mentioned being "late" in the process, you're not... They're interviewing through the end of March. As for the movement on the waitlist... it really varies per year, but typically it does move and people get accepted. The letter of intent might help you get off the waitlist.

But again, each year is very different... my year I don't think it moved at all (they actually have to ask people to defer), but I think they're tending to be a little more cautious since then.... So it should move.

@iheartmed - I am actually very experienced with the wait-list. I do recommend the letter of intent, though the years I used them they did not help, but those years also had little to no wait-list movement. But using the letter can only help, not hurt.

Being on the wait-list is hard, but the one thing I have learned is keep trying. The wait-list means that they like you, so do not get discouraged.

Also, this year is the year I made sure I wrote a thank you note the morning after I interviewed. I sent a hand-written card and because I didn't know if I would get offered in January or not, an email thank you note.

About.com has some very good examples and starters for thank you notes.
http://jobsearch.about.com/od/thankyouletters/a/samplethankyou.htm

However, I heard that last years wait-list had good movement, so here is hoping we can be together in class. :luck:

I have a question for upper classmates related to the boards and the way our exam are written. I am in second year and you all know that the hot topic is step1 and everybody agree more or less that first aid is the bible and those online q banks and nbme's are sort of a reflection of step1. Before each exam I do maybe a couple ore more of 48 q block on q banks or USMLErx or such as and I read thoroughly first aid. But in that exam room at wayne state, I could barely pull a couple of questions out of those resources and the question are archaic, and would never show up in any board whether it is the one my grand father would have taken back in 1958. In last week neuro the only thing I could trace to first aid was about two or three questions. Sometimes I get very frustrated to be asked in an exam the role of bursa in chicken instead of a true board style vignette.It appear to me that whatever they are testing on has no reflexion, not at all on board stuffs and thay don't really care. All what we have at the end is four weeks to redo everything all over again.And at the end of the year they say they are giving a mandatory general science board prep exam.What type of question should expect? What do you guys think and how did you upperclassmen have to deal with that?

I have a question for upper classmates related to the boards and the way our exam are written. I am in second year and you all know that the hot topic is step1 and everybody agree more or less that first aid is the bible and those online q banks and nbme's are sort of a reflection of step1. Before each exam I do maybe a couple ore more of 48 q block on q banks or USMLErx or such as and I read thoroughly first aid. But in that exam room at wayne state, I could barely pull a couple of questions out of those resources and the question are archaic, and would never show up in any board whether it is the one my grand father would have taken back in 1958. In last week neuro the only thing I could trace to first aid was about two or three questions. Sometimes I get very frustrated to be asked in an exam the role of bursa in chicken instead of a true board style vignette.It appear to me that whatever they are testing on has no reflexion, not at all on board stuffs and thay don't really care. All what we have at the end is four weeks to redo everything all over again.And at the end of the year they say they are giving a mandatory general science board prep exam.What type of question should expect? What do you guys think and how did you upperclassmen have to deal with that?

Hmm... we definitely didn't have any madatory general science board prep exam; there was just the optional but recommended kaplan diagnostic exam (which I boycotted).

I certainly understand how you feel, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things to prepare yourself for step1. It would be wonderful if the Wayne exams reflected more board style questions and hopefully they will get on that someday. Regardless of the discrepancy, I was well prepared for Step 1 though I'm not sure how much was from year 1/2 or the 6 weeks. I suppose what I'm trying to say is just keep doing what you're doing and you will do great. And when you get the opportunity, express what you feel about the Wayne exam style to the admin (as students have been for years) -- just do it respectfully.

Best of luck to you:luck: Remember that you are very smart and that's why you are where you are -- you will get through Step 1 and then laugh about how much you freaked out :luck:

Hmm... we definitely didn't have any madatory general science board prep exam; there was just the optional but recommended kaplan diagnostic exam (which I boycotted).

I certainly understand how you feel, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things to prepare yourself for step1. It would be wonderful if the Wayne exams reflected more board style questions and hopefully they will get on that someday. Regardless of the discrepancy, I was well prepared for Step 1 though I'm not sure how much was from year 1/2 or the 6 weeks. I suppose what I'm trying to say is just keep doing what you're doing and you will do great. And when you get the opportunity, express what you feel about the Wayne exam style to the admin (as students have been for years) -- just do it respectfully.

Best of luck to you:luck: Remember that you are very smart and that's why you are where you are -- you will get through Step 1 and then laugh about how much you freaked out :luck:

Thanks a lot tybalt for your advices

One thing Tybalt left out... welcome to SDN.

