Wayne State University part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, how does one go about studying for the PD written exam? I've heard that anything from Bates is fair game....Is that true? And if so, are we just supposed to read and re-read the book?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So, how does one go about studying for the PD written exam? I've heard that anything from Bates is fair game....Is that true? And if so, are we just supposed to read and re-read the book?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

is this the exam where there is an old exam exactly like it going around? i can't find it on my computer, so maybe not. i don't really remember the written exam. i know for the practical you just have to memorize that checklist.

is this the exam where there is an old exam exactly like it going around? i can't find it on my computer, so maybe not. i don't really remember the written exam. i know for the practical you just have to memorize that checklist.

I don't remember any study sheet for this exam -- I just remember that it was not easy (unlike the clin med exams). The one with the circulating practice Q's is the continuity exam in 3rd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't remember any study sheet for this exam -- I just remember that it was not easy (unlike the clin med exams). The one with the circulating practice Q's is the continuity exam in 3rd year.
i am blanking on this exam... i know i never read bates though (or any PD book for that matter). If there was no study sheet, then I think the notes are probably all you need. sorry :(

The notes are terrible. The exam is supposedly strong on the peds stuff and the heart murmurs though supposedly all of the exam techniques and main diseases there are fair game. Unfortunately this does nothing to test whether we were actually doing the work as time went on vs. cramming before this exam which is how it will turn out because I've forgotten everything anyway.

Though fun8 if you forgot the test that is probably a good thing and probably meant you don't get nightmares about it. (Or Step 1 just overshadowed your May and June.)

To those of you who got accepted this cycle, I am trying to find a roommate who is in a similar situation as mine:

- Moving from OOS (California) to Detroit for med school.
- Looking to share a 2-bed,2-bathroom apartment 0.4 miles away from campus. (very close)
- Have a budget of 650/month for lease fees alone, but may be higher depending on availability of the apartment buildings. Reason I am doing this is because it costs something like 870/month to live in a 1bd/1bath that I won't be using all the space of.
- Would be willing to share all costs down the middle -- internet, utilities, (exception is parking, which costs ~$63 per month).
- I am the type to study at home very late at night, so late night noise/guests is definitely bad. Although since our academic interests will be shared, I don't think this is a problem.
- Otherwise, I am a pretty normal Asian-American, male, aged 24.

Send me a PM and we'll discuss the details!

I know I am wayyyy ahead of myself here.....but can I get this year 2 cd? I am an incoming M1 is there any year 1 cd as well?

pm me your mailbox name and i can try and get it to you the next time i am in scott hall. however, the CD was usually not all that helpful. just more stuff to read on top of the notes

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys ( 3rd and 4ths years), I need your opinion on how to pick up the order of the rotations.I think we have five or six to rank into the lottery system.I really don't know how thAt thing work so what do you guys think should be the best order if I want to start my rotation on july

thanks

Guys ( 3rd and 4ths years), I need your opinion on how to pick up the order of the rotations.I think we have five or six to rank into the lottery system.I really don't know how thAt thing work so what do you guys think should be the best order if I want to start my rotation on july

thanks

Depends what specialty you are leaning toward. Whatever it is pick it in the second half of the year because you definitely want to shine in that rotation for the grade and a good letter of recommendation. Plus, you want to have the elective after that specialty because many of them have requirements prior to starting the elective. That doesn't give you many options, so rank those highest and hope for the best.

FYI everyone, Wayne is increasing our tuition by 3% for next year.

Depends what specialty you are leaning toward. Whatever it is pick it in the second half of the year because you definitely want to shine in that rotation for the grade and a good letter of recommendation. Plus, you want to have the elective after that specialty because many of them have requirements prior to starting the elective. That doesn't give you many options, so rank those highest and hope for the best.

i really want to know where this money goes to. god damned thieves.

I've also been told by a few different people that having primary care block first is good since you are 1) somewhat more familiar with the material (post step 1) and 2) learn how to write a progress note well. I've heard from an MD that people who start on specialty block usually get kicked when they have to start writing full H&Ps come primary block.

But again, it depends on what you want to do. I don't think 2nd half of the year is a must, but rather that it's not your 1st or last rotation in the year.

Depending on specialty. I don't think I would start out with medicine or surgery. I think a lot of fields value your medicine and surgery grades higher than the others (I know it is that way in radiology and derm... probably others too).

I've also been told by a few different people that having primary care block first is good since you are 1) somewhat more familiar with the material (post step 1) and 2) learn how to write a progress note well. I've heard from an MD that people who start on specialty block usually get kicked when they have to start writing full H&Ps come primary block.

But again, it depends on what you want to do. I don't think 2nd half of the year is a must, but rather that it's not your 1st or last rotation in the year.

I did the block rotation with medicine last which was nice for Step 2 studying, though I did miss not having it (I think?) in some other rotations. I really don't think the order matters so much as long as you don't put something you think is a possible field choice first (need some time to get used to seeing real patients and writing notes).

pm me your mailbox name and i can try and get it to you the next time i am in scott hall. however, the CD was usually not all that helpful. just more stuff to read on top of the notes

Thanks a lot....I got it from ksav.
I appreciate all your help. See you in a few months.

horray, i passed step 2 CS.... barely!