And this is one of the eternal WSU-SOM complaints.
For the remainder of this year (as was the case for you last year), your course packets are the most important thing. First Aid and other resources are an excellent supplement, but that is all they are right now.
That all changes during your month of prep for step 1, course packets will take back seat and the other resources will rule.
For now focus on the course packets and supplement with board resources as you have time (call it getting a jump on your study month).

Also, no recollection of any "mandatory general science board prep exam". However, the only constant at WSU is change and perhaps this is something new that they decided to add this year... might want to check with your class counselor on that point.

I agree with the above. The questions may be a different format and at times cover esoterica, but the people who study hard and learn that stuff each year, do well on Step 1. It could be because that these people are good test takers, but I think it is also because it does help prepare you. Your study method sounds good, so as long as you are doing well on the section exams, be confident in your method. I believe the end of the year exam was new last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
same here! so happy right now.

cool, should be a good year... what all were the options? beaumont, dmc, HF, oakwood, providence, sinai grace, ...??? how many students are at each hospital?

cool, should be a good year... what all were the options? beaumont, dmc, HF, oakwood, providence, sinai grace, ...??? how many students are at each hospital?

Did they institute the "clinical campus" BS across the board for next year?

Did they institute the "clinical campus" BS across the board for next year?

Yeah... 60 at Henry Ford, 97 at DMC, 24 at Beaumont.... I don't know about the other hospitals... but I think it's like 24-36 at the other hospitals.

As an entering freshman, I know I am a long way off, but what do you see as the strengths of each hospital?

I know when I was on tour I was told by the second year that people want Beaumont, Ford or DMC. But why?

If you are interested in general practice is it better to take one hospital over another?

What about various specialties?

As an entering freshman, I know I am a long way off, but what do you see as the strengths of each hospital?

I know when I was on tour I was told by the second year that people want Beaumont, Ford or DMC. But why?

If you are interested in general practice is it better to take one hospital over another?

What about various specialties?

In my opinion, it's because the residencies at each listed hospital are, in general, fairly strong and the teaching is more universally strong than if you were at another hospital which is more likely to be hit or miss. Plus, Beaumont is pretty and gives you lot's of free food... which of course people like. :) I genuinely feel sorry for those stuck solely at the VA or at Oakwood. I think those at St. John will be fine.

I'm not sure about the last question; my inclination would be to say the same hospitals will still provide you with better over all experiences which will help you immensely, but I may be wrong and someone else entering primary care might be better able to answer it.

Good luck next year!

MATCH DAY IN 8 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

Aw, Tybalt. You're talking trash about my beloved Oakwood?

Sure, you're not going to get the real surgery experience, and will be kicked out of every delivery if you're male, but medicine & the sub-specialties are actually pretty strong.

Good luck on match day, dear. :)

Aw, Tybalt. You're talking trash about my beloved Oakwood?

Sure, you're not going to get the real surgery experience, and will be kicked out of every delivery if you're male, but medicine & the sub-specialties are actually pretty strong.

Good luck on match day, dear. :)

My sub-I sucked. My senior wouldn't let me have more than 2 patients at a time and cherry-picked the easiest patients to make his life easier. Plus he made some pretty freshman mistakes with patient care. But I have heard that many other people's experiences were better than mine, so hopefully that's more typical... :)

To those of you in M4 I have a question. I'm getting married a year from this summer after M3 and I have a question on vacation time in M4. I know that we should be taking time off sometime between November-January for interviews and HuMed grants me at least one month. Do most just take a month between November-January? Which month? My fiancée is bugging me to pick a date for the wedding during that July but I'm just wondering when M4 orientation would be and scheduling issues in general for the year. I know that our OSCEs finish June 20th for M3. I do know that every clerkship starts on the 1st of a month and the year starts July 1st. (Any M4 orientation before that?) I know that we have to finish everything by May 1st to graduate so that leaves July to April.

That's 10 months and we have 8 months of clerkships with 3 being required and 5 being electives. Obviously HuMed counts for one of those electives but that I can choose to do something extra if I want (unlikely). So I have 7 clerkships for M4 as long as I do one elective as recommended in M3. If I take off July, October (Step 2 maybe), and December that leaves August, September, November, January, February, March, and April. Should I not bother with taking off October and take a different month off near the end?

I have another question about Step 2. When is the recommended time to take it? September-early November? How common is it to take a month off to study and take the exams at the end of the month? I assume most students not doing co-curricular only take two months out of the possible 10 and one of them are November-January for interviews leaving one other month to choose from probably being April.

To those of you in M4 I have a question. I'm getting married a year from this summer after M3 and I have a question on vacation time in M4. I know that we should be taking time off sometime between November-January for interviews and HuMed grants me at least one month. Do most just take a month between November-January? Which month? My fiancée is bugging me to pick a date for the wedding during that July but I'm just wondering when M4 orientation would be and scheduling issues in general for the year. I know that our OSCEs finish June 20th for M3. I do know that every clerkship starts on the 1st of a month and the year starts July 1st. (Any M4 orientation before that?) I know that we have to finish everything by May 1st to graduate so that leaves July to April.

That's 10 months and we have 8 months of clerkships with 3 being required and 5 being electives. Obviously HuMed counts for one of those electives but that I can choose to do something extra if I want (unlikely). So I have 7 clerkships for M4 as long as I do one elective as recommended in M3. If I take off July, October (Step 2 maybe), and December that leaves August, September, November, January, February, March, and April. Should I not bother with taking off October and take a different month off near the end?

I have another question about Step 2. When is the recommended time to take it? September-early November? How common is it to take a month off to study and take the exams at the end of the month? I assume most students not doing co-curricular only take two months out of the possible 10 and one of them are November-January for interviews leaving one other month to choose from probably being April.
Wow! That's a pretty fired up message for 3 in the morning, the old ball and chain must really be in your ear :). Anywho - here is a fourth year rundown -

There are 11 months in fourth year (July - May). You should have everything done by June 1, not May 1. In those 11 months you have 3 required months and 5 electives. So you normally get 3 months off for interviews and step 2. The co-curricular thing makes in 3 required months and 4 electives, with 4 months off.

Now, people handle this in many different ways.

- Some people do take a month off to study for step 2 CK, some just try to schedule an easy month while they will be studying for step 2 CK.

- Step 2 CK is much easier than step 1, so in general people study less (I did USMLE world questions for 2 weeks while on the interview trail, took the test and did as well on it as I did on step 1).

- Whether you decide to take a month off or not depends on how well you want to do on it - which depends on which specialty you choose and how well you do on step 1.

- If you are happy with your Step 1, then your step 2 CK score becomes less important, if you're not happy with the step 1 score, then you might be more inclined to take a month off to study for step 2 CK.

- Some fields want to see your step 2 CK score, some don't - if you're in a field that wants to see a score then you'll need to take it early - like July, August or September. If you're in a field that doesn't care about Step 2 CK, then you just need to take it by mid-December.

- As far as months off for interviews, there are many different theories on this. Some people go through interviews and Step 2 CK without any time off - so then they are done at the end of Febuary (March, April, May off) or January with co-curricular (feb, mar, apr, may off). So they probably schedule easy months like Rads, Anesth, etc in the peak of interview season and while studying for Step 2 CK. You get 5 days off from an elective month for interviews and 2 days off from a required month. In reality though most elective people know what fourth year is all about and will cut you some significant slack re: the 5 days off.

- With 4 months available you could take a month off for Step 2 CK in July, a month off at the peak of your interview season (depends on the specialty) and then April and May off - for example.

- DO NOT SCHEDULE time off or anything for Step 2 CS - just show up and take it, no need to prepare a ton. You just have to take this by May, I think.

- There is no fourth year orientation, you start July 1, that's it.

My sub-I sucked. My senior wouldn't let me have more than 2 patients at a time and cherry-picked the easiest patients to make his life easier. Plus he made some pretty freshman mistakes with patient care. But I have heard that many other people's experiences were better than mine, so hopefully that's more typical... :)

OMG i was at oakwood and i had 5 patients the whole month. i don't know why they did this to me... probably because i like radiology :( The whole experience actually made me wish I applied to path so i wouldn't have to do a TY!

Thanks for the input. What's your recommended month for 2CK? I know the earlier the better for competitive specialties and if you did poorly on Step I they recommend by the end of September.

Thanks for the input. What's your recommended month for 2CK? I know the earlier the better for competitive specialties and if you did poorly on Step I they recommend by the end of September.
I think that most specialties want to see step 2 CK scores, so I think a good time to take it is in July - you've just finished the third year, so it's all fresh in your head. If you do end up in one of those specialties that doesn't care, then take it the last possible second in December.

OMG i was at oakwood and i had 5 patients the whole month. i don't know why they did this to me... probably because i like radiology :( The whole experience actually made me wish I applied to path so i wouldn't have to do a TY!