Well, I for one, am VERY surprised.

After finding out I wasn't suppose to perform rectals OR the dirty sanchez finishing move, I thought I would have surely failed.

After finding out I wasn't suppose to perform rectals OR the dirty sanchez finishing move, I thought I would have surely failed.

I made the same mistakes, my friend -- I guess they finally learned that it's a common error.

Does anybody here remember the physical examination one had to undergo prior to matriculating? When do we turn the medical examination form, because the top of the sheet says "Confidential to the Doctor", which makes me wonder whether or not I'm supposed to see the results of my own physical.

Does anybody here remember the physical examination one had to undergo prior to matriculating? When do we turn the medical examination form, because the top of the sheet says "Confidential to the Doctor", which makes me wonder whether or not I'm supposed to see the results of my own physical.

Unless a first year can answer, you would be best off calling the Office of Student Affairs
http://www.med.wayne.edu/student_affairs/contact_us/index.asp

you turn that form in at registration during the first week (orientation). The doctor part is just for the doctor to fill out, you have to physically hand the paper work to wayne

I am going over my "tentative" schedule for step 1 studying - and I am not sure how realistic it is. How did you guys approach the step 1 studying in terms of "hours studied per day" on average. And - looking back - did you follow your schedules pretty closely?
Oh - and also - how did you get through GI - I really didn't think it could get more boring than derm - but then GI came around and I realized that I was wrong.
And last question - can we expect that we won't hear from tybalt, fun8stuff, mendell, etc. after fourth year is over for you guys - kind of the way oldjeeps disappeared?

anyone else freaked out by the "tell it like it is" session given by the 4th years yesterday? wah-ow.

What was there that you didn't know already from SDN? M1/M2 grades don't matter. Step 1 is extremely important and for competitive specialties you should have research. M3/elective grades are also very important. The best chance you have for a competitive specialty is your home institution. It's no secret that if you don't have a backup plan you are going to get burned. Apply to multiple specialties and especially local hospitals. It's the same for getting into medical school.

you turn that form in at registration during the first week (orientation). The doctor part is just for the doctor to fill out, you have to physically hand the paper work to wayne

Thank you very much!

I am going over my "tentative" schedule for step 1 studying - and I am not sure how realistic it is. How did you guys approach the step 1 studying in terms of "hours studied per day" on average. And - looking back - did you follow your schedules pretty closely?
Oh - and also - how did you get through GI - I really didn't think it could get more boring than derm - but then GI came around and I realized that I was wrong.
And last question - can we expect that we won't hear from tybalt, fun8stuff, mendell, etc. after fourth year is over for you guys - kind of the way oldjeeps disappeared?

i am going to be overworked first year of residency, so who knows what will happen to me. i will always be available by PM though. as for step 1, look at a lot of schedules and then make one for yourself. i think the kaplan method is A LOT to read and you can get bogged down in the details. you can do very well reading all of that kaplan stuff, but you are going to waste more time reading to get a similar score. you can do really well by knowing the basics, if you able to use some logic to figure out the multiple choice questions. my suggestion would be to read FA 2-3 times and on the first time through, use a review book to supplement each section (including BRS path and BRS phys, MMRS, HY neuro, RR biochem, etc). Do as many USMLE World questions as possible (complete the qbank or 50-100Qs/day). The key is to do so many questions that you can start to recognize patterns and similar types of questions and answer them in your sleep. There are a lot of questions/topics that ALWAYS get asked on Step 1 and you will master these ahead of time by doing USMLE world (or other qbank). During the last week, read through FA again and maybe a couple other areas you perceive as being tough... also review things like pharm and micro (BRS flash cards) that are good for short term cramming.... perhaps make a review sheet of things you need to remember. Do 1, 2 or 3 of the NBME practice exams (i dont think you need to do all of them, as they don't give explanations to the answers, so it can be kind of a waste of time if you do them all). If you want something more to do, review the questions you missed in USMLE world (i did this a little for step 2 and just scanned the question to try and quickly remember the question and why i missed it, without having to spend so much time redoing the question).

Hours per day is not that important as long as you do these things and stick to your schedule. I think I studied about the same amount that I had been for the year 2 stuff and gave myself a few days after year 2 to take a break before step 1 studying (moved downtown) and then took like 1-1.5 wks off afterward. I know I took at least 1 day off each week and sometimes 2 days in the beginning weeks.

Last edited:

I'll try not to disappear! :)

I'm doing prelim surgery as an intern year which I think is the definition of BOHICA - but I'll be around as much as possible to help you guys out.

Here is a link to my Step 1 study sched -

http://www.yousendit.com/download/dVlvSU5EQ0NqY3AzZUE9PQ

I studied for 7-8 hours a day and then leisurely did Kaplan Q-bank questions in the evening after I put my kids to bed - I would reccomend USMLE world instead though - after doing this for step 2 - it's much better. I also allowed days off and catch up time. I did questions relevant to what I studied that day.