I think this might be because I complained a lot about how my sub-I went... but then another student told me that she was also only allowed to have 2 patients at a time and had her sub-I after me... who knows :)

I think this might be because I complained a lot about how my sub-I went... but then another student told me that she was also only allowed to have 2 patients at a time and had her sub-I after me... who knows :)

oh yeah, i was the only student that was chosen to be in that position. i was on a short-handed team with only 1 intern. At the beginning of the month they did tell us that there were new rules... such has no weekends off, having to have at least 2 patients with a cap of 5, staying until 9 while on call, doing signouts, etc.... that could have been because of you. However, they rules really weren't 100% followed except for my team.

i doubt you are doing radiology, but if you are then then you do not need to take it early if you have above a certain step 1 score. They weigh step 1 much more highly than step 2. i took ck at the end of January (against school policy, btw), and i was only asked about it by 1 transitional year program. However, I actually ended doing better on Step 2ck, so it may not be a bad idea to just get it over with since I think almost everyone does better on it (the avg for CK is 10 points higher than avg for step 1). i would recommend talking to an advisor in your field about this. The counselors in student affairs will tell you to take it early no matter how high/low/which speciality you are applying to. The advisor in your field will be able to give you the best answer... if you are going to take it early to get it out of the way, then I would probably take it in July, August, September, middle of October. July is probably the best time because it is before you have to start working on ERAS (submit Sept 1) and interviewing (starting mid Oct-Jan, depending on speciality). Oh yeah, it really sucked to try and study for CK while traveling to and from interviews. It was much harder than I thought it would be....

Last edited:
I don't think I'm doing radiology. In fact, I'll probably end up doing IM so I'm not really worrying about the time. However, since I'll be getting married around July 10th I'll probably end up doing CK in mid-September to mid-October.

I don't think I'm doing radiology. In fact, I'll probably end up doing IM so I'm not really worrying about the time. However, since I'll be getting married around July 10th I'll probably end up doing CK in mid-September to mid-October.

Cool. I don't know how true this is, but I have heard third hand that you do need Step 2CK for IM before interviews. I would definitely sit down with an IM advisor like Levine or someone who interviews IM candidates and say "my score is W, i hope to do residency at X,Y,Z type of program, do you recommend I taking Step 2ck before interviews?"

Cool. I don't know how true this is, but I have heard third hand that you do need Step 2CK for IM before interviews. I would definitely sit down with an IM advisor like Levine or someone who interviews IM candidates and say "my score is W, i hope to do residency at X,Y,Z type of program, do you recommend I taking Step 2ck before interviews?"

Solid advice.

For EM I was told (while it may not be true) that while they don't require it, they don't look fondly upon those who put it off because it looks like they are afraid to take it and that many programs won't rank you if you don't have a step 2... but then, I don't know if that's really true or not.

Good luck to all you 4th years... You can (hopefully) finally take a breath and begin to celebrate.

What's the turnaround time for grading the exam?

I took my exam at the end of September and I somehow got my score only 2 weeks later... which was a nice relief, but I wasn't expecting it for 6 weeks (which may be more typical).

I did my CS in the middle of December and had a score, I believe, in the beginning of Feb. I wish I had taken this earlier, like maybe at the end of June right after the 3rd year osce, or at least no later than August. I didn't really believe that if you pass the 3rd year OSCE and you read through the First Aid (really only once), then you will be fine.

2 hours and 45 minutes until the Match Madness email... :luck:

Match Results: Triumphant! Most Excellent!

My Micro professor from undergrad who I was pretty close to said, "Boy you fooled them," when I told him I got into medical school.

Surely in jest.

Surely in jest.

I know it was a joke.

Though I gave him an E. coli Giant Microbe after doing some TAing in lab for him and I told him my girlfriend gave me syphilis and gonorrhea but he didn't quite catch on at first until I explained it. He said, "What kind of girl are you with?" We all laughed.

I know it was a joke.

Though I gave him an E. coli Giant Microbe after doing some TAing in lab for him and I told him my girlfriend gave me syphilis and gonorrhea but he didn't quite catch on at first until I explained it. He said, "What kind of girl are you with?" We all laughed.

That's awesome... I now have good ideas for my next round of christmas gifts. Can you imagine my family when I have to explain to my 5 and 8 year old nieces that I gave them herpes for christmas? Hee hee :)

Hey everyone,

I'm coming in as an MS1 this August. I know I may be early, but how do they select which student goes to which hospital for MS3-MS4?

Is it based on grades?

Hey everyone,

I'm coming in as an MS1 this August. I know I may be early, but how do they select which student goes to which hospital for MS3-MS4?

Is it based on grades?

it's a lottery... you rank the different hospitals and hope for the best. :)