Not to pump myself up, but really just to provide context to my schedule - I was an average student - 522 z-score after M2 - I got a 240 on step 1 with this scedule and books. I think the key is to stick to the schedule as much as possible and only do what is scheduled - plenty of days where I was done early.

Also my method was to use first aid as my base, learn that stuff, use the other books to reinforce and then annotate first aid with stuff from the other books. then my review time was spent reading first aid over and over.

also i just finihed a scotch and a beer so forgive me if the spelling is horrible and writing rambling. good luck rising M3s!. This is the last test that matters - so balls to the wall!

fun8,

You read my mind on what my plan was. I have BRS, High Yield, or Rapid Review for all the subjects that I will read through (and do all the mini quizzes at the end of the sections plus USMLE world questions every day). I planned on going through first aid multiple times during this time and once prior to the test plus the NBME exams.

Specifically, I just have to figure out what I'm doing each day and making sure I give enough time to the important subjects.

I thought the email was good with a lot of quotes from different students. Some of the things have been addressed, but most of them haven't.

Last edited:
That was a pretty nice, scathing email from GS that went out today. What do you guys think?

I did find it funny that Matt Jackson sent an e-mail out about list server abuse in response to it. It sure was a long read though

Hey, I'm still here on occasion. Which is more than I can say for the other posters that were on here from my class...
Have just been on here less and are more selective about when I post...
At least the end of PGY1 is in sight...
not sure I feel ready for the next jump in responsibility as I become a PGY2...

However, I still remain available by PM....

hey i found that old year 2 cd and the PD review sheet.. here they are:
http://www.yousendit.com/download/dVlxQmtjQ1BlcExIRGc9PQ
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8Q051XAL

The first link seems to be down, any chance you can re-host it?... and by chance do you remember if these were helpful at all?

Wow good work. The exam isn't until 5/18. Thanks again. :)

I think I'll be a closet gunner and not email this to the rest of the class.

haha, well perhaps you can be nice and at least share the first document with me? :thumbup:

The first link seems to be down, any chance you can re-host it?... and by chance do you remember if these were helpful at all?

haha, well perhaps you can be nice and at least share the first document with me? :thumbup:

i don't really recall much of the exam. i looked at these files to try and jog my memory... they were pretty long as well. i think i read them at least once though. there really isn't a good way to study this, given the notes suck and the book is so damn long. however these notes has a lot of things you will see again on shelf exams, step 1, and step 2.. so probably won't hurt to read through it. make sure you know how murmurs sounds and what exacerbates each murmmur. know the different lungs sounds, how to diagnose cranial nerve deficits, etc... stuff like that should be high yield.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5YMAA0CD
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8Q051XAL

I'm doing prelim surgery as an intern year which I think is the definition of BOHICA - but I'll be around as much as possible to help you guys out.

Here is a link to my Step 1 study sched -

http://www.yousendit.com/download/dVlvSU5EQ0NqY3AzZUE9PQ

I studied for 7-8 hours a day and then leisurely did Kaplan Q-bank questions in the evening after I put my kids to bed - I would reccomend USMLE world instead though - after doing this for step 2 - it's much better. I also allowed days off and catch up time. I did questions relevant to what I studied that day.

Not to pump myself up, but really just to provide context to my schedule - I was an average student - 522 z-score after M2 - I got a 240 on step 1 with this scedule and books. I think the key is to stick to the schedule as much as possible and only do what is scheduled - plenty of days where I was done early.

Also my method was to use first aid as my base, learn that stuff, use the other books to reinforce and then annotate first aid with stuff from the other books. then my review time was spent reading first aid over and over.

also i just finihed a scotch and a beer so forgive me if the spelling is horrible and writing rambling. good luck rising M3s!. This is the last test that matters - so balls to the wall!

i'll miss you, mendel :eek::(

wth!??! "integrated pharm" sounded borderline helpful but it's starting to feel like the M2's are getting wayne'd. THANKS WAYNE :mad:

wth!??! "integrated pharm" sounded borderline helpful but it's starting to feel like the M2's are getting wayne'd. THANKS WAYNE :mad:

So what was the purpose of this course? From what I heard it was new this year...

So what was the purpose of this course? From what I heard it was new this year...

i thought we had something like this... ??? i've blocked out a lot of those dark times, but i thought it was a nice review of pharm that was good prep before step 1. do the notes not look that good?

Does anybody know what happened to Charlie?

haven't heard, but please fill me in if you hear anything.

I got a message from someone else stating that she heard it was a heart attack. But I don't know how accurate that information is.... If it was an MI - 33...damn.

i thought we had something like this... ??? i've blocked out a lot of those dark times, but i thought it was a nice review of pharm that was good prep before step 1. do the notes not look that good?

"the poisoned patient" "pediatric/geriatric pharmacology" "substances of abuse" "prescription drug expenditures" "prescription writing, basic drug laws and medication safety" ... not too helpful at this point